Code of Conduct

Default Creed Talk: Time for me to join in

All the creed talk around here has lead to me pulling out my samples. I am trying to decide between Imperiale and SMW. I love the both as they are fresh and clean but can only get one. Which do you recommend and why? Thank you.

Default Re: Creed Talk: Time for me to join in

MI because it is dirtier, masculine, and, hence, more interesting to my nose.

nobody wears Creed in France anymore, I didn 't even know they were still around.

Quote Originally Posted by Un Chant d 'Amour View Post
    nobody wears Creed in France anymore, I didn 't even know they were still around.
    Trust me when I say that kind of post will not make you popular around these parts.

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    Trust me when I say that kind of post will not make you popular around these parts.
    I didn 't know this was a Creed fan club

I didn 't know this was a Creed fan club
    Please stop hijacking the man's thread and be more considerate. If you do not have a Creed suggestion for the original poster, as he requests, why chime in with negativity?

Please stop hijacking the man's thread and be more considerate. If you do not have a Creed suggestion for the original poster, as he requests, why chime in with negativity?
    the french are straight-talkers...not used to conform or adher to what is regarded as negative criticism, sorry.

I would like to suggest you begin with MI. Here's why. I have found that not only is it excellent when worn alone, but it is wonderful when layered with other fragrances. I have not found the same versatility with SMW. Also, the lasting power of MI is greater for my chemistry than SMW. However, all observations are based on my own personal experiences with my chemistry. If possible, please experiment with samples of both on your own skin.
    I'll check my stash & see what I can find for you.
    Current Favorites: #5 edt, #19 edt & parfum - Chanel, FRACAS - Robert Piguet, A Taste of Heaven - By Killian, Apres L'Ondee- Guerlain, LUX & Carnation - Mona di Orio, Une Rose - Frederick Malle, Kiki - Vero Kern, Bois de Violette & Sarrasins - Serge Lutens

I once was a creed devotee. I have been known as of late to be tired of the hype. I am slowly making a come back but make no mistake, I would never deny the status, quality, and majesty that is Creed. No matter what my or anyone else's current thought is, basenotes does harbor a HUGE Creed following. I have been giving more attention to Montale, Lutens and Hermes lately but as usual, I always come back to creed. The quality and my attraction to it would be feutile to deny and resist. No matter what house you may adore, there is a Creed for everyone. Creed does not make a bad scent, its just a matter of matching one to your desires or preference. This is generally true for any house. In fact, this would make a great thread: "What house can you not find one fragrance to love in?". Hmmnn, I would probably have to say Armani for one and if I though about it, I would probably say Hugo as well. Anyway, the point is, some revere Creed as the Pinnacle of all things perfume; the top of the pyramid in a myriad of new commers. Although I fall in and out of interest, it will remain to be a top house for sure.

I have owned these two in the distant past and have samples. The problem lies in loving both. Back then I felt that having both was a necessity but now, I feel it is not necessary to own both. I am starting to believe that no matter how fresh SMW may be, MI would work best in most situations and is a clean that can be enjoyed at any moment.

I was told by a SA that if Oliver Creed cannot match the exact scent in the deodorant that he will not make the deodorant and this would explain why deodorant is offered with some and not others. So apparantly, he cannot get MI deodorant to smell exactly like the spray so this is why there isn't one. Anyone find any truth to this? For the longest time there was not a SMW deo stick but now there is. I hope he can come out with a MI deo stick. Although I don't feel the shower gel is worth the money, the deo sticks are! They last an incredibly long time and there is a high concentration of perfume in it which layers nicely. Somedays I have just worn my GIT deo and it wore like a perfume!
    Last edited by Scentologist; 16th February 2008 at 12:40 AM.

Set in French prison, homosexual lovers, heavy crotches, aroused wardens, masturbation scenes...explicitly fetishised, provocative yet poetic, lyrical and cult.
    Which Creed does that describe?

in France some brands are all the hype while others are considered old-fashioned such as Creed and Caron. It 's just public perception, there are great scents regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by GMF View Post
    Which Creed does that describe?
    Could only be Royal English Leather. Most Creeds are too safe to conjure this kind of thoughts. Does it have to be a French prison though?

Unless you live in summery climate, I'd say go with SMW - Millesime Imperiale is total heaven, but only in humid weather, or if you're body is really radiating heat. Otherwise the "fatty" ambergris and musk notes don't come out, and as a result it tends to smell frail and sickly.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sa Majesté La Rose

Currently wearing: Black Aoud by Montale

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    ...Creed does not make a bad scent...
    They actually make several bad ones which is primarily due to inferior construction.

