Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 31 of 31
  1. #1
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,864

    Default Domenico Caraceni - a mini review and a discussion on melancholy/sad scents

    It seems as if a month-or-so ago, Basenotes literally exploded with discussions on Domenico Caraceni. Michael (sloan_8013) was generous enough to give me a small sample of DC - and I have patiently worked my way through three full wearings since. Some of the 'old timers' here on Basenotes really talked highly about DC, so my expectations were pretty high. In addition, I personally witnessed DC being 'recruited' by Basenotes members to the owner(s) of Luckyscent, ultimately making DC available to all online US sales (link here). Futhermore, I love rose scents. Falling in love with DC seemed like a no brainer, right?

    Well...it's not that simple:

    - The top notes of DC open with what I can only decribe as aromatic pungency - some Basenoters have described it as bozzy, and I can see why. The combination of frankincense (yes, right in the top notes - charging out of the gate) and petit grain give it a grain alcohol-ish aura. Not extremely pleasant but not off putting either. It is incredibly bright and anyone who would take a hard sniff of their skin right after applying DC will most likely recoil back in pain.
    - The rose and geranium notes arrive and boy, are they DARK. I thought No. 88 was a dark rose scent, and it is. But in my opinion DC is much darker. Of course, it's a gentlemanly and conservative kind of darkness. Confectionery roses, in all of their glory. PLEASE do not take these descriptions as me saying DC and No. 88 are similar. They are not. However the geranium / rose accord when it arrives, strikes the same 'shadow', if you will. It's quite unmistakeable.
    - At about an hour or two on my skin, the scent really gave off a lot of sillage. Simultaneously, the scent became much more melancholic and 'sad'. The color I associate with this is dark purple. I imagine besides Voleur de Roses, this is perhaps the saddest fragrance I've ever smelled. I remember some talk here on the board about DC and it's 'aromatherapy' aspects - so perhaps I'm not alone in this.
    - I didn't get the 'new magazine smell' that some Basenoters mentioned - to me, that description sounds like glue, ink, paper, etc. I couldn't smell any of these accords in DC.
    - I don't agree with some online reviews that mention a chypre-like quality in DC - to me, I smell no amber or mossy notes. Supposedly there's tobacco in the middle notes? I didn't smell any either.
    - Caraceni makes suits (in Italy) and yet, I don't think DC smells like a well tailored suit at all. Perhaps the perfect scent for a funeral, or a night going out to a Goth club - but Italian tailoring? No.
    - The first time I wore DC, I thought it smelled powdery. I hate powdery scents. The 2nd and 3rd time I wore it, this powdery effect was nonexistent.
    - Do I respect and admire this scent? Yes. The way this fragrance transitions from top, middle and base notes is quite fascinating. Many JC Ellena scents achieve this well calibrated sequence of notes (Ambre Narguile comes to mind) - so IMO the perfumer who did DC (?) knows his stuff! In addition, the scent literally reeks of quality - without coming across as too high brow. Which is not as easy as it sounds.
    - Do I want to own it? No. It is not better IMO than No. 88 - which I plan on owning very soon. To me No. 88 is clearer, slightly more soapy and one of the easiest rose scents for me to wear (well, except for Rose 31).

    Here's the thing - I've been spending all afternoon trying to figure out WHY this fragrance smells 'sad' to me? The ingredients contained in DC are in many other fragrances, that I don't label as sad. Same goes for other rose prominent scents that I love and wear with no connotations of sadness (No. 88, Rose 31, Rose Poivree, Black Aoud) - so then why DC? In addition, why do any of us for that matter find scents 'sad'?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 12th February 2008 at 08:54 PM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

    -- Eckhart Tolle

  2. #2
    Off-Scenter
    Guest

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - a mini review and a discussion on melancholy/sad scents

    I have a few melancholy scents myself, but boy are they defferent from yours. Top of the charts is En Passant. That's right, En Passant. Something in its delicate wet lilac accord strikes me as intensely nostalgic, and leaves me slightly misty-eyed whenever I smell it. In second place is L'Eau de Ryokuei - another light, fresh green floral. What gives? I don't know but the Menard scent delivers a similar, if milder dose of nostalgia to my olfactory center.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - a mini review and a discussion on melancholy/sad scents

    Nice review Mike, thanks.

