Code of Conduct

Thread: Chergui ?

Default Chergui ?

I wanted to know if this statement was true or false because I am buying a bottle of Chrgui from ebay and I do not want to be sent a bottle of fake or bad cologne.

"Note to Chergui users: If you have an older bottle of Chergui you will notice the older bottles have a "juice" that is an amber/honey color. The newer bottles of Chergui (as this is) have a "juice" that is a deep greenish brownish color".

Default Re: Chergui ?

I assume you're buying a bell jar then? since the 50ml exports are all "older bottles."
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

the 10ml decant i have is a green brown colour, like good extra virgin olive oil.
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Thrax

My 1.69oz bottle is maple syrup colored.

Both my bottles are dark maple syrup/natural honey brown.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    CREED: Chevrefeuille, SMW, BdP, Aventus
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale
    YSL: Vintage M7

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

Both my export and [recently purchased] bell-jar versions are the same deep rich brown unless looked at with light directly behind, where they have a definite greenish hue. It's quite remarkable.

So I guess the answer is 'true'; either way, I wouldn't worry about it - the acid test is, of course, the intensely sweet powerful smell. Apply 10 sprays to a small area of skin, and if, when you regain consciousness, you find you have diabetes then it's definitely Chergui
    Last edited by simisker; 13th February 2008 at 01:10 AM.

Mine was definitively maple syrup-esque, both in its color and (if only somewhat) its scent.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 13th February 2008 at 03:18 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

So there's your answer - a BS marketing technique from the seller. I'm sure it's good either way, if there even is a difference,
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

From what I have seen and heard there is a variety of color for Chergui, all the shades of green from almost grass green to deep brown, and there are various experiences of whether the color of it has turned. I have even sent email to Serge Lutens about this issue, the answer I got was that they have changed formula so nowadays Chergui is manufactured a bit green, whereas they were manufactured brown before. (But this answer does not say anything about those cases where the color has turned from brown to green.) So what is said in the original thread is basically true, but cannot be applied to all cases.
    Last edited by Ascella; 13th February 2008 at 07:35 PM.

The juice in my bottle of Chergui is a maple syrup colour, just like every bottle and photo I've seen of Chergui so far.

However, last week, I walked into Harrods and was shocked to see a bottle of Chergui with green juice! So, it seems that the seller wasn't telling porkies. I even tested the juice and found it to be lighter and fresher than the Chergui I'm used to. Maybe the bottle hasn't been worn in sufficiently but the top notes lacked the depth, warmth and density that I'm now accustomed to. In fairness, the drydown was very similar to the Chergui that I know and love but I wouldn't be surprised if the formulation's been tweaked a bit...

What is someone decented in the store and diluted it?

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    What is someone decented in the store and diluted it?
    No, Harrods have two Serge Lutens stands and both testers contained green juice. I asked the SAs about this but they maintained that the juice has always been green (mmm... yeah, I know...). When I told them about my bottle (that I purchased from Harrods the year before) they were slightly stumped but stuck to their belief that it'd always been green. I didn't bother taking it any further since they're none the wiser about anything in the fragrance industry (just what they've been programmed to regurgitate)...

I bought Chergui in Harrods a couple weeks ago, to my nose it smells exactly the same as my 1st bottle I got 2 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by phibess View Post
    I bought Chergui in Harrods a couple weeks ago, to my nose it smells exactly the same as my 1st bottle I got 2 years ago.
    Is the juice green or brown, though?

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Is the juice green or brown, though?
    Depends how you're looking at the juice - if you're holding it against say window/daylight then it seems dark greenish, against darker background it appears to be brownish.
    Anyways, I don't personally care whether it's green, brown or pink as long as the scent remains the same. I can't detect any difference btw the old and new batch.

Quote Originally Posted by phibess View Post
    Anyways, I don't personally care whether it's green, brown or pink as long as the scent remains the same. I can't detect any difference btw the old and new batch.
    But phibess, that's the whole point of the discussion. I'm sure you're aware of other perfume houses tweaking things much to the detriment of the juice itself. So, it's only naturally for alarm bells to start ringing.

I did wonder why they wanted to change the formula when I heard about it, so I asked when they did the reformulation, the answer I got was that I should contact the marketing department, which I have no idea how to do (since the email address I wrote to was the one given on the SL webpage), so my quest for the truth behind the Chergui color ended here. (I guess I could have asked for the email to the marketing department, but I was just too lazy at that time.)

There have been some discussions about this issue on POL as well, where initially someone found a bitter note in Chergui which was according to her not present before:
    http://perfumeoflife.org/index.php?showtopic=22583
    Last edited by Ascella; 7th March 2008 at 04:01 PM.