Code of Conduct
Page 21 of 42 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

Default Re: Agarwood (oud) oil!

BN members please know that I would never make such a statement unless I was sure that it was justified. Hope it will save others from experiencing the pain that I and other BN members have experienced first hand.

Fellow oud lovers, in case you haven't seen it yet, there's a sale on all Oriscent products, some items are offered at 30% off! I've bought Borneo's Sheikh and Royal Kinam as well as the last bottle of Archipelago

Ahhh, so you're the guy who bought that last bottle of Archipelago ! You just spent the better part of a thousand bucks on that sale, Igor01 .
    Last edited by Abdul_Qa'im; 25th January 2009 at 05:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abdul_Qa'im View Post
    Ahhh, so you're the guy who bought that last bottle of Archipelago ! .
    I just couldn't resist it, Archipelago is such an amazing oud, light and fruity, with an amazingly soft, almost mint-like projection. Well that, and the fact that it was the last bottle, I just had to pull the trigger. As we all know, once Ensar runs out of a particular oil, he never brings it back.

I have a request for anybody who has tried Royal Kinam from Oriscent - would they please share their impressions? I would love to know what it is that I bought lol. I was considering Blue Brunei as well but the references comparing Royal Kinam to Kyara sealed the deal...

borneo 4000 is on serious sale
    Last edited by illmOnk; 6th February 2009 at 04:28 PM.

I bought a small (1 ml) of Ham_Firl's Pure DSuper Kalimantan recently and must say that I'm pleasantly surprised with the quality of this one! It's just a very good, clean smelling Oud. Specially at this price!

Opening may be a bit harsh, but this fades away after a few minutes upon which it becomes real smooth without any nasty fecal notes. True, it may not be as 'deep' and 'complex' as some other Oud's, but these often cost 3 to 4 times as much, so go figure...
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

Yeah some of Ham Firl's oils are simply awful, but others really are great value for the price.

Would anybody be willing to part with a small quantity (even microscopic) of the now discontinued Oriscent oils - Kyara LTD, Oud Royale and Borneo 3000? I would gladly buy them or swap for Archipelago, Sheikh's Borneo, Borneo 4000 or Royal Kinam.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudassir View Post
    Gaivs,
    If you've ever lived in the middle east and have had experience with the traditional perfumery over there, then it will be quite a bit hard for you to get impressed with Montale. Their products, no doubt, are high quality. But almost all of them smell more like a dilution of concentrated oils widely available in the middle east- and I'm not talking about the high-end stuff.
    I totally agree with Muddassir.
    I am from Kuwait and i remmeber we had just few names for the ouds.
    the names wehre about the ingridient. For exampel Oud safaraan.... this was an oud oil with safron oil.
    and than musc o amber........ this is a mix of bothe......... and some other simple names.
    But it was al about the traditional marketplace and the quality.

Smile Re: Agarwood (oud) oil!

I'm a basenotes rookie who has just purchased my first lot of (cheap but cheerful) oud. Your posts have been very helpful.

I previously smelt pure oud only once, and it was a sweet, high grade oil that was strong but inoffensive from first application to dry down. I don't know the origin, but it was purchased in Oman.

Anyway, I've spent the last two days wading through the 'barnyard hour' before starting to get the familiar oud smell coming through.

Having read through a lot of the posts in this thread, I think i just might have to purchase Oriscent's Borneo 4000 sample as a little treat next pay day.

I see a progression from a love of woody, incense smells up to the oud addiction.

Thanks for all the help on here.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaninDubh View Post
    Having read through a lot of the posts in this thread, I think i just might have to purchase Oriscent's Borneo 4000 sample as a little treat next pay day.
    I hope that when you say "sample of Borneo 4000" you don't mean the .5 gram vials that Oriscent is selling? For just a few dollars more you can buy 1ml from illmonk if he still has some left. Or, you could always splurge for a full bottle since Oriscent put it on clearance price.

If you like the woody aspect of oud, you can also try Oriscent's Sheikh's Borneo, it has a similar typical sweet, woody, somewhat fruity signature scent with less sweetness than 4000. A more economical option is the DSuper Kalimantan from eBay seller Ham_Firl, that oild is pretty decent to my nose with significantly more woodiness and a yummy vetiver-like note. All of these are not "stinky" or "barnyard" at all.

Thanks Igor

I've just bought 1ml of DSuper Kalimantan as recommended by Igor. Cheers mate! I'll be watching the mail until it comes!

