Code of Conduct

Default New Nasamatto Purchases

Man oh man. Yesterday was a bad day for my wallet as I drove into luckyscent yesterday since it is only a 10 minute drive from me and i wanted to test the new Nasamatto scents. Needless to say, i walked out with 2 of them. Duro and Absinthe.

These are some quality scents. I have never smelled anything like them at all. I am really bad at describing scents but duro has a very dry, woody oud thing going that is absolutely stunning and well done. With absinthe, i get a dry earthy salty smell going with a hint of fruity background that has a smell of quality and rarity i have not smelled in a scent in quite a while.

These are probably some of the most original and most well crafted scents to come out in quality a while in my opinion. Any thoughts.
    Last edited by cairomerta; 15th February 2008 at 04:11 AM.

Default Re: New Nasamatto Purchases

Cairomerta...I can always rely on you to find my future purchases! I also love aoud scents. I better check out Luckyscent's website. By the way, did you ever check out Montale's Red Vetyver? Just wondering what that's all about.

There have been several threads already discussing the Nasomatto frags and yes, Duro and Absinth are outstanding!

Absinth is in my top 5. I love Duro too, but I really struggle with headaches when a scent has oud in it, hence I am scared to sample Duro anymore. I have given it 2 full wearings and it is superb though.

The pyramid for this line is non-existent which I find frustrating and great at the same time. I am free from analyzing what is in each one and I just enjoy them for what they are as a cohesive whole.
    I think that Absinth and Duro will be talked about more and more as people have the chance to sample this line.

For those searching for additional info and comments on this line:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ight=Nasomatto

Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 15th February 2008 at 01:55 PM.

What were your thoughts on Sliver Musk and Hindu Grass?

Looks like Luck Scent's website doesn't allow you to place Absinth in your cart as a sample.

I am not a good person to review 'musk heavy' frags. I am mostly not interested in them due to the fact that I am anosmic to several kinds of musks. I have had Silver Musk on my skin several times and I strikes me a a very minimalist frag. Cool and almost a silver feel to it. It is sneaky in longevity and sillage. No animalic, dirty, musky vibe at all to me. I think of grey suede, on a grey day, inside a grey building, wearing a grey suit.

Hindu Grass is predominately a patchouli frag. But it does it in a new and interesting way I think. Dries slightly green and herbal. Also great longevity and sillage on this one.

Alessandro (the creator) told me that 30% of the population is anosmic to 3 of the musk molecules in Silver Musk. I am definitely part of that population. It didn't strike me as a heavy musk scent at all, much more of a skin scent. I could barely smell it on me. It smelled lovely, and altogether different on my daughter.
    Hindu Grass is a crystal clear, almost celestial patchouli. Yes, I do know what I'm talking about. This is nothing like "head shop" patchouli. Use a very light hand with this one, it's very easy to over apply & when I did it was an instant headache. When applied lightly it was heavenly.
    My two favorites were Duro, which became a sexy, sweet leather and Absinthe. I can't even begin to describe Absinthe. I'd need to paint you a picture instead.
    Current Favorites: #5 edt, #19 edt & parfum - Chanel, FRACAS - Robert Piguet, A Taste of Heaven - By Killian, Apres L'Ondee- Guerlain, LUX & Carnation - Mona di Orio, Une Rose - Frederick Malle, Kiki - Vero Kern, Bois de Violette & Sarrasins - Serge Lutens

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    What were your thoughts on Sliver Musk and Hindu Grass?

Looks like Luck Scent's website doesn't allow you to place Absinth in your cart as a sample.
    hindu grass is a bit "too out there" for me...but i absolutely find silver musk terrific.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Thanks paintrman . I think you will like these for sure. I dont think Duro has any oud in it but it has that same quality. It is really amazing. But something about Absinthe is really pleasing me. Very different and the fact they dont give the pyramid for the development is really quite interesting. It makes the scent more of a challenge and lets you see what you can smell developing on your skin. I kind of like that. It doesnt allow you to have any preconceived notions about the scent or let you see any notes you may not like and give a false impression of the overall scent. You just have to spray it on and se how it develops on you.

Silver musk to me was very generic and almost had the CK1 thing going. Very nice but not very original. Hindu grass was another very nice scent. It developed into a 100% patchouli scent on me but it was a very nice development. I didnt get any grass or anything hindu (meaning spices or so on) but the scent is a really quality piece also and if you are a fan of patchouli, you have to try this one.

All in all, i am really happy with these purchases. Even though it is a bit expensive and it is only 1oz, it is a perfume extract so it goes a long way. Definitely try it and experience some very quality scents.

In regards to the new montale, i havent tried the new Red Vetyver. I am looking to get a sample soon but if you ave not tried Red Aoud, you definitely should. This is definitely a unique Aoud creation from Montale and ranks up there with Black Aoud. It is absolutely amazing.

I feel obligated to respond to this, yet another Nasomatto thread because I have been drawn into the Nasomatto web and now I own Duro, Absinthe, and Hindu Grass. Yes they are very interesting and well formulated, parfum strength and truly original formulas. However nice they are; I don't think they will be loved by most people. They are kind of loner type personalities. Each one is an original formula idea and there are no reference points or notes given by the maker to analyze them with. Their formulas are odd and different, but very nice. So, test them before buying!

Duro is like a deep oud leather fragrance without any of the normal leather contrasting notes. It's probably built around something synthetic. Might be some ginger in it. No animalic, nor sweetness, nor fruit etc. A mysterious and deep fragrance. Smells to me like M7 without the opening spice notes. I know I like it but find it very hard to describe the smell.

Absinthe is green, deep and spicey incense and vetiver. Reminds me a little of Romeo Gigli pour Homme in a way, but deeper and greener. This one got me first.

Hindu Grass is a light airy patchouli that mixes green notes with patchouli grass. I've not smelled that before, but its basically a patchouli frag. The basenote settles up, not down on Hindu Grass. Ethereal, fresh, spiritual and very remote. This one will not be universally loved because it lacks emotion, sweetness, or common elements. It's kind of a law unto itself - sort of an idealist scent. But I find it uplifiting and suitable for spending time with my self. Reminds me of H D Thoreau by Walden pond.

All are worth a curious look by basenoters. Check it out. Luckyscent has them. Also, Barneys NY.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 15th February 2008 at 07:21 PM.

Tried Duro this week & it is a great scent.The next one is a sample of Absinth,i`ve got a feeling i`ll be buying a bottle from the Nasomatto range before long.
    Currently wearing: The Dreamer by Versace

Basenotes Institution

I am afraid to try these - the descriptions sound great and Barry has been talking highly about Absinthe for a while now. I'm in L.A. in March to see my parents again - so I might have to get over to Scent Bar to see what all the fuss is about.

I have a sample of Hindu Grass (I think Alex gave it to me) - I'll get around to it soon, and I won't over apply RHM.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: MEM by Bogue Profumo

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I won't over apply RHM.
    Good man! I don't want you to get a headache.
    Current Favorites: #5 edt, #19 edt & parfum - Chanel, FRACAS - Robert Piguet, A Taste of Heaven - By Killian, Apres L'Ondee- Guerlain, LUX & Carnation - Mona di Orio, Une Rose - Frederick Malle, Kiki - Vero Kern, Bois de Violette & Sarrasins - Serge Lutens

These all sound very interesting. I'll be sure to get some samples sometime.

From the descriptions, I think I'll like Silver Musk and Duro the most but you never know until you smell.

I've got a sample of Duro on the way, but it seems I need to try out the rest of the bunch as well. Goodness, there are just too many interesting scents out there, but I guess that's a good thing for people like us

I sampled all of them and ended up purchasing Absinthe and Duro. I liked Hindu Grass a lot too and may end up with that at some point. I like them all quite a bit, though you don't get a lot of juice for the bread.

