Code of Conduct

Default More Creed blind buys arrived yesterday...

I purchased five more Creed fragrances blind:

1. Cuir de Russie
    2. Baie de Genievre
    3. Ambre Cannelle
    4. Royal English Leather
    5. Epicea

I'm wearing the Ambre Cannelle today. The initial blast of this stuff reminds me of a perfume my grandmother used to wear. Now that I've had it on a few hours, it's beginning to remind me some of Paul Sebastian PS. Others have said that AC reminds them of Old Spice, but I'm not getting that at all.

I'll post about the others I got as I wear them.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: More Creed blind buys arrived yesterday...

Ambre Canelle is a battleship.

SPLIT one spray between your chest and arms for that one! I cleared out an Old Navy the first night I owned A.C.!

Edit - you're going to want to take it easy with all of those!
    Last edited by Scentronic; 10th February 2008 at 08:02 PM.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Post Thanks / Like

FIVE Creeds blind!!!!!
    Last edited by deck89; 10th February 2008 at 08:01 PM.

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

Post Thanks / Like

Great choices all. I'd say you've started with the hardest to wear. The others are powerful as well, but easier wearing for men. Baie and REL are among my all-time favorites and Epicea is too little talked about. Magnificent citrus and warm embery pine, great for Siberian winters. Enjoy!
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Scentronic is right. Go easy on Ambre Cannelle, it's a strong one. It's true that it can conjure up thoughts of a womens' perfume. It's from a different era. But at the same time, it's very barbershop and I find it can be manly as well. If you smelled it on a woman, you'd think it was womens' perfume. If you smelled it on a man, you'd think it was a classic mens' aftershave. Simultaneously clean and dirty.

I'll be honest. I don't know of many times when I'd wear my Ambre Cannelle in public. I don't know that it suits my personality all that well. Still, it smells wonderful and I enjoy it at home. I think if I were to wear it, I'd pick a really cold day when I would be spending some time outside.

Maybe it's just me (most likely it's just me) but the BdG has very little scent and hardly lasts on me. It's certainly one that'll need to find a new home.
    Current Wishlist: Vetiver Extraordinaire, Rousse & Opus 1870

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    Scentronic is right. Go easy on Ambre Cannelle, it's a strong one. It's true that it can conjure up thoughts of a womens' perfume. It's from a different era. But at the same time, it's very barbershop and I find it can be manly as well. If you smelled it on a woman, you'd think it was womens' perfume. If you smelled it on a man, you'd think it was a classic mens' aftershave. Simultaneously clean and dirty.
    I was just reading through the reviews of AC and someone mentioned "think Youth Dew." I'm wondering if that's the perfume my grandmother used to wear that AC reminds me of?

So far, I'd have to say BdP is my favorite Creed fragrance. But, wow...this AC really goes through several transformations during the dry down. To call it interesting and complex would be an understatement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by primetime34 View Post
    Maybe it's just me (most likely it's just me) but the BdG has very little scent and hardly lasts on me. It's certainly one that'll need to find a new home.
    Blows my mind
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Now I'm getting hints of YSL Opium.

AC is a really interesting fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    Blows my mind
    Maybe I ought to try it again...it's been 6 weeks or so since I last wore it...I guess I'll give it a shot in the next day or two?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GMF View Post
    I purchased five more Creed fragrances blind:

1. Cuir de Russie
    2. Baie de Genievre
    3. Ambre Cannelle
    4. Royal English Leather
    5. Epicea

I'm wearing the Ambre Cannelle today. The initial blast of this stuff reminds me of a perfume my grandmother used to wear. Now that I've had it on a few hours, it's beginning to remind me some of Paul Sebastian PS. Others have said that AC reminds them of Old Spice, but I'm not getting that at all.

I'll post about the others I got as I wear them.
    I love all the choices you made, obviously, but CdR and Epicea are poor blind buys. CdR is a quirky fragrance that is only for true lovers of leather. It can be salty and rubbery. Epicea is loaded with cardamom so the drydown is very sweaty and old-fashioned. Both are definite "try before you buy" material. I hope you end up liking them all.

