Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Default Re: Agarwood (oud) oil!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    I have a sample of it, and I like it, but it's not even close to being high quality oud. But like someone already said. Eden Botanicals is very honest and says straight up that it's not good quality. But for the price, it smells really good mixed with sandalwood oil.

It's very barnyard and smells close to Indian distilled oud. After a while (30+ minutes) it turns very sweet on my skin. And only the TINIEST little bit is needed... 1/16th of a drop will cover both of my arms with scent.
    I agree that Eden Botanicals are scrupulously honest. I've bought many essential oils from them and I've never had cause to complain. I particularly like their Vanuatu sandalwood which I find intensely rich and smoky. I'd rather have pure Vanuatu oil than what passes as "pure" Mysore or Tamil Nadu any day.

As far as their CO2 oud, I'm not a big fan. Admittedly, I haven't purchased any for over 2 yrs, so their current stock may be different, but I found the odour somewhat offensive, and that's saying something because I love the "barnyard" scents of Indochinese ouds.

Quote Originally Posted by Diverdown View Post
    Where do you get your amber and rose from?
    I wouldn't use expensive oud to blend with other essential oils, unless you have money to burn. Besides which, a truly great oud doesn't require any accompanying scents, IMHO.

Traditional Indian oud attar is simply a blend of oud and sandalwood, without amber or rose. If you blend with sandalwood oil, then I'd try it only with 'Indochinese' ouds (Indian, Cambodian, Laos etc), but that's only my opinion.

If you're asking because you haven't tried it, I encourage you to order a sample. Their oud samples are extremely tiny (about a drop, IIRC), but the oil is so potent that this is more than enough for testing on your hand or on a fragrance strip
    Thanks. I have a gram of the Eden Botanicals material but hadn't any idea how it might compare with other oud. I will have to try working with it in a composition.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

On second thought the only time oudh had a kind of ineffable psychedelic effect on me was when I put a tiny bit of Oriscents Royal in my nose (both nostrils)..Yes that is one more way of using oudh, but as a disclaimer only in small quantities and with the REAL thing!

anyone tried this one:

http://www.oudh.co.uk/Dehn-Al-Oudh-Cambodi.htm

or any other oils from them?

It says its from 1975, so maybe it's the same as Ham Firls?
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

Quote Originally Posted by Domingo View Post
    It says its from 1975, so maybe it's the same as Ham Firls?
    You never know - stranger things have happened .

Besides which, you're paying almost $30 for the crystal bottle with that particular oud, which is a joke. Oriscent started doing the same last year with their more expensive oils, and I find it annoying. Who gives a rat's rear end if the oil comes in a $1 bottle, as long as what's inside the bottle is quality.

I guess they think they have to justify the stratospheric prices they're charging for their oils by selling them in expensive packaging. The Gulf Arabs are the masters of that "art". Try opening a lined, decorated, hardwood box, only to find a bottle in the shape of a mosque, and then having to twist the "dome" off to sample the oil housed inside.
    Last edited by Abdul_Qa'im; 15th May 2008 at 06:10 AM.

Thumbs up Re: Agarwood (oud) oil!

Quote Originally Posted by Abdul_Qa'im View Post
    Who gives a rat's rear end if the oil comes in a $1 bottle, as long as what's inside the bottle is quality.
    You've got that right!
    I have read in Plato and Cicero sayings that are wise and very beautiful; but I have never read in either of them: Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden.'' --Saint Augustine

“Hastiness and superficiality are the psychic diseases of the twentieth century, and more than anywhere else this disease is reflected in the press.”--Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Well then I wonder why there is a section on the forums devoted to bottles??

Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    Well then I wonder why there is a section on the forums devoted to bottles??
    I doubt they are discussing rare oud bottles. Although I haven't visited it, I suspect it's more likely that the forum is devoted to the discussion of rare and collectable perfume bottles (by that I mean eau de parfum etc).

I've yet to hear of anyone collecting rare agarwood oil bottles. Besides which, although expensive, those crystal oud bottles are being churned out by the thousands every day in factories across China ...
    Last edited by Abdul_Qa'im; 15th May 2008 at 08:11 AM.

For sure an astute buyer wouldn't care about how exquisite the bottle looks. However I think there are alot of ppol who get swept by how the packaging looks, regardless of whether its an oudh bottle or a breakfast cereal box, or a computer case...Why do companies churn up millions of dollars trying to put their products in appealing packages? It obviously affects customer's buying choices..According to food studies people unwittingly rate food as tastier or distasteful depending on how they perceive it (color, texture etc)...Visual perception has an significant effect on peoples tastes... I don't think it a big stretch that it would effect another human sense i.e. smell.

Infact that reminds me.. I participated in a study on smell at my university. What they were doing was making ppol smell off a bottle after looking at a label on it.. So you would start cringing when you'd see feces or vomit on the label before smelling it and then you would rate it.. I'm sure that anybody not reading the labels wouldn't have found the 2 aforementioned scents as unbearable had they not read any labels, cause they weren't really feces or vomit lol.

