Code of Conduct

Default Black Tie vs. LV Musk

I've been wanting a rose frag. for a long time, but now I'm narrowing it down to just these two. So, what are your thoughts about Washington Tremlett's Black Tie vs. Lorenzo Villoresi's Musk?

Default Re: Black Tie vs. LV Musk

i owned LV musk and Santa Maria Novella musk which are cousins. LV is one of the best crafted frags i have ever encounered. A bottle will last you a lifetime because you only need one spray on the chest and the sillage will do the rest. The scent itself is beautiful...its rose...deep rose which creates warmth on the skin which is where i suppose the musk comes in. I have had so many compliments on this from many lovely ladies who never ever commented on anything i wore before....get it...i have never heard of the other frag that you mentioned.

For me LV Musk was a bit too feminine. Really nice, though.

I ADORE WT Black Tie... its my favourite rose scent for men by a mile! Its worn close to the skin, but thats also a good thing.
    Definitely the superior scent of the two IMHO.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 17th February 2008 at 06:16 PM.

Well, they seem to be neck-to-neck at the moment. They are both very nice scents, which is why I've narrowed it down to these two. (Floris #89 was in that company too, but now it's too hard to get in the US.) I've previously tested LV Musk and liked it, but thought it might be too feminine for me, but that was before I was seriously considering a rose scent. My only concern about Black Tie is that the rose is really strong and I'm afraid here in the US people will think I smell like their grandmother or something.

Have you tried Domenico Caraceni - this is a rose that will not get you mistaken for Grandma? Qualitywise it plays in the same league and I can't think of a better scent to wear with a fine suit.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I have tried Domenico Caraceni, but I just kept thinking that it smelled like a funeral home. I think the combination of smells in it must trigger some memory I have. I think it smells great, but that funeral home association is definitely there for me.

I haven't tried BT, but if Dimitri likes it, I'm sure it's good.

I have BA, R31 and LV Musk, love them all. DID NOT love dom. caraceni, at all.

Well, I'm wearing LV Musk on my left arm and Black tie on the right. LV is very sweet, floral and powdery, the rose is on the backburner. It smells very nice, that heliotrope-kind of sweetness does strike a feminine chord, especially in the topn notes, though I find it entirely wearable - more of a comfort than an office scent to me, though.
    Black tie is much more focused on rose, gentler and somewhat sweeter than No. 88. I get green, "flowershop" notes too. The rose actually reminds me of Aoud Damascus, which I wore today.
    Both are great and both might get frowns, on a man, from not-so-perfume-crazy people. Then again, if you wear them with confidence, even olfactory conservatives might just wonder what makes you smell so good, rather than accusing you of gender-bending . It's a hard call, sick puppy that I am I'd mortgage the house and get them both.
    Last edited by the_good_life; 17th February 2008 at 11:21 PM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Great insights Good_life! Your description of Black Tie is right on the nose
    There is something green lying beneath the surface. The soft rose takes center stage though, but in an understated way.
    Where C&S 88 is a little bit harsher and drier, Black Tie is clean and lush. It is exactly what I would like to be wearing under a crisp hand-tailored shirt.

Hi Tom,
    Where did you bought Black Tie,from first-in-fragrance?
    I think is quite expensive,140 euros...[
    Is there any other source?

Giannisquote=the_good_life;1161039]Well, I'm wearing LV Musk on my left arm and Black tie on the right. LV is very sweet, floral and powdery, the rose is on the backburner. It smells very nice, that heliotrope-kind of sweetness does strike a feminine chord, especially in the topn notes, though I find it entirely wearable - more of a comfort than an office scent to me, though.
    Black tie is much more focused on rose, gentler and somewhat sweeter than No. 88. I get green, "flowershop" notes too. The rose actually reminds me of Aoud Damascus, which I wore today.
    Both are great and both might get frowns, on a man, from not-so-perfume-crazy people. Then again, if you wear them with confidence, even olfactory conservatives might just wonder what makes you smell so good, rather than accusing you of gender-bending . It's a hard call, sick puppy that I am I'd mortgage the house and get them both.[/quote]

There's a few sources, but the price is always the same. I only have a FIF sample and personally I would rather spend 140 Euros on 200ml of No.88 rather than Tremlett, since I have Crown Marechale, which IMHO is easily as good as Tremlett in terms of green rose and way better on me than even Creed's FdTRB. Plus I haven't even opened my new bottle of Aoud Damascus yet. So, I'm covered .

Quote Originally Posted by giannis View Post
    Hi Tom,
    Where did you bought Black Tie,from first-in-fragrance?
    I think is quite expensive,140 euros...[
    Is there any other source?
    My Wardrobe

Gianni, Luckyscent has Black Tie for around €110 for 100mls which is the cheapest Ive found so far, but then obviously one must consider shipping to Greece.
    Heres a link:
    http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detai...1603&section=1

I will be waiting to return to Vienna next month to grab my full-price bottle. Money well spent IMO.

Thank you Tom and Dimitri

Dimitri you are right,Luckyscent total for Greece is 125 euros while first-in-fragrance 148...
    I think that must try it before,,

Gianni, if you can hang on until around easter when I get my bottle, I will gladly send you a sample from it.
    Dimitri

Thank you patrida,you are very kind as all the Greeks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Gianni, if you can hang on until around easter when I get my bottle, I will gladly send you a sample from it.
    Dimitri

Na'sai kala file Anything for a fellow Hellene!

You are right,we are HELLENES!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Na'sai kala file Anything for a fellow Hellene!