Code of Conduct
    akenep

Default Looking for a cologne for super conservative friend....

I am trying to get a very conservative friend of mine to get out and have some type of social life again. He actually has very good style, but dresses conservatively. I would like to suggest a few colognes for him but I don't know what to suggest. I am not looking for the Gendarme/TM cologne stuff or Rive Gauche type. I was thinking possibly Lanvin L homme or Bulgari Auga, but I'm not to sure. Something that will appeal to everyone, especially women and is not an in your face scent. Any suggestion
    Last edited by akenep; 14th February 2008 at 01:56 AM.

Default Re: Looking for a cologne for super conservative friend....

Lanvin L'Homme for office wear; LIGHTLY APPLIED Kouros for clubbing.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 14th February 2008 at 01:55 AM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Something inconspicuous but a little bit warm and sexy at the same time - RL Safari. I think it fits the conservative type you describe ie a little bit shy and boring?

As opposed to the aggressive conservative, who would wear a power frag like Vintage Tabarome..Myself, I fit somewhere in between and love both of those as well as a range of other conservative / gentlemanly colognes.

But just something about the way you described your friend, I though RL Safari.
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Creed - Green Irish Tweed.

Appeals to everyone? You better avoid niche. Go for mass market ultra popular scents that you smell everywhere. You smell them everywhere because every girlfriend buys it for their boyfriend. I'm talking about AcQua di Gio, Armani Black Code, Azzaro Chrome, L'eau D'issey, Green Irish Tweed.
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

Definitely GIT....safe but great. I seem to get compliments more often than not when I wear it.
    Current Wishlist: Vetiver Extraordinaire, Rousse & Opus 1870

If he could find it, Tonino Lamborghini EDP. It's on the order of Boucheron PH, but I think it's a bit less formal. But it's still conservative and classy and I've always gotten compliments on it from the opposite sex.

Canali may be a good choice also.

Blog Entries

Dolce & Gabanna Light Blue. My friend uses it for work cuz he works with people with allergies and sensitive noses. So far, no complaints and it smells nice.

I also think GIT would be a perfect choice.

If price isn't a concern another good one would be Malle's French Lover/Bois d'Orage. Also, i know some here will probably disagree, but i think Terre d'Hermes, as long as its not over applied, could be another option.

You could of course go for AdG....of course people may not know that you're wearing anything because everybody else wears it
    Current Wishlist: Vetiver Extraordinaire, Rousse & Opus 1870

Off-Scenter

Boucheron pour Homme is a good suggestion, and I'd also recommend Jaipur Homme, Eau Sauvage, Caron's Third Man, or Guerlain Vetiver. Among the niche scents, I'd add Creed Santal Imperial, Diptyque's Tam Dao, Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier's Racine or Santal Noble, Lutens Gris Clair, or Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet.

bulgari pour homme, Dolce and Gab pour homme, Issey Miyake blu fraiche, white musk for men by body shop, kiehls musk.

GIT is a can't miss if you are willing to spring for it.

Hmmm Eau Sauvage makes me think of a crispy starched shirt respendent with navy blue suit coat and khakis during the Sunday eulogy, just before lunch with the Junior Republicans group.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

Without going niche or too difficult...
    Cold weather
    day: Dolce&Gabbana PH
    evening: Chanel Egoiste
    warm weather
    day: Acqua di Gio
    evening: Cartier Declaration

Silver Mountain Water

Perhaps Dior Homme - it's readily available and not over the top.

And I give a BIG second to Chanel Egoiste for evening wear.

If you're willing to part with bigger dollars, then Creed's Bois du Portugal has my vote.

something that smells nice and innoffensive....

Muegler cologne or OV by Creed......
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Basenotes Institution

Happy for Men by Clinique
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Eau Sauvage
    Roger&Gallet L'homme Essentiel (or one of their traditional colognes)
    Musgo Real Classic Scent aftershave or Agua de Colonia No. 1
    and Terre d' Hermes (lightly applied)

Guerlain L'Instant
    Gucci PH

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

Anything Chanel, especially Pour Monsieur, and anything Armani - liked by most people, not terribly strong, sweet or spicy.