I guess I'm stating the obvious but I wonder how many of us have our smell perceptions altered or tailored just by the very labels on the bottles beings sold..Stuff like Musc Ravageur, Aoud lime, Vetiver extraordinaire, Royal English Leather etc...

I recently purchased quality aud samples available from Oriscent:
    http://www.oriscent.com/product/oud-sampler/128.

I was so pleased with the incredible oud that I purchased some full bottles.

The four oud samples have been used only once each and I would be willing to trade the sample set if anyone is interested (I have some other fragrances available as well).

I am looking for fragrances from:

Black Aoud - Montale
    Tom Ford Black Orchid
    Muschio Oro - Gold Musk
    L'air du désert marocain
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Millesime Imperial
    Creed Silver Mountain Water

Please PM if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Diverdown View Post
    I recently purchased quality aud samples available from Oriscent:
    http://www.oriscent.com/product/oud-sampler/128.

I was so pleased with the incredible oud that I purchased some full bottles.
    Which ones did you buy? They ARE great, aren't they?

Which ones did you buy? They ARE great, aren't they?
    I ended up getting:

Borneo 3000 (Full bottle)
    Kyara LTD
    Oud Royale
    Oud Shuyukh

They are fantastic and the sampler was an excellent introduction into the world of oud.

Good choices! I adore the Borneo3000 and lately came to love the Kyara LTD too. It's much better now than it was a year ago (thanks for pointing that out, Taz!).

The other two are more of an acquired taste, I think, good stuff nonetheless. Enjoy them!

One thing though, I think you have been spoiled for life now, because I don't think you will find better quality ouds than this.

Yes the Kyara was distilled in 2005 I believe, so it has some ways to go. I find it has settled down a little...It's sweeter now compared to the spicy start I found it had last summer. Though I am not sure if there really is a change...These oils smell different outdoors, different indoors.. Different in different weather...Infact the first time I smelt oudh is an experience I cherish and long to recreate the transformed smell I sniffed about 15 mins after applying it... Never got that same wondorously amazing aroma...Would that I had gone back to the same shop! It was a long time ago though.. Perhaps they had genuine stuff on the markets back then.

P.S. For all you first timers a word of advice with 'good' oudh. Savour every moment of it and sear the scent in to your olfactory subconcious, cause your never getting the same smell again.
    Last edited by Taz; 15th May 2008 at 10:21 PM.

For sure an astute buyer wouldn't care about how exquisite the bottle looks. However I think there are alot of ppol who get swept by how the packaging looks, regardless of whether its an oudh bottle or a breakfast cereal box, or a computer case...Why do companies churn up millions of dollars trying to put their products in appealing packages? It obviously affects customer's buying choices..According to food studies people unwittingly rate food as tastier or distasteful depending on how they perceive it (color, texture etc)...Visual perception has an significant effect on peoples tastes... I don't think it a big stretch that it would effect another human sense i.e. smell.

Infact that reminds me.. I participated in a study on smell at my university. What they were doing was making ppol smell off a bottle after looking at a label on it.. So you would start cringing when you'd see feces or vomit on the label before smelling it and then you would rate it.. I'm sure that anybody not reading the labels wouldn't have found the 2 aforementioned scents as unbearable had they not read any labels, cause they weren't really feces or vomit lol.

I guess I'm stating the obvious but I wonder how many of us have our smell perceptions altered or tailored just by the very labels on the bottles beings sold..Stuff like Musc Ravageur, Aoud lime, Vetiver extraordinaire, Royal English Leather etc...

You make some good points. I suspect that's why Oriscent and so many other oud sellers are so florid in their descriptions of their oils. Sometimes I wonder if top quality agarwood wasn't such a rare commodity and was worth a fraction of it's current price, would as many ppl go nuts over it? Who knows, but I must say that oud was an acquired taste for my Western olfactory senses. Whether the romantic, mysterious backstory affected my perceptions or not I can't conclusively say, but now I'm hooked!

<<This strange news to me; until now I have only heard positive reports about Ham Firl and his products. I've actually been pondering buying from him, to expand my experience with oud.>>

Dear Xplo,

I've purchased from Ham_firl quite a few times. The fact is, he does carry some good oils and has a wide range of ouds. However, his customer service is unreliable. Some of his products are excellent, some are terrible, and his recommendations (when you can get a reply from him) aren't of much help. After a particularly bad purchase from him I wrote him a lengthy letter advocating that he should sell samples. A 70 dollar and up investment just to sample an oil seemed to be unreasonable! Now he does offer samples (1 ml.) amounts of most of his ouds. I've tried some which are good or at least acceptible. I've received a high recommendation on one which he carries currently but it is $150.00, so I'm hoping to find someone who would like to purchase and sell samples.

