Code of Conduct

Default How to tell if one is a "sillage monster"?

I've read this term on a few threads on here and think I know what it means (is it someone on whom fragrance does not have much sillage at all i.e. you won't notice that person is wearing any scent unless you get up close?) but how can one tell if one is a 'sillage monster' or not?

Default Re: How to tell if one is a "sillage monster"?

"Sillage monster" usually refers to a perfume that is known to put out very heavy sillage.

What you describe is more like a sillage slayer.

Anyway, to answer your question "how can one tell?" I'm not sure. I haven't figured out how to accurately judge the amount of sillage my frag really puts out. I can only really tell the difference between a sillage monster and.....one that is not.

One of my sillage monsters - JHL - I can be sitting still even hours after applying this stuff and easily smell it wafting up from my wrists.

One of my not so sillage monsters - Idole de Lubin - after a couple hours, I have to sniff my wrist pretty close to be able to smell this one.

Maybe some other members have some other/better techniques for sillage testing.

I agree that the term is more for a fragrance will high sillage.

There is no real way to test for it except going by how strong you can smell it over the hours of the day that you are wearing it. Maybe you can have someone else wear it for the day and see if you smell them more or less as the day progresses. Obviously this will also take into account the longevity of that fragrance but that is the only way I can think about testing it. I usually am concious about how much sillage each bottle has.

Sillage Monster - Chergui by Serge Lutens

Not so much - Tea for Two by L'Artisan

When people that is 3 meters away of you complement your fragrance and people at 1/2 m starts to choke, then you ahve a sillage monster. Bottom line, I think that the only way to really tell the difference is by asking someone else if they can smell you.

Sillage Monster: One that enters the room before you do and leaves the room after you.

Spray A*Men or Terre d'Hermes all over your body, and then you will know what that means.

^ i'd probably be in a coma if i smell more than 3 sprays for a*amen on someone. It starts out great but get wayyyyy too oily and sickening /rant

i dont really think you can tell, i cant. if im looking for something with sillage i usually go by what people here say. sillage imo is pretty much the same as a perfume with a high scent.

Quote Originally Posted by ISmellGood View Post
    Sillage Monster: One that enters the room before you do and leaves the room after you.
    ha ha ha ha - so true!
    The classic Sillage monsters are those 80s perfumes that are so strong they can asphyxiate an entire lift-full of people.

As to whether your fragrance is overpowering, try the sniff test - if you can easily smell it after an hour or so without lifting your wrist to your nose, it's quite strong on you. If other people are moving away from you, it's definitely too strong!

The culprits vary from person to person. On me, Angel and Musk Ravageur are absolute sillage beasts, terrifying things. Yet I know of other people on these boards that wear them as comfort scents and on whom they wear close to the skin.

One tip is not to overspray - go slowly with it when you first wear a fragrance and see how it reacts with your skin. And try not to get real beasts like Ysatis on your clothes or they'll stay there for ages.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Quote Originally Posted by xclusive View Post
    ^ i'd probably be in a coma if i smell more than 3 sprays for a*amen on someone. It starts out great but get wayyyyy too oily and sickening /rant
    Try B*Men - like A*Men but with more oil/rubber etc.
    ===
    [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me nave, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross. ~ David Sedaris

A fart after beer and buffalo wings is considered a "sillage monster".

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    A fart after beer and buffalo wings is considered a "sillage monster".
    Wow...I think I just threw up a little after reading that.

I have days when i can be smelt a mile off and some when even i carnt smell my fragrance when i stick my head down my jumper (im doing this more and more since i started basenotes, people are getting worried) its cold every day and i always do the same amount of spraying so it seems to be a bit random.

I think Titanium by Tonino Lamborghini is a sillage moster. One day at uni i walked into one of my lecturer's office to hand in some paper work...one of the first things she said was 'wow you smell nice', and she was about 2 meters away. So i guess this is a sillage monster without being offensive.

this may be a silly question but is a sillage monster generally regarded as a good or a bad thing? I would be rather embarassed if people could smell me from miles away tbh... Do you adjust the amount of spritzes according to how big of a sillage monster a scent is?

Quote Originally Posted by Merlino View Post
    this may be a silly question but is a sillage monster generally regarded as a good or a bad thing? I would be rather embarassed if people could smell me from miles away tbh... Do you adjust the amount of spritzes according to how big of a sillage monster a scent is?
    I decide based on what im going to be doing, for the office id much rather have the scent close to my skin, or any such situation where im sitting next to people. Some offices like mine would get annoyed if everybody started dosing themselves in fragrance. I make sure i never put enough on, so the only people that can smell it are entering my personal space.

out in town im a bit vain and probably put too much on in the feeble hope of having a nice compliment. But i think some frags are too strong and any more than 3 sprays on my skin is not only is bothersome to people, it also smells awful. YSL M7 is my most potent one, and ive had my one and only comment from wearing it; "you smell like somthing, hmm, id better not say..." hehe

Quote Originally Posted by softmatty View Post
    I i carnt smell my fragrance when i stick my head down my jumper (im doing this more and more since i started basenotes, people are getting worried)
    LOL!
    I have started doing the same thing!
    I usually try new scents on my chest, to sort of "hide them" if they are sillage monsters. Then I stick my nose down my blouse to smell how they evolve through the day, which must look funny or even perverted to other people...