Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Agarwood (oud) oil!

Borneo 3000 may well be of a high quality but it's too floral for me.. I guess I'm used to the middle eastern oudh market and prefer the indian / cambodian scents... With oriscent I would never go for the Assam organic if the Shuyukh is there... imo Shuyukh is an adequate substitute for the more expensive Sulaiman. Both have a similar fecal note. The organic is from cultivated trees and the difference between it and the Sulaiman & Shuyukh is marked...

Kyara is also non Indian profile..I prefer it over Borneo but it doesnt last quite as long and I think it needs to mature a little. Exquisite stuff though!

Finally the Royal is a must have!! Quality oudh! sultry, reagal, smoky, great depth and longevity!

Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    Borneo 3000 may well be of a high quality but it's too floral for me.. I guess I'm used to the middle eastern oudh market and prefer the indian / cambodian scents... With oriscent I would never go for the Assam organic if the Shuyukh is there... imo Shuyukh is an adequate substitute for the more expensive Sulaiman. Both have a similar fecal note. The organic is from cultivated trees and the difference between it and the Sulaiman & Shuyukh is marked...

Kyara is also non Indian profile..I prefer it over Borneo but it doesnt last quite as long and I think it needs to mature a little. Exquisite stuff though!

Finally the Royal is a must have!! Quality oudh! sultry, reagal, smoky, great depth and longevity!
    Do you have any experience with the oud from other suppliers besides Oriscent ie. Ham Firl especially:

Ham Firl
    http://www.qt-store.com

Pure Aloeswood/Agarwood/Oud Royal Brunei oil
    Pure Dark&Rich Aloeswood/Agarwood/Oud Royal oil
    Pure Royal Cambodia OUD Aloeswood / Agarwood oil
    Vintage 1980 Burmese OUD Aloeswood/Agarwood oil
    Vintage1970 Indian Assam OUD Aloeswood/Agarwood oil

I am looking to purchase some oud in addition to the Oriscent sample set possibly from other suppliers and if anyone has experience with the oud listed above or any additional suggestions it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I've tried a bunch of mainstream oudh suppliers from the middle east, abdul samad qurashi, ajmal, oudh al haramain etc.. I wasn't that impressed with their top quality ouds.. Online I've tried agarscents, oriscent and QT...Agarscents is decent quality but not really impressive...I tried QTs double supers, cambodi, hindi and others. To be honest the hindi made me feel nauseous..I havent tried any of the ones u've listed.. Would like to try the vintage though.. If you read back on this post you'll find more info on ham firl.

Post Thanks / Like

Diverdown,
    I’ve bought a number of oud oils from ham_firl. So far, I can tell you that as a general rule of thumb with ham_firl: you are best going with whatever is about $70 and above per 3ml. In just the $70-$120 range alone I have procured some oils comparable to those offered by Oriscent. Oils referred to as ‘Double Super’ tend to be at the higher end of that price range (depending on origin) and thus higher quality. Those labeled ‘Pure’ or even ‘Pure, Dark and Rich’ in the $70-$85 range (or thereabouts!) will get you a VERY decent and quality oud oil that will be both affordable(?!!) for more frequent use, and it will also serve as a good representation of the location from which it originates.
    I have also found a trustworthy e-bayer in Thailand who offers some beautiful Cambodian oud oils for excellent prices. About $130 for 6ml of Cambodia Moattaq has been one the best purchases I’ve made. I’ll dig up the link to his e-bay store and post it a little later.

If you’re further interested, just PM me and I can give you contact info of a distiller in India who is very reliable and offers a great price for his oud. I got him to sign up with PayPal so you can feel a little more secure sending off money.
    If you like Malaysian oud, I’m in contact with a Sudanese brother who deals oud in Kuala Lumpur. He accepts MoneyGrams which is not the most secure method of sending money -but in my dealings with him he’s proven to be very honest and trustworthy.

-WaSalaam

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diverdown View Post
    I am interested in purchasing some oud and would like some feedback regarding the following products:

Oriscent - Borneo 3000
    http://www.oriscent.com/product/borneo-3000/142

Ham Firl
    http://www.qt-store.com

Pure and sweet Aloeswood/Agarwood/Oud Burmese oil (I believe this would be the closest to Borneo 3000 in characteristics).

Pure Aloeswood/Agarwood/Oud Royal Brunei oil
    Pure Dark&Rich Aloeswood/Agarwood/Oud Royal oil
    Pure Royal Cambodia OUD Aloeswood / Agarwood oil

Also, how do they compare to the:

Vintage 1980 Burmese OUD Aloeswood/Agarwood oil
    Vintage1970 Indian Assam OUD Aloeswood/Agarwood oil

I believe from what I have read that the Borneo 3000 at $485 is a superior oud but would like to hear about experiences from people in regards to the various other oud's listed ranging in price up to $180. There is a substantial price difference and I was wondering if the cost difference truly justifies this if a comparable product can be obtained for a better price.

Many thanks.
    I have several of Oriscent's oils and they are all excellent. I haven't purchased anything for a couple of years and his stock has changed considerably since then, but of the oils he currently carries, I have the Green Papua, Archipelago, and Borneo 3000. Another Indonesian oud he used to carry that I own is Sultan Murad which is one of my favourites. I also have some of his Oud Shuyukh, but it's his old stock which I've been led to believe is superior to his "new" Oud Shuyukh. Either way, it's heavenly and is the best Indian oil I have had the pleasure to sample.

I've also purchased many of "Ham Firl's" agarwood oils, and don't believe some of the slanderous comments you may have read in this thread. Dollar for dollar, his more expensive oils are the best I've come across. You can argue that Borneo 3000 may be superior to his Royal Oud (which is also sourced from Borneo), but it's definitely not worth near anything like the 440% price differential would appear. "Ham Firl" simply has the best value oils you can find on the web. In fact, Green Papua and Archipelago are both quite a bit more expensive than his DS Iriyan Jaya and Royal (Borneo) Oud, but I prefer the latter any day.

With regards to the "Pure and sweet Aloeswood/Agarwood/Oud Burmese oil" which you mention, it's characteristics are nothing like Borneo 3000. The scent of Indonesian agarwood oil is completely different to the "Indochinese" scent of most Burmese oils. The apples and oranges comparison would not be totally out of place here.

As far as the Royal Brunei is concerned, I haven't tried it yet, but it's next on my list. The Royal (Borneo) oil is superb value - I personally love it and you won't be disappointed. Same applies to the Royal Cambodian. It has a sweet, almost fruity aroma unlike any oud I have ever smelled. It's a toss-up as to which the of the two is my favourite.

I don't have any of "Ham Firl's" "vintage" oils, so I can't advise you there. I do think, however, you should consider the DS Iriyan Jaya I referred to earlier. He carries many other oils which are not listed on his website, so you might want to enquire as to what else he is carrying at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
    Diverdown,
    I’ve bought a number of oud oils from ham_firl. So far, I can tell you that as a general rule of thumb with ham_firl: you are best going with whatever is about $70 and above per 3ml. In just the $70-$120 range alone I have procured some oils comparable to those offered by Oriscent. Oils referred to as ‘Double Super’ tend to be at the higher end of that price range (depending on origin) and thus higher quality. Those labeled ‘Pure’ or even ‘Pure, Dark and Rich’ in the $70-$85 range (or thereabouts!) will get you a VERY decent and quality oud oil that will be both affordable(?!!) for more frequent use, and it will also serve as a good representation of the location from which it originates.
    Good post . I agree completely with your sentiments, particularly your statement re: sticking to the $70-120 price range.

I'd like to have the address of that Indian distiller you mentioned, if you have time ...

Fee amanillah

Post Thanks / Like

OK
    Here’s the e-bay store link where you can find the Cambodian agarwood oils:
    http://stores.ebay.com/ThaiArcade_W0...Q3amesstQQtZkm

The trippy thing about this e-bay store is that the oud is kinda sold as an afterthought. You’ll see the categories: t-shirts, dresses & tops, metal polish, agarwood oil…(?)
    Go for the Cambodia Fakir and Cambodia Moattaq – you won’t be disappointed.

For the distiller in India e-mail: info@essentialoilscompany.com
    Just introduce yourself and tell them you’d like to purchase 1 tola (12ml) of their ‘Double Super Grade Agarwood oil’ and that you want to pay via PayPal.
    1 tola is their minimum order and it should run about $130 + shipping. That’s very reasonable pricing! Their oil falls somewhere between Oriscent’s ‘Organic Assam’ and ‘Oud Sulaiman’. It doesn’t have quite the extreme punch-in-the-face that the ‘Sulaiman’ delivers, but is tamed with a creamy background. If you’re at all familiar with the ouds offered by Agarscents Bazaar, I’d say it’s almost a direct match to their ‘Hindi #2’ oil.

I can imagine that 1 part of ham-firl’s ‘double super Assam' + 2 parts of this Indian distiller’s ‘double super’ oil would equal a good mock version of Oriscent’s ‘Oud Sulaiman’. Hmmmmmm…
    My pocketbook deters me from experimenting with my oils in this way! I just treat them all as individual treasures –they’re each perfect in their own way.

-Salaam

Wow, spectacular discusion on Oud. I have bought all the oils that you guys mentioned from Oriscent, that Indian distiler, from that Thai, Ham_firl and etc (I normally buy via email for better price). I always have them with me when I travel.

I have brought them over to Balikpapan during my long project work. Over the weeks, just imagine, I lay them all to those who have experience with Oud, the Banjamasin Distiller, the Aramco visitors from Saudi, Qatar Gas people, etc, guest what, all of them goes for ham_firl Royal Oud, the Royal Cambodian, DS Royal Malaysian, DS LAOS, Sweet Burmese, DS Assam, DS Brunei, , the DS Vietnamese, DS Kalimantan ,(even the Banjamasin diustiller was amazed at his DS Kalimantan), DS Irian Jaya and Ds Prajinpuri and even the the Cambodian at US$70 per 3ml.

When u try others like Borneo/Indonesian/Archpelago Oud etc, you get a mix of ham_firl DS Malaysian & his DS Irian Jaya + something else. That Indian distiller Oud has identical ingredient as ham_firl US$24.50 Indian Oud (plantation Oud) but made in differtent way. I like that too.

That Thai Oud too, has steam oil in it.

I have seen them all but Oud can be preference and also you must have the skills to acknowledge them. Like I mentioned before, I was expose to Oud during my grandfather's days.

I do visit Dubai, Saudi and Singapore once or twice a year for Agarwood but only able to meet ham_firl once in Hyatt Hotel where I was staying and witness a prince from SAUDI purchased almost US$400,000 worth of Agarwood from ham_firl including oil and woods.

There is a famous Warehouse where you can find many Oud.

Ham_firl store is not in RUBBY WAREGHHOUSE. The warehouse people also buy from him for top quality Oud that can range >US$7000 PER KG and also oil. And you can't see these high end stuffs when you visit the warehouse. They will only show it to certain peopel that they know.

I heard from the Warehouse people that almost all Middle East Royal family buy Oud from ham_firl.

Not able to see him since that day as he is always busy.

I will write again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Passo_s692 View Post
    That Indian distiller Oud has identical ingredient as ham_firl US$24.50 Indian Oud (plantation Oud) but made in differtent way. I like that too.

I'm actually quite a fan of ham_firl's $24.50 indian oud myself. Pricewise, it can't be beat. I've been sniffing it from my wrist all day now!
    When I first recieved it in the mail a few months back I was a little put off by it 'cause it just seemed too hauntingly sweet...and I don't mean excessive candy-like sweetness but a persistent, soft, balsamy sweet note; always at the forefront.
    After a few minutes all the smokey, loamy, 'horse stable' notes I initially expected began to peek through -but always very subtle and veiled in that soft, sweet woodiness.
    All that for less than $25!

-Salaam

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, spectacular discusion on Oud. I have bought all the oils that you guys mentioned from Oriscent, that Indian distiler, from that Thai, Ham_firl and etc (I normally buy via email for better price). I always have them with me when I travel.

I have brought them over to Balikpapan during my long project work. Over the weeks, just imagine, I lay them all to those who have experience with Oud, the Banjamasin Distiller, the Aramco visitors from Saudi, Qatar Gas people, etc, guest what, all of them goes for ham_firl Royal Oud, the Royal Cambodian, DS Royal Malaysian, DS LAOS, Sweet Burmese, DS Assam, DS Brunei, , the DS Vietnamese, DS Kalimantan ,(even the Banjamasin diustiller was amazed at his DS Kalimantan), DS Irian Jaya and Ds Prajinpuri and even the the Cambodian at US$70 per 3ml.
    Yes, his DS Kalimantan is one of my favourites too. The opening notes remind me of Oriscent's old Sultan Murad stock, but the DS Kalimantan was almost half the price. Really great value! Ham Firl's DS Burmese is also a really lovely oil, but I don't know whether he has any in stock right now, or if he does, whether it is different than the oil I purchased a couple of years ago...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm actually quite a fan of ham_firl's $24.50 indian oud myself. Pricewise, it can't be beat. I've been sniffing it from my wrist all day now!
    When I first recieved it in the mail a few months back I was a little put off by it 'cause it just seemed too hauntingly sweet...and I don't mean excessive candy-like sweetness but a persistent, soft, balsamy sweet note; always at the forefront.
    After a few minutes all the smokey, loamy, 'horse stable' notes I initially expected began to peek through -but always very subtle and veiled in that soft, sweet woodiness.
    All that for less than $25!

-Salaam
    Yes, for < $25, it is good value. I think he's blending it somewhat differently now, or the wood itself has changed, because when I first purchased the oil a couple of years ago, the "barnyard" notes were much more pronounced. Anyway, you'll never get identical oud from one batch to the next, or even from one tree to the next, for that matter...

Quote Originally Posted by Abdul_Qa'im View Post
    Yes, for < $25, it is good value. I think he's blending it somewhat differently now, or the wood itself has changed, because when I first purchased the oil a couple of years ago, the "barnyard" notes were much more pronounced. Anyway, you'll never get identical oud from one batch to the next, or even from one tree to the next, for that matter...

This is from Indian/Assam Plantation Oud. Once the tree are injected with resins, the agarwood will be form and thats where the portion of the tree will be cut. And this will be cooked till it becomes like greasy/creamy/crystal like substance. The scents is very strong but not everyone will like it.

When you purchase Indian Oud/Assam Oil from others and even from Assam distiller, > most part of the oil is being made from this substance and some dealers sell them at high price.

