Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Default Re: Agarwood (oud) oil!

Quote Originally Posted by Aghora View Post
    I did have a bad Ebay experience though with some guy in Singapore named Ham Firl at QT' Store. This guys oil was so bad, one bottle had chemical residue on the bottom and I had to return it. The person was such a jerk, and refused returns, so I had to file with my credit card company. It was such a disaster, I filed a rip off report: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/...off0318102.htm
    Please do not buy from him.
    This is strange news to me; until now I have only heard positive reports about Ham Firl and his products. I've actually been pondering buying from him, to expand my experience with oud.

It seems as though it is almost pointless to seek out real, good quality oud; I gather that nearly all of it is adulterated, and the only assurance anyone has of purity and quality is the worthless word of a dishonest seller, assuring you that their increasingly outrageous prices reflect their products and not their greed.

xplo, buy his higher end products, starting at around 50 dollars per 3ml, his oud is good, otherwise the lower quality stuff really does suck, but I mean what do you expect @ less than 50$ per 3ml. Personally Id go 100$ and above...

Maxwell - we must have really similar tastes in fragrance because I also really like both Oriscent oud as well as Rose 31. I have not tried the two together yet, but that does sound like it would be great especially because Rose 31 has so little of of the pure quality oud oil in it like the Oriscents have. My girlfriend also is fanatical about Rose 31 - so much she had to have her own bottle and she also gets comments from people almost daily when she wears it.

My Oriscents were gotten about a year ago - I have a bottle of Borneo 3000 and Royal Oud. Of course this stuff seems to last forever and is very potent. Both of these ouds are excellent, but the Borneo 3000 is my favorite. I think they may be out of the B3000 now?- Not sure of this. It has a slight floral green drift that mixes with the oud oil - it is truly a transcendent fragrance experience. The Royal oud is a little more serious and not quite as accessible. I have not tried Kayara or Sheik's Borneo yet but, sounds like I need to try them.

Given that it is impossible to get pure, high grade Oud, does that mean that the promotional blurb on Oriscent is claptrap in the same way that Creed's is..... distilled for the richest man on earth....etc? Just wondering? - By the way, this doesn't mean their oils don't smell great.
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by smellyliquid View Post
    xplo, buy his higher end products, starting at around 50 dollars per 3ml, his oud is good, otherwise the lower quality stuff really does suck, but I mean what do you expect @ less than 50$ per 3ml. Personally Id go 100$ and above...
    What I expect is to be able to sample different ouds without paying an arm and a leg for them, before I decide to buy into one. I realize the stuff is ridiculously expensive, especially the higher grades, but I'm not going to shell out all that money for oud I haven't smelled yet, and I doubt it resells as well as brand name perfumes. And, failing that, what I expect is to get what I pay for and not have to worry that it'll turn out to be garbage. It's ridiculous that something as frequently adulterated as oud should also be as expensive as it is while also being as hard to sample before buying.

So yeah, I'm a bit frustrated. :P

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Given that it is impossible to get pure, high grade Oud
    Talking about jumping to conclusions, lol.

Anyway, I would not buy this sort of products on eBay, even if I were a celeb with money to burn.

Oriscent I don't know, they used to be good, but my last order with them is from over a year ago, and things change, they always do...
    However, I did noticed one thing about Oriscent; if they are out of stock on a certain type of Oud, it never reappears.

I know this, because I'm waiting for their 'Sweet China' to come back in stock for over a year. Probably won't happen. Amazing stuff that was. A blend of two types of Ouds, actually. Which lead me to the conclusion they really do have only a certain amount of oil, and once that's finished, it's gone. If that was not the case, you would see the same stuff appear over and over again, like it is the case with so many other sellers, and not only those on eBay.

But to be 100% sure, no, THAT'S indeed impossible.
    Last edited by Domingo; 7th April 2008 at 01:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xplo View Post
    What I expect is to be able to sample different ouds without paying an arm and a leg for them, before I decide to buy into one. I realize the stuff is ridiculously expensive, especially the higher grades, but I'm not going to shell out all that money for oud I haven't smelled yet, and I doubt it resells as well as brand name perfumes. And, failing that, what I expect is to get what I pay for and not have to worry that it'll turn out to be garbage. It's ridiculous that something as frequently adulterated as oud should also be as expensive as it is while also being as hard to sample before buying.

