Code of Conduct

Default Classic Caron/Guerlain suggestion for person with eclectic tastes

Good day (or evening),

I'm a longtime lurker who humbly needs recommendations. I wish to give a classic Caron or Guerlain fragrance to my female cousin who apparently has eclectic tastes. She enjoys Chanel No. 5, CK One, and Coach The Fragrance. Please, will you kindly offer any suggestions? They would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much,

Stephen

Default Re: Classic Caron/Guerlain suggestion for person with eclectic tastes

Hi, Stephen --

Well, for Carons, I'd suggest "Alpona" for your cousin, though it's "wicked expensive" (to quote from my New England roots), and would also recommend "Replique" from Long Lost Perfume, and also "Midnight Flower" and/or "Zephyr" from Neil Morris Fragrances at www.neilmorrisfragrances.com

Have fun, happy hunting, and let us know how you fare!

ComDiva
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Neither house does anything like CKOne which is aqueous.

Yes I agree with Alpona.
    How about Infini it is aldehyde floral in the vein of No5 but greener.
    Royal Bain de Caron it has a unusual fizz in the top notes like champagne.

Guerlains, well how about Mitsouko? Not really in the range you quoted but everyone should try it.
    DONNA

when you said she has eclectic tastes, what came to mind was En Avion.
    or you could take a chance on Tabac Blond which is classic and has many lovers here.
    it's a strong statement, tobacco and leather opening with a creamy vanilla drydown, and if she loves Chanel no. 5, she just might enjoy it. En Avion also has leather but is more genteel in my opinon and has a complicated drydown and evolution.
    check out the thread here about various frags in the house.

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=204039
    Last edited by rtamara41; 16th February 2008 at 07:34 PM.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Wow.
    Looking at what she likes, I'm not so sure about these.

If she's truly a #5 girl- then Guerlain's Liu would be right up her alley, but it's quite costly- no discounts to be had, there.
    If the citrusy things appeal, I'd like to agree with Alpona- but that's MUCH drier and more sophisticated than either you've listed.
    Caron Bain de Champagne is gorgeous and sweet- but sweeter than # 5, and an oriental.

Infini is gorgeous, but very spicy- perhaps Nocturnes EDT would be a better buy- not too spicy, aldehydic, and floral.
    I adore Replique, but it's very green- maybe too green for her.

Coach is very white floral- and the closest you'll get to that is the new Cruel Gardenia from Guerlain, which I suspect she would really enjoy- but it costs a LOT.
    The newest EL Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia would be a safe bet- and if you got her the lovely compact with the stones- even better.
    Like a precious jewel, not too outrageously priced, and even better than her Coach, which you already know she likes....

For beautiful aldehydic florals that are classic and affordable, I would stick to Jacomo's Silences, and Caron's Nocturnes.

Neil Morris' Parfum D'Odette would be perfect, too.
    The lady for whom it was created, only loved # 5- and she could have 2 oz. of parfum for $150.00.
    You could call Neil and ask for a sample.

I love ALL these, and own them. Especially those rt listed above...
    But I find it hard to place them in a category including the types you've listed.

Jacomo's Silences is a beautiful fragrance, (blowing a kiss to Scentemental ) and could be a cousin of Chanel no. 19, but I guess I was wagering that since No. 5 and Tabac Blond are both on my own top ten list, she might have a similar inclination.

But if you are looking for a more"gentle" ladylike Caron, how about Parfum Sacre?
    Chaya? what think thou?
    roses and delicate incense.

Is it your intent, Stephen, to gift her with something similar to what she owns or with something new? Guide us, oh lurker.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

I lLOVE them all-
    You KNOW I'm a Tabac Blond fiend.
    And Sacre is heavenly.
    Gosh, I wear them all, literally and happily.

I guess, I was trying to find a fit that wouldn't break the bank, and a sure-fire bet.

For example- if she likes Coach, she might like Fracas.
    But EL would be closer, but a 'step up', a little more elegant. A bit more finished.
    The Caron Tubereuse would blow her away.
    Mahora would be VERY potent, and probably overwhelming.

Why not Yves Rocher's Gardenia ?
    It's extraordinary, cheap, and she could have the whole shebang.

Citrus is tough- they can be too dry.
    Ava-Luxe Citrine would be creamy-citrus- and she'd put it up on her website for him.
    Another beauty is After the Rain, by Neil, again.
    This is just glorious, and his sister's signature scent.

Lurkerman-
    We need more info...

How old is she ?
    What does she do ?
    What kind of coloring ?
    What's her sense of humor like ?
    How

I very much agree with Chayaruchama: Guerlain's Liu is a wonderful choice. If your cousin would like to explore the other Chanels, I recommend No. 22.

The first thing that came to my mind was - would she enjoy the Malle sample set? It would cost about as much as some of the Guerlains / Carons, and it is definitely eclectic.

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    Is it your intent, Stephen, to gift her with something similar to what she owns or with something new? Guide us, oh lurker.
    Quote Originally Posted by chayaruchama View Post
    How old is she ?
    What does she do ?
    What kind of coloring ?
    What's her sense of humor like ?
    Thank you all for the very kind replies. rtamara41, it's my intent to gift her with something similar, probably to play it safe. When I asked my brother what she wore, my immediate response was, "Wow, those are very different." Could there possibly be an older Caron or Guerlain that shared a common ground with these three disparate scents?

chayaruchama, she is 41, a children's music teacher, light skinned with freckles and dark blond hair, and possesses a laid back personality and an easy sense of humor. She is one of the warmest persons I've ever met - a very agreeable person. I might add also that she is Latin and very feminine. I hope this helps.

By the way, I'm leaning towards a Caron specifically because it's my favorite house for men's fragrances, and I do like Narcisse Noir on women too.

Thanks again,

Stephen
    Last edited by smn001; 16th February 2008 at 10:50 PM. Reason: forgot to mention something

Overcome By Fumes

Eau de Reglisse, modern, chic, and pretty accessible.

Quote Originally Posted by smn001 View Post
    Thank you all for the very kind replies. rtamara41, it's my intent to gift her with something similar, probably to play it safe. When I asked my brother what she wore, my immediate response was, "Wow, those are very different." Could there possibly be an older Caron or Guerlain that shared a common ground with these three disparate scents?

chayaruchama, she is 41, a children's music teacher, light skinned with freckles and dark blond hair, and possesses a laid back personality and an easy sense of humor. She is one of the warmest persons I've ever met - a very agreeable person. I might add also that she is Latin and very feminine. I hope this helps.

By the way, I'm leaning towards a Caron specifically because it's my favorite house for men's fragrances, and I do like Narcisse Noir on women too.

Thanks again,

Stephen
    What do we think, ladies? Tabac Blond and/or Poivre, maybe?
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Can a guy chime in? What about Miss Rocaille? A Caron by name only, perhaps, but quite a sublime creation.

Ruggles, that's a nice choice.
    The original Fleurs de Rocaille is very nice as well, in EDT.

Now I 've gone back in, to smell all my Carons.
    Maybe, Bain de Champagne isn't a bad bet- and it comes attractively packaged,can be had on-line very reasonably priced.

Much as I love TB and Poivre, they're very powerful.
    Coup de Fouet would be more wearable for her, in that vein .

She honestly sounds more like a Guerlain girl, to me.
    I could very much see her in Chant D'aromes, or Chamade..
    Shalimar Light might be a great choice, too.

Both Liu and Infini are lovely aldehydic scents.

She would probably enjoy Nocturnes and Chamade as well.

Have you considered Nuit de Noel? Despite its holiday name it is a classic slightly oriental floral, warm and gorgeous without trying too hard.