Ambressence also sells widely on ebay. Sharif, who operates Ambressence has much better customer service. He's sent me many samples,though it has been some time since I've been in touch with him. He carried (and may again carry) a Malaysian oil which was both reasonable ($80) and delightful. I still have a little of it left. It is the sweetest oud I've ever sampled. So much so that at first I suspected it of adulteration, but after a little sampling and acquaintance, I found that it was, indeed genuine. The sweetness is of an oud character and is seemlessly part of the overall oud fragrance. I've found Malaysian oils generally are amongst the sweetest ouds. This oil is one which even those who are not acquainted with oud would enjoy. Also, it would be an oud which a woman could wear. It is very alluring. On the whole, I've liked about 1 in 8 of the samples Sharif has so generously supplied me. If I had had to purchase each sample from Ham_firl it would have cost me a fortune before I found the Malaysian oil! I can accept that nearly all ouds are adulterated, but as long as the adulteration is only by addition of a carrier oil, I can live with it. When other fragrance materials are added, especially synthetics, then it is spoiled as far as I am concerned. Dorian

It seems as though it is almost pointless to seek out real, good quality oud; I gather that nearly all of it is adulterated, and the only assurance anyone has of purity and quality is the worthless word of a dishonest seller, assuring you that their increasingly outrageous prices reflect their products and not their greed.[/QUOTE]

<<My Oriscents were gotten about a year ago - I have a bottle of Borneo 3000 and Royal Oud. Of course this stuff seems to last forever and is very potent. Both of these ouds are excellent, but the Borneo 3000 is my favorite. I think they may be out of the B3000 now?- Not sure of this. It has a slight floral green drift that mixes with the oud oil - it is truly a transcendent fragrance experience. The Royal oud is a little more serious and not quite as accessible.>>

About a year ago I received two versions of Oriscent's Oud Royale. I believe that what he is selling now is a subsequent distillatiion from his original Oud Royale. I had purchased a sample of the first variety. I had never experienced any oud like it and it took me some time to get acquainted with it. It was very rich and complex. The newer version is also nice, and in some ways similar to the original version, but not nearly as rich, powerful or complex. I didn't care a great deal for the Borneo3000, surprisingly enough. It is a light smelling oil, but surprisingly tenacious. I like its fragrance after about an hour. Dorian

Hi Diverdown,

I have some feedback which I'd like to offer. I purchased a sample of Ham_furl's Burmese oil. I recommend that you pass on this one. It's a total waste of money. If you'd like a sample, please let me know, though I can tell you in advance you won't care for it. This is supposed to be a CO2 extraction (not a distillation).

Re/ Oriscent's Borneo3000: Some like it, others are not so impressed by it. I'm in the latter category. I've smelled many ouds far more to my liking at much less expensive prices.

Oils I would suggest:

Ibrahim from UNS sent me a few samples of his oils some time ago. The best was his Borneo, which I found very appealing and really a superb example of oud from this region.
    I think most people would like this fragrance, even those who are not otherwise attracted to oud. I see he now sells an even higher quality Borneo oil for a bit more, but I am perfectly satisfied with his original Borneo. I recommend writing to him. He's very helpful and I'm sure he'll be happy to sell you a sample or perhaps several. I always recommend sampling before purchase. It simply costs too much to purchase something which you might not care for. Ibrahim is an American, now living in Jordan, but he has a place in Arizona where he ships from.

Another oil which I have not yet tried myself, but which has been highly recommended by someone who has a lot of experience is Ham_firl's vintage Laotian oil. It is supposed to date from the 1970's, though I don't know how much faith you can put into these claims. The proof of the pudding is in the fragrance and this one is supposed to be unique very pleasing. I'm interested in sampling this oil myself. If anyone does purchase it, I'd love to exchange samples.

Oriscent's ouds are generally of good quality, but you pay a considerable premium for them.

Dorian

I am interested in purchasing some oud and would like some feedback regarding the following products:

Oriscent - Borneo 3000
    http://www.oriscent.com/product/borneo-3000/142

Ham Firl
    http://www.qt-store.com

Pure and sweet Aloeswood/Agarwood/Oud Burmese oil (I believe this would be the closest to Borneo 3000 in characteristics).

Pure Aloeswood/Agarwood/Oud Royal Brunei oil
    Pure Dark&Rich Aloeswood/Agarwood/Oud Royal oil
    Pure Royal Cambodia OUD Aloeswood / Agarwood oil

Also, how do they compare to the:

Vintage 1980 Burmese OUD Aloeswood/Agarwood oil
    Vintage1970 Indian Assam OUD Aloeswood/Agarwood oil

I believe from what I have read that the Borneo 3000 at $485 is a superior oud but would like to hear about experiences from people in regards to the various other oud's listed ranging in price up to $180. There is a substantial price difference and I was wondering if the cost difference truly justifies this if a comparable product can be obtained for a better price.

Many thanks.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've found some of Ham_Firl's oils to be both the nicest and the worst I've come across. However, if you get the right ones, you'll find real value for money. I'd take the dates for his vintage stuff with a grain of salt. Then again, personally, I couldn't care less whether the oil was distilled in 1975 or 2005 as long as the quality is there.

I've been thinking of trying one of UNS's ouds. Sounds like the Borneo oils might be tempting . Has anyone tried their Cambodian and Iriyan Jaya ouds ?

Who/what is UNS? Never heard of them (I think). Thank you.

Who/what is UNS? Never heard of them (I think). Thank you.
    http://unsfinecrafts.com/shop/index....=index&cPath=5
    Last edited by Abdul_Qa'im; 19th May 2008 at 07:52 AM.

