Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thrax

Default Kouros-What have I been missing??

Well, after short waiting period I finally got my bottle of this in the mail. Now, I have had one chance to try this "classic" before and needless to say it smelled like.....piss. But recently I really started to crave the smell of some good ol' pissy Kouros. So I swapped for a bottle, got it in the mail, and tried a big ol shot right on the back of my hand. Then I was amazed. I didnt get any piss note at all, no horrible urinal cake smell. Somewhat strong at first and just a bit off putting. But, BUT-The beauty of this jewel is the dry down. About 15 minutes after application I get this amazing honeyed woody smell that is something similar to Miel de Bois by Lutens. My oh my I feel like a bad person for dismissing this one on first impressions. Oh Kouros, I love you.

Default Re: Kouros-What have I been missing??

Me too, I'm taking this off my swap list lol.

Basenotes Institution

So Thrax. I see you took the blue pill. Welcome to the other side.
    "Realize deeply that the present moment is all you will ever have."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I wore it today. 3 sprays was one too many but it was still bearable though my nose got a bit fatigued. 1 or 2 max is all you need and then it really shines - less is (much) more.

Welcome to the club. I love Kouros. 2-3 sprays usually does it for me.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Oh, yeah.

Exactly

don't dismiss Kouros until you wear it on your skin. This is when the magic comes alive

I've worn it once, but this thread has inspired me to give it a try again.
    Current Wishlist: Vetiver Extraordinaire, Rousse & Opus 1870

I can never be without a bottle.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Hey Thrax ...
    I like to think of it as the nectar of a thousand nubile virgins ...
    instead of male urinal cake .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Dimitrios.....
    that's a visual I never wanted to have.
    Current Wishlist: Vetiver Extraordinaire, Rousse & Opus 1870

Because of all the comments, I was leery of even trying Kouros for months after I joined Basenotes.

When I didn't die after Yatagan and Parfum d'Habit, I became brave enough to give it a shot.

Like Thrax, I am glad that I did. Kouros fits me and specific situations very well. It has an important place in my arsenal of workplace fragrances.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Hey Primetime ... Im just glad others like Thrax and TwoRoads have revisited and enjoying this gem !!
    .... as for my visual .....hmmm .. I won't say what I really should have .

SALES

I used up a 1.7 bottle of it last year...maybe it's time to spring for another. Great stuff.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Go for it ... !!

SALES

With musk, honey, leather and patchouli as basenotes, Kouros surely has a very alluring drydown. I never really understood the overly dramatic "OMi GODz!! I Am SwiMMINg in CtaZ Pee!!" or "DOnT TRy ITZ yoUR NAZALz wil BLoW OUTZ!!!" sentiments so often expressed here on Kouros. And then there was the recent very silly article from Burr about how Kouros is so loaded with civet that it should only be worn by neanderthals ...pretty ridiculous considering how showering in the mindblowingly saccharine Lutens or the earth shaking heavy Ouds of Montale must have surely toughened up the nasal receptors of perfumer lovers to withstand the assault of mighty Kouros.
    -

dimitrios, you've just come closer than anyone has previously at making me want a bottle of kouros. nice work
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

thats the best compliment i ever received here .... thanks Chad .. I hope you like the big K ... smple it a few times ok .. cheers mate .

SALES

Thrax... Mister Thrax... The Thraxmeister... Makin' friends with the Kouros...

It truly is a masterpiece, even if it be difficult at times. Right now I'm really enjoying my new bottle of Kouros Tattoo edition, as I said in a previous thread. If a person has any kind of fascination with Kouros but can't quite pull it off, Kouros Tattoo is just the thing.

Thrax, welcome to the Klub.

Lol, Kouros is an unappreciated gem by many. In the world and age of deciding from a spray on a card, very few give Kouros a chance. I first sprayed it on a card, and my girlfriend was like wtf is that! About 30min later she said I smelt good, little did she know, i'd sprayed some Kouros on my wrist when she wasn't looking !

I ve always loved Kouros ever since it was first released. It is totally unique and full of charisma. It is so unique, you cant really compare it with anything else, ( although I do find that Rive Gauche Pour Homme contains a hint of Kouros in its structure ).
    I dont get the piss connection AT ALL..............to me Kouros smells clean and I always associate it with that old fashioned smell of a mediterranean barber shop.

:wave:I admit to feeling a burning passion for the following three:

" ...Miss Dior - smells like the armpit of a woman who has not bathed in a week.
    Yatagan - is the odor of a European man removing his underwear in August.
    And both are now categorically unwearable except by the French.

Kouros
    - Today Kouros will get you expelled from a restaurant.
    It was launched in 1981. It is brutally not en phase..."

( quoted from : Chandler Burr, The Perfect Scent, page 249 ) :wave:
    Last edited by narcus; 17th February 2008 at 11:09 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I am going to wear it today in honor of Thrax and this thread. I am waiting for a bottle of Kouros Tattoo collector also based on Indie's reviews of it. It took me awhile to find the right dosage to work for me. 2 sprays on my chest, and 1 on the back of my hand so that I can smell it throughout the evolution.

Post Re: Kouros-What have I been missing??

The King Still Rules !!!
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Wink Re: Kouros-What have I been missing??

Also check out Kouros Fraicheur.. Just like the original. Much fresher!! .. Women just adore this one..

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

smeller

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    :wave:I admit to feeling a burning passion for the following three:

" ...Miss Dior - smells like the armpit of a woman who has not bathed in a week.
    Yatagan - is the odor of a European man removing his underwear in August.
    And both are now categorically unwearable except by the French.

Kouros
    - Today Kouros will get you expelled from a restaurant.
    It was launched in 1981. It is brutally not en phase..."

( quoted from : Chandler Burr, The Perfect Scent, page 249 ) :wave:

I can only feel pity for Chandler Burr. He doesn't know what he's talking about. Should spend some 2 or 3 years on this forum, at least.

The comments on Miss Dior and Yatagan are also revolting. Seems that all he can say is this commonplace "french/european people stinks".
    --------------------------------------
    Last edited by smeller; 17th February 2008 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Kouros is not THAT unique. It's creator, Pierre Bourdon, modeled it directly after Orange Spice by Creed. Kouros is nice, however, the heavy civet makes it unwearable in most modern day situations outside of the bedroom. Not coincidentally, Pierre Bourdon is also the nose behind Cool Water which is/was a blatant ripoff of Green Irish Tweed.
    Not a bad way to make a living by riding another man's coattails.

Welcome to the next level, Thrax. When I was growing up my dad wore this stuff and I always thought it smelled nice, but way too powerful for me. Later on, my younger brother began wearing it and it smelled absolutely incredible on him. I never got any of the urine notes either, it was a very masculine "clean"; the "clean" one gets after doing something not so clean.

It is in my top two and, like tv noted, I will never be without a bottle.

Just wait until the summertime. That's when the magic really happens.

Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    Thrax... Mister Thrax... The Thraxmeister... Makin' friends with the Kouros...

It truly is a masterpiece, even if it be difficult at times. Right now I'm really enjoying my new bottle of Kouros Tattoo edition, as I said in a previous thread. If a person has any kind of fascination with Kouros but can't quite pull it off, Kouros Tattoo is just the thing.

Thrax, welcome to the Klub.
    Thanks much, Indie! From what I've heard from you I'd really really really really like to try the tattoo version.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    With musk, honey, leather and patchouli as basenotes, Kouros surely has a very alluring drydown. I never really understood the overly dramatic "OMi GODz!! I Am SwiMMINg in CtaZ Pee!!" or "DOnT TRy ITZ yoUR NAZALz wil BLoW OUTZ!!!" sentiments so often expressed here on Kouros. And then there was the recent very silly article from Burr about how Kouros is so loaded with civet that it should only be worn by neanderthals ...pretty ridiculous considering how showering in the mindblowingly saccharine Lutens or the earth shaking heavy Ouds of Montale must have surely toughened up the nasal receptors of perfumer lovers to withstand the assault of mighty Kouros.
    You know, I have to agree. I can't believe Burr is paid to write ariticles and books based on his shotty ideals. There are plenty members here with better opinions. Sometimes we say far fetched things here and its all fun and games but when you take it to a higher platform and supposed to be doing this professionally, your opinion needs to be spot on with the average olfactive consensus. While some of us perceive smell slightly differently, this difference can be accounted for by physiological and mechanical outliers. For example, biological: Perhaps we have a cold, nose is stuffy, maybe our receptors in the olfactory bulb formed slightly different not allowing the chemical signals to perceive properly, etc. etc. I just got over the flu and while I had it, I didn't want to smell a thing and when I did, it was sickening. When I got over it, my head was clear and it seemed that I could pick up finer nuances previously not detected. An example of Mechanical might be error in the production of the fragrance or perhaps a nature error such a the juice turning which would cause a misguided reveiw. As individuals its ok to have different opinions but Burr is too wildly off mark with popular vote and he does indeed need to spend time here. No one knows fragrance like basenoters!

The devotion of Narcus and Dimitros to this much debated classic would make anyone want to order a bottle blindly! I have sample it a couple times in the mall. My first impression was of pee due to thick honey. I think the bottle was really old and had been there for a few years. I went to a new mall and sprayed. It was the most heavenly smell. I got the pink urinal cake association but it was not a turn off. That smell was the cleanest I have come across. As strange as it might sound, that is a good thing. My fear of ordering a bottle is that I would get more honey and note enough of that clean goodness. If I could be certain I would oreder today. Perhaps I should throw caution to the wind? I rather like the sport version as is safe but you know, if you are going to do Kouros, I think you need to do it right or not at all. Agree?