    I don't find it sad but I do find that opening quite unpleasant. I agree about the sillage, it comes out strong after an hour or two which is unusual. However the sillage, and indeed the whole fragrance seem to lack substance and depth to me. There is something watery about the way it sits on me. To me it tries to be all things to all men; serious, light, sweet, sharp, dark, formal, gothic...the rose is not featured enough to sing an aria nor is it integrated enough to melt into the choir. It just doesn't really work for me.
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 12th February 2008 at 10:36 PM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

    "Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

    reviews

  4. #4

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - a mini review and a discussion on melancholy/sad scents

    Yes, good commentary, rather than a review, I would think. I am not sure about DC. I like it a lot, and for some reason I don't find it to be melancholy. I think Patricia Nicolai's New York is very melancholy, but this isn't really. I guess my only problem with it is that I intend to get one rose-type fragrance this quarter, and I am pretty sure now that it's going to be Rose 31. Funny, I was one of the guys who lobbied Franco to get DC, but I still think it was a good idea for him to bring it in. Right now, DC is not the one, but it is a very special scent.
    Last edited by Joe_Frances; 12th February 2008 at 11:01 PM.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - a mini review and a discussion on melancholy/sad scents

    I got into my friends car the other day. The inside smells like a mixture between a car fresher and the still lingering smell of tobacco, because he smokes. Right away it popped Domenico Caraceni in my mind.

    I've tested it more now, gave it a full days wearing last week. The topnotes to me, smells like chemicals. I don't see anything sad or gothic about it, but it might behave differently on your skin. Perhaps linked to a memory of something.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 12th February 2008 at 11:04 PM.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - a mini review and a discussion on melancholy/sad scents

    I ended up buying a bottle of DC1913. It's a very stern fragrance, but I like it's dark and mysterious attitude.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - a mini review and a discussion on melancholy/sad scents

    Thanks for the write-up on Domenico Caraceni, Mike... I wish I could contribute about the fragrance but I haven't yet experienced it, and now after your review, I can't decide whether I can say I'm dying to do so or not

    A fragrance which makes me feel very melancholic, leaning toward lonely is Odeur 71. It not only makes me think of office equipment... it makes me feel like I'm in the office after hours, and not supposed to be. Perhaps DC illicits some kind of connection to a moment in your past, subconciously. Looking at it in reverse, it's why fragrances like Eau d'Orange Vert feel "happy". It can take someone out of the winter and put them in a happy memory of green spring or summer happiness.

  8. #8
    Dependent
    fredricktoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Clearwater, Fl
    Posts
    4,197

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - a mini review and a discussion on melancholy/sad scents

    Etro's Messe de Minuit is usually mentioned as one of the darkest scents for sale. I mention it because it was described as something possibly worn in the monastery in Umberto Eco's book and movie "Name of the Rose".

    Citrus and mints are truly uplifting scents. Who can stay depressed with a 6.5oz bottle of eau de Orange Verte in hand.

    I have Domenico Caraceni (which just showed up one day? no back story. No cap illustrated on the website. How long have people worn it?) Czechk & Speake 88 we know it's provenance and Le Labo was born last year in NYC? I plan to sniff them side by side and have before and find myself partial to Rose 31.

    I'm trying to like florals and if I ever suceed it will be with roses which I delighted in growing once.

    CB I Hate Perfume's Tea Rose is a masterpiece btw. by itself or layered.

    Incense Rose from Tauer in March. Can't wait.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - a mini review and a discussion on melancholy/sad scents

    Nice Review Mike. I agree that maybe something from your life experience induces the feelings you get from Domenico Caraceni. It happens. We bring everything we are to the table when we sniff a frag and get initial impressions. DC is such a deep and emotional frag IMO, it is sure to have different perceptions for different people. I think it is very easy,however for us to over analyze and ponder endlessly about this enigmatic frag. I always go back to: Do I simply like the way it smells and makes me feel?