<<Taz: anyone tried this one:
    or any other oils from them?>>

I haven't tried it. I was discouraged by their description of how they obtain their oudh:

"This Oudh is 100% pure A grade Indian Oudh direct from the continent of India,distilled the traditional way by boring a hole in the Agarwood tree and letting the Oudh flow out...."

They don't seem to understand 'distillation'. Further, they seem to be confusing oudh with maple syrup! It doesn't make for faith in their products. Dorian

Here's the link to their description: http://www.oudh.co.uk/Oudh_list.htm

Quote Originally Posted by DorianLS View Post

I haven't tried it. I was discouraged by their description of how they obtain their oudh:

"This Oudh is 100&#37; pure A grade Indian Oudh direct from the continent of India,distilled the traditional way by boring a hole in the Agarwood tree and letting the Oudh flow out...."

They don't seem to understand 'distillation'. Further, they seem to be confusing oudh with maple syrup! It doesn't make for faith in their products. Dorian

Yeah, I had good laugh when I first came across their website a couple of years ago . I guess there's not much need for distillation when the oud flows out of its own accord. No need to cut the tree down either. That's sustainable harvesting for you !
    Last edited by Abdul_Qa'im; 19th May 2008 at 09:02 AM.

Hi. due to the earthquarke in China, Oh I have been busy with my office participation in rescue work.

Yes I agree, ham_firl customer service is, my word just lousy but I love his oil. I buy Oud from many throughout the world and resell them in places where I work. I make a lot of money from ham_firl oil. People just love it. Recentl I came across an American who was here and he has a Chinese Oud that he bought from a well known company in the Internet. When I smell it, it has a barnyard smell and a cowshit smell. Thats a mixture with Civet cat musk that most people do not know.

"This Oudh is 100&#37; pure A grade Indian Oudh direct from the continent of India,distilled the traditional way by boring a hole in the Agarwood tree and letting the Oudh flow out...."

Hey thanks for pointing that out... That would settle it, except that they are only selling what they get from this company:

http://www.oudhalanfar.com/eng_prod_perfume.html

So it's not really their product and their ignorant descriptions for one item bears no reflection on one of their supplier's oudh. That being said I recall agarscents having 'distilled' written down for one of their musks...If I saw something like that now I would mark it down as a fake immediately, but I am glad I bought it back then.
    Last edited by Taz; 19th May 2008 at 09:54 AM.

Is agarwood making a comeback in mainstream perfumery? AFter M7, I thought it was dead and buried (no pun intended). But with Juicy Couture's Dirty English having it and the new Versace Homme features it too. Bring back that strange wood to the masses. And let it flounder like M7 so I can pick it up at bargain prices!
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

This has been an amazing thread and I appreciate all of the info passed along. Thanks to all.
    I'm still left hanging though. My interest in oud is growing and I would really like to start sampling/purchasing various ouds. I feel like I'm left with only Oriscent as a totally reputable supplier.
    ham_firl seems to have some nice things but opinions really vary. When I look at the other sites, I'm left really wondering if they are all just off shoots selling the same products and in fact, do some really just get their products from ham_firl and re-sell? I mean no disrespect to anyone and I am open to learning.
    The real dilemma is; at what $cost$ does learning about oud come? My inclination is either to order the Oriscent sampler or be done with it and just pop for the Oriscent Archipelago which seems to my liking and will not kill me price wise. ???
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    This has been an amazing thread and I appreciate all of the info passed along. Thanks to all.
    I'm still left hanging though. My interest in oud is growing and I would really like to start sampling/purchasing various ouds. I feel like I'm left with only Oriscent as a totally reputable supplier.
    ham_firl seems to have some nice things but opinions really vary. When I look at the other sites, I'm left really wondering if they are all just off shoots selling the same products and in fact, do some really just get their products from ham_firl and re-sell? I mean no disrespect to anyone and I am open to learning.
    The real dilemma is; at what $cost$ does learning about oud come? My inclination is either to order the Oriscent sampler or be done with it and just pop for the Oriscent Archipelago which seems to my liking and will not kill me price wise. ???
    Thanks.
    I'm afraid that gaining experience with oud will be an expensive pastime. You simply cannot get around that fact, I'm afraid. Oriscent is a reputable seller, to be sure, so it's definitely a good place to start. I think you'd enjoy their Green Papua, which was their cheapest offering, but it appears as if it has recently disappeared from their site, along with a couple of other oils. Archipelago is also a very nice oud, so you may want to try that. Borneo 3000 is a great oil, but the price is prohibitive for most.

Despite what some may say, Ham Firl does sell some good oils, but he sells some crap too. Generally speaking, I've found his 'DS' or 'Double Super' ouds to be very nice and great value for money. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time with the $40 stuff like the Kua Kong because it's very raw and leathery, AFAIC, which is something you'll often find with lower quality oils. The oils of his I've personally tried and enjoyed are the 'Royal' (DS Borneo), Royal (DS) Cambodian, DS Indian, DS Kalimantan, DS Iriyan Jaya, and DS Malaysian. Stock of any particular batch is finite so what he may have now may not be the same stuff I purchased.

Bear in mind also, that oud is an "acquired" taste for most Westerners. Indochinese ouds, in particular, can have what some describe as a fecal undertone. I've personally come to love it, but some find it downright offensive. You'd probably be best off sticking at first to an Indonesian or Malaysian oud, if I were you, as they are more floral.
    Last edited by Abdul_Qa'im; 20th May 2008 at 05:43 AM.

Thanks.Too bad they don't sell samples.

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    Thanks.
    I would recommend the Oriscent sampler. It gives you the opportunity to sample four different types of oud and a more diverse oud experience. Purchasing one large sample / bottle blind can be an expensive proposition if you subsequently discover that you don't like your selection. Oud is very diverse in the experience it offers based on the various characteristics of various products and a sampler is an inexpensive way to discover oud.

I ordered the sampler from Oriscent and was very happy I did.

If cost is an issue, I am looking to trade / sell the sample set (it has been used 2x per each vial). Each vial is probably good for 1-2 weeks of sampling (you only use one drop split on both wrists).

I have purchased full bottles of oud and no longer require the sample set.

Please note that each sample is only .3ml (so only filled 1/3 of the way) when received new. It doesn't seem like much but it lasts all day with a tiny drop.

Best Regards.

Does anyone know if Unsfinecrafts is out of business.

I was looking to obtain some samples and their site does not appear operational.

Many Thanks.

The site is working for me and I was able to get in touch with them recently.

http://unsfinecrafts.com/shop/

I recently tried the cambodia fakir sold at Thaiarcade (link below):

The oil itself is dark reddish brown with a blood like consistency, not too viscous..On first application it has a mild smell of leather, somewhat medicinal. After a few minutes there is a subtle change as it acquires a soft woody sweetness still retaining in the background its leathery and medicinal notes. Overall a mediocre grade, not something that would wow first time users but not harsh as some oils are and a decent representation of the cambodi type.

The service was good. The seller expected it to take 14-20 days. The item got here i.e. from Thailand to Canada in 11.

http://stores.ebay.com/ThaiArcade_Ag...QQftidZ2QQtZkm
    Last edited by Taz; 27th May 2008 at 05:18 PM.

I recently tried the cambodia fakir sold at Thaiarcade (link below):

The oil itself is dark reddish brown with a blood like consistency, not too viscous..On first application it has a mild smell of leather, somewhat medicinal. After a few minutes there is a subtle change as it acquires a soft woody sweetness still retaining in the background its leathery and medicinal notes. Overall a mediocre grade, not something that would wow first time users but not harsh as some oils are and a decent representation of the cambodi type.

The service was good. The seller expected it to take 14-20 days. The item got here i.e. from Thailand to Canada in 11.

http://stores.ebay.com/ThaiArcade_Ag...QQftidZ2QQtZkm
    Yeah I've tried the oud you are referring to. As you said, it's OK, but not worthy of the "Fakir" appellation (anyway, it should actually be "Faakhir" which in this context would probably mean "Glorious"). Personally, I didn't detect any leathery notes at all, but olfactory perceptions are as varied as there are people on this earth. The medicinal smell you refer to is, I think, not uncommon in some Cambodian agarwood plantation oils. The wood this oud came from was almost certainly quite young. That said, I didn't detect the harsh notes that sometimes accompany lower grade oils.

My major criticism of this particular oud is the intensity of the scent dips dramatically after initial application. It does have a certain tenacity, but it's very mild. I have about 27 ouds in my collection at the moment, and some of them are so persistent that even after 24 hours and a couple of showers later, the scent is still distinctly perceptible. This oil would definitely not fall into that category, but all in all it's not too bad.

Dear Manuel
    We are happy for our costumer feedback as you.
    And we will always try to provide pure & unique quality to our buyer.
    We are also invite others great person for discussion about it, who interested in pure quality of Assam Agarwood oil
    Thanks

Essentialoilscompany.com
    info@essentialoilscompany.com

Dear Manuel
    We feel grateful for our costumer positive feedback.
    And we are always trying to provide pure & Natural products to our customers in best rates.
    Our aim is not profit but make a worldwide market of RK (Our Company)
    We also invite suggestion of great customers for invent best products in the worlds.
    Thanks

Essential Oils Company
    Email: info@essentialoilscompany.com
    Ph: +91 9936 624238
    Fax: +91 5694 237623

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
    OK
    Here’s the e-bay store link where you can find the Cambodian agarwood oils:
    http://stores.ebay.com/ThaiArcade_W0...Q3amesstQQtZkm

The trippy thing about this e-bay store is that the oud is kinda sold as an afterthought. You’ll see the categories: t-shirts, dresses & tops, metal polish, agarwood oil…(?)
    Go for the Cambodia Fakir and Cambodia Moattaq – you won’t be disappointed.

For the distiller in India e-mail: info@essentialoilscompany.com
    Just introduce yourself and tell them you’d like to purchase 1 tola (12ml) of their ‘Double Super Grade Agarwood oil’ and that you want to pay via PayPal.
    1 tola is their minimum order and it should run about $130 + shipping. That’s very reasonable pricing! Their oil falls somewhere between Oriscent’s ‘Organic Assam’ and ‘Oud Sulaiman’. It doesn’t have quite the extreme punch-in-the-face that the ‘Sulaiman’ delivers, but is tamed with a creamy background. If you’re at all familiar with the ouds offered by Agarscents Bazaar, I’d say it’s almost a direct match to their ‘Hindi #2’ oil.

I can imagine that 1 part of ham-firl’s ‘double super Assam' + 2 parts of this Indian distiller’s ‘double super’ oil would equal a good mock version of Oriscent’s ‘Oud Sulaiman’. Hmmmmmm…
    My pocketbook deters me from experimenting with my oils in this way! I just treat them all as individual treasures –they’re each perfect in their own way.

-Salaam

This is a great thread... thanks to all of you for the great info! someone asked this question already, but i haven't seen any answer yet (unless I missed it): Has anyone tried the oils from www.unsfinecrafts.com? I've been thinking about their East Borneo Select and also their Papua, but I'd feel more comfortable if anyone our there has some feedback on those to share.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalimba View Post
    This is a great thread... thanks to all of you for the great info! someone asked this question already, but i haven't seen any answer yet (unless I missed it): Has anyone tried the oils from www.unsfinecrafts.com? I've been thinking about their East Borneo Select and also their Papua, but I'd feel more comfortable if anyone our there has some feedback on those to share.
    I'll be getting some of their oudh...Will let you know when I do.

I tried some of Sharif's cambodi classic today.. one word to sum it up ..WOW!! I tried a sample a month or so ago and I knew then I had to have it...Have not come across a more appealing cambodi oudh...It has it's own unique fecal note, different from hindi and laotian stuff...It's not for those who'd prefer the floral Borneo, Indonesian types.. This one is pure leather, wood and spice..Its top and middle note trumps all others.. The tarty end is not too unique but it's quite tenacious. Lasted a good 6 hours on the skin and still going..

p.s The only oudh I've found with a killer dry down is Oriscent's Royal..
    Last edited by Taz; 5th June 2008 at 03:52 AM.

I'll be getting some of their oudh...Will let you know when I do.

I tried some of Sharif's cambodi classic today.. one word to sum it up ..WOW!!
    Sounds intriguing! What price did you pay?

The price that it's listed for right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CAMBODI-CLASSIC-...742.m153.l1262

To think that its cheaper than Oriscent's Assam organic... I would readily trade a Borneo 3000 or even a Sulaiman for it.

It's kind of overwhelming to the extent that it precludes frequent indulgence.

The price that it's listed for right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CAMBODI-CLASSIC-...742.m153.l1262

To think that its cheaper than Oriscent's Assam organic... I would readily trade a Borneo 3000 or even a Sulaiman for it.

It's kind of overwhelming to the extent that it precludes frequent indulgence.
    High praise indeed. My pocketbook is rather slim at the moment, but I may have to forgo a few meals in order to purchase this one.

Smile Re: Agarwood (oud) oil!

I wouldn't recommend any oil if that's the case since needs come before wants =)

I wouldn't recommend any oil if that's the case since needs come before wants =)
    Therein lies your mistake. You categorized Oud as a want, rather than a need .

lol..ok mistake admitted!!

My major criticism of this particular oud is the intensity of the scent dips dramatically after initial application. It does have a certain tenacity, but it's very mild. I have about 27 ouds in my collection at the moment, and some of them are so persistent that even after 24 hours and a couple of showers later, the scent is still distinctly perceptible. This oil would definitely not fall into that category, but all in all it's not too bad.
    wow is that for real? I don't have any that could withstand 2 showers.. 1 maybe but not 2.. I suppose if no soap is used that would be possible...The only ones I have found to last 24 hrs and maybe 1 shower (no soap) would be a couple of musks and Ajmal's oudh supreme and Oriscent's Royal.. Which ones have you? Can these be purchased for a sum that does not involve skipping multiple meals? : )

Tried some of UNS' Assam ultimate today...You will not find the in your face-unapologetic-indolic-fecality that you'd expect from Oriscent's Shuyukh or Sulmain.. Instead you will find a sweet suppressed barnyardy beginning nay not the yard itself, but consider the peasants to be in a majlis at the center of which burns wood in a mabkhara as they sip away at fine khaleeji tea.

The smell in the first hour reminded me of the smoke from the wood...Not the smokey smoke itself or the sour, spicy aroma that sets in but the sweet aloeswood type of India, that and of the bitter sweet tea being served...There is the bitter dimension which develops more later but early on it's indeed a deep woody choclaty smell as described by UNS. Infact in comparing it with Shuyukh or Sulaiman it seems that it's the same show but for the first 2 acts...The story of Assam Ultimate begins with its sweetness and midway theres the directors smooth cut which takes us to the end of the story of the other 2.

One thing I don't get is why there are these 2 types from the same origin (Assam): The very fecal (Shuyukh) and the sweet n spicy subdued fecal (any high end hindi moattaq).