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    Epicea is loaded with cardamom so the drydown is very sweaty and old-fashioned. Both are definite "try before you buy" material. I hope you end up liking them all.
    I have to agree with you on the Epicea. I like it, but the cardamom can be almost nauseating. One time I wore it to work, and while I liked it, by the end of the day I was wondering if it didn't smell a little bit like old sweat. It made me a tad self-conscious. Like many of the Creed EDTs, a fine piece of work, but a bit anachronistic for most situations.

Post Thanks / Like

That's quite the selection. The Royal English Leather is an intensely interesting fragrance, and of those I have tried, the longest lasting. I once sprayed it on in the morning and it was going on (strongly) well into 5 am the next day. I would consider REL an opulent fragrance, very worthy of a king, but quite difficult to wear for a plebe like me.

Post Thanks / Like

Why would someone buy 5 creeds blind?
    Seriously, why?

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    Seriously, why?
    To see what they smell like.
    --------------------------------------
    I wore the Baie de Genievre today. What a great scent!
    Last edited by GMF; 12th February 2008 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Post Thanks / Like

Thats what I like to hear!

Baie de Genievre is an outstanding scent. A must-try Creed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post

Baie de Genievre is an outstanding scent. A must-try Creed
    Scentronic

In the last 2 months I have bought 6 Creeds

Now you are tempting me to buy one more
    My Top Six - Guerlain Vetiver, Santal Noble, Bois Du Portugal, Antaeus, GIT, Vetiver Extraordinaire

Wardrobe

Seriously, why?
    I was going to say it might be related to someone having more money than common sense, but that's too harsh. I do worry that people buy Creeds just because of the name, and personally I feel that there are much more interesting fragrances than some of those you purchased. BdG is my only keeper in the bunch. But hey, if you've got the money to throw around, I cant see a good reason for not purchasing them. They are good trade bait, so you can always get something for them on the swaps, and I suppose buying a bottle is a little more cost efficient than buying a sample. But the original poster has to know that he will get responses like the one above. Spending a month's rent on 5 blind buys seems a little gratuitous. I mean, if you just wanted to know what they smelled like you could have ordered samples for about $15.00 total.
    Personally I never buy any full bottles blindly. It is a rule that has served me well in the past years and I wish I had been so strict in the formative years of this hobby. But then, I cant afford to end up with a bunch of bottles I don't like. Some folks can, I guess.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickins View Post
    I was going to say it might be related to someone having more money than common sense, but that's too harsh. I do worry that people buy Creeds just because of the name, and personally I feel that there are much more interesting fragrances than some of those you purchased. BdG is my only keeper in the bunch. But hey, if you've got the money to throw around, I cant see a good reason for not purchasing them. They are good trade bait, so you can always get something for them on the swaps, and I suppose buying a bottle is a little more cost efficient than buying a sample. But the original poster has to know that he will get responses like the one above. Spending a month's rent on 5 blind buys seems a little gratuitous. I mean, if you just wanted to know what they smelled like you could have ordered samples for about $15.00 total.
    Okay...I see what the issue is now. I never meant to convey that I purchased bottles of these five fragrances. I figured everyone would just assume that five blind Creed buys would be samples, which is what I purchased. I got five sample vials in this last shipment, which makes a total of seven Creed samples I've gotten in the last couple weeks.

Are we all on the same page now?

Wow....that makes so much more sense!!! We were all thinking about you buying so many blind bottles. It's pretty funny now.

On another notes...I'm going to have to try BdG tomorrow.....I've had it for a while and haven't worn it recently..I wasn't impressed the first time.

Post Thanks / Like

To see what they smell like.
    --------------------------------------
    I wore the Baie de Genievre today. What a great scent!
    LOL..The most perfect answer.

Post Thanks / Like

I want to add that the absolute worst Creed blind buys IMO are the ones that I would call exclusively "cold weather scents". These fragrances have slightly animalic/BO properties. If you are sweating the least bit while wearing any of these, you are very very likely to offend. Only wear them in winter. Trust me, I know...

Cyprès-Musc: heavy on the civet so you may literally smell like your cat peed on you this morning.
    Epicéa: heavy on the cardamom so you can smell like sweat once the pine note dries down.
    Royal Scottish Lavender: amber gives off "gym bag sprayed with Lysol" smell when mixed with body heat.
    Cuir de Russie-the birch note gives this leather an almost "fungal" quality.

All of the above are nice in their own way but must be applied lightly.

-Mike

If you have bad luck again w/ Creed BdG. It's always welcome in the zerby home.

Wore BdG today and I still didn't like it. I guess I'm a freak or something. I guess it needs a new home.

i'm interested in knowing more details on your thoughts about wearing BdG.

i've been eyeing this one for a while but based on smelling sprays on paper samples at neimans and reading more about it online since then. i haven't been able to wear it on my skin yet. i guess i should pop over to nm tom. morning and wear it for a day.

I wore the Epicéa yesterday. I like it, but not as much as BdG.

Seriously, why?
    Because he had hundreds of dollars he didn't know what to do with. That's what I'd do if I have hundreds of dollars I didn't know what to do with. But I don't...
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

Post Thanks / Like

I look forward to your experiences with Cuir de Russie.

When I got my bottle I liked it above average, but it was nothing knockout. Then women who hugged me while I had it on started complimenting it. 'Course that changes everything for the better in my book. Since then I've fount it has superior yet subtle longevity, it combines sundried crude leather with Kouros, and has the morning wind through the birches to boot. (But the birch tar element part gives that away, it isn't that such an image came to me unaided.) I now think it would be a fantastic signature scent.

So what can I say? I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Okay...I see what the issue is now. I never meant to convey that I purchased bottles of these five fragrances. I figured everyone would just assume that five blind Creed buys would be samples, which is what I purchased. I got five sample vials in this last shipment, which makes a total of seven Creed samples I've gotten in the last couple weeks.

When we use the term "blind buy", it refers to purchase of actual bottles of said fragrance. Not samples-- even if you paid for the samples. Just for future reference.

It's not necessarily bad to buy things blind. I think it's more exciting. Sure, once in a while you'll get a bottle of something you don't care for, but if you read the reviews first, that can be helpful. I just think it's more fun to get a bottle of something you haven't sniffed and discover that you love it. More of a thrill-seeker mentality.
    Last edited by Indie_Guy; 13th February 2008 at 08:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    When we use the term "blind buy", it refers to purchase of actual bottles of said fragrance. Not samples-- even if you paid for the samples. Just for future reference.

It's not necessarily bad to buy things blind. I think it's more exciting. Sure, once in a while you'll get a bottle of something you don't care for, but if you read the reviews first, that can be helpful. I just think it's more fun to get a bottle of something you haven't sniffed and discover that you love it. More of a thrill-seeker mentality.
    I'd have to agree wholeheartedly, it's best when you get something ridiculously cheap off e-bay, and buy it just because of that, hoping you'll find a use out of it, and end up loving it yourself

Quote Originally Posted by sleekblackroadster View Post
    i'm interested in knowing more details on your thoughts about wearing BdG.

i've been eyeing this one for a while but based on smelling sprays on paper samples at neimans and reading more about it online since then. i haven't been able to wear it on my skin yet. i guess i should pop over to nm tom. morning and wear it for a day.
    I'm curious if anybody feels the same way I do about BdG. It has very short longevity on me and it doesn't stand out very well on me. Just curious if anybody else feels this way.

I'm curious if anybody feels the same way I do about BdG. It has very short longevity on me and it doesn't stand out very well on me. Just curious if anybody else feels this way.
    From my one day of wearing it, I can say that on me the scent lasted for a good 12 hours. It's not, however, so powerful that everyone smells it the minute I walk in the room. It's more subtle and a close "in person" type scent, which is what I tend to prefer.

Post Thanks / Like

It is weak so I usually OVERapply BdG...at least 4 squirts are needed.

Post Thanks / Like

BdG isn't weak on me, and I apply the usual five or six shots. It lasts on the dirty clothes until washing day too.

Sounds like I'm close with it not "projecting" very much...however, I just don't think the smell is that impressive to me...guess I'm in the minority..even though I usually love Creed fragrances.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like I'm close with it not "projecting" very much...however, I just don't think the smell is that impressive to me...guess I'm in the minority..even though I usually love Creed fragrances.
    I'm sorry you do not like BdG. I think the way it stays close to the skin and does not project is it's greatest strength. It smells like the most natural Creed IMO: juniper berry, cinnamon, vetiver. That's it. I don't get any synthetic vibe whatsoever. I could literally bathe in this stuff and never once feel like it's too much.

I agree...it definitely does not smell synthetic at all. Even though I personally don't get too fired up by the fragrance, I do believe that it is a great scent....just not for me.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a perfect example that communication is one of the most difficult arts to master. To transfer a thought - precisely, completely and intact - from one mind to others is not easy in the best of circumstances.

I never would have assumed or understood that you were talking about samples and not bottles. By that standard, I have about 300 blind buys that I have not been claiming in my wardrobe.

I have tried (and now own) three of the five: Royal English Leather, Ambre Cannelle and Baie de Genievre. I love and enjoy all three, but REL is the only one that I love enough to have a backup bottle.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 14th February 2008 at 03:53 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Post Thanks / Like

What an enlightening turn this thread had taken when we discovered that the blind buys were just samples

Now that we've got the terminology all straightened out...

I'd say that this selection is among the meatier Creeds and maybe more challenging to wear in some cases, but maybe not...

If I had to pick the one I liked the best, I'd probably go with Baie de Genievre, and the one I like the least is Epecia.

Post Thanks / Like

For clearest communication, I guess I should add to my BdG post that I think the scent is good, but isn't one of my favorites. It's a decent piece of candy in the Halloween bag, but I eat up the other candies first.

I wore the Cuir de Russie today. Not a big fan of this frag. I picked the day to wear this that I'm having new tires put on my car, and that's what this stuff smells like to me: fresh, expensive, new rolling rubber. It smells exactly like the tires I chose for my car.

Interesting.....I'm not sure I'd want to smell like rubber very often...even though I have B-Men (it needs a new home too ). So how many of your samples have you gone through now?

Interesting.....I'm not sure I'd want to smell like rubber very often...even though I have B-Men (it needs a new home too ). So how many of your samples have you gone through now?
    I've worn them all except REL. That's tomorrow. I'll see if it smells like a Rolls interior after the dry down.

I for one am anxious to see you rank all the Creeds you received. Looking forward to tomorrow!!

A follow-up on the CdR: After about 10 hours on me the rubber tire scent fades to something that smells vaguely like leather mixed with Ivory soap.

Post Thanks / Like

A follow-up on the CdR: After about 10 hours on me the rubber tire scent fades to something that smells vaguely like leather mixed with Ivory soap.
    I thought it smelled like leather mixed with the ocean...plus plastic, rubber, gasoline, tar etc...

Okay, I wore the REL today. I still don't see how anyone thinks this stuff smells like the interior of a Rolls-Royce--unless said interior has been sprayed down with REL.

Anyhow, I'm totally convinced now that when MEM developed English Leather in the late 40s they were trying to develop a less sweet but very similar fragrance to Creed's Royal English Leather. Once the sweet initial blast of urinal cake subsides, REL and EL are very similar on me, with REL continuing to be more sweet throughout the dry down. In the end I have to say I prefer EL to REL, however.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, I wore the REL today. I still don't see how anyone thinks this stuff smells like the interior of a Rolls-Royce--unless said interior has been sprayed down with REL.

Anyhow, I'm totally convinced now that when MEM developed English Leather in the late 40s they were trying to develop a less sweet but very similar fragrance to Creed's Royal English Leather. Once the sweet initial blast of urinal cake subsides, REL and EL are very similar on me, with REL continuing to be more sweet throughout the dry down. In the end I have to say I prefer EL to REL, however.
    I think you made your point in several other posts...

Wow, your response to REL is surprising....urinal cakes? Seems a bit harsh but to each their own

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, your response to REL is surprising....urinal cakes? Seems a bit harsh but to each their own
    I personally think he just did a "cut and paste" from another basenotes review.

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    I personally think he just did a "cut and paste" from another basenotes review.
    I did read that description from one of the reviews, and I chose it because it's accurate to my nose. The initial scent of REL reminds me of those pink urinal cakes in men's restrooms.