    I enjoy reading everyone's in depth reviews and analysis on the board, but I have found that my simplicity is what got me here...I got away from it (easy to do around here)...but I went back to simplicity around November. It serves me best. I go with my gut feeling, my initial impressions, and just decide: Do I enjoy this on me or not? The more I analyze, compare, ponder, wonder what others here are saying...the more I get away from what smell does for me at my basic pleasure level. Does it make me say wow!, Does it make me smile?, Do I want it in my life? Yes, Yes and Yes on DC.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 13th February 2008 at 06:20 PM.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - a mini review and a discussion on melancholy/sad scents

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    The rose and geranium notes arrive and boy, are they DARK. I thought No. 88 was a dark rose scent, and it is. But in my opinion DC is much darker. Of course, it's a gentlemanly and conservative kind of darkness.
    My feelings exactly. I kind of disregarded that perception at first since No. 88 is my favorite, so far ahead of most others that wearing it is always uplifting/happy to me. But no - it's true, DC is darker. Not gloomy, it's just more staid, restrained, conservative. DC is a beautiful, 5-star scent for sure but the personality of it is much less striking than No. 88.

    The opening does have a grain alcohol, chemical aspect to it, and for a while, it reminds of something else, maybe Caswell Massey Greenbriar (?)

    I'm glad to own DC (thanks to all who recommended it and got it stocked at Luckyscent) - it is one I reach for on many work days when I want something that's sure not to offend or challenge anyone too much. PdN New York is like that too - almost always a comfortable, appropriate, and tasteful choice.

  11. #11
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,864

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - a mini review and a discussion on melancholy/sad scents

    Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    I have Domenico Caraceni (which just showed up one day? no back story. No cap illustrated on the website. How long have people worn it?) Czechk & Speake 88 we know it's provenance and Le Labo was born last year in NYC? I plan to sniff them side by side and have before and find myself partial to Rose 31.
    Funny coincidence. I came home tonight and post-shower put on some Rose 31 (it was on my mind, from my review). I am partial to this too frederick...I would love to hear your thoughts on DC, 88 and R31 side-by-side - but for me, R31 is my fav'.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    I agree that maybe something from your life experience induces the feelings you get from Domenico Caraceni. It happens. We bring everything we are to the table when we sniff a frag and get initial impressions. DC is such a deep and emotional frag IMO, it is sure to have different perceptions for different people...
    ______________________

    The more I analyze, compare, ponder, wonder what others here are saying...the more I get away from what smell does for me at my basic pleasure level. Does it make me say wow!, Does it make me smile?, Do I want it in my life? Yes, Yes and Yes on DC.
    Yes Barry - DC 'pushes some buttons' for me, for sure. I remember you mentioning the same thing when you skin tested Jean Louis Vermeil (the olfactory image you described about your uncle in the station wagon, everything plastic smelling...) - smells, memories, etc. Strange, isn't it?

    And yes - as you said, it is very simple, this love of fragrance we all share. When I came home tonight and put on some Rose 31 I wasn't trying to analyze it, sniffing myself constantly, etc. I was just loving the way it smelled - plain and simple.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 13th February 2008 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

    -- Eckhart Tolle

  12. #12

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - a mini review and a discussion on melancholy/sad scents

    I went through a decant in short order and I do enjoy it quite a bit. The downside for me
    is the drydown, which doesn't seem weighty or rich enough, in my opinion. I love the top
    notes, though. The petit grain is well blended with the other notes. The top notes got me
    all primed for a spectacular drydown, which in the end was a bit of a letdown. Still, I may
    get this one. It is far superior to the vast majority of scents being introduced these days,
    and it is pleasantly distinctive to me. My sampling of C&S No. 88 was too brief, but it seemed
    less interesting and more linear to me than DC does. To each nose their own, I guess.
    But, we are talking about excellent choices all around in this category. The one I really should
    sniff again before committing to DC is Rose Poivree, which I thought was spectacular. The price
    is steep, though, and Ellena's scents usually don't last long enough for me.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - a mini review and a discussion on melancholy/sad scents

