Code of Conduct

Default Best "Cost effective" male Sandalwood fragrance?

I am looking for a really nice and wearable sandalwood frag for a reasonable price. I have tried Santal Noble but found it a little too dry, I have also tried Trumpers and really liked it but found it a little sweet. My favorite so far is Floris's Santal and as yet this is my choice. Any ideas??
    "All deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea, while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore."

Thumbs up Re: Best "Cost effective" male Sandalwood fragrance?

FLORIS SANTAL, absolutely !!!!!! do not change , it is the best, very classy....

Default Re: Best "Cost effective" male Sandalwood fragrance?

Truthfully that is the farthest this from an actual sandalwood fragrance you can get....smells more like a roma/minotaure wannabe to me...My absolute favorite in terms of quality and authenticity is Bois De Santal by Creed, smells like pure sandalwood and babypowder ever so slightly.....and I have a tie for 2nd between two.....Tam Dao By dyptique, is a more earthy green rendition, very good and well done....nothing else like it and the other is Etro Sandalo which is amazingly done...earthy but not too sweetly overdone and a touch of musk, rather authentic to my nose and very unique in the marketplace.....

Lastly Fragonard Santal is another good....kinda like Black Cashmere with some extra sandalwood thrown in there...very good.....

all are worth a try but these four have the rest trumped I believe!..

Pugs

Am I the only one here who read "cost effective"?
    Zizanie instantly comes to mind, as does Crabtree & Evelyn's Sandalwood.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 15th February 2008 at 02:49 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Well honestly I doubt you will find something that smells like authentic sandalwood and not a rendition of it, and still be cost effective.....theres stuff out there thats inexpensive, but I don't think santal, C and E, nor zizanie smell like authentic sandalwood, truthfully, Fragonard does not really either which I reccomended....

If all else fails, there's always good quality sandalwood oil -- this can usually be had quite reasonably.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

that isn't a bad idea either...health food stores near me have that type of stuff....I smelled one a few months back that was pure smokey sandalwood...like being burnt....with a hint of sweetness...very masculine and good....

You know I wonder if its call sandalwood cause they used to use it in the olden days to make sandals out of cause of stinky feet and its fragrant quailities?

Pugs

Caswell-Massey Sandalwood Cologne
    “love lasts a long time, but burning desire, two or three weeks.”

Methinks the Zizanie and Caswell-Massey Sandalwood suggestions are spot-on, though there is much more going on with Zizanie than just sandalwood. The CM sandalwood is a better choice if looking for a more straightforward sandalwood.

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    If all else fails, there's always good quality sandalwood oil -- this can usually be had quite reasonably.
    Good quality (authentic) sandalwood oil is almost impossible to find now. Most of it gets adulterated with other things. The tree is an endangered species and the government of India has forbidden the export of true Mysore sandalwood oil. So most of what's on the market is either synthetic, adulterated or of lower quality.

I think the good stuff is going for about 180$ an ounce online... which really isn't that bad, since you only use a little of the oil at a time. Unfortunately it's almost impossible to know whether it comes from illegally poached trees or not.
    Last edited by Maxwell; 15th February 2008 at 04:51 PM.
    Currently digging: Le Labo Rose 31 and Oud oils.

paco rabbane - XS. the base is pure sandalwood...and i think its indian sandalwood...

Since the phrase "cost-effective" is a relative term, I will second the above reference to Diptyque's Tam Dao. It's a very soft and comforting sandalwood after 15 min or so. It dries down buttery smooth and stays close to you. Very well crafted, 4.6 out of 5 all around.

I wore Profumum's "Santalum" today. It was my first try (a sample kindly given to me by Gerald). What it actually reminded me of was Chanel's legendary BOIS DES ILES (of which I have a half ounce of extrait) which in turn is VERY similar IMO to Chanel's EGOISTE. EGOISTE, as I understand it has quite a following and it is fairly high on my "to buy" list. (Note that EGOISTE is quite different from Egoiste Platinum). Be sure to test / sample them out before buying.

I'll second TVLAMPBOY: Crabtree & Evelyn Sanadalwood is a solid affordable choice.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

^
    What he said.