So yeah, I'm a bit frustrated. :P
    i feel you, idonno... I just took the plunge on the most expensive one and I was definatley satisfied. Earlier I had also purchased one for 45$ and was satisfied with that as well... althought the one for double the moeny was indeed much much better!

I think everyone will enjoy this. This is the blog be the owner (I presume) of Oriscent and his travels to find oudh:

http://agarwood.oriscent.com/

Quote Originally Posted by DrOfTheSoul View Post
    I think everyone will enjoy this. This is the blog be the owner (I presume) of Oriscent and his travels to find oudh:

http://agarwood.oriscent.com/
    Great find! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Xplo View Post
    This is strange news to me; until now I have only heard positive reports about Ham Firl and his products. I've actually been pondering buying from him, to expand my experience with oud.

It seems as though it is almost pointless to seek out real, good quality oud; I gather that nearly all of it is adulterated, and the only assurance anyone has of purity and quality is the worthless word of a dishonest seller, assuring you that their increasingly outrageous prices reflect their products and not their greed.
    Most people that buy from him don't know quality. Also, in Singapore, it is almost impossible to find pure oil even from the wholesalers. He has to dilute even the higher end oils, as he needs to make a profit. High quality pure oud oil, from wild wood, wholesales at $50 and up. So do the math. Just to compare, the wood he sells on ebay for $2500 a kilo, goes for $800 SD in Singapore, so look at his mark up.

Oud is one of the most adulterated oils out there, but there are a few good sources. I recently saw some of the Oriscent oil, and as I said before, it is top shelf. I found a couple of other sources but I have not tested yet.

One is http://www.enfleurage.com/oils-a-c.html, She sells Hindi and Laos. The Lao, if it is the same as I have, LAo PDR, is good stinky Crassna Oil.
    Agarwood: Is It Endangered? http://www.enfleurage.com/ac-agarwood-2.html
    Agarwood - Gem of Truth http://www.enfleurage.com/aa-agarwood.html

Also, this one may have some decent oil, Have not tried it yet:

http://unsfinecrafts.com/shop/index....lnja3sm7qa43t3

The only fragrances I have tried containing oud is Montale Black Aoud and Montale Aoud Lime. I really don't care for any of them. I do like the rose in Black Aoud, but it's too heavy and too sweet, do you think I would appreciate some of the more expensive ouds from Oriscent?

Quote Originally Posted by Aghora View Post

Also, this one may have some decent oil, Have not tried it yet:

http://unsfinecrafts.com/shop/index....lnja3sm7qa43t3
    I don't know... For instance, that Rose Attar is something I also know by the name of 'Ruh Gulab', I wrote something about it in this thread: http://community.basenotes.net/showt...31#post1196831

but the price they ask here is just to good to be true, so this simply cannot be the real stuff, just the high quality mysore sandalwood needed to produce this would cost at least triple. Which automatically makes me seriously doubt the rest of their stuff.

Btw, they also sell 'Khus', this is vetiver, for those who are interested. This is probably genuine, because here the price is right. There's really no need for them to mess around with this, as vetiver is not expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Domingo View Post
    I don't know... For instance, that Rose Attar is something I also know by the name of 'Ruh Gulab', I wrote something about it in this thread: http://community.basenotes.net/showt...31#post1196831

but the price they ask here is just to good to be true, so this simply cannot be the real stuff, just the high quality mysore sandalwood needed to produce this would cost at least triple. Which automatically makes me seriously doubt the rest of their stuff.

Btw, they also sell 'Khus', this is vetiver, for those who are interested. This is probably genuine, because here the price is right. There's really no need for them to mess around with this, as vetiver is not expensive.
    yes un's is a bit overpriced, ive smelled one of their ouds which I believe was 250$ or something, not worth it at all...

