Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Champaca (Luxe Series) by Comme des Garcons - a mini review

Do you ever find yourself taking a LONG time to get around to certain samples you have? I mean, you're excited about trying it; you've heard many comments on BN about it, etc - but something keeps you from actually breaking open the samples and trying at already! This happened to me with Champaca by Comme des Garcons.

I received the samples back in November of last year. I already wore the other scent in the Luxe Series, Patchouli (thread here) and found it heady, dry and luxurious (albeit a little overpriced). Ruggles told me he sampled the Champaca in Paris and found it really feminine (which honestly didn't stop me) - and I already own Guerilla 1 by Comme des Garcons which promininently features champaca among it's other odd notes (pear, saffron) and uses it to odd effect: G1 smells like the inside of a butcher shop. Meat. Metal tables. White aprons. It's an odd one. Extremely odd.

But Champaca does not have one odd bone in it's $265 (for less than 1 oz) body. As I found out, Champaca is pretty great:

- The top notes are indolic white flower of the A La Nuit, Carnal Flower variety. I get tuberose and it's bright white. Some angelica tempers it but overall the white floral is enhanced mostly by the pepper (the notes list white pepper and bird pepper [?]) The pepper is perfectly blended with the florals. Let me say that again: The pepper is perfectly blended with the florals. I sniffed my hand atleast 15 times to get the floral/pepper effect. As I said before, the florals are bright - so the combo with the pepper gives it an uplifting pungent effect. It also 'butches' up the florals a little IMO (like Rose Poivree by TDC does)
    - As the scent stays on your skin it gets creamier. I can't say I'm a fan of creamy florals, but coming off of the bright peppery top notes, the creamy floral is welcomed nicely. And of course, this is when the star of the show: the champaca flower note, truly shines. The champaca is extremely strong but not meaty like G1. For a few seconds it got a little 'blue cheese', but then that part faded and it went back to its creamy, floral, complex self
    - Champaca smells expensive. Hard to convey in words, but the overall effect of something wild and something natural (ironic, no?) left me with a feeling that how I smelled was something very rare. Another blogger mentioned that this scent would fit in perfectly in the Armani Prive line and I agree.
    - The white musk drydown was not my favorite, but the hints of champaca notes that stayed all the way to the base notes made it special. I could swear there's iris in the dry down but it doesn't seem as if iris is an official note.
    - The bottle (pic below) looks ridiculous to me. I think it looks like that video game Q-Bert (that stair-like mountain that Q-Bert jumps on and off) but many others have corrected me and now I agree it does look like an Atari joystick.
    - If you're a man and you love and wear Joy by Patou then I think you deserve to give Champaca a try.
    - When I received my samples from Luckyscent I ordered two samples of Champaca. One I dabbed on from the glass vial. The second one I decanted into a small atomizer and sprayed on. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I recommend spraying Champaca on - it revealed much more complexities to me, atomized on to my skin. Tip!

"One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Default Re: Champaca (Luxe Series) by Comme des Garcons - a mini review

Now that's a cool bottle

I prefer the cube shaped bottles to be fair, but that is old minimalist me.

Fantastic review *scribbles down onto to try list* Yes, i'm sad enough to have one:P

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    I prefer the cube shaped bottles to be fair, but that is old minimalist me.

Fantastic review *scribbles down onto to try list* Yes, i'm sad enough to have one:P
    Yeah I just realized that both Champaca and Patchouli can be purchased in that squiggly pyramid bottle or the rectangular cube bottle.

-- Jack Kerouac

$265 for a 1 Oz. EDP strength perfume is just too expensive. Is that dog-poop like bottle design considered a work of art ?

Does anyone know how it compares to Ormand Jayne's Champaca ?
    -

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Does anyone know how it compares to Ormand Jayne's Champaca ?
    I have never smelled Ormonde Jayne's but in the NowSmellThis review of CdG Champaca she mentions: Anyone who demands a bit of a "wow factor" from a fragrance of this price, however, might well be disappointed. For a "wow factor" champaca, you'll need to turn to Ormonde Jayne... (link here)

-- Jack Kerouac