Quote Originally Posted by jdnba View Post
    bulgari pour homme

This is the one that came to my mind first among all of these great suggestions.

How about having him try "by FRANK of Los Angeles "Frank No 2""

Conservative and reasonably interesting. Priced well, also - $65 per 65mL from Luckyscent.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Conservative? Hmmm...maybe Geir - Geir Ness

My SoTD would do just fine I believe... cK Be .. and YSL L'Homme too

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Another vote for Eau Sauvage ... and what about the Aramis family? Or Hermes Eau D'orange Verte?
    Oh please, if everyone around here is going to start telling the truth, I'm going to bed. - The House of Yes

Lanvin L'Homme would be perfect IMO. Classic soapy/aquatic scent. Nothing more.
    I have: Davidoff Relax, Dior Homme Sport, Boss Selection, Azzaro Visit, and Creed MI (will provide # on bottle for verification) available.

Looking for the following: DG The One, Himalaya, YSL L'Homme, John Varvatos (not vintage) Canali For Men or Paypal.

Hermes Equipage will fit the bill for a super conservative friend
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

Hugh Parsons Blue. Unique, hard to find, modern, conservative.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

What Vibert said.

Presuming you have to persuade him to buy as well as wear: Geoffrey Beene's Grey Flannel. Be sure he puts it on well before going out, and don't let him overdose. Just keep him the heck away from me b/c that cologne has already cost me too much.

Now ... all of these scents will develop differently on your friend's skin. And he's trying to ease back into contact with available singles. Here's an idea: order samples, and when he's narrowed it down a bit, have him put a small amount of a different scent on each wrist. Then when you're out, you can ask women to help him out by sniffing and sharing their reactions. Asking for help for him is far better than "hey Parker! tell her that joke about ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Boucheron pour Homme is a good suggestion, and I'd also recommend Jaipur Homme, Eau Sauvage, Caron's Third Man, or Guerlain Vetiver. Among the niche scents, I'd add Creed Santal Imperial, Diptyque's Tam Dao, Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier's Racine or Santal Noble, Lutens Gris Clair, or Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet.

Guerlain Vetiver
    Guerlain Heritage
    Bois du Portugal

I read the thread and immediately though Aspen or Eternity.

First thought: Signature pour Homme
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

How about Aramis, Bel Ami, or Equipage? Maybe Santos.

Nothing sweet obviously.

Hugh Parsons Blue is a great suggestion.
    Dunhill for Men at the Dunhill Store in NYC only
    Trafalgar by Truefitt & Hill at upper end conservative mens' stores like H. Herzfeld NYC

All applied conservatively will provide style and vibe that would work for a conservative guy.

Some being highly exclusive and hard to find helps as well.
    Last edited by Joe_Frances; 15th February 2008 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Changes and spelling of course.

In my fragrance wardrobe, nothing says conservative like Arden for Men Sandalwood.

I think I'd go for Bvlgari pour Homme

Honestly, the best would be to get a bottle of Brooks Brother's for men, otherwise Azzaro PH (the original not any of the later stuff).

Forgot three absolutely perfect choices for the conservative guy:

Duoro/Lords
    English Fern
    Blenheim Blend

All by Penhaligons- - a great brand for the conservative guy.
    Last edited by Joe_Frances; 16th February 2008 at 10:31 PM.

I would take Green Irish Tweed by Creed or Terre d´Hermés

is your friend conservative in a 'traditional cologne' type of way, or a 'popular cologne' type of way?

if it's the later: adg, issey etc. if it's the former, perhaps adp colonia or guerlain vetiver
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

So ... how did this work out?