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    ...- At about an hour or two on my skin, the scent really gave off a lot of sillage. Simultaneously, the scent became much more melancholic and 'sad'. The color I associate with this is dark purple. I imagine besides Voleur de Roses, this is perhaps the saddest fragrance I've ever smelled....
    I had to read this twice to take it all in. The kind of review I like most, Thanks MikeP! If I had any doubts whether or not I should make this scent my own they are all gone now! A morbid interest in sadness? I guess not. Some deep joys I feel, are based on something that does not exclude sadness. That's the way I enjoy Voleur dR: as something extremely beautiful which makes me very happy - not in spite, but perhaps even because some melancholy is connected with it, too. A feeling which also the morning fog rising from freshly plowed fields can create in me, even in spring time.

    ps: C&S 88 has so many things going on, that I cannot come to peace with it. I sampled it several times before I decided to choose BlackA instead.
    Last edited by narcus; 13th February 2008 at 03:24 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - a mini review and a discussion on melancholy/sad scents

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    At about an hour or two on my skin, the scent really gave off a lot of sillage. Simultaneously, the scent became much more melancholic and 'sad'. The color I associate with this is dark purple. I imagine besides Voleur de Roses, this is perhaps the saddest fragrance I've ever smelled. I remember some talk here on the board about DC and it's 'aromatherapy' aspects - so perhaps I'm not alone in this.
    I find VdR to be sad, but for all the wrong reasons (i.e. not of the melancholy kind).

    Perhaps Encens et Lavande can be classified as sad (melancholy)....the stark incense note lending a moody cloudy aura to a deep purple lavender note...imagine Simon Cowell's mood after a trip to Africa to witness the sub-human living conditions in Sudan/Darfur..

    Heck, even Erolfa comes off as fairly melancholy at times ... a promising young surfer (whose career has been cut short by a freak accident) contemplating suicide while standing at the edge of a pier, staring into a dark and stormy sea with gigantic waves threateningly approaching land...
    -

  15. #15

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - a mini review and a discussion on melancholy/sad scents

    Quote Originally Posted by dwntwnjay View Post
    My feelings exactly. I kind of disregarded that perception at first since No. 88 is my favorite, so far ahead of most others that wearing it is always uplifting/happy to me. But no - it's true, DC is darker. Not gloomy, it's just more staid, restrained, conservative. DC is a beautiful, 5-star scent for sure but the personality of it is much less striking than No. 88.
    Interesting fact: The Italian company that produces Caraceni, as well as the Gianni Campagna line, Forester in Milano, also produce (drumroll) - the entire C&S line, including No.88. And, I believe, Washington Tremlett (at least they distribute that one). These guys are seriously into high-end rose.

    http://www.askforester.it/

    Am I a good researcher or what
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - a mini review and a discussion on melancholy/sad scents

    Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Interesting fact: The Italian company that produces Caraceni, as well as the Gianni Campagna line, Forester in Milano, also produce (drumroll) - the entire C&S line, including No.88. And, I believe, Washington Tremlett (at least they distribute that one). These guys are seriously into high-end rose.

    http://www.askforester.it/

    Am I a good researcher or what

    A small correction though, : Washington Tremlett, yes, but C&S , no...not anymore that is, untill 2005 I believe.
    C&S fragrances are produced by another company, namely Intertrade cosmetics: http://www.intertradeurope.com/Site/...hp?intLangID=2

    which also produces Carthusia, Clive Cristian,Miller Harris, the recently hyped Nassomato and...erm Bond no.9 ( I'll forgive them for that, ..not everyone is perfect)
    Last edited by eric; 13th February 2008 at 01:31 PM.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - a mini review and a discussion on melancholy/sad scents

    Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    A small correction though, : Washington Tremlett, yes, but C&S , no...not anymore that is, untill 2005 I believe.
    C&S fragrances are produced by another company, namely Intertrade cosmetics: http://www.intertradeurope.com/Site/...hp?intLangID=2

    which also produces Carthusia, Clive Cristian,Miller Harris, the recently hyped Nassomato and...erm Bond no.9 ( I'll forgive them for that, ..not everyone is perfect)
    Just checked, you're right, they ceased production of C&S in 2005 (the Italian version says so, English does not). Does that explain the reformulation of No. 88 that was recently discussed?
    Last edited by the_good_life; 13th February 2008 at 01:46 PM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

  18. #18
    Dependent
    fredricktoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Clearwater, Fl
    Posts
    4,197

