Code of Conduct

Default Grain de Plaisir -- OPINIONS, PLEASE

What can anyone here tell me about this little puppy? From the reviews, it sounds a lot like Baïme. (If I'm going to smell like salad dressing with basil leaves -- as I do in Baïme -- then I might do best to avoid Grain de Plaisir. Celery and lemon notes I can take, but Baïme -- a.k.a. basil with Miracle Whip -- is not my cup of tea.)

Opinions out there in Cybersnifferville?
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 11th February 2008 at 10:12 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Default Re: Grain de Plaisir -- OPINIONS, PLEASE

I'm not sure about its relationship to Baïme, but I feel that Grain de Plaisir smells very much like Nina Ricci's long-discontinued Phileas. Overall they sure are different, and if I didn't already own a full bottle of Phileas I could be tempted by GdP.

It's Yatagan with a bit of sweet and sour sauce. Not sure how to explain it but I think you would get a similar feel if you layer Yatagan with Geir.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    What can anyone here tell me about this little puppy? From the reviews, it sounds a lot like Ba´me. (If I'm going to smell like salad dressing with basil leaves -- as I do in Ba´me -- then I might do best to avoid Grain de Plaisir. Celery and lemon notes I can take, but Ba´me -- a.k.a. basil with Miracle Whip -- is not my cup of tea.)

Opinions out there in Cybersnifferville?
    I'm sure you've already read my none-too-enthusiastic review, but as to your specific question, no, Grain de Plaisir doesn't much resemble Baime. It's much drier, more savory, and has a certain gritty quality that Baime lacks. No significant basil to my nose.

I don't get any basil from it either, or any similarity to Baime. I love Baime, but think Grain de Plaisir is boring. I'll have to pull out my sample and see if it'll help me get some better thoughts.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Celery! I have an almost full bottle for swap.......:brolly:

No Antaeus for a swap though.....(wink!)

Dan
    Last edited by Lightninrod; 12th February 2008 at 12:00 AM.
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Basenotes Institution

Yeah - Lightinrod said it. I always thought of GdP as the celery extraordinaire scent, right after Yatagan of course.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I absolutely LOVED the citrus green opening of Grain de Plaisir. However, the drydown was quite 'meh' for a niche green scent. Longevity was average.

Yup, one of the best citrus openings up there with Antidote, imo (although significantly different.)

I like the drydown. It's pretty linear, a very 'clean celery' - unlike Yatagan's dirty celery/leather notes. A nice change from the usual clean scents.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Yup, one of the best citrus openings up there with Antidote, imo (although significantly different.)

I like the drydown. It's pretty linear, a very 'clean celery' - unlike Yatagan's dirty celery/leather notes. A nice change from the usual clean scents.
    I think the problem I had with this one was the sharp contrast between an amazing opening and a boring (and quite timid) drydown. I was really expecting the scent to stay up a couple of notches during the drydown stage.

However, I definitely prefer it over Baime.

I can agree with that Trebor. It is quite linear and yes, timid. I would never pay full price for it but if I could swap something for it or get it at 50% off or so, I'd consider it.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more