Code of Conduct

Default Just got Kouros Tattoo...

Today was a good day for me in terms of blind buys. I got Guerlain Vetiver Frozen, Mat; Male and Kouros Tattoo Collector edition. I'll give each one its own review in time, but I'm going to devote this thread to Kouros Tattoo.

Guys, if you like Kouros, this might be "the one". I haven't tried the previous Eau d'Eté versions of Kouros, though I have two different versions of Kouros Cologne Sport, plus the original, and I've tried Kouros Fraicheur. I think Tattoo is the best.

I liked the Cologne Sport versions of Kouros, but they were pretty significant reworkings of the original. A lot was removed to make way for the freshness. They actually modernized Kouros with a great deal of ingenuity I think. They still kept some of the funk of their namesake.

While I love Kouros, it can be difficult to wear in modern times. Sometimes it can be a bit over the top. It can be temperamental from day to day. Still, it's a work of art and a work of seduction. I was talking perfume with a female bar patron a few weeks ago. I'd given her a sample of something I was working on and she was talking about what colognes she liked. She said "There was this one cologne that used to drive me wild every time. I dated a guy who wore it and it was the best. It was called Kouros." I smiled.

Kouros Tattoo restores everything to Kouros that the Cologne Sport versions edited out. I'm not usually a fan of adding calone to fragrances just for the sake of it, but I'm shocked at how much it brings Tattoo to life. The grime and soap are no longer fighting each other. It feels more cohesive, even though its more multifaceted. And gone are the potato peelings. The citrus/tangerine in this feels deeper than in the Cologne Sport versions. It goes onto the skin feeling so 3-D and high-def. They got the balance right this time.

Even more than the hallowed original, this is my favorite incarnation of Kouros. Also, the bottle rocks!
    Last edited by Indie_Guy; 14th February 2008 at 07:14 PM. Reason: typo

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Just got Kouros Tattoo...

You are on a lucky streak with your blind buys - aren't you Indie?

Now I want to smell this.

Although your 'potato peelings' description threw me - does Kouros have a potato peel note? How odd.

One more question: does KT smells 'tattoo-y'? Your review makes the fragrance sounds positively vibrant, crisp and complex - perhaps a better name would've been Kouros Hi-Def.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Thrax

Nah, Kouros1080p

Post Thanks / Like

I love HD jokes.

You Kouros fans are missing out; being ignorant, I saw the thread title and thought Indie Guy had gotten a tattoo of a Kouros bottle... I imagined it on his upper arm.
    Last edited by zatarain; 15th February 2008 at 12:05 AM. Reason: being specific
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Post Thanks / Like

So, let me get this straight, cause I am not quite sure about the spectrum here:

Original Kouros is all about late 70s early 80s powerhouse funky weird and wonderful stuff; Tatoo is in the middle, a lot of the original with some freshness and updating, but close to the original; while Sport is the most laid back newish thing with a hint of the original Kouros lurking in the background/midground...

Is that about it?

I have tried the original and love it, but probably won't wear it, and Sport is nice enough but not quite enough, so, am thinking Tatoo is in the middle and might (as you say) just be the thang.

Am I right?

I'd put Kouros Tattoo right between the original and the Cologne Sport versions spectrum-wise. I find it much more wearable than the original and much more interesting than the sport versions. It's has that unmistakable Kouros signature, but it's got a different energy about it. I'll put it like this, with each of the previous versions there has always been a gap between the artistry of the scent, and my comfort level actually wearing on myself. A bit of a strain. Not any more. Amazing that such a fine tuning can produce such a different effect. I think Yves Saint Laurent has been been playing quite a game of trying to keep Kouros modern. While the Cologne Sport versions are good, I don't think they were necessarily going in the right direction. They took the "piss note" and replaced it with the faint warmth of dry cow manure blowing in the country air( not a bad smell, but hard to pull off). The Tattoo version stays closer to the original Kouros, and it has everything of the original-- but that piss note is turned down a few degrees. They finally quit trying to turn Kouros into Lysol, and got back to basics.

I think Kouros Tattoo has every bit as much sex appeal as Kouros, but damn, is it infinitely easier (for me) to wear. I know that everyone has their own comfort level-- and I'm kind of a wimp when it comes to wearing anything animalic and dirty. Some can wear original Kouros without breaking a sweat. I confess, that outside the house, I cannot. Even the Cologne Sport versions weren't exactly cleaned up, they just took the funk on another tangent. Tattoo is much closer to the original Kouros than the Sport versions--keeping all that is great about the original, but bringing it down a notch for us mortals to wear. It would be easy to say that they patched the leaks in the aging boat by just cramming a bunch of fresh notes into the original. But everything really works in this one. It almost seems like some of the great subtle things about the original have even been restored and enhanced (hence the feeling like this is in hi-def).

It seems the beast has finally been housebroken without being neutered. I'm a happy, happy man.

---------------------------------------------------

PS: The funny and maybe ironic thing is that I HATE tattoos. I would never get a tattoo of anything. Even Kouros

Haven't smelled Tattoo or Sport, but I love Fraicheur. Its totally modern and still has the spirit of the original.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Indie, where do you get Tattoo? I went to three places the other day looking for original Kouros, and finally found it only at the YSL Boutique on 57th Street, but I don't think they had Tattoo.
    Last edited by Joe_Frances; 15th February 2008 at 01:55 PM.

fragrancenet.com

Post Thanks / Like

I just got this from bigdiscount.com
    I did a brief test and agree with everything Indie Guy said. I will post my own review once I get a full wearing of this.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

I got mine from PerfumeBay.