Just to clarify, a Ruh is a hydro distilled oil into the receiving vessel by itself. A traditional attar is a hydro distilled oil into the receiving vessel containing sandalwood. I get my Attars from Whitelotus, as they are the bomb. They have a special 20 day distillation of Rose attar into sandalwood. check it out:

"raditional Ruhs

Ruhs (hydrodistilled oil) are rarely found in pure form today. They are often adulterated with synthetic chemicals. In the traditional process various flowers, roots, herbs, spices, etc are hydrodistilled in copper vessels into a receiving vessel. This is similar to the process for an attar except that with a ruh the receiving vessel does not contain sandalwood oil (it is therefore, a pure essence of the flower).Please do note that many, many oils in India are in the common market called Ruh but they are not at all what their names claim to be. Authentic ruhs requires a huge amount of labor and fresh materials which makes them costly items to produce.
    Read more... "

Ruh gulab is $350 an ounce, but the Rose, Summer attar is $130 an ounce.

http://www.whitelotusaromatics.com/prices/attars.html

Also, I asked the Whitelotus peeps about Sandalwood for attars in india right now. And basically, the Govt auctions are for attar makers, with the cost of purchasing heartwood, and distilling over $1000 per kilo. For true attar, a light sandalwood oil is used. It should be pure, but does not have to be the darkest.
    Last edited by Aghora; 7th April 2008 at 05:40 PM.

Damn, so there's even better quality to be found. Will check out some of that Whitelotus stuff, for sure. Thanks Aghora!
    --------------------------------------
    Btw, are you familiar with their 'Mitti'? Been looking for a good source for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by irrbloss View Post
    The only fragrances I have tried containing oud is Montale Black Aoud and Montale Aoud Lime. I really don't care for any of them. I do like the rose in Black Aoud, but it's too heavy and too sweet, do you think I would appreciate some of the more expensive ouds from Oriscent?
    What did you not like about the Montales?

Did you ever tried YSL's M7? Did you like the Oud note in this one?
    Last edited by Domingo; 7th April 2008 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Yes, their mitti is out of this world. It smells like forest soil. Great for layering. I like to mix it with shamama.

My favorites from them include:
    Amberi (complex herbal)
    Black musk (herbal)
    Genda / Marigold attar
    Gul Hina (smells like malty syrup!)
    Mitti
    shamama (herbal)

Their stuff is better than what I found in India, they have a personal relationship with the distiller, so thats why they can offer such high quality.

Thanks, then I will order some (love the smell of mitti!), and also a sample of that blue lotus they have.

Ok - forgive me my cynicism please and enlighten me please if I am way off here but I have a couple of issues I would like to air.

I am sitting here with my oriscent brunei supreme on my arm - the sample came in the post this morning. My nose is utterly inexperienced with oud - other than the montales. However, what I am smelling is this- very smokey, woody, with a strong note of gasoline and hay not utterly dissimilar to the one in farenheit. I wonder if this is really the stuff of princes? It does not seem to have the richness and complexity I was expecting given the hype.

That is the other issue - the hype. The oriscent site is covered with the language of advertising, rather that the language of someone confidently selling a product they are sure will sell itself due to quality. Surely if the oils are such high quality and so rare, it would be a struggle to keep it quiet, rather than needing to push so hard.

Any thoughts? I am hoping to be politely shot down with this.
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 8th April 2008 at 12:29 PM.
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Ok - forgive me my cynicism please and enlighten me please if I am way off here but I have a couple of issues I would like to air.

I am sitting here with my oriscent brunei supreme on my arm - the sample came in the post this morning. My nose is utterly inexperienced with oud - other than the montales. However, what I am smelling is this- very smokey, woody, with a strong note of gasoline and hay not utterly dissimilar to the one in farenheit. I wonder if this is really the stuff of princes? It does not seem to have the richness and complexity I was expecting given the hype.

That is the other issue - the hype. The oriscent site is covered with the language of advertising, rather that the language of someone confidently selling a product they are sure will sell itself due to quality. Surely if the oils are such high quality and so rare, it would be a struggle to keep it quiet, rather than needing to push so hard.