What is it that accounts for the difference:
    1. Different wood 2. Age of tree. 3. Oil Maturity 4. Distillation Type 5. Blends?

ring* ring* Calling all in house oudh experts..

The Ultimate is quite deep.. Not ocean like but certainly not any where near the shore line..The way I check for depth which is an entirely subjective and self concocted method unsanctioned by any authority, devoid of hard proof for its validity, having as its sole justification the saving grace of reliability based on empirical evidence and personal conviction is by, pulling the scent close under the nose and taking a deeeeeeep breath with the aim of diving down all the way to the murky depth, the root, the base of the smell...If what you find after taking the plunge is a mono-note, swiftly identified sans difficult&#233;, easily grappled, you have arrived at the shallow end. If however you sniff hard persistently never quite seeing the bottom, sensing it evading your grasp, requiring a tremendous effort, feeling unequal to the task of grappling it and finally after exhausting all ability to inhale experiencing not a mono-note but a rich and complex dig, then you have arrived at the deep end of the pool.

This one took a modest effort to get there and what was found was a pleasant mono-note redolent of a shuyukh or suliaman which the sweet, choclaty, burning wood beginning transforms gracefully in to.

Finally, what really matters at the end of the day...Is it worth it? Yes and No...Theres always the yes if you have cash burning holes in your pockets. For me it would have been a yes had I not already something similar in my box. So its a personal no, but judging from the market price of similar creations it's a fair buy with no regrets.

*** Tried this again today...It improved on further acquaintance..The burning Indian agarwood smell is irresistably prominent early on.

http://unsfinecrafts.com/shop/index....products_id=93
    Last edited by Taz; 15th June 2008 at 05:51 PM.

One thing I don't get is why there are these 2 types from the same origin (Assam): The very fecal (Shuyukh) and the sweet n spicy subdued fecal (any high end hindi moattaq).

What is it that accounts for the difference:
    1. Different wood 2. Age of tree. 3. Oil Maturity 4. Distillation Type 5. Blends?

ring* ring* Calling all in house oudh experts..
    The answer is number one.

The Shuyukh is distilled only from wild-harvested agarwood trees. But the Organic oil is distilled from cultivated agarwood trees.

Cool Re: Agarwood (oud) oil!

The Ultimate is quite deep.. Not ocean like but certainly not any where near the shore line..The way I check for depth which is an entirely subjective and self concocted method unsanctioned by any authority, devoid of hard proof for its validity, having as its sole justification the saving grace of reliability based on empirical evidence and personal conviction is by, pulling the scent close under the nose and taking a deeeeeeep breath with the aim of diving down all the way to the murky depth, the root, the base of the smell...If what you find after taking the plunge is a mono-note, swiftly identified sans difficulté, easily grappled, you have arrived at the shallow end. If however you sniff hard persistently never quite seeing the bottom, sensing it evading your grasp, requiring a tremendous effort, feeling unequal to the task of grappling it and finally after exhausting all ability to inhale experiencing not a mono-note but a rich and complex dig, then you have arrived at the deep end of the pool.
    Dude, you use a lot of words. But you're quite right. I use this same 'technique' to know if it's real also. Works great with Sandalwood too.

But anyway, I understand the UN ultimate is not your holy grail? Nah, keep searching, if money permits of course.

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post

The Shuyukh is distilled only from wild-harvested agarwood trees. But the Organic oil is distilled from cultivated agarwood trees.
    So the Oriscent Organic is the same as the UN Ultimate, is that what you're saying?

Blog Entries

where do they find wild-harvested agarwood trees in Assam now? It all seems like a marketing gimmick dealing with the infatuation with "purity" to the extent that smell takes the back burner compared to purity/natural process.

lol..ok mistake admitted!!

wow is that for real? I don't have any that could withstand 2 showers.. 1 maybe but not 2.. I suppose if no soap is used that would be possible...The only ones I have found to last 24 hrs and maybe 1 shower (no soap) would be a couple of musks and Ajmal's oudh supreme and Oriscent's Royal.. Which ones have you? Can these be purchased for a sum that does not involve skipping multiple meals? : )
    I said "perceptible" , and I do use unscented soap. Besides which, I don't soap down my wrists if I'm wearing Oud .

There is one Iriyan Jaya oil which I purchased from an Indonesian dealer in Jakarta which is particularly tenacious. I paid for it in Rupiah, so I can't quite remember how much that would've been in USD, but I think it was probably about $100 for a 1/4 tola. The scent is spicy and reminds me somewhat of burning agarwood. Definitely not in the same league as Borneo 3000 or Royale, but it is really persistent.
    Last edited by Abdul_Qa'im; 7th June 2008 at 05:59 AM.

Btw, how come some ouds smell like burning wood, others like they are only softly smoldering and some don't even smell like smoke at all! Is this caused by the used distilling methods? Or is it something that's already present in the wood itself?

I find this one of the most amazing aspects of oud oils, this variety in smokiness.