Ham_firl Hindi Grade A and also DS Assam are from wild agarwood. These are from wood found border of Assam/Burma/Bangladesh but more towards Assam jungle.
    Last edited by Passo_s692; 11th May 2008 at 04:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Another eBay seller that's been around for some time can be found at http://stores.ebay.com/MINGCHINA_Fra...QQftidZ2QQtZkm but I have no idea whatsoever whether the oil they sell is any good or not. Anyone tried these guys?

When u try others like Borneo/Indonesian/Archpelago Oud etc, you get a mix of ham_firl DS Malaysian & his DS Irian Jaya + something else. That Indian distiller Oud has identical ingredient as ham_firl US$24.50 Indian Oud (plantation Oud) but made in differtent way. I like that too.

That Thai Oud too, has steam oil in it.

I have seen them all but Oud can be preference and also you must have the skills to acknowledge them. Like I mentioned before, I was expose to Oud during my grandfather's days.

I do visit Dubai, Saudi and Singapore once or twice a year for Agarwood but only able to meet ham_firl once in Hyatt Hotel where I was staying and witness a prince from SAUDI purchased almost US$400,000 worth of Agarwood from ham_firl including oil and woods.

There is a famous Warehouse where you can find many Oud.

Ham_firl store is not in RUBBY WAREGHHOUSE. The warehouse people also buy from him for top quality Oud that can range >US$7000 PER KG and also oil. And you can't see these high end stuffs when you visit the warehouse. They will only show it to certain peopel that they know.

I heard from the Warehouse people that almost all Middle East Royal family buy Oud from ham_firl.

Not able to see him since that day as he is always busy.

I will write again.

Wow you sound like Mr. QT. himself. How are things Ham? Or whatever your name is.
    Your claims are obvious and laughable. I had a chance to meet a couple of the real players when I was in Singapore. Two of these respectable gentlemen had been in business more than 20 years and know nothing of Qanaat Trading. I would tend to trust what they say, as they had in their warehouses, millions of dollars worth of wood (literally). If one goes to Ruby warehouse, one will find the same wood you sell on Ebay for 25% of the price....

As for you selling to Royalty, the truth is, Princes, Sheiks and Sultans don't waste their time going to Singapore to buy Oud or oil. Usually, they will have a trusted representative, an expert in the field, pick the choicest burning woods and wood to be distilled. Then they will ship that wood to the distillery, to have a private distillation commissioned. This is true Royal Oud and can be quite expensive.

So how is it that Royal Oud, that can cost at a minimum $100 + per ml, can be sold on ebay for $45 ml?

I am confused about that. And how is it so called vintage oil from the 1970's (LOL) is sold on ebay for $60 a ml, when it usually goes for triple that price or more? It just isnt logical.

And also, how authentic is that Assam oil? Do you know how rare wild A. agollocha is in Assam these days? I had a chance to ask an Indian distiller how often they receive spent dust from highly matured trees. The answer is rarely or hardly ever. And when they do, they are quite surprised.

Almost all of the Assam oil is from cultivated trees, even though most will say its "wild" It is quite the cottage industry in assam these days, the distillers even have an association.

Lol
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

Quote Originally Posted by Aghora View Post
    Wow you sound like Mr. QT. himself. How are things Ham? Or whatever your name is.
    Your claims are obvious and laughable. I had a chance to meet a couple of the real players when I was in Singapore. Two of these respectable gentlemen had been in business more than 20 years and know nothing of Qanaat Trading. I would tend to trust what they say, as they had in their warehouses, millions of dollars worth of wood (literally). If one goes to Ruby warehouse, one will find the same wood you sell on Ebay for 25&#37; of the price....

As for you selling to Royalty, the truth is, Princes, Sheiks and Sultans don't waste their time going to Singapore to buy Oud or oil. Usually, they will have a trusted representative, an expert in the field, pick the choicest burning woods and wood to be distilled. Then they will ship that wood to the distillery, to have a private distillation commissioned. This is true Royal Oud and can be quite expensive.

So how is it that Royal Oud, that can cost at a minimum $100 + per ml, can be sold on ebay for $45 ml?

I am confused about that. And how is it so called vintage oil from the 1970's (LOL) is sold on ebay for $60 a ml, when it usually goes for triple that price or more? It just isnt logical.

And also, how authentic is that Assam oil? Do you know how rare wild A. agollocha is in Assam these days? I had a chance to ask an Indian distiller how often they receive spent dust from highly matured trees. The answer is rarely or hardly ever. And when they do, they are quite surprised.

Almost all of the Assam oil is from cultivated trees, even though most will say its "wild" It is quite the cottage industry in assam these days, the distillers even have an association.
    Bingo!

Its a whole lot of BS.
    Most oud sold on Ebay is utter crap.

If you want real quality oud, you have to get it from Oriscent. I know of no other place (online) that sells oil of this quality. They offer a twice your money back guarentee if anything other than pure oud is found in their oils.
    Last edited by ajmc; 11th May 2008 at 11:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
    Bingo!

Its a whole lot of BS.
    Most oud sold on Ebay is utter crap.

If you want real quality oud, you have to get it from Oriscent. I know of no other place (online) that sells oil of this quality. They offer a twice your money back guarentee if anything other than pure oud is found in their oils.
    OK, I must admit I had a good laugh. I also agree about the wild Assam being as rare as hen's teeth from everything I hear.

Anyway, you are right about Oriscent probably being the best on the web, but that "twice your money back guarantee" is a little hollow. Do you know how much a GC analysis from a reputable lab costs? Oriscent only sells in 3ml quantities, so the idea that someone is going to spend money on having their 1/4 tolah of Oriscent oil analysed, even Sulaiman or Royale, is ludicrous. The offer may be genuine but I'd bet my left one that nobody will ever take them up on it...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I agree with Aghora. When I read Passo_s692 posting, I kind of wondered is he the guy himself or has been paid to promote the singapore dude? Regardless of whether there is a connection or not, I believe he is taking advantage of general American public not having enough knowledge, just like attar Bazaar are for their 10X prices for the quality they are selling! If he is such a big player in the middle east dealing in quality Oudh, then there aren't too many people over there who know about his business. I just had a chance to experience his Cambodian Oudhs. They are somewhat decent quality. But certainly not worth the price he is selling them for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mudassir View Post
    I agree with Aghora. When I read Passo_s692 posting, I kind of wondered is he the guy himself or has been paid to promote the singapore dude?
    Probably the former ...

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Agarwood (oud) oil!

I agree with Aghora. When I read Passo_s692 posting, I kind of wondered is he the guy himself
    MAN! That was some pretty funny sh|t !!!
    I guess I wasn't the only one thinking the same thing. The onslaught of inside information and promotion had to be the real giveaway. That's a tough one to live down...

Oh well, I'm gonna go drop a few hundred at his store right now. I have to admit I'm still a satisfied ham_firl customer. You get what you pay for - I don't agree with the above statement about his goods being "utter crap".

Quote Originally Posted by Abdul_Qa'im View Post
    Another eBay seller that's been around for some time can be found at http://stores.ebay.com/MINGCHINA_Fra...QQftidZ2QQtZkm but I have no idea whatsoever whether the oil they sell is any good or not. Anyone tried these guys?
    Hi. Ham_firl has informed me not to tell too much as someone in this forum has informed him of what I have written. So I will lay low here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Manuel,
    "Utter crap" might be an extreme. But there should be quite a bit of truth in your marketing. A street corner hamburger joint can market itself as a fine-dining restaurant if it chooses to, but it won't make it so.

I am not defending Ham_firl or whatsoever, Of course they know nothing of Qanaat Tading. No one knows ham_firl as QT or Qanaat Trading. Its only his ebay name. I address him as Abu Danish. When I was at Hyatt witnessing the Saudi Prince purchased of the Oud, that prince address him Abu Helmi. You know nothing about Ruby Warehouse. They do not waste time with small buyer like you.

I visited them at least 2 times in a year. If they have something good, I will take all as ham_firl Stocks are always reserves for someone. If you said that one will find the same wood QT sells on Ebay for 25% of the price, you know nothing of Oud

Princes, Sheiks and Sultans do come to Singapore on special event like IMF, AirShow, etc and buy Oud. Your experience is shallow on Oud. Your true Royal Oud done in the factory has a chemical booster done in the factory to make the scents strong and last longer. The Banjamasin,Kalimantan & the Assam distiller show it to me. Do u know that there are facilities in S'pore that distill Oud.? Even Ruby warehouse people will shut on this as Oud is a restricted products and Singapore is verey strict on this.

You have not met the real Assam distiller then for what you have written. As you are new to OUD. You should go to Moya to find more distiller for Assam wood.

May be you have problem with ham_firl, that’s your problem but I am truly happy with his products. Even my family of generations with Oud also loves his Oud for superb price & quality. Others bought from him or his resellers even in Middle East. And sell them everywhere.

Ham_firl has asked me not to write anything here after someone told him about me writing abt him supplying to the Royalties.

I guess I wasn't the only one thinking the same thing. The onslaught of inside information and promotion had to be the real giveaway. That's a tough one to live down...

Oh well, I'm gonna go drop a few hundred at his store right now. I have to admit I'm still a satisfied ham_firl customer. You get what you pay for - I don't agree with the above statement about his goods being "utter crap".

Manuel,

Please let us know which products you plan on purchasing and what characteristics the particular products have.

It will help us in our decision making purchases in buying oud in the future.

Also, if you could provide a review of any new oud you purchase that would be great.

Many Thanks.

Ham_firl has asked me not to write anything here after someone told him about me writing abt him supplying to the Royalties.
    But yet you still write...

More LOL!

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Agarwood (oud) oil!

there should be quite a bit of truth in your marketing. A street corner hamburger joint can market itself as a fine-dining restaurant if it chooses to, but it won't make it so.
    I TOTALLY agree. Although... I can attest to how damn good of a burger they sling out at Rick's Burgers down the street - and they state themselves "world famous", which I highly doubt they are.