Any thoughts? I am hoping to be politely shot down with this.
    I'm not experienced with Brunei Supreme, but I suggest you try Archipelago or Sheikh's Borneo, which are beautiful floral ouds. Green Papua is supposed to be that way too, but I haven't tried it yet. I've mentioned this before, but a woman I know smell Archipelago and almost started to tear up, she thought it smelled so beautiful.
    Currently digging: Le Labo Rose 31 and Oud oils.

Brunei would classify as medium quality...If you want complexity, richness or the stuff of princes the one oil that offers that par excellence as far as Oriscent is concerned is the Royal.. Green Papua or was it Archipelago (one of the two) has a some what similar base note...Ensar says on the blog that some may confuse the Malaysian for Royal...Excepting the Malaysian and Sheikh's Borneo I have tried all the others..They're all unique in their own way but the Royal is just something else..

Thanks Maxwell and Taz.

I'm not all that impressed with Brunei. It has given me a little insight into ouds though. I think I can imagine what a really good one may smell like. This smells somewhat flat, dirty and gasoline like. There are good notes too; woody, smokey and a little sweetness well buried underneath. It worries me that this is medium quality oil. For the oriscent royal to be amazing to me, it would have to be several steps ahead of this - first get rid of the unpleasant notes, second improve the good ones, third add even better ones. I would love to smell the royal and be impressed but I am very loathe to part with the large amount of money involved having had this experience.

Actually, it has made me appreciate the montales more too.I cross tested some montale royal with this. I think the quality of the oud in those montales is not as average as some have said - though the quantity is a little low - it is definitely there and detectable. Also the blending with other ingredients to emphasise certain aspects of the oud fragrance seems all the more impressive.
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 8th April 2008 at 10:02 PM.

reviews

I doubt if you'd like the Royal all that much better, if you don't like this one. I don't care much for either of them.

Maybe its just not your type of Oud.
    Last edited by Domingo; 8th April 2008 at 10:02 PM.

I doubt if you'd like the Royal all that much better, if you don't like this one. I don't care much for either of them.

Maybe its just not your type of Oud.

Maybe -I would like to try one of the "floral" ones but they don't sell individual samples of them.

Which ones do you like Domingo?

reviews

The ones I REALLY like are the Borneo3000 and Sweet China. However the last one is out of stock for over a year.

These, to me, are the cream of the crop. When I have them on my arm is practically glued to my nose.

Next in line are what is often referred to as the 'barnyard type' of Ouds. These I really had a hard time with at first because the opening is best described as vegetarian poop, or a stable, or someone once said it reminded her of the diaper of her baby's. Anyway, after a couple of minutes it gets better and then you get what's probably the most archetypal Oud-note. The one thats almost always used in perfumes. M7, Duro etc.

After that there are the green one's. Papua, Archipelago. These are quite sharp in the beginning. They are also not as deep as other Ouds, but they do work very nice in summer! Very refreshing.

Last are the 'smoky' Ouds. This I consider the Brunei and also the Royal. They give me the sensation of chocking/being in a room full of smoke. However, this is something that a lot of people prefer, because it comes very close to the scent of burning Oud chips. Which I also don't like!

Than there's a very special one called 'Kyara' that Oriscent carried last year (now only sold as samples). This one is an 'airy' Oud. I don't know how else to describe this. I like it, but I would never buy a full bottle of this. It also lasts quite short for an Oud. Pretty linear also.
    Ow, forgot to mention, these are my preferences based on scent, it tells nothing about quality and/or price!
    Last edited by Domingo; 8th April 2008 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

The ones I REALLY like are the Borneo3000 and Sweet China. However the last one is out of stock for over a year.

These, to me, are the cream of the crop. When I have them on my arm is practically glued to my nose.

Next in line are what is often referred to as the 'barnyard type' of Ouds. These I really had a hard time with at first because the opening is best described as vegetarian poop, or a stable, or someone once said it reminded her of the diaper of her baby's. Anyway, after a couple of minutes it gets better and then you get what's probably the most archetypal Oud-note. The one thats almost always used in perfumes. M7, Duro etc.

After that there are the green one's. Papua, Archipelago. These are quite sharp in the beginning. They are also not as deep as other Ouds, but they do work very nice in summer! Very refreshing.