Quote Originally Posted by mudassir View Post
    where do they find wild-harvested agarwood trees in Assam now? It all seems like a marketing gimmick dealing with the infatuation with "purity" to the extent that smell takes the back burner compared to purity/natural process.
    I think you might find the wild agarwood trees that Oriscent refers to are sourced from across the Assam border in Bhutan, and are thus not technically Indian. Of course, man-made borders are irrelevant to plants and animals, so a Bhutanese border agarwood tree and an Assami tree would most likely be, for all intents and purposes, the same. AFAIK, there are possibly a small number of wild trees in some isolated valleys of Assam state, but they would be exceedingly rare.

If there's anything about Indian or Cambodian agarwood oil that bothers me its the tangy tarty remnant on the skin which I can detect as the dying notes of the once opulent smell...The opening and the midway offering is what I enjoy most...I'm not big on floral indonesian oudhs but if theres something I
    like about them its how they end. It's also tangy but in a good way...

It's the same affair with this UNS Borneo I just tried...On first sniff the nose involuntarily searches for similarity...It's the same with vision. Try walking around without your spects. When you see the blurry outline of some one's face from a distance you quite often involuntarily & instantaneously perceive a familiar face preceding discovery of a perfect stranger as the features sharpen approaching viewing distance.

In this case my nose echoed kyara, yes...more... kyara. The sweet floral ethereal airlike quality of Oriscent's Kyara in this. An Uncanny similarity...A little while later the terpentinte notes of indonesian florals kicked in and thats when Borneo 3000 came to mind and I could still smell it after a few hours...You could say that the smell of this UNS Borneo unique in itself is a combination of Kyara (it's current smell , not that of last year) and Borneo 3000, except it has a milder intensity which makes it more tolerable for me especially since the 3000 gives me too much of the turpentine..6 hrs in to it and the turp had faded and what was left was the very appealing sweet woody drydown of Borneo agarwood.

To buy or not to buy? This would be an awesome variation for those who love and cherish the borneo 3000 and kyara at approximately half the price. Actually a boon since Kyara is sold out.

http://unsfinecrafts.com/shop/index....products_id=89
    Last edited by Taz; 15th June 2008 at 05:53 PM.

Ambressence also sells widely on ebay. Sharif, who operates Ambressence has much better customer service. He's sent me many samples,though it has been some time since I've been in touch with him. He carried (and may again carry) a Malaysian oil which was both reasonable ($80) and delightful. I still have a little of it left. It is the sweetest oud I've ever sampled. So much so that at first I suspected it of adulteration, but after a little sampling and acquaintance, I found that it was, indeed genuine. The sweetness is of an oud character and is seemlessly part of the overall oud fragrance. I've found Malaysian oils generally are amongst the sweetest ouds. This oil is one which even those who are not acquainted with oud would enjoy. Also, it would be an oud which a woman could wear. It is very alluring.
    I think what you were referring to is what he just recently listed as Malaysian Brown selling at $85 and your description seems very apt! It's gorgeous!! I didn't give it too much attention being too engrossed in the combodi classic but from what I remember it had the sort of perfect mild sweetness one could desire. No overkill and the really surprising thing was the twist in the end...I was kind of baffled..Seems crazy but it reminded me of le labo rose 31. I have to go back to it!!! couldn't possibly have been that.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MALAYSIAN-BROWN-...742.m153.l1262
    Last edited by Taz; 7th June 2008 at 08:59 AM.

That sounds plausible! Though Oriscent's Assam organic is a far cry from the the hindi moattaq's I had in mind. Theres one I have from an old seller in India whom I was told is a very reputable and honest person. It's claimed to be from 50 yr old wild agarwood and has the most natural fecal note I have ever experienced in any oudh and also the greatest sillage. The smell reeks from the little sample...It's crude! It's comparable to the sulaiman but a rougher version.

Domingo to answer your question, Oriscent's organic is very different from UNS' Assam Ultimate...The ultimate is not my holy grail indeed...For now it's the combodi classic =) but I always find something wanting and I think part of the blame is to be shared by all the romantic literature I've read about 'real' oudh...I have some grounds to believe the search is not in vain such as Christopher's (from white lotus aromatics) account of Dr Maheswari's oil which ceased to exist some years ago but my hope still lives =)

Quote Originally Posted by mudassir View Post
    Mudassir, how you doin? =)

What do you think accounts for the distinct variation in the same source?
    Last edited by Taz; 7th June 2008 at 08:47 AM.

I said "perceptible" , and I do use unscented soap. Besides which, I don't soap down my wrists if I'm wearing Oud .
    [/U][/COLOR] persistent.
    Ahh I see now! Omne ignotum pro magnifico.

What do you think accounts for the distinct variation in the same source?
    Soil, minerals, etc. Essentially the same things as what make grapes different from the other and thus the wine that's been made of them.

Another thing with agarwood is probably the strength of the immune system of the tree. The stronger/healthier this is, the harder and longer it will fight against the fungus infection which of course will produce all kinds of hormonal changes. And this is also something you will find in the resulting oils. But that doesn't explain the smoke/no smoke phenomenon to me, I believe this comes for a good part from how it's been distilled. But I could be wrong on this...
    Last edited by Domingo; 7th June 2008 at 09:03 AM.