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - a mini review and a discussion on melancholy/sad scents

    produce as in production of a formula, pour it into a barrel and get it out the door I believe. Further investigation may find that in different countries production is handled by different companies. These companies are probably deemed capable of following the recipe reliably and they may not even be bottling the stuff they produce. Interesting stuff and great research fellows.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - a mini review and a discussion on melancholy/sad scents

    Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Just checked, you're right, they ceased production of C&S in 2005 (the Italian version says so, English does not). Does that explain the reformulation of No. 88 that was recently discussed?
    If there was a reformulation, maybe. But it's confusing.
    The older version of C&S was said to be "made in Italy" I believe? But I have the new version , distributed by Intertrade, which is also an Italian company. But on the box it says "Made in England". (to be honest, a C&S fragrance being "made in England"is more logic to me than a "made in Italy"one).

    Looking at the Intertrade website I see that they are also based all over Europe, including England. So maybe that explains the "made in England". Again, confusing.

    But, back on topic. I have both Caraceni and no.88, and I find neither one of them to be dark, in smell and overall feel. The Caraceni is a real feelgood fragrance for me, and I always feel comfortable to wear it. It's not heavy or stuffy.
    Last edited by eric; 13th February 2008 at 03:42 PM.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - a mini review and a discussion on melancholy/sad scents

    Interesting experience Mike. I agree with JWS regarding the possibility some notes and/or accords in Domenico Caraceni evoke some of your memories tinged with sadness. On the other hand, I find nothing sad or melancholy in Domenico Caraceni. The cypress in the base is very calming and soothing to me. DC is a perfect scent for all seasons and occasions.

    Side note on aromatherapy uses for cypress: "Psychologically, Cypress it thought to balance the sympathetic nervous system and can be helpful in relieving nervous tension and stress related conditions. It is also considered to be useful as a spiritual aid for transitions, particularly death. It can also help to ease the pain of losses of all kinds, particularly when one is experiencing the loss of someone close."--West Coast Aromatherapy
    Last edited by Sloan; 13th February 2008 at 06:40 PM. Reason: sp

  21. #21
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,864

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - a mini review and a discussion on melancholy/sad scents

    Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013 View Post
    Interesting experience Mike. I agree with JWS regarding the possibility some notes and/or accords in Domenico Caraceni evoke some of your memories tinged with sadness. On the other hand, I find nothing sad or melancholy in Domenico Caraceni. The cypress in the base is very calming and soothing to me. DC is a perfect scent for all seasons and occasions.

    Side note on aromatherapy uses for cypress: "Psychologically, Cypress it thought to balance the sympathetic nervous system and can be helpful in relieving nervous tension and stress related conditions. It is also considered to be useful as a spiritual aid for transitions, particularly death. It can also help to ease the pain of losses of all kinds, particularly when one is experiencing the loss of someone close."--West Coast Aromatherapy
    Pluran mentioned something similar on the other Caraceni thread. Yet, as much as I sniffed and sniffed, I couldn't detect much cypress in the base notes.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

    -- Eckhart Tolle

  22. #22

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - a mini review and a discussion on melancholy/sad scents

    Thanks, Mike, for the review and for starting this discussion. The fragrance that I find most melancholic is L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain. I don’t know why, but L'Heure Bleue seems to have the smell of melancholy. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that Jacques Guerlain created L'Heure Bleue to represent the “Blue Hour”, that time of day just before the evening when the sun has not quite set. I think it is sometimes natural at this time of day to have feelings of regret and sadness that every fine and good thing that could possibly have occurred that day did not in fact occur.

    I should know by now that different people have different fragrance perceptions and preferences, but I still find myself surprised when someone’s perceptions and preferences are different than mine. Domenico Caraceni Pour Homme is one of my all time favorite fragrances. In my review of Domenico Caraceni in the Basenotes Directory, I mentioned that the opening of Domenico Caraceni is so beautiful and powerful that it almost reminds me of a trumpet call. Domenico Caraceni is a beautiful and intense fragrance, but it is an intensity of light and joy and optimism and the perception that all good things are possible.

    I have smelled no other fragrance with a note of Rose like the Rose in Domenico Caraceni. The only time I have smelled this note of Rose before is during the time I was experimenting with essential oils, absolutes, and Aromatherapy. The note of Rose in Domenico Caraceni is Rose Absolute, and it is my opinion that this note of Rose successfully carries all of the positive life-nurturing traits of the Rose as it occurs in Nature. Also, to my nose, this is a masculine Rose and quite suitable for a man to wear (not that a woman also couldn’t wear it).

    I would like to also comment on how the Frankincense in Domenico Caraceni complements the note of Rose, but I haven’t successfully thought through everything I sense and want to express. Suffice it to say that, in my opinion, the time-honored and well-known spiritual quality of Frankincense is a very worthy companion to the Rose in Domenico Caraceni. What a bright and resplendent Frankincense this is!

    I think Domenico Caraceni is one of very best Rose dominant fragrances for men. Domenico Caraceni has a beautiful progression through its top, middle, and base notes, and it also has very good longevity. Whenever I apply Domenico Caraceni to my skin, I am slightly amazed and in awe of its splendid and magnificent beauty. This is a fragrance that seems to have an uplifting affect on my mind and spirit. Simply put, I love wearing this fragrance.
    .

  23. #23

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - a mini review and a discussion on melancholy/sad scents

    Rockford,

    I think we are both certainly captured by Domenico Caraceni.

    I have thought and searched for 2 weeks on the perfect frag for my 45th birthday on Friday. I wanted it to say something about where I was in my life as I put my foot firmly down on middle age. I searched for a frag that was serious, unique, could be versatile enough to be worn all year, and still had a wink of irony.
    I already own a 3.4 oz bottle of DC I bought at Christmas, so I needed something new, not a second bottle. But for a week now, I knew that this symbolic and important purchase was going to be Domenico Caraceni. For my 45th birthday, I ordered today, another bottle of Domenico Caraceni. It just feels right. It conveys to others that experience it on me, where I have been to this point, and where I want to go as I look forward at the next phase of my life.

  24. #24
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,864

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - a mini review and a discussion on melancholy/sad scents

    Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    Rockford,I have thought and searched for 2 weeks on the perfect frag for my 45th birthday on Friday. I wanted it to say something about where I was in my life as I put my foot firmly down on middle age. I searched for a frag that was serious, unique, could be versatile enough to be worn all year, and still had a wink of irony.
    I already own a 3.4 oz bottle of DC I bought at Christmas, so I needed something new, not a second bottle. But for a week now, I knew that this symbolic and important purchase was going to be Domenico Caraceni. For my 45th birthday, I ordered today, another bottle of Domenico Caraceni. It just feels right. It conveys to others that experience it on me, where I have been to this point, and where I want to go as I look forward at the next phase of my life.
    Good for you Barry!

    I also noticed that Luckyscent now has the Domenico Caraceni shower gel, shampoo and shave cream. Seems like you should own all four - birthday boy!
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 14th February 2008 at 03:25 AM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

    -- Eckhart Tolle

  25. #25
    Dependent
    fredricktoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Clearwater, Fl
    Posts
    4,197

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - a mini review and a discussion on melancholy/sad scents

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Good for you Barry!

    I also noticed that Luckyscent now has the Domenico Caraceni shower gel, shampoo and shave cream. Seems like you should own all four - birthday boy!
    I think he may have been hinting Mike.

    I'll be 57 soon and 45 is still young. Try to stay in shape and eat good and watch those traffic lights because I'm not anymore. Actually I gave up driving. So

    Stay well. Workout. if you made it this far I think the odds are you'll go another 45 years. Happy Birthday sir if I don't see you and thanks for all those threads that introduced me to so many great smelling things.

    anyway
    Why does Domenico Caraceni have such an astringent smell on my skin? It lasts through the top and heart which take a long time to develop and is absent in the base which lingers forever. Rose 31 has it but not as pronounced mostly in the top notes and in C&S 88 it's absent.
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 14th February 2008 at 03:33 AM.

  26. #26

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - a mini review and a discussion on melancholy/sad scents

    Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    Rockford,

    I think we are both certainly captured by Domenico Caraceni.

    I have thought and searched for 2 weeks on the perfect frag for my 45th birthday on Friday. I wanted it to say something about where I was in my life as I put my foot firmly down on middle age. I searched for a frag that was serious, unique, could be versatile enough to be worn all year, and still had a wink of irony.
    I already own a 3.4 oz bottle of DC I bought at Christmas, so I needed something new, not a second bottle. But for a week now, I knew that this symbolic and important purchase was going to be Domenico Caraceni. For my 45th birthday, I ordered today, another bottle of Domenico Caraceni. It just feels right. It conveys to others that experience it on me, where I have been to this point, and where I want to go as I look forward at the next phase of my life.
    What a great birthday present! You sure do have good taste, Jock_With_Scents!

  27. #27

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - a mini review and a discussion on melancholy/sad scents

    Quote Originally Posted by Rockford View Post
    Thanks, Mike, for the review and for starting this discussion. The fragrance that I find most melancholic is L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain. I don’t know why, but L'Heure Bleue seems to have the smell of melancholy.
    .

    I agree very much. It is one of the very few that really gives me a "twang" on the heart strings. It is a very beautiful sadness though. If I ever met a woman wearing it.......I would of course remain faithful to my wife. It would make me feel even more deliciously melancholic though.....
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

    "Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

    reviews

  28. #28

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - a mini review and a discussion on melancholy/sad scents

    I wore Domenico Caraceni as my SoTD today and wanted to add to this discussion...

    Here are my impressions:

    From the outset I was astonished at how much this fragrance reminded me of Carthusia Uomo! Not the fragrance itself, but rather the nature of the scent - and in particular the way it literally blossoms and prickles at the back of your nose. It is probably no coincidence that they are both Italian niche perfumers, as many Italian fragrances tend to have this unique quality.
    DC opens with a sharp almost metallic dryness but then springs to life instantly with rich floral and faint husky frankincense accords. Its complex bouquet splinters off in many directions - one can detect a feeling of lush wetness, like rain-soaked bushels of freshly picked mediterranean herbs; and at the same time, one can imagine standing in a freshly-turned garden of remarkable dewy roses! But as others have said, its not a rose that one comes to expect from a perfume... not a "granny scented-rose-water" kind of rose, but rather a flourishing, pure yellow rose.

    Here is where I concur with mikeperez and am struck with a sense of melancholy... a nostalgia I find hard to put my finger on. There is something familiar about this scent - like the familiarity one has of the smells of their mother's handbag when exploring it as a child; scattered with peppermints, perfume, dry folded papers and the lingering smell of waxy lipsticks and its worn leather lining. The permeating frankincense lends a "dustiness" to the perfume... a bit like experiencing the odors of a dusty wooden dresser whose heavy drawers are lined with decorative scented papers.
    Its a "busy" fragrance with much to interpret... but I find this exciting as it had me sniffing myself throughout the day.

    I am very impressed after my first full wearing of this fragrance. At the same time, I find it mystifying.
    But as I do with new friends, I shall take the time to get to know it better.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 19th March 2008 at 08:18 PM.

  29. #29

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - a mini review and a discussion on melancholy/sad scents

    Nicely said, Dimitri. I never thought about it, but I also find DC nostalgic, more than melancholy. Nostalgic to what? Beats me, but yes, I find myself asking "what does this remind me of?" everytime I wear it.

    TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

  30. #30

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - a mini review and a discussion on melancholy/sad scents

    Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher View Post
    Nicely said, Dimitri. I never thought about it, but I also find DC nostalgic, more than melancholy. Nostalgic to what? Beats me, but yes, I find myself asking "what does this remind me of?" everytime I wear it.

    TNMA
    An old sepia-toned photography of an impeccably dressed gentleman is something I associate with it. Without feeling in the slightest that this is a dated fragrance. I spray it on and a crackling shellac recording of "The One I Love" starts playing in my head (not the REM song )
    Last edited by the_good_life; 20th March 2008 at 05:38 AM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

  31. #31

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - a mini review and a discussion on melancholy/sad scents

    A week ago I got a sample of DC.
    Voleur de Rose is a sad scent but with connotation of hope, love and warmth.
    DC smelled to me like a dead English gentleman of XIXth century in a modern American coffin.
    It's a high quality fragrance, but emotionally it's too much for me.
    Total solitude
    Last edited by DreamerII; 20th March 2008 at 02:44 PM.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

    Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000