Last are the 'smoky' Ouds. This I consider the Brunei and also the Royal. They give me the sensation of chocking/being in a room full of smoke. However, this is something that a lot of people prefer, because it comes very close to the scent of burning Oud chips. Which I also don't like!

Than there's a very special one called 'Kyara' that Oriscent carried last year (now only sold as samples). This one is an 'airy' Oud. I don't know how else to describe this. I like it, but I would never buy a full bottle of this. It also lasts quite short for an Oud. Pretty linear also.

Thanks for a very helpful post. Maybe I should try the sampler set sometime then which has some green ones and some barnyards, or the borneo 3k. Lot of money to risk though. I have to say though, I think it is also the quality as well as the style which has disappointed me. It showed me the potential, but it didn't deliver.

reviews

Your welcome. Hope you find an Oud you do like one day.

I think it's wonderful stuff, but I must admit the prices are quite insane! So thank god for a strong €, that takes away at least some of the pain.

I took a chance on Agarscents Bazaar, ordering the Burma Super. My hope was not to get a great oud, but a fair one, something I could use for blending. It definitely has a "barnyard" character, opening with a whiff of cowshit, but that disappears quickly, leaving a characteristic (if somewhat rough) oud note, like charred wood and lacquered furniture sitting in a sunbeam. Unfortunately, I'm getting more char than lacquer, but we'll see how the oud evolves; I know it takes some time to open up. Perhaps this is what people mean when they describe oud as sharp and "medicinal".

They kindly included some samples of their other offerings. I have my doubts about the ambergris, though I have no real ambergris to compare it to; the smell is not as I have seen it described, and I wonder if it is only ambroxan. There is also a very tiny amount of their "Cambodi Moattaq", supposedly a much finer oud. I will try it tomorrow.

Hello, I am happy to find another forum on Oud. I have purchased many kinds of Oud from all over the world and my family of Cyprus origin are familiar with oud since my grandfather's time where those quality you can still find from ham_firl Oud. My job requires me to travel from my home to Taiwan, thats where I am based and you can also find many Oud here. And also travell to Indonesia, Malaysia & Thailand on projects. I was in Balikpapan on long project and are now back in Taiwan where I have resources to spent spare time on what I like. I do travel on special mission to the Middle East and Singapore besides Jakarta & Kalimantan looking/experiencing for Oud but for collection purposes. Bye for now.

Just to share with you that I was away in Balikpapan for a long project and got back to Taiwan base for a while now and are able to access the web again with time to spare. I brought a lot of perfumes with me from many sources to Balikpapan and strange, almost everyone are crazy abt ham_firl products. They even bought off from me. I am running out of stocks. Someone brought along some Ouds from other sources and it has the scents of "barnyard", opening with a whiff of cowshit. Oud should not be in this manner. We met an experience Indonesian man who are familiar with Oud and have distillation factory in BanjaMasin. He confirmed that ham_firl Ouds are excellent oud which has excellent scents and not "barnyard" or a whiff of cowshit.
    I neeed to restock again but ham_firl can't be contacted for now. Anybopdy has any idea??

I am interested in purchasing some oud and would like some feedback regarding the following products:

Oriscent - Borneo 3000
    http://www.oriscent.com/product/borneo-3000/142

Ham Firl
    http://www.qt-store.com

Pure and sweet Aloeswood/Agarwood/Oud Burmese oil (I believe this would be the closest to Borneo 3000 in characteristics).

Pure Aloeswood/Agarwood/Oud Royal Brunei oil
    Pure Dark&Rich Aloeswood/Agarwood/Oud Royal oil
    Pure Royal Cambodia OUD Aloeswood / Agarwood oil

Also, how do they compare to the:

Vintage 1980 Burmese OUD Aloeswood/Agarwood oil
    Vintage1970 Indian Assam OUD Aloeswood/Agarwood oil

I believe from what I have read that the Borneo 3000 at $485 is a superior oud but would like to hear about experiences from people in regards to the various other oud's listed ranging in price up to $180. There is a substantial price difference and I was wondering if the cost difference truly justifies this if a comparable product can be obtained for a better price.

Many thanks.