Code of Conduct

Default Factors that affect fragrance wear

I mean, certain factors that will affect how good or bad a fragrance will be on you...for example.

Very hot temperatures, stuffy crowded rooms, amount of application, stress, sweat, time, etc. Im certainly no expert, so hopefully some of you can contribute your own ideas : )

Default Re: Factors that affect fragrance wear

I think you have them all covered for the most part.
    The only other thing i can think of is certain foods. Although i'm not positive about this -- but i could have sworn i read it somewhere. I have never noticed fragraces smelling any different on me after eating spicy food, garlic etc.

Also, the concentration (edt,edp,parfum) could be another factor i think.

smoking
    drinking
    smell of the air around you i.e - it will smell different in a restaurant than it will in a forrest
    wind
    humidity

Sweat...some scents stink when mixed with sweat.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Cold. Now I'm experiencing with Dzing and in the winter chill or in a cool room it doesn't show its true face. But if I warm up then it would blossom.

Blog Entries

Skin type. If your skin's dry, it'll just suck up the juice and won't project at all. If you have more oil or natural moisture (not water) in your skin, it'll project more and it'll stick around longer.

Basenotes Institution

Anosmia. Definition here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anosmia
    "Acknowledging the good that you already have in your life is the foundation for all abundance."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Some fragrances really blossom with heat and a little sweat. For example, Terre D'Hermes smells sterile and somewhat synethetic and harsh to me in cold weather, but if I wear it when I'm doing yard work in warm weather, it smells amazing and very natural.

Eating foods with a lot of cumin and garlic/onions in it will also affect how some fragrances smell on you. Some people never smell like garlic when they eat it, others smell garlic-y within an hour. But cumin will almost always come out in the sweat whether a person knows it or not.

Some fragrances also smell slightly different depending on whether you spray them up close or from farther away. Different notes can be highlighted in a fragrance by changing the distance from which you spray them on yourself, i.e. some of the basenotes might be emphasized, or the top notes might hang around longer than usual.
    Currently digging: Le Labo Rose 31 and Oud oils.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned deodorant yet! That's my biggest downfall; I can't find a decent "unscented" one that, in reality, is unscented. Therefore, I find that my "After Hours" Old Spice deodorant mixes in unfavorably unless I wear an extra spray on the diaphragm.

Blog Entries

Have you tried Mitchum unscented?
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." HERBERT SPENCER

@Leifer...No problem with that ...I use crystal body deodorant (no parfum in it). Holds 1 year

http://www.amazon.com/Rock-Thai-Crys.../dp/B000AN1JEI

Over 300% more effective than commercial deodorants
    100% pure and natural
    Does not contain any harsh chemicals, aluminum, perfumes, oils, emulsifiers, alcohol, or propellants
    Inhibits bacterial growth on your body
    Lasts up to one year or more

First rule for me...not any deodorant with parfum!!! 1 problem less

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Cold. Now I'm experiencing with Dzing and in the winter chill or in a cool room it doesn't show its true face. But if I warm up then it would blossom.
    I agree...

This definitely applies to Narciso Rodriguez as well...
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet View Post
    Have you tried Mitchum unscented?

Mitchum (either scented or unscented) is an excellent deodorant.
    Last edited by KMF; 16th February 2008 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

The foods that are cooked in your home will affect the way you and your clothes smell.
    I take a bath once per week. A good long soaking will get your body much cleaner than a shower and your fragrance will really "pop". Try it.

Dry skin...and Mitchum unscented is awesome!!
    Current Wishlist: Vetiver Extraordinaire, Rousse & Opus 1870

Agreeing with everyone about Mitchum unscented.

Body temperature is also a factor. Not just environmental temperature. Sometimes I get very hot (usually without sweating) and my frag projects more. My body temp is relatively cold, under the normal 98.6F and my frags don't project very well.