I know they're parfum strength, but I don't find Absinthe to be much more potent than some edts. The quality is good though. And Duro does seem to have more potency than your average edt. It's a real quality frag -- I'll probably wear Absinthe more often though.
    Christian Dior VetiverPatou Pour HommeChristian Dior Leather OudOrmonde Jayne Ormonde ManSerge Lutens Chene

Quote Originally Posted by cairomerta View Post
    Thanks paintrman . I think you will like these for sure. I dont think Duro has any oud in it but it has that same quality. It is really amazing. But something about Absinthe is really pleasing me. Very different and the fact they dont give the pyramid for the development is really quite interesting. It makes the scent more of a challenge and lets you see what you can smell developing on your skin. I kind of like that. It doesnt allow you to have any preconceived notions about the scent or let you see any notes you may not like and give a false impression of the overall scent. You just have to spray it on and se how it develops on you.

Silver musk to me was very generic and almost had the CK1 thing going. Very nice but not very original. Hindu grass was another very nice scent. It developed into a 100% patchouli scent on me but it was a very nice development. I didnt get any grass or anything hindu (meaning spices or so on) but the scent is a really quality piece also and if you are a fan of patchouli, you have to try this one.

All in all, i am really happy with these purchases. Even though it is a bit expensive and it is only 1oz, it is a perfume extract so it goes a long way. Definitely try it and experience some very quality scents.

In regards to the new montale, i havent tried the new Red Vetyver. I am looking to get a sample soon but if you ave not tried Red Aoud, you definitely should. This is definitely a unique Aoud creation from Montale and ranks up there with Black Aoud. It is absolutely amazing.
    I think about Duro even when I'm not wearing any. Powerful stuff. My personal opinion of Duro is that it's the best male frag to come along since Yatagan and Muscs Koublai Khan. Didn't get Absinthe to work for me, but the Nasomatto quality is still there. I just got an 8ml decant of Red Aoud and like it as much as Black Aoud. Got Red Vetyver decant coming in mail. Enjoy your Nasomatto frags, THEY'RE SPECIAL.

eric

Duro came in yesterday! and I love it.
    All that has been said was right on the mark.
    It's all male alright. Woods and leather and ..don't mind the strong language..., I feel sexy as hell wearing this.
    It doesn't shout though, and it's more close to the skin than I thought. I'm glad, cause it's a strong fragrance.
    The Montales I can't wear cause they give me imediate headaches.
    It's an M7 type fragrance, although they don't smell the same to me.
    I'm curious about the notes now. Is it oud or is it leather I smell? I wonder.

That small bottle is troublesome though. I know it's perfume extrait but maybe they should bring out an edt version in 50ml? I dunno.

I tested Duro again on Saturday, but only on the paper strip - I agree on the very sexy impression on a man's skin - indeed, I bought one bottle as a gift for a male friend.
    I think I detect a raw beeswax note in there .... anyone smells it too?
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 22nd February 2008 at 12:24 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post
    I tested Duro again on Saturday, but only on the paper strip - I agree on the very sexy impression on a man's skin - indeed, I bought one bottle as a gift for a male friend.
    I think I detect a raw beeswax note in there .... anyone smells it too?
    Mmmm... a raw beeswax note? Interesting... sounds like something I might like... I have to have a look around to find it for a test.

Duro is a bit of a jumble with the oud-like astringency, the smoke, the leather, etc., but I did like it. However, it felt similar to L'Air du Desert Marocain and when I tested them side by side I preferred the latter. As an aside, I then tested LdDM versus Black Tourmaline, and again preferred the latter.

I really liked Absinthe. I want to play with it more, but I found it only subtly licorice-y with a lot of green, and it was very evocative (of what I don't know).

Hindu Grass was a big "meh". I loved it for about ten minutes when it smelled like, well, Hindu grass (at least in my imagination), but when it settled into its patchouliness it just felt wrong. I am interested in trying it again with a very light application as Red Hot Mama suggests to see if that makes a difference.
    My current top 10: Richard James; Clive Christian No. 1 for Men; L'Artisan Voleur de Roses; Creed Aventus, Erolfa, Santal Imperial, Virgin Island Water, and Windsor; Serge Lutens Chergui and Gris Clair

"It is never to late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

Duro is great but I just don't get any leather from it. All I get is a bunch of wood. It's a great fragrance but I was just expecting something different.

Absinthe is great, similar to L'Artisan's Fou d'Absinthe but with more vetiver and less of that pine note.

I still have samples of Hindu Grass and Silver Musk to try.