Looking forward to to your review, Azsmells!

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher View Post
    Haven't smelled Tattoo or Sport, but I love Fraicheur. Its totally modern and still has the spirit of the original.

TNMA
    I like Fraicheur too. And I agree -- it's an updated, more wearable version of the original that still captures the spirit of the original. I've tried Body Kouros as well, and I think Fraicheur does a much better job of staying true to the original.

How does Tattoo stack up to Fraicheur?
    Christian Dior VetiverPatou Pour HommeChristian Dior Leather OudOrmonde Jayne Ormonde ManSerge Lutens Chene

Post Thanks / Like

So I finally got to try this out in full a few days ago. To start with the bottle is an awesome transparent ocean blue and comes with 2 rub on tattoos. One saying KOUROS and one with a cool pattern.
    Now the fragrance. I love the strong, incensey, beautiful drydown of the original. I've never tried Fraicheur but I have gone through a bottle of Cologne Sport which I enjoyed. So Kouros Tattoo I started off with 3 sprays and smelled nothing. 3 more sprays and I start to smell some aqua and citrus notes with a hint of the Kouros signature notes. 5 more sprays later I am finally satisfied with a full aroma of what I would call Kouros Light. One hour later I hardly smell anything except a familiar but faint Kouros drydown.
    So I am mildly disappointed with this fragrance. I am one who wears Kouros in public regularly but I know it is strong so I use about 3 sprays. Kouros Tattoo will be more wearable for many but it lacks what make Kouros so special. It is Kouros for wimps. Not a bad smelling fragrance but give me the original.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!

Quote Originally Posted by Azsmells View Post
    So I finally got to try this out in full a few days ago. To start with the bottle is an awesome transparent ocean blue and comes with 2 rub on tattoos. One saying KOUROS and one with a cool pattern.
    Now the fragrance. I love the strong, incensey, beautiful drydown of the original. I've never tried Fraicheur but I have gone through a bottle of Cologne Sport which I enjoyed. So Kouros Tattoo I started off with 3 sprays and smelled nothing. 3 more sprays and I start to smell some aqua and citrus notes with a hint of the Kouros signature notes. 5 more sprays later I am finally satisfied with a full aroma of what I would call Kouros Light. One hour later I hardly smell anything except a familiar but faint Kouros drydown.
    So I am mildly disappointed with this fragrance. I am one who wears Kouros in public regularly but I know it is strong so I use about 3 sprays. Kouros Tattoo will be more wearable for many but it lacks what make Kouros so special. It is Kouros for wimps. Not a bad smelling fragrance but give me the original.
    Kouros for wimps...

Last night I was sitting around and I decided to spray Kouros on one arm and Kouros Tattoo on the other. I could smell Kouros fine, but this time I couldn't smell Tattoo very strongly (but I'm still getting over a cold). It was weird because the first few times I tested Tattoo, it smelled it fine. This time, next to the original I couldn't smell it that well.

Kouros has more patchouli. In the drydown, the patchouli in Kouros is very noticeable. The dryness and complexity are awesome, but as the drydown continues, regular Kouros just ends on some funky notes that don't quite fade out nicely on my skin. Tattoo is softer. It's not as intense as regular Kouros and compared to Kouros it might seem weak--especially if you repeatedly sniff the spot where you sprayed it-- it has decent sillage however. For me though, it's exactly what I was looking for. The Kouros signature is there-- much more so than in the Cologne Sport versions, but the overall effect is much cleaner than the original Kouros. I can see where some might not find Tattoo to be to their satisfaction, but for me, it gets me back on the street in the Kouros game. I like the marine note. It keeps things cool while at the same time dirty (though less than the original). I guess that's how I'd describe Tattoo. Cool and dirty.

Strange. I think all previous editions including Sport were pretty strong and long lasting. Did not try this one though. Also, I know there were non-alcohol versions of Sport - I think the name was Sport Summer, and maybe others. Those are the ones that were weak and not smelling.

Finally tried it myself and, like Azsmells, I'm a little disappointed. For me, it doesn't have enough in common with the original. It's citrusy and aquatic. It smells nice, but I didn't get any of the incense of the original. Smells a little more common than I'd like.

To my nose, Fraicheur is closer to the original and still very wearable. It's the more distinctive fragrance.
    Christian Dior VetiverPatou Pour HommeChristian Dior Leather OudOrmonde Jayne Ormonde ManSerge Lutens Chene

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Azsmells View Post
    What is your opinion about the smell of this versus Sport?

Post Thanks / Like

Just tried Tattoo from a sample. Meh - it's ok. It's much more tolerable to my nose than the original.

I also purchased a sample of the original to revisit. Two or three years ago when I first tried Kouros, after it being hyped to high Heaven here on BN, I couldn't wash it off fast enough. No fragrance had repulsed me so much before. This time however, it was simply uninteresting to me. I was not at all repulsed, but not impressed in the slightest either. Who knows what the future holds.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Just tried Tattoo from a sample. Meh - it's ok. It's much more tolerable to my nose than the original.

I also purchased a sample of the original to revisit. Two or three years ago when I first tried Kouros, after it being hyped to high Heaven here on BN, I couldn't wash it off fast enough. No fragrance had repulsed me so much before. This time however, it was simply uninteresting to me. I was not at all repulsed, but not impressed in the slightest either. Who knows what the future holds.
    Give it another 3 years and you'll love it.

Post Thanks / Like

3 weeks ago, I was repulsed by the communal toilet note, but after trying it on my skin, I quite liked it, will need a bit more thought! Meanwhile, I've bought Kouros Tattoo blind, look forward to trying it once I get it