I'm simply saying that I have been pleased with everything I've purchased through ham_firl. I have agarwood oils from other sources (including Oriscent) to which I can compare with. Some of the folks at our local mosque who are very familiar with agarwood have complimented on his products as well. Value for the dollar is the only point I'm trying to make here; and for that reason I'll continue to purchase his items and recommend them to others.
    But about marketing: Now, I MUST admit too that as long as QT's alter-ego keeps posting on this thread my case is getting harder to plead!
    Passo!!! Dude, c'mon man! You're embarrassing me bro.

-Salaam
    Last edited by Manuel; 12th May 2008 at 04:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Manuel,
    I hear what you are saying.

Here is a "best bang for the buck" for people not familiar with Oudh. Of course based on the price, it is all synthetic. They should have put "Oudh type" in there instead of Oudh. But it doesn't smell as cheap as it is!

http://www.exoticfragrances.com/shop...html&ns=Y&dci=

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I'm still chuckling. I'd better change soon as I think I'm getting a diaper rash .

Still, like you, I'm going to continue to buy his products. I still think Oriscent's top oils are superior to his, but dollar for dollar, he's great value. I guess plebeians like me who can't afford to pay $400-$500 for a 1/4 tolah of oud will just have to make do with the "utter crap" some have described his products as. I have to admit, unlike Aghora, my nose isn't refined enough to judge the precise amount of pure oud in an oil (read his Ripoff Report posting), but then again if it were, I'd be hiring myself out to bulk buyers of agarwood oil ...

Cool Re: Agarwood (oud) oil!

Manuel,

Here is a "best bang for the buck" for people not familiar with Oudh. Of course based on the price, it is all synthetic. They should have put "Oudh type" in there instead of Oudh. But it doesn't smell as cheap as it is!

Great, now all we need is a good source for synthetic rose, than we can all make our own Montales.

Post Thanks / Like

Manuel,

Yeah, 1lb of "Oud" oil for $48 - that's great value .

So long as I do not write on Ham_firl supply to the Royalties, he has no concern.

Manuel, Why should you be embarrass. My intention is not to promote Ham_firl but to let people know what is value for money out there. Ham_firl does not need to be marketed, Even if I market for him, he will still not let me purchased his new distill Brunei's Oud that he is distilled for yet another Middle East company.

Another person that you may want to see when you are in Singapore is Anuar and Fahmi. These are 2 persons that also sell high quality Oud in Singapore. Ruby Warehouse will not tell you all these.

Many thanks and pls my name is Ayub Effendi.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Agarwood (oud) oil!

Haa!!!
    Yes! Four dollars is an excellent price now. What was I thinking when I dropped five hundred bucks for 'Oud Sulaiman' when this was here all along?! LOL
    That gives me an idea: maybe we should just start a thread about 'Fake Ouds'.
    Everyone can evaluate which company duplicates nature the best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Domingo View Post
    Great, now all we need is a good source for synthetic rose, than we can all make our own Montales.

Domingo,
    My first experience of "attars" in the USA was Attar Bazaar. I had heard people who dish out $150-250 on fragrances without even thinking about it go goo goo gaa gaa at Attar Bazaar's stuff. This exotic fragrances stuff is a much better quality for a whole lot less than Attar Bazaar. The cheap thrills in oils are not going to smell as cheap as cheap thrills in alcohol scents made in china.

Post Thanks / Like

So long as I do not write on Ham_firl supply to the Royalties, he has no concern.

Manuel, Why should you be embarrass. My intention is not to promote Ham_firl but to let people know what is value for money out there.
    Well, I'm definitely not embarrassed to buy oud from Ham Firl !!!

Domingo,
    My first experience of "attars" in the USA was Attar Bazaar. I had heard people who dish out $150-250 on fragrances without even thinking about it go goo goo gaa gaa at Attar Bazaar's stuff. This exotic fragrances stuff is a much better quality for a whole lot less than Attar Bazaar. The cheap thrills in oils are not going to smell as cheap as cheap thrills in alcohol scents made in china.
    The Perfumers Apprentice also has some excellent oud smell-a-like's (of mysore sandalwood too, btw). In fact I mentioned these before to people on this board, just so they would have some sort of reference and to know how good some imitations are these days. But still, it's only the smell, there's no fulfillment...

If you take a deep whiff of real ouds and real sandalwoods, you are easily satisfied for a couple of minutes (compare to taking a draw from a cigar or sipping a glass good cognac). With fakes on the other hand, even if you had the lungs of an elephant, you still would not be able to reach that point of satisfaction, because there's simply nothing 'behind' that smell.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

And let me guess. You get that experience with Montales?:-)
    If you say yes, then I am sorry to say it might be the amount of $ you are dishing out that is forcing you to have that experience.

The Perfumers Apprentice also has some excellent oud smell-a-like's (of mysore sandalwood too, btw). In fact I mentioned these before to people on this board, just so they would have some sort of reference and to know how good some imitations are these days. But still, it's only the smell, there's no fulfillment...

If you take a deep whiff of real ouds and real sandalwoods, you are easily satisfied for a couple of minutes (compare to taking a draw from a cigar or sipping a glass good cognac). With fakes on the other hand, even if you had the lungs of an elephant, you still would not be able to reach that point of satisfaction, because there's simply nothing 'behind' that smell.

Cool Re: Agarwood (oud) oil!

And let me guess. You get that experience with Montales?:-)
    If you say yes, then I am sorry to say it might be the amount of $ you are dishing out that is forcing you to have that experience.
    LOL

Euhm, you might wanna read this, for my opinion on Montale.

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...light=Real+Oud

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

LOL

Euhm, you might wanna read this, for my opinion on Montale.

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...light=Real+Oud

Oh, I mentioned Montale because you brought it up. I am sure even Montale uses expensinve ingredients. But at the end of the day, the quality/purity of the ingreients only takes you so far. Its the expertise and painstaking work in adulteration that gives you the final product- perhaps more important in the case of alcohol based fragrances than oils.

The bottom line is: it *has* to smell "expensive" and luxurious, if you claim to have expensive ingredients. Ham_Firl fails in that regard for the price he is charging.

What effects have people here experienced from wearing different types of oud?

There are discussions of oud having various spiritual, meditative and aphrodisiac affects on others.

Has anyone consistently experienced the aphrodisiac effect on others when wearing oud?

What type of oud in your experience is the most pleasing for you and has the greatest mass appeal (can be worn in the office and public settings).

Many thanks.
    Last edited by Diverdown; 12th May 2008 at 01:47 PM.

I haven't noticed any aphrodisiac effects, neither on myself, nor on others. If that is what you're looking for, I suggest you switch your focus to musk instead of oud.

I know it gets mentioned a lot lately regarding oud, but you best keep in mind that SEX SELLS!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What effects have people here experienced from wearing different types of oud?

There are discussions of oud having various spiritual, meditative and aphrodisiac affects on others.

Has anyone consistently experienced the aphrodisiac effect on others when wearing oud?

What type of oud in your experience is the most pleasing for you and has the greatest mass appeal (can be worn in the office and public settings).

Many thanks.

Not sure how "spiritual, meditative and aphrodisiac" are the same kind of effects ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't noticed any effects from the burning wood or the oil, except that I keep smelling it over and over again, but I guess ppol do that with just about any perfume they like...I guess the effects cannot be perceived at a concious level =) ... People say pure oudh only effects mystics or deeply spiritual ppol..Can't really verify that..I suppose a real mystic is as elusive as pure oudh lol..I definitely feel something when smelling burning luban (frankincense) though .. Makes me feel somewhat relaxed and zoned out. The effect does not last long though
    Last edited by Taz; 12th May 2008 at 02:59 PM.

Not sure how "spiritual, meditative and aphrodisiac" are the same kind of effects ;-)
    I don't see me saying that they are the same kind of effects ;P

The various oud sites from Oriscent, Ham_Firl etc describe some of the purported effects of quality oud and as I am a newcomer to oud wanted to know if they were valid claims or advertising propaganda

My experience with the ouds I received from Agarscents has been disappointing. The "Dhen Oudh Burma Super" starts with cowshit and ends with the bitter reek of a recent fire, and has little else to offer along the journey. The "Cambodi Moattaq" sample sent with the same shipment, which was much more expensive and supposedly a high quality oud, contains less cowshit and burning and more of the spicy, floral, resinous, and sweet-woody notes I expect to find in oud.. but to me this is still not a heavenly scent by any means, and I can't see how they justify their asking price. IMO, the oud available from Eden Botanicals is greatly superior to either of these, even if it is somewhat tame and shallow.

I believe I will reconsider buying from ham_firl, when circumstances allow me to do so (their shipping requirements are incompatible with my present living situation). Skipping straight to Oriscent is tempting, but their prices are simply out of my league.

The various oud sites from Oriscent, Ham_Firl etc describe some of the purported effects of quality oud and as I am a newcomer to oud wanted to know if they were valid claims or advertising propaganda
    I have seen many claims made for rare oils, particularly sandalwood, oud, and lotus, that they can elevate your spiritual state, or alter your consciousness, or act as an aphrodesiac. I don't believe a word of them; I think it's all mystical mumbo-jumbo that some people are smart enough to use to sell product and some people are dumb enough to fall for. Even the claims of people weeping or becoming ecstatic strike me as misleading at best; someone might very well cry upon hearing Beethoven's 9th, or eating a really good steak, or seeing a beautiful painting or landscape, but most people won't, and I don't think that has anything to do with the acuity of their senses or the level of their spirituality.

Based on the excellent reviews I have read I have ordered the following oud samples from Oriscent:

Borneo 3000
    Kyara LTD
    Oud Royale
    Oud Shuyukh
    Archipelago
    Sheikh’s Borneo
    Assam Organic
    Chinese Exclusive Oud

I will be ordering from Ham_Firl as well to compare the differences in quality.

