Code of Conduct

Default New Purchase and lots of samples arrived!

Well I have been a busy bee planning my trip to London, but asides from that I have had a really nice week, with making the purchase of my Valentine's present and also receiving many samples to try.

My purchase was of the Hermessences discovery set, feature a 15ml of Poivre Samarcande, Veviter Tonka, Ambre Nargule and Rose Ikebana. These four fragrances are great and come inside thebox each in their own travel bag which is a nice touch. A good value way of trying out all four fragrances, the cost being 70.

I also received samples of all four fragrances in the set, as well as samples of Osmanth Yunnan which is also very nice and Paprike Brasil which is very nice on application, but does not suit my skin on the drydown. I asked fr some non exclusive samples and was given Concentre D'Orange Verte, Kelly Caleche and Elixer Des Merveilles which I have yet to try!

Other samples have arrived since last week. The first to arrive were three Montale samples from Paris. I received samples of Red Aoud, Aoud Lime and Boise Vanille. These perfumes are strong, all I have to do is remove them from the envelope to sample their exquisite strength, but erhaps they are too overpwering. After a few hours they dry down in to fantastic sensual fragrances, although I dont think Anna is keen on them!

Next to arrive was six Etat Lebre D'Orange fragrances, which I am in the process of testing. The fragrances received are Delicious Closet Queen (very nice!), Antiheros (has its moments, but not worth purchasing), Nombril Immense (definately a female scent, so a no go there!), Divin Enfant (A fantasticly sweet fragrance, quite addictive too), Je Suis Un Homme (Nothing connects with me from this fragrance) and Eloge Du Traitre (Its ok, it grows on me arter wearing a while). So there are two that look worthy of purchase, Delicious Closet Queen and Divin Enfant. I am not really someone who meets the philosophy behind DCC but hope it is possible to disregard the marketing if I make a purchase.

I also received some other samples. Comptoir Sud Pacifique's Vanille Coco is a fantastic gourmand fragrance reminding me of smooth vanilla ice cream with chocolate, simply divine. Rance's Francois Charles is a nice fresh scent, an I have two others, Carthusia "Aria Di Capri" and Compos Ibiza "Cedro" which I have yet to sample.

And yet there was more! Two samples arrived today from Frederic Malle (I had almost given up hope of receiving them) as I received French Lover and Anfeliques Sous La Pluie. I am wearing both just now, one on each arm, both are great although I think French Lover wins out of the two. I will be trying out these fragrances muchmore over the coming weeks, receding my trip to London, hen I will make my next purchases! I cant wait!

Default Re: New Purchase and lots of samples arrived!

Have fun with all of those samples. I'd like to hear more of your impressions of the ELO scents, and the FMs.

LeeScot,
    I love reading your posts. You are so enthusiastic and that enthusiasm is infectious, in a good way of course!
    You have much sampling ahead of you and lots of great fragrances to sample.
    I look forward to reading more reviews from you and the news on your anticipated trip to London.
    For a relative "newbie" here on BN, you seem fragrance wise beyond your time.
    Enjoy and please keep us updated.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    Have fun with all of those samples. I'd like to hear more of your impressions of the ELO scents, and the FMs.
    Hello Carlos,

Today I have been wearing French Lover all day, and I have to say this is a luxurious green scent. I really lov the warm sensation of the Anglique note, providing a nice subtle sweetness to the mix.

Where Narcisso Rodriguez's For Him is the stylish, daredevil younger sibling in this style, French Lover comes accross as elegant, mature and chic, sensual and caring. There are similarities between the two fragrances effect wise and if you enjoy wearing for him you should really check out French Lover.

I will hopefully report back on the others later on.

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    LeeScot,
    I love reading your posts. You are so enthusiastic and that enthusiasm is infectious, in a good way of course!
    You have much sampling ahead of you and lots of great fragrances to sample.
    I look forward to reading more reviews from you and the news on your anticipated trip to London.
    For a relative "newbie" here on BN, you seem fragrance wise beyond your time.
    Enjoy and please keep us updated.

Eric
    Agreed.
    Im always glad when folks get to try new frags.
    Good luck on your trip.

I still haven't got anything from Montale or FM, and these two houses are the ones I most want to try (typical, huh?)

Try calling Parfumerie Generale, Bois de Copaiba is an amazing scent

AND

how do you find Ambre Narguile? I LOOOVE it. it's just so syrupy and yummy. The vanillia like notes blend perfectly with the slight resinous notes and then it goes on to a beautiful smoky amber, in perfect harmony! I swear, if I was younger, I'd be tempted to drink it!
    Last edited by Vivek; 12th February 2008 at 09:33 PM.

I can't wait to read your thoughts on Red Aoud.

I ordered a bottle directly from Montale blind. Yesterday i e-mailed Pierre asking when i could expect it. He said it when out Feb. 6 and it takes around a month to get here. The anticipation is killing me...!

I agree with evogel. You do seem "fragrance wise beyond your time." And i have to say, its very refreshing. Welcome to Basenotes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    I still haven't got anything from Montale or FM, and these two houses are the ones I most want to try (typical, huh?)

Try calling Parfumerie Generale, Bois de Copaiba is an amazing scent

AND

how do you find Ambre Narguile? I LOOOVE it. it's just so syrupy and yummy. The vanillia like notes blend perfectly with the slight resinous notes and then it goes on to a beautiful smoky amber, in perfect harmony! I swear, if I was younger, I'd be tempted to drink it!
    Hi Vivek

I got my Montale samples very quickly, but it will take time to decide if I will purchase one of these. They are of a very high stregth, believe me, you will know you have receiveda Montale when you open the envelope.

The strange thing with the Frederic Malle is that I had almost given up hope of receiving them, as I had requested the two samples over three weeks ago. I am really glad they arrived though!

Regarding Ambre Narguile, it is truly a fantastic fragrance, the blissfully sweet top notes and vanilla bring a smile to my face as it is first sprayed on my skin before the warmth of the amber settles, making a great fragrance for wearing both at work and at night!! I think it may just be my favourite, although Veviter Tonka gives it a run for it's money!!
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
    I can't wait to read your thoughts on Red Aoud.

I ordered a bottle directly from Montale blind. Yesterday i e-mailed Pierre asking when i could expect it. He said it when out Feb. 6 and it takes around a month to get here. The anticipation is killing me...!

I agree with evogel. You do seem "fragrance wise beyond your time." And i have to say, its very refreshing. Welcome to Basenotes.
    Hello ajmc,

Thanks for the kind words! I have tried Red Aoud on my hand thus far but not on my body yet. I may try it tomorrow to let you know what I think. One month is a long time to wait, but you know it will definately be wrth it. Once the drydown is complete the scent is truly divine!!

Tonight I sprayed Compos de Ibiza "Cedro" on my hand and have to say that this is an extremely pleasing scent. It feels like a more subtle take on the classic Christian Dior fragrance "Fahrenheit" and looks certain to be purchased in London, as Les Senteurs is selling this fragrance as a 100ml EDT for an amazing 11.25!!

I will update everyone shortly on the fragrances I have still to try out! Hopefully it will lead to a few great purchases in the coming months.
    Last edited by LeeScot; 12th February 2008 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

HOLY CRAP! I was JUST in the Hermes Boutique lamenting the fact there was no discovery set (the SA told me I could only buy 3 travel bottles of the same fragrance in a set... Is this new?? I've really been hoping this would become available! Thanks so much for the heads up.

Hi there, dont think it is new, but it is definately possible to buy. Perhas your local boutique does not stock it, but I would be surprised if they couldnt order the discovery kit in.

Mines came direct from Paris, perhaps yu should ask if they can order it for you.

In the London store (Sloane St) the discovery set is also available and I think it's available in the Selfridges Concession

I re-sent my e-mail to montale, as i'm dying to try some of their not-so-popular scents, e.g. Greyland, Soleil de Capri and Embruns D’essaquira along with the ever so popular Black Aoud And, hopefully Malle will come through, as I called Les Senteurs, and they send 1ml samples for £2.50 (or something like that) and Malle send 5ml samples for free (or so i've read) and call me cheap, but I don't like paying for samples, knowing that I can get them for free (just makes me cringe)

My mom sweetalked her Chanel SA into sending Les Exclusifs samples out (I tried, with no luck :P) i'll let you know if they're worth visiting the Chanel boutique for (something makes me think no, I think it's the combination of price and wow factor)

What's Concentre D'Orange Verte like? I tired the L'Eau D'Orange Verte on a card, and was a bit meh, but I still want to give it a full run

Could you please give us more details about Eau D'Orange Verte - Divin Enfant? Does it last?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by nthny View Post
    HOLY CRAP! I was JUST in the Hermes Boutique lamenting the fact there was no discovery set (the SA told me I could only buy 3 travel bottles of the same fragrance in a set... Is this new?? I've really been hoping this would become available! Thanks so much for the heads up.
    I think the SA you spoke to is mistaken. All Hermes boutique sell the set of 4 - you can either get all four different, or all four of the same scent. But the set is four, not three. What city is your Hermes boutique in Anthony?

Hi Vivek,

I understand what you mean about aying for samples, and it is a non starter in my books. I will try and get some samples in store, as they are guaranteed at least two purchases (one Malle and Campos de Ibiza, and possibly the addition of a Parfumerie Generale, time will tell). The samples from Malle are 2ml spays, but believe me, with the strength of the Montale's it will be like having a 5ml tester.

I have still to try the Concentrate D'Orange Verte out. I might do this tomorrow, as there has just been so many samples to get through. I get excited each morning wondering what to try out next!

Also, how much are the les exclusifs? I cant find a price for them anywhere, but hope to try them out on my travels!

Hi Whitechandoo

Are you referring to the Etat Libre D'Orange "Divin Enfant"? If so I tried this fragrance out poperly on Wednesday, and can say I really enjoy the fragrance. On my skin it is sweet and candy like, and not overpowering. The lastability of the fragrance is pretty good, after being applied from a vial yesterday at 7.00am (no spray) I could still get whiffs ofthe fragrance today, even after the application of another fragrance!

I have generally found that the Etat Libre D'Orange fragrances last a little less than some other ADPs but still have a good lastability. They are reasonably priced too, so if you like a particular fragance it is definately worth buying!

Today I am wearing Comptoir Sud Pacifique's Vanille Coco which is a lovely fragrance! It starts with a strong burst of Coconut and strong vanilla, before drying down to the vanilla essence of the scent. Eight hours after being sprayed the chcolate sentation is kicking in, smooth and creamy, like a Galaxy bar of chocolate! Anna loves it too, and at £42 for 100ml it's definately near the top of my want list!
    Last edited by LeeScot; 14th February 2008 at 11:06 PM.