Maybe Grey Flannel-but this one does not appeal so easily, Paco Rabanne PH- yet a bit too much citrus, but still a good buy, BDP by Creed- the essence of classic, yet suitable almost exclusively for formal war, Esencia Loewe- beyond (praising, glorifying) words, Jaipur or Boucheron PH by Boucheron might also work, Very Valentino- actually, a smooth, detached, almost intellectual scent, with both modern, wearable, as well as old- school notes, Opus 1870 by Penhaligon's, also Eau d'Orange Verte (if ever to be found with less citrus...) and Rocabar by Hermes, Pour un Homme by Caron ans some Serge Lutens- creations, as well as Acca Kappa Cedro and Azzaro PH might work well.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Colonia or Colonia Assoluta, two really beautiful and elegant colognes and conservative at the same time.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

If he is conservative for sure he will reject strong scents or scents commonly used by everybody. If you suggest something strong-smelling, just make sure to add that he will have to be cautious on applications. Form my experience, most people think that if the scent is very strong-smelling, they will be the unexpected victims of sillage. They just don't know that half a spritz will work as fine as any other no so strong-smelling EdT.

So. my suggestion would be in case you think of a non designer: any from Casswel Masey - CM- (inexpensive) / L'Occitan (mid priced) - L'O - or something by Penhaligon's (expensive) - P.

From other threads, CM Tricorn and Nº 6 have good reviews, Vetiver from L'O is excellent and Hamman Bouquet was mentioned when I asked about something in line with traditional British perfumery. Of these, the only one I can personally suggest is Vetiver since it is the only one I know.

Designer: Dior's Eau Sauvage / Givenchy's pour Monsieur / Dunhill 1934 / Dunhill Edition. These are gentlemen's scents in that their longevity is good but their sillage is limited. They are the sort of scents described as "safe" in that they will not bother other people, an attribute positively perceived by conservative and traditional people.

Well, this isn't entirely conservative but I think it straddles the line between general purpose wearability, office/date use, formal/casual,.. it's really a great all purpose scent..

I'm talking about Viktor & Rolf's Antidote of course! It's a thoroughly complex scent witha beautiful mint, grapefruit and lavender opening, cinnamon nutmeg and jasmine in the heart, and soft incense, sandalwood, and amber in the drydown. It's built on a classical structure but with a modern feel and is neither too heavy or too light for any situation.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 21st March 2009 at 06:44 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Colonia or Colonia Assoluta, two really beautiful and elegant colognes and conservative at the same time.
    I am too. Acqua di Parma Colonia is the first thing I thought of. It's also very appealing to women (as the original poster requested).

I second YSL L' Homme. I bought some for my non-perfumista husband, and he really likes it. It's elegant, very subtle, easy to like, and easy to wear.
    Last edited by Sunnyfunny; 21st March 2009 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by akenep View Post
    Something that will appeal to everyone, especially women and is not an in your face scent. Any suggestion
    My current office rotation consists of Live Jazz, Eau d'Orange Verte, Guerlain Vetiver, Creed Himalaya, Grabazzi, Azzaro Pure Cedrat and Rive Gauche homme. I am usually not one to care about comments, but I thought I should share this in case it helps. In the past couple of weeks I have gotten compliments on my fragrance at work (a conservative business environment) from co-workers (both men and women) and every time it has either been Rive Gauche pour homme or Himalaya. I don't know how your friend may react to Rive Gauche homme, but Himalaya maybe right up his alley .. an unsuspecting peppery cool citrus with hints of smokiness, there's nothing "weird" going on in it -its just an exceptionally sleek and pleasant fragrance which won't advertise you but still get you noticed (if that makes sense..).
    Last edited by zztopp; 22nd March 2009 at 12:00 AM.
    -

Geo F Trumper's Very Own Cologne by Geo F Trumper (pretty affordable as well) http://www.shoplondons.com/trumpers.html

Colonia by Acqua di Parma (pretty easy to find and good for the warmer months)

Green Irish Tweed (I first typed "Greed" Irish Tweed, which is kinda fitting)

Creed Silver Mountain Water (although it's sweeter than GIT)

These are safe and not at all sickly.
    Last edited by adonis; 22nd March 2009 at 01:29 AM.

It would be interesting to see the longest interval between a question and an answer. Our fellow bnoter's friend surely has found his conservative scent, has come back to social life, found a nice lady who loves his perfumes... still we are offering scents galore.
    A tend to feel that those answering don't depend by any means on those who ask anything.