I was a Creed fanatic for a short time. I owned 16 bottles and flacons of them. They smell good but I soon discovered that there are a wide variety of niche and designer fragrances (many that are never talked about here) which provide a great deal more satisfaction because they're put together in a significantly more consummate manner. For what it's worth, many of the faculty members at the Saint Saëns school of perfumery refer to the Creeds as "those guys who play with essential oils". Creed fragrances are rarely spoken of in the classroom.

Alot of Creeds are sparkling and beautiful and instantly love strikes the smeller. This is a quality I have rarely found in other houses. For instance, it took me quite some time to understand and eventually like a few lutens. While I own and adire a couple, there is definately something to be said about the sickly, sweet, candied Shelldrake touch. Creed has more mass appeal if you will. Creed does something right because the house has won the world over. However, that is not to say that there aren't other great houses. I love Hermes, YSL, Montale, and others. And yet, there are some houses that have one-hit-wonders. Its all relative to personal opinion but statistical data might prove Creed to be ONE of the dominating houses (not the only one). Hell, I wear Eternity so, I only wear what smells good to me, not the general public. Creed just works. I do think Caron should receive more attention.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Creed fragrances are rarely spoken of in the classroom.
    I am curious to know which of the following houses are spoken of in the classroom:

Annick Goutal
    Floris
    Czech Speake
    Serge Lutens
    Villoresi
    Molinard
    Penhaligons
    MPG
    Commes des Garcon

My guess is it pretty much starts and ends with Chanel/Guerlain noses, unless they slip in a course or two on the design and construction of Cool Water and a lecture by Kurkdjian on the wonders of Le Male or Rose Barbare. And ofcourse who can forget my man Ellena...surely his principles must be taught to all the students there!
    -

You know, I've sampled every niche house out there. I'll take my "old-fashioned, natural smelling, hand made, infusion technique EDT Creed" over those "synthetic projectiles created in a vacuum by 12 scientists in lab coats with machines containing 88 ingredients one can detect from 22 yards away" everytime; no matter how "precise" or "good" they are perceived to smell.

Creed = control.

Guess they didn't teach that in the classroom...

Blog Entries

MI because it is dirtier, masculine, and, hence, more interesting to my nose.
    Same here with the MI, Himalaya then SMW
    Top Favorites

Lyric Man by Amouage
    Reflection Man by Amouage
    Club de Nuit Intense Man by Armaf
    Dior Homme Intense
    Noir Extreme by Tom Ford
    La Nuit L'Homme by YSL
    Layton by Parfums de Marly
    Black Aoud by Montale
    More Than Words by Xerjoff
    Sunshine Man by Amouage

Who goes to France anymore?.....
    LOL

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mttafire View Post
    LOL
    Ouch, that's going to leave a mark LOL
    Top Favorites

Lyric Man by Amouage
    Reflection Man by Amouage
    Club de Nuit Intense Man by Armaf
    Dior Homme Intense
    Noir Extreme by Tom Ford
    La Nuit L'Homme by YSL
    Layton by Parfums de Marly
    Black Aoud by Montale
    More Than Words by Xerjoff
    Sunshine Man by Amouage

Both are really good, either way you're going to get something you'll enjoy. Overall, I'd grab the SMW because it's more versatile (year round scent) and the longevity/sillage is better than MI. In the long run, I'd grab both.

If this counts for anything, I got a really good reaction from a blonde while wearing MI, while I think brunette's like the SMW more.
    Currently wearing: New-York by Nicolaï

I totally agree with nsamadi: both are really excellent, but SMW is the more versatile of the two. It is strange because I really liked MI initially, but Silver Mountain Water is the one that I really took to. It works great in the spring time, and wonderfully in the winter.

If you can get both, do (especially with MI's new bottle), but if I had to choose between the two, I would go with SMW.

Excellent advice guys! It sounds like nsamadi has an interesting experiment going on! I will crap my britches if one day I see an artical with a thorough study conducted by him on this matter! That would be awesome! I can't find a pic of the new imperial bottle. Can someone point me to a pic?
    Last edited by Scentologist; 16th February 2008 at 04:27 AM.

LOL
    besides Eva Longoria and well-off californians, most likely educated and cultured new yorkers but probably not too many of those who live in between...

LOL
    zing!
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

I would also lean towards MI because of the weird top note from SMW.....it goes away, and I really like the scent when it does, but MI is great all the way around.
    Current Wishlist: Vetiver Extraordinaire, Rousse & Opus 1870