It was my first night wearing my 'rough' oud. I had it on for a couple of hours by the time I went out. One friend told me it wasn't too nice. An hour later, when I walked by she said it was actually very nice, like sandalwood but very different. So I explained. She's intrigued and wants to know more!

Even now I'm enjoying an hour of cowshit before that oud essence comes through, but I look forward to the new oil.

Thanks for the help on here, it really is the most info I've been able to find for something that I think so many people could love if they just got past the idea of a single scent that is so much more complex and rewarding than many of the intricately and very well mixed perfumes on the market.

I hope you like the Kalimantan, you've bought something on a recommendation from another oud newb Please post your impressions once you give it a thorough try.

Come and join the Oud Social Group if you haven't already, tons of info and a great knowledgable bunch!

I'm sure I will, I was going to buy the .5ml of the borneo anyway, so it can only be good

I'll join the group, thanks!

Hello ,

About Agarwood Oil ,

Some agarwood , especially with Harvest and Pungent quality is posible
    blended in Carrier Oil ?
    As posible what kind of Carrier Oils ?

Thanks !!
    LX
    Looking for Creed Spice & Wood / swap fragances , Creed Vingate Tabarome and more... http://www.basenotes.net/threads/374...me-Cuir-Beluga

Quote Originally Posted by 1234567890 View Post
    Hello ,

About Agarwood Oil ,

Some agarwood , especially with Harvest and Pungent quality is posible
    blended in Carrier Oil ?
    As posible what kind of Carrier Oils ?

Thanks !!
    LX
    123.. , I would try something stable and relatively neutral like sweet almond or jojoba oil, or you could try what the 'professionals' use - DOP

Hi Peoples, Look on my sig for my list for sale/trade:

What is that profesionals use to diluid agarwood oil ?

Thanks ,
    Looking for Creed Spice & Wood / swap fragances , Creed Vingate Tabarome and more... http://www.basenotes.net/threads/374...me-Cuir-Beluga

A hideous chemical called DOP that makes it thick, weak and apparently does shocking things to your endocrine system Look above on the post, there should be info. Most people would say don't dilute, but if you want to I'd go with one of Abdul's first two suggestions!!

I find that diluting oud makes it a much more enjoyable experience. Undiluted oud, and most other essential oils for that matter, are overpowering to the senses and many times have a negative effect. For example I find that when I meditate using undiluted oud it has a stimulating/aggravating effect on me. Diluted, it has a very mind calming effect on me. I also notice that I experience many scent notes that I cannot detect in undiluted oil. For me, a good oud only takes 1 drop oud in 19 drops Jojoba oil. Though I have never used it personally, I hear that fractionated coconut oil is very good as well. Jojoba has a mild nutty scent which has never been a problem for me as it fades away in a few days after mixing. From what I understand, the fractionated coconut oil has no detectible scent.

Both the Jojoba and the Fractionated Coconut oil are pure and natural.

A while ago MrP posted in the Oud Social Group discussion about his positive experiences of diluting oud oils with alcohol. He seems to like the result a lot and recommends using a small roll-on bottle.

For using as a perfume, food grade alcohol would probably be a really good choice - Everclear, grape alcohol, perfumers alcohol, etc. The roll on bottle is a really good idea. Thanks Egor01/MrP.

(anyone familiar with the oriscent "malaysian sultan" from a while back. very nice oil. sweet and smokey, it is the oil that got confused with the oud royale). feel free to pm me.
    Last edited by illmOnk; 13th April 2009 at 04:09 PM.

Just received my 1ml DSuper Kalimantan for ham_firl. Thank you Igor, just what I was looking for. Initial impressions, I'm delighted. It's that smell I got the first time. I'll repost in a few days when I've had a few wearings. A 3ml of this would be good, 1 ml to be mixed, or perhaps diluted. The next few days will be olfactory ones, and I'm avidly looking forward to it!

Last edited by illmOnk; 27th February 2009 at 02:29 PM.

Just received my 1ml DSuper Kalimantan for ham_firl. Thank you Igor, just what I was looking for. Initial impressions, I'm delighted. It's that smell I got the first time. I'll repost in a few days when I've had a few wearings. A 3ml of this would be good, 1 ml to be mixed, or perhaps diluted. The next few days will be olfactory ones, and I'm avidly looking forward to it!
    Agreed. It's a real good oil for that price. Gonna buy me some more too.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

I have some Ham_firl Oud Royal that I am willing to part with - sell at a good price or trade. My taste has changed. I now like the more primal/animalistic varieties. If interested PM me.

funny i purchase this one as well about a month ago and love it as well! reminds me of Borneo 4000 from oriscent and Encre Noir

Page 21 of 42 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast