Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1

    Default Red Aoud w/o the box??

    I'm happy to say my bottle of Red Aoud arrived today. It didn't take a month after all. I'm going to wait until later and after a shower to give it a first try. Although i did spray some on a piece of paper. It seems very complex -- i think i detect a distinct chocolate note buried in there. It may be somewhat premature saying this, but i could see this becoming a favorite of mine.

    Now on to the small rant. It was shipped in a padded envelope with no additional peanuts, foam, paper etc. added. And the bottle (its a gorgeous maroon red) came in their signature (also red) drawstring bag, but with no box. The same way their 20ml bottles come. Because of this there are two obvious dents in the bottle.

    For those of you who own RA, did yours come with a box? I wonder if it has something to do with me asking them to add extra perfume to the bottle. But i wouldn't think that would be a reason.

    Oh well. I guess the most important thing is the juice inside.

    But i have to admit, i love a nice looking bottle too..

  2. #2

    Thumbs up Re: Red Aoud w/o the box??

    Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
    I'm happy to say my bottle of Red Aoud arrived today. It didn't take a month after all. I'm going to wait until later and after a shower to give it a first try. Although i did spray some on a piece of paper. It seems very complex -- i think i detect a distinct chocolate note buried in there. It may be somewhat premature saying this, but i could see this becoming a favorite of mine.
    Please report back... I've been waiting to read an in-depth review of this frag. Would love to read your thoughts..
    Last edited by Quixotiq; 15th February 2008 at 08:05 PM.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Red Aoud w/o the box??

    So you ordered from their Paris store, right?

    Even tacky eBay sellers do a better job at packaging, then... Seems strange, considering how much you spend for a bottle of Montale.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Red Aoud w/o the box??

    When I order what I want from Montale i'll specify that I want a box Do the 20ml not come in a box because there isn't one?

  5. #5

    Default Re: Red Aoud w/o the box??

    Quote Originally Posted by Quixotiq View Post
    Please report back... I've been waiting to read an in-depth review of this frag. Would love to read your thoughts..
    I don't know if i'll write a review -- unlike many other members here, i am awful at describing fragrances. I wish i could write as well and be half as desciptive as they are.


    Yes, i ordered it directly from Montale in Paris.

    As far as i know there are no boxes for the 20ml bottles. And you can't buy them -- you get one (your choice) free when you order a 3.4 oz bottle from Paris. I'm not sure if it has to be from the Aoud line in order to get the free 20ml.

    I picked Vetiver des Sables by the way.
    Last edited by ajmc; 15th February 2008 at 08:41 PM.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Red Aoud w/o the box??

    Sorry to hear that your bottle was dented. I have ordered from the Paris store two times. The first shipment was in padded bag with bottles in boxes. The second shipment arrived in priority delivery box with bottle but no box. the gratuities only come in a bag. I'd give them a call and let them known that your botle was dented.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Red Aoud w/o the box??

    I ordered Red Aoud and Black Aoud 100ml bottles from Paris. The Black Aoud came boxed, the Red Aoud did not. That's just how it is...
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

  8. #8

    Default Re: Red Aoud w/o the box??

    Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
    I don't know if i'll write a review -- unlike many other members here, i am awful at describing fragrances. I wish i could write as well and be half as desciptive as they are.


    Yes, i ordered it directly from Montale in Paris.

    As far as i know there are no boxes for the 20ml bottles. And you can't buy them -- you get one (your choice) free when you order a 3.4 oz bottle from Paris. I'm not sure if it has to be from the Aoud line in order to get the free 20ml.

    I picked Vetiver des Sables by the way.
    I don't think it has to be from the Aoud line, and 2 x 50ml bottles will get you a 20ml bottle too, along with free shipping. Montale do know how to draw in the customers :P

  9. #9

    Default Re: Red Aoud w/o the box??

    Thanks for the warning. When I'm in Paris, next month, I'm going to make sure all my purchased bottles come in a box.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Red Aoud w/o the box??

    I'm really surprised more people aren't getting samples of Red Aoud. It's simply in the same class as Black Aoud. First class that is. Any one that loves Black Aoud must try Red Aoud IMO.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Red Aoud w/o the box??

    Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I'm really surprised more people aren't getting samples of Red Aoud. It's simply in the same class as Black Aoud. First class that is. Any one that loves Black Aoud must try Red Aoud IMO.
    I agree - more people should be trying this new one out. However, I still maintain that Red Aoud bears NO relation to Black Aoud. They're completely different animals and any comparisons are futile. Also, the statement that Red Aoud is a darker version of Black Aoud is complete and utter rubbish - Black Aoud is an archetypal oud fragrance while Red Aoud is a heavy gourmand with some oud thrown in. It's that simple...

  12. #12

    Default Re: Red Aoud w/o the box??

    Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    I agree - more people should be trying this new one out. However, I still maintain that Red Aoud bears NO relation to Black Aoud. They're completely different animals and any comparisons are futile. Also, the statement that Red Aoud is a darker version of Black Aoud is complete and utter rubbish - Black Aoud is an archetypal oud fragrance while Red Aoud is a heavy gourmand with some oud thrown in. It's that simple...

    I agree 100% . There is NO relation between Black and Red. Your description is correct. They should not be compared to each other scent wise, only that both are really nice and should be sampled.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Red Aoud w/o the box??

    Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    I agree - more people should be trying this new one out. However, I still maintain that Red Aoud bears NO relation to Black Aoud. They're completely different animals and any comparisons are futile. Also, the statement that Red Aoud is a darker version of Black Aoud is complete and utter rubbish - Black Aoud is an archetypal oud fragrance while Red Aoud is a heavy gourmand with some oud thrown in. It's that simple...
    I would third your description. It's right on the spot.
    I actually thought a more accurate name for Red Aoud would be "Reddish Brown Aoud," but in any case how can anything be darker than Black Aoud?

  14. #14

    Default Re: Red Aoud w/o the box??

    Quote Originally Posted by heythatslife View Post
    I would third your description. It's right on the spot.
    I actually thought a more accurate name for Red Aoud would be "Reddish Brown Aoud," but in any case how can anything be darker than Black Aoud?
    There actually is something, in the Montale Aoud line, that’s darker than Black Aoud, IMHO. It’s called Aoud Flowers.

    To me, Black Aoud encompasses a romantic perspective of the gothic aesthetic, with colour associations including light and pastel hues (apart from its name and the term ‘gothic’, I fail to find any further associations of the colour black with Black Aoud). It’s best described as being stuck in an empty well with the glimmering light reassuring you of being discovered, and only the swaying of the towering trees to keep you company. There’s an element of light in Black Aoud that provides hope, awakening you from the nightmares when they become unbearable.

    On the other hand, Aoud Flowers represents the pure gothic nature – the aspects of darkness and evil that most humans are unable (or unwillingly) to imagine. The rush of adrenalin, lust, fear and narcotics through the blood stream, the colour of congealed blood and dark murky browns are some associations that spring to mind, whenever I smell Aoud Flowers. Where Black Aoud is akin to being trapped in a well, Aoud Flowers is best described as being buried alive 6-feet under, in a steel coffin. Yes, there’s even a strong metallic accord in this baby…
    Last edited by Trebor; 26th March 2008 at 09:48 PM.

  15. #15

    Default Red Aoud

    Bzoinks! I just got a bottle of this (Red Aoud) that I got in trade - is anyone familliar with YSL Body Kouros? There's a really prominent note in both fragrances which they share, and it really grates against my olfactory nerves! It makes me think of Body Kouros in syrup form, but fried till it's burnt! It also reminds me of my ultimate least favourite Lutens - Bois de Vanille.

    Does anyone see these similarities?
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    CREED: Chevrefeuille, SMW, BdP, Aventus
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale
    YSL: Vintage M7

    CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread



  16. #16

    Default Re: Red Aoud

    Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    Bzoinks! I just got a bottle of this (Red Aoud) that I got in trade - is anyone familliar with YSL Body Kouros? There's a really prominent note in both fragrances which they share, and it really grates against my olfactory nerves! It makes me think of Body Kouros in syrup form, but fried till it's burnt! It also reminds me of my ultimate least favourite Lutens - Bois de Vanille.

