Code of Conduct

Question Transporting Fragrances - Moving Out

I'm going to be moving out of home again and back to my shoebox room and apartment and University. The big move day is Saturday 16th (thins month!) I think I've got most things pretty under control, luckily! My problem is that my perfume collection has pretty much doubled since I last transported it from Uni back to home.

I have 12 perfumes at the moment (4 more on their way, teehee!) and I'd like to know a safe and secure way to transport them amongst all the other stuff I'll be bringing along. I only have three boxes, but the rest have no boxes. I can't go too crazy on the packaging as I have very limited room in the car. Last time I just wrapped them all into a scarf and put them in a box amongst a bunch of cosmetics. Perhaps something like this will work again? How have basenoters moved their fragrance collections when they move homes?

Default Re: Transporting Fragrances - Moving Out

I'd wrap them seperately in a lot of newspapers. And then put them together in a box. That's how china and glass in stores are wrapped if you buy a couple.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

I've found that wine, beer, and liquor boxes from the bar are excellent for transporting things like this, because most of them have partitions that keep items separated. I would still wrap each item in newspaper or clothing for good measure.
    Sniff and let sniff.

Bubble wrap....this is the best way to ship and to transport them.
    Current Wishlist: Vetiver Extraordinaire, Rousse & Opus 1870

I use a small cardboard box that has become my transport box. I keep the boxes and fit them in tetris-style so that everything is secure and cannot move. I fill the remaining gaps with other items to ensure that everything is snug. I then put this cardboard box in a small, over the shoulder duffel bag, and it goes on top of all my other stuff.

I think bubble wrap or newspaper would be a good idea. It might be difficult to keep all the items in a box secure if any bottles have round edges, as is the case with some women's fragrances.

I think the bigger decision is which to bring! I don't want to bring everything, so I usually narrow it down to what I want to wear. Recently, when I was home, I changed some bottles over and now have a "at home" cardboard box in my closet, and a "bring and leave at school" cardboard box for when I am away. This ensures I always have smellies everywhere I go!

I'll be reboxing the 3 that still have their boxes, and the others I think... newspaper, or maybe clothes so I can save space (since I'd be bring the clothes anyway, hehee)! While bubblewrap woulod probably be ideal, I don't have a supply of it at home, and it can be somewhat bulky.

I really love tang's idea with the liquor boxes!! I'm going to try to search around the house and garage and see if I can find an old one lying around!

Thanks for the ideas everyone! I know this is a pretty basic question, but it's great to get ideas and advice from everyone, especially when I've only ever had to move about 5 bottles before now, which was easy. As with all collections... I guess the larger it gets, the more difficult it becomes to move around the place! Luckily my collection is small enough that I don't face the same problem as ChrisW, with picking which ones to stay at home and which to bring with me! Although if you look at it in another way.... because my collection is small you might not quite say that's so lucky! :P

That's okay...your collection will grow over time and you will have the problem that most of us face...too many frags (if there is such a thing)
    Current Wishlist: Vetiver Extraordinaire, Rousse & Opus 1870

My collection is the same size as yours Tavorna. I just figured that I didn't need to have EVERYTHING with me, but it was a tough decision. Yea, packing with the clothes is a good idea. No problem, I ran into the same problem before, good luck with the move!

Oh my! So it is! I don't think I could have your kind of self-control... even though it's taking up more room I MUST have all my collection with me! Even though it's only a year before I'll move back out again, I can only imagine there may be a day where I need one of them and.... whatever to do if it is not there?!

In short... I'm a hoarder, and paranoid!

Oh, and I can only hope my collection will grow! I'm sure it will at the rate I'm going. At least 2 or 3 new bottles per month added since I joined basenotes (which was only December 07!)

u can get bubblewrap at any uhaul. Along with boxes that have built-in cardboard separators for your glasses and dishes. They even have individual bubble wrap bags that are like baggies. THose would be ideal for your purposes. You can also get bubble wrap envelopes from the post office.

HTH.

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    I've found that wine, beer, and liquor boxes from the bar are excellent for transporting things like this, because most of them have partitions that keep items separated. I would still wrap each item in newspaper or clothing for good measure.
    X2.

Try using a couple 6-pack cases. Wrap some newspaper around each and put them in the individual slots.
    I have: Davidoff Relax, Dior Homme Sport, Boss Selection, Azzaro Visit, and Creed MI (will provide # on bottle for verification) available.

Looking for the following: DG The One, Himalaya, YSL L'Homme, John Varvatos (not vintage) Canali For Men or Paypal.