Also, does anyone use oud daily and which type do you use?

Based on the excellent reviews I have read I have ordered the following oud samples from Oriscent:

Borneo 3000
    Kyara LTD
    Oud Royale
    Oud Shuyukh
    Archipelago
    Sheikh’s Borneo
    Assam Organic
    Chinese Exclusive Oud

I wore Archipelago daily until I ran out (I still have a tiny bit left). My girlfriend loves it, and it's my favourite among the oud I've tried. I can't appreciate a lot of my mainstream perfumes in the same way anymore since I've experienced oud. It's made me a lot pickier in my scent choices.
    Currently digging: Le Labo Rose 31 and Oud oils.

My experience with the ouds I received from Agarscents has been disappointing. ...
    IMO, the oud available from Eden Botanicals is greatly superior to either of these, even if it is somewhat tame and shallow.
    Can anyone else comment on the Agarwood CO2 from Eden Botanicals? They say it is from Assam plantation grown trees.

http://www.edenbotanicals.com/essentials1.html#agarwood
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Post Thanks / Like

Xplo ur spot on with the Cambodi Moattaq.. I didn't find much to recommend it..The burma super does have the typical burmese oudh notes but its not on my favorites list either.. I found Agarscents' musks more impressive...They'll be getting a Cambodi classic oudh which isn't listed on the site.. I sampled some...That one hits you like a train...Starts off very oudy, spicy..Dries down to a sweeter, more woody, earthy note...One of the best I've tried.
    Last edited by Taz; 12th May 2008 at 08:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Re: Agarwood (oud) oil!

Quote Originally Posted by dcampen View Post
    Can anyone else comment on the Agarwood CO2 from Eden Botanicals? They say it is from Assam plantation grown trees.

Salty, medicinal and as they say, dark and viscous.. I dont think I will ever buy CO2 scents.. Especially not CO2 oudh.. The procedure really wrecks it!!!

Borneo 3000
    Kyara LTD
    Oud Royale
    Oud Shuyukh
    Archipelago
    Sheikh’s Borneo
    Assam Organic
    Chinese Exclusive Oud

Wow, that's some good stuff! In fact I believe it's just about everything they offer at the moment!

Regarding the use of oud, no, I don't wear it on a daily basis, but lately (over the last month or so) I started using it more frequently (again).

Also, I have been experimenting with combining oud's with 'regular' fragrances, after reading somewhere that this is in fact quite common among Arab men.

I must say I discovered some pretty good combo's. Really must explore this some more in the near future.

Who needs Montale, eh?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    I can't appreciate a lot of my mainstream perfumes in the same way anymore since I've experienced oud. It's made me a lot pickier in my scent choices.

DITTO!

Wow, that's some good stuff! In fact I believe it's just about everything they offer at the moment!

Regarding the use of oud, no, I don't wear it on a daily basis, but lately (over the last month or so) I started using it more frequently (again).

Also, I have been experimenting with combining oud's with 'regular' fragrances, after reading somewhere that this is in fact quite common among Arab men.

I must say I discovered some pretty good combo's. Really must explore this some more in the near future.

Who needs Montale, eh?

Could you please share what combos you have discovered that are exceptional?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Diverdown; 12th May 2008 at 09:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

oud, amber and rose otto is an old blend.. you cant go wrong with it unless u add too much rose...Generally..20&#37; oudh, 70% amber 10% rose would make a good blend.

Its doesn't even come close to high quality oud. But for what it is, it really is not that bad at all. It actually reminds me of M7. Maybe this is the type (CO2) of oud YSL used.

Also, EB is honest, they don't make false claims about the quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    oud, amber and rose otto is an old blend.. you cant go wrong with it unless u add too much rose...Generally..20% oudh, 70% amber 10% rose would make a good blend.
    Where do you get your amber and rose from?

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't bought any online...I buy them from middle eastern markets..They usually have many different grades...I think White Lotus would be a good option online...I've tried their Ruh's and some of their attars...Good quality!!

http://www.whitelotusaromatics.com/prices/attars.html

I have a sample of it, and I like it, but it's not even close to being high quality oud. But like someone already said. Eden Botanicals is very honest and says straight up that it's not good quality. But for the price, it smells really good mixed with sandalwood oil.

It's very barnyard and smells close to Indian distilled oud. After a while (30+ minutes) it turns very sweet on my skin. And only the TINIEST little bit is needed... 1/16th of a drop will cover both of my arms with scent.
    Currently digging: Le Labo Rose 31 and Oud oils.

If you're asking because you haven't tried it, I encourage you to order a sample. Their oud samples are extremely tiny (about a drop, IIRC), but the oil is so potent that this is more than enough for testing on your hand or on a fragrance strip, and their price for a sample is very affordable. (I wish more oud sellers did this. Maybe they have something to hide? )