Code of Conduct

Default Serge Lutens: Fleurs D'Oranger vs Fleurs de Citronnier?

I recently acquired a sample of Fleurs D'Oranger and tested it. I found it pleasant enough to consider buying it, but I feel there's a syrupy quality to it that might make it a little too heavy for my liking... Then I read reviews of Fleurs de Citronnier, and apparently it's sprightlier than its cousin - that might just be the thing I'm looking for, a floral for the coming spring. Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to sample it myself

What do you guys think? Has anyone smelled both? Would it be correct to assume that FdC might be considered "Fd'O light"?

Default Re: Serge Lutens: Fleurs D'Oranger vs Fleurs de Citronnier?

These two are both nice, But the lasting power is near zero. Make sure you get samples first to see if they'll work for you. If you like the Fleurs D'Oranger but would like better lasting power, give Bigarade Concentree by Frederick Malle a try.

Off-Scenter

I have tried both, and I have to say I don't have any longevity problems. I think Fleurs de Citronnier is much brighter and livelier than Fleurs d'Oranger. Champagne vs. sauternes. I like Bigarade Concentree, but it has none of the two Lutens scents' floral character.

I like FDO for a woman, in fact, this might be the first of the list of bottles my next girlfriend will get.

I prefer Penhaligon's Castile to FDC.

So I guess, for a guy, I'd choose neither and go for the Castile. Same price too.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Vibert's spot on - I'm looking for a floral, so BC, as much as I respect any work of JCE, doesn't really fit what I'm looking for. I don't have any longevity problems with Fleurs d'Oranger either.

I have heard about Castile; looks like I may have to investigate on that one.

I have a small sample of Fleurs d'Oranger which I've liked personally but got feedback that there was something overpowering (or perhaps - as you said - "heady") about it. That one negative vibe experience has made me hesitate getting a full bottle. It could be that it works better in the summer time. Despite its name, I can't honestly say that I get a lot of "orange" here (like one does with Bigarade Concentree - of which I have a couple samples). I don't know if I'm correct here but I tend to get more Jasmine. It definitely has a fairly, sweet spring garden like feel to it. (I've been on the look-out for the perfect spring garden scent and this has been one of the candidates for me.) It should be sampled as much a possible before going for that big purchase.

I bought a full bottle of Fleurs de Citronnier a few months ago. I find it, as Vibert writes, brighter and livelier - a mood uplifting scent. FDO and FDC are quite different IMO. FDC has a definite lemony side to it (unlike FDO in relation to an "orange" side). I would definitely recommend getting a sample of FDC, though, before buying some.

It should be mentioned that L'Artesan Parfumeur has a limited edition (and expensive) "Fleur d'Oranger" which would be interesting to sample. (luckyscent.com sells samples).

lessenteurs.com has a sample service which includes FDC & FDO

I would like to try Fleurs D'Orangeur, as it sounds like a nice citrus floral that I would enjoy. I have tried FdC and it is also nice, but without the impact that maybe makes it a must buy...

... or perhaps it was because I tried Un Bois Vanille and got distracted by something that really needs purchased!!!

I tried FDO today and i can say that its longevity is above average. My skin kills fragances and this has lasted at least 4 hours with decent sillage, i could smell it myself.
    6 hours in, and i still get some whiffs of it.

I prefer Fleurs d'Oranger. It's richer and more balanced. I find Fleurs de Citronnier too sweet and I don't like the tuberose in it. (Fd'O has tuberose, too, but it's better blended)
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Two masterpieces if you happen to like neroli. d'Oranger is darker, earthier and has a touch of evil--Feels like Lucifer. It's like a very modern interpretation of Narcisse Noire. Citronnier, on the other hand, is angelic and transparent; swee and quite pristine but never shy.

Blog Entries

Having tried both, l personally prefer FdC for all the reasons given above; it is brighter & livelier, whereas FdO is kind of warm & syrupy to my nose. However, neither lasted more than an hour on me so l had to pass on a full bottle.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Delmar View Post
    I've been on the look-out for the perfect spring garden scent and this has been one of the candidates for me.
    l love spring garden scents too! Have you tried Annick Goutal's Un Matin d'Orage? lt fits the bill perfectly for me, would also recommend Le Chevrefeuille, a gorgeous honeysuckle with a lemony freshness.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    These two are both nice, But the lasting power is near zero. Make sure you get samples first to see if they'll work for you. If you like the Fleurs D'Oranger but would like better lasting power, give Bigarade Concentree by Frederick Malle a try.
    They are both very nice, but I prefer FdO because of my love of the smell of orange blossoms on my street. The lasting power is great on me, I do not have dry skin so that might help. If perfume is fairly clear then I also get a little on my shirts and that definitely ensures lasting power.
    ~~~~ www.nascio.com.au ~~~~

I don't have longevity issues with Fleurs d'Oranger, for me, it's one of my longer lasting Lutens (much longer lasting than Chergui, par example)
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Off-Scenter View Post
    I think Fleurs de Citronnier is much brighter and livelier than Fleurs d'Oranger
    too accurate perceptions.
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Also prefer Fleurs D'Oranger

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Also prefer Fleurs D'Oranger
    I prefer that too. For me these two are quite different, Citronnier may be brighter and livelier as some stated before, but D'oranger is a different fragrance. I don't think Lutens made these fragrance to compete between themselves, they're different, they have different moods. I reach for FdO when I want to enjoy the smell of fresh orange blossoms, that's something I don't get with FdC, which is good too, fantastic when it's hot.
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!