As for the dryness that you are reacting to in Santal Noble, its the overdose of cedar thats doing you in that juice.
    -

If you've found Floris Santal and prefer it to Santal Noble, I think you've reached the end of your rope and should just get a bottle of Floris Santal. The Floris is great stuff, although Santal Noble has the edge as far as I'm concerned. Both are great frags. You'd be hard pressed to do better.

Paul smith london is usually cheap as chips, and its got a heavy sandalwood component (at least on my skin, anyway)
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

In Cairo I watched them press the oil from pieces of Sandalwood (not sure which variety), then smelled and bought it right from the press. Absolutly beautiful and fairly inexpensive - of course you have to get to Cairo.
    Sometimes one finds an antique vial which remembers,
    Whence gushes forth a living soul returned to life

Blog Entries

I totally agree with the Crabtree & Evelyn suggestion. It's a classy, simple sandalwood. It's a great scent.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Crabtree and Evelyn is a good suggestion, I'd also add CSP Le Roi Santal which can be found cheap in some online stores.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Quote Originally Posted by ellis17 View Post
    In Cairo I watched them press the oil from pieces of Sandalwood (not sure which variety), then smelled and bought it right from the press. Absolutly beautiful and fairly inexpensive - of course you have to get to Cairo.
    How did they press it? As far as I knew, sandalwood oil could only be extracting through distillation or CO2...
    Currently digging: Le Labo Rose 31 and Oud oils.

How about Woodland from Bath & Body Works? Not sure if you have them in your country though...

Just wondering, the Sandalwood chemical to give the Sandalwood smell would be essentially synthesized right? For the cheaper fragrances. Correct me if I'm wrong but there's very little Sandalwood left in the world e.g. Quite a lot of it is wiped out in India. Just watched an interview with James Heeley.

Another for Santal by Fragonard

I have Fragonard's Santal which is certainly inexpensive and pleasant but longevity is poor. I use it to spritz my pillow before bed. The best value sandalwood for me is Egoiste, because it is the only one I have found with staying-power. Admittedly Egoiste is far from a straightforward santal.

Another vote for Crabtree & Evelyn's Sandalwood

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmellow View Post
    Just wondering, the Sandalwood chemical to give the Sandalwood smell would be essentially synthesized right? For the cheaper fragrances. Correct me if I'm wrong but there's very little Sandalwood left in the world e.g. Quite a lot of it is wiped out in India. Just watched an interview with James Heeley.
    Indeed, like almost all things that go into fragrances, sandalwood is synthetic as well. But there are other natural or isolated alternatives to sandalwood. Like australian sandalwood, amyris (needs aging and even then quite a bit camphorous), or even atlas cedar (which I recommend getting some. it will get more expensive).

Taylors Sandalwood
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Cologne.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Kanon Norwegian Wood

Elizabeth Arden Sandalwood, not sure abt the availability

Crabtree & Evelyn's Sandalwood. Very light though

Lorenzo Villoresi - Santal

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Cologne.
    That´s the one I mean. Gorgeous stuff and not expensive.
    "Santal Blanc", (an oil based perfume) from the Moroccan firm Madini is also supposed to be exquisite and affordable.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Purchased a bottle of Kanon Norwegion Wood cheaply off ebay. A besenoter said it was similiar to Tam Dao, but he was way off. It's just a plain ol drugstore cologne, with no heavenly sandalwood, which is Tam Dao. I spray it on my canvas watch band before my graveyard shifts, and it keeps me delighted all night.

Caswell Massey is great. Wore it as young girl, and it still smells the same. Not the best sandalwood frag, but cheap and extremely nice.

Sadly, cheap no longer exists when it comes to the good stuff

Purchased a bottle of Kanon Norwegion Wood cheaply off ebay. A besenoter said it was similiar to Tam Dao, but he was way off. It's just a plain ol drugstore cologne, with no heavenly sandalwood, which is Tam Dao. I spray it on my canvas watch band before my graveyard shifts, and it keeps me delighted all night.

Caswell Massey is great. Wore it as young girl, and it still smells the same. Not the best sandalwood frag, but cheap and extremely nice. Madini's Santal Blanc is ok, but rather harsh. Not nice enough to purchase a 2nd bottle cheap and easy off amazon though.

Sadly, cheap no longer exists when it comes to the good stuff
    Last edited by vanfleet; 16th November 2011 at 08:35 AM.