    Does anyone see these similarities?
    That's it! I knew there was something else about Red Aoud that resulted in me rapidly disliking it. Like Body Kouros, I initially loved it and then, very quickly, grew tired of it. Red Aoud also reminds me of whatever was used to freshen the toilets of a particular Brazilian restaurant I once went to - yes, the Kouros curse strikes again! LOL!
    Last edited by Trebor; 26th March 2008 at 09:58 PM.

  17. #17

    Question Re: Red Aoud w/o the box??

    "...if it has something to do with me asking them to add extra perfume to the bottle."


    Can you tell me more about this? Is it the oud they increase only (by how much)? What exactly do you need to ask for?
    Thank you
    RM

  18. #18

    Default Re: Red Aoud w/o the box??

    Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    To me, Black Aoud encompasses a romantic perspective of the gothic aesthetic, with colour associations including light and pastel hues (apart from its name and the term ‘gothic’, I fail to find any further associations of the colour black with Black Aoud). It’s best described as being stuck in an empty well with the glimmering light reassuring you of being discovered, and only the swaying of the towering trees to keep you company. There’s an element of light in Black Aoud that provides hope, awakening you from the nightmares when they become unbearable.

    On the other hand, Aoud Flowers represents the pure gothic nature – the aspects of darkness and evil that most humans are unable (or unwillingly) to imagine. The rush of adrenalin, lust, fear and narcotics through the blood stream, the colour of congealed blood and dark murky browns are some associations that spring to mind, whenever I smell Aoud Flowers. Where Black Aoud is akin to being trapped in a well, Aoud Flowers is best described as being buried alive 6-feet under, in a steel coffin. Yes, there’s even a strong metallic accord in this baby…
    Can't agree with you more Trebor.

  19. #19
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East of The Mississippi
    Posts
    76,818

    Default Re: Red Aoud w/o the box??

    Quote Originally Posted by somethinpositiv View Post
    I ordered Red Aoud and Black Aoud 100ml bottles from Paris. The Black Aoud came boxed, the Red Aoud did not. That's just how it is...
    Not true, I ordered 3 100ml bottles from the Paris Store: Red Aoud, Golden Aoud, and Original Aoud and they all came boxed and sealed. perhaps I was just lucky.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Red Aoud w/o the box??

    Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    There actually is something, in the Montale Aoud line, that’s darker than Black Aoud, IMHO. It’s called Aoud Flowers.

    To me, Black Aoud encompasses a romantic perspective of the gothic aesthetic, with colour associations including light and pastel hues (apart from its name and the term ‘gothic’, I fail to find any further associations of the colour black with Black Aoud).
    I haven't tried Aoud Flowers yet, but this isn't how I see black Aoud at all! To me the colours evoked are definitely Black, and also dark purples, and reds. The Aoud with the Patchouli give it a prickly dark and "black" aspect, especially combined with the condensed rose molasses. It only lightens up to me later when the other notes recede leaving more rose, but still it's a dark and heavy rose.

    I don't see any pastels anywhere in this one!
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    That's it! I knew there was something else about Red Aoud that resulted in me rapidly disliking it. Like Body Kouros, I initially loved it and then, very quickly, grew tired of it. Red Aoud also reminds me of whatever was used to freshen the toilets of a particular Brazilian restaurant I once went to - yes, the Kouros curse strikes again! LOL!
    Do you know what that note is that they have in common?

    It's so strange because whereas that was *the* thing that stuck out at me the first times I tried it, now that's in the background and other aspects are more prominent, so that I like it alot better! It's got a really weird gourmand aspect, but not like a kind of candy or cake - more like a meal - the cumin gives a really weird taste in your mouth on top of the metallic Aoud and all the other stuff going on in there. It's kind of a big mess.

    I still can't figure out whether I like it or not, but am definitely intrigued and trying it over and over. Black Aoud and Aoud Cuir d'Arabie are still my favourite Montales with Full Jasmin.
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 27th March 2008 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    CREED: Chevrefeuille, SMW, BdP, Aventus
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale
    YSL: Vintage M7

    CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •