Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default How many of you out there like tuberose?

I am trying L'Artisan Tuberose and I am finding I really like it.

I have a sample of Carnal Flower coming in from Perfumed Court. How does that compare?
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naďve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Default Re: How many of you out there like tuberose?

Tell us about your experience with L'Artisan Tuberose...in other words, how about a brief review? Thanks.
    Current Wishlist: Vetiver Extraordinaire, Rousse & Opus 1870

I really like tuberose, but, unlike rose, I'm not sure if I can wear scents with prominent notes of it. I'm curious as to how Carnal Flower smells on skin as I've only smelled it on a scented card I received from Malle. It did seem quite awesome in that form though.

I can't say I know what tuberose smells like. Any descriptions?

Post Thanks / Like

I like Fracas but don't think I could wear it without "butching it up" with something else.
    How do you describe tuberose? hmmm...I'd say that it's not much like a rose, more like an animalic gardenia.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

I like tuberose too. Tubereuse Criminelle is my favourite tuberose fragrance.

I also cannot wear anything with a powerful floral note in it. I just think it smells too feminine for my liking.
    Current Wishlist: Vetiver Extraordinaire, Rousse & Opus 1870

I used to wear Michael, and have always loved Poeme, though I don't want to wear either right now. I'm actually looking for a more complex tuberose. Carnal Flower and Through the Lookingglass are high on my wishlist of scents to try!
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

I really dig the tuberose in SL's Un Cedre..

I can't speak about other tuberose fragrances..but I find the tuberose in this one to be very lush, sticky, gooey, slightly feral. It comes off as a thick, sweet, syrupy floral... It's hard to tell if the nature of the tuberose in Un Cedre has more to do with the note or the traditional indulent SL's handling of it!

a.
    Current Top 5: Timbuktu, Gris Clair, J. Cassanova, Zino, Rose Poivree

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lookingglass View Post
    I used to wear Michael, and have always loved Poeme, though I don't want to wear either right now. I'm actually looking for a more complex tuberose. Carnal Flower and Through the Lookingglass are high on my wishlist of scents to try!
    Miller Harris Noix de Tubereuse is a complex oriental featuring a tuberose note. To read more of my thoughts about this and other tuberose scents click here.

Post Thanks / Like

Florals are my favourite category, tuberose is no exception. But as NearFantastica mentioned; most tuberose scent are the sticky goey, overly sweet types that I don't usually go for...

Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013 View Post
    Miller Harris Noix de Tubereuse is a complex oriental featuring a tuberose note. To read more of my thoughts about this and other tuberose scents click here.
    I had a sample in my shopping cart at Luckyscent last week and thought, "aw...you don't need that one". Yeesh. Next time! Thanks for the push forward!
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

Post Thanks / Like

You may also want to sample Richard James!

Very complex and well balanced. Great sillage and longevity too.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Here's one for you guys. If you want a floral containing tuberose and lots of other interesting notes that is openly marketed for both men and women:

Etro Royal Pavilion
    Rose, Iris, Gardenia, Jasmine, Ylang-ylang, Mimosa, Violet, Tuberose, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Musk, Castoreum

The balance and blending of this scent make it frankly floral, but in spite of all the notes that we think of as "feminine" (but which also turn up here and there in all kinds of "masculine" scents), on a man it doesn't smell overly sweet. I don't know how they did it, but while most "men's" fragrances only include one or two of the florals tucked surreptitiously into the middle notes, Etro achieves a strange effect by piling up all of the usual floral suspects in one shared fragrance that works on both sexes.

Of course, if you're dead set against florals for guys, don't go near it. I'll bet if you're open-minded enough to give it a try though, you'll like it — if you can find it...
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cćlum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Post Thanks / Like

I like the smell of tuberose, but it makes all the "feminine smell" bells ring in my head. I read Turin's comment somewhere that Diptyque's Do Son was smoke and tuberose and I thought great, maybe it's one I can like and wear. But no go. It's a rotten thing, but it's a smell I love and love on women. Therefore my next girlfriend will wear Do Son, but I don't think I will.

That said, I've read that Floris Elite is a men's scent that uses tuberose. I own a bottle and a back up of it because the stuff is flat out eighties elegant glory. I can't pick out the tuberose in it, but the scent is great and the copy says it has tuberose. What can I say, but I wear the stuff and the feminine smell bells don't go off.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bromo33333 View Post
    I am trying L'Artisan Tuberose and I am finding I really like it.

I have a sample of Carnal Flower coming in from Perfumed Court. How does that compare?
    Ruggles got a bottle of the L'Artisan Tuberose and let me smell some - I can't say I liked it...I found it interesting and yes it has that oily, green feel that certain floral notes achieve. But overall I can't say I would buy it myself. In addition, I gave Ruggles my sample of Carnal Flower by Malle. I really liked the tuberose in it, but the coconut combination felt too uncomfortable to me. I'm not sure why?

A tuberose that I instantly loved and that also shows it floral and femininity LOUD and PROUD is Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia by Estee Lauder. Incredibly fresh, yet indolic - it manages to capture certain elements of sniffing an actual gardenia or tuberose on the vine very realistically. I have a gardenia plant in my front yard and PCTG is the real deal. The trick with this one is applying no more than 1-2 sprays.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I'm also a big of the Tuberose in Cedre - it's this glowing mentholated flower smell that is a great balance to the musk and woods. Unfortunately I don't know what Tuberose smells like on it's own!
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    CREED: Chevrefeuille, SMW, BdP, Aventus
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale
    YSL: Vintage M7

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Tuberose...the most opulent flower, I haven't reached the level to appreciate beauty of tuberose (I am still at Vetiver's level))

Fracas - too loud and vulgar
    Smelling my wrist with Carnal Flower on it - like a flower shop in Liberty. Must try
    Tubereuse Criminelle - I liked this one from the wax sample.
    Estee Lauder Tuberose Gardenia - rather nice, not overly sweet
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) F. Malle 1-19 2) Chanel Bel Respiro 3) TF Noir de Noir 4) Hermes Eau de Pamplemousse Rose

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel 3) Dominique Ropion

Post Thanks / Like

Tuberose? Ugh.

Too floral, too cloying - too TOO. There aren't many notes that I just can't suffer (blatant food notes being another), but tuberose is at the top of my no-go list. Just can't find a place for it. But on women, well, that's a different story...
    Last edited by Snafoo; 18th February 2008 at 10:54 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Very tropical, very lush, very sensual -- love it.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 18th February 2008 at 11:10 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Post Thanks / Like

I love tuberose and there are a few that are quite wearable for a man (well, not necessarily recommendable for the office), because they aren't too buttery-creamy-sweet (like many tuberose scents are).
    The above-mentioned Carnal Flower and Tubereuse Criminelle are great choices; another one I'd like to add tot he list is Beyond Love from the By Kilian line. It starts heavy and luscious with a green edge, then the tonka and musk notes come to the surface and turn it into a powdery, almost woody fragrance.
    Last edited by Gerald; 19th February 2008 at 08:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

BANDIT is one of my faves. There is a tuberose note in it but it doesn't come across a floral to me. I think the leather and oakmoss are what make it masculine enough for my tastes, but there is definitely that...pungent/exciting? tuberose quality.
    Last edited by argogos; 19th February 2008 at 10:24 PM.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by argogos View Post
    BANDIT is one of my faves. There is a tuberose note in it but it doesn't come across a floral to me. I think the leather and oakmoss are what make it masculine enough for my tastes, but there is definitely that...pungent/exciting? tuberose quality.
    Honestly, I can't say I smell tuberose in Bandit at all. If it's there, it is buried under a ton of leather (to my nose). I love Bandit and I can't wait to smell the parfum, but I don't think of tuberose when I think of Bandit. I think of dominatrixes and cigarettes.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 20th February 2008 at 12:58 AM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

I recently received 5 samples from L'Artisan (free but for shipping- check their website!) and tuberose was the one that really blew me away. It was pure, pungent greenhouse- and soaking wet. Despite the tagline "Fit for a diva," I found this fragrance very gender neutral, and far more jungle than ballroom.

It is definitely a "reality" scent, w/o much development, which is interesting to me because, unlike rose or lavender, I don't think most people have a clear emotional association with this scent. It doesn't really tell you how to feel about it.

I hope he doesn't mind my quoting him, but the comment below was posted by Ruggles on another thread, and its one of the most inspiring things I've read on Basenotes. I think it pertinent:

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Gender is a man made illusion. We are not "gangstas", "ho's" or "yuppies", we are all unique creations. So celebrate that and you'll be fine. I'm a 6 foot tall, athletic guy who likes tuberose. Flaunt it!

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoy tuberose in both mens and women's scents.
    Washington Tremlett's Black Tie is an excellent example.

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday I went by a shop with Miller Harris, Diptyque, and L'Artisan. I smelled the tuberose scent in each line, and I like Miller Harris's best by far. Drydown is heavy thick leather. Easy for a man to wear this one, but the opening is a bit candy-ish. Wow, the drydown is crazy leather though. I dig.

Do Son is next of my likes, it's airy and smokey, but a little to far away smelling. Too "aura." I'm not into L'Artisan's example, although Sailhorn is right, it's the greenest, at least of these three. A little sickly sweet too, to my nose. Strong though, and it smells like tuberose and sweetened apple juice. Not apple cider, but apple juice.

Miller Harris's though, that baby is complex.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't like tuberose, but can stomach it in some scents if it's well blended.

What I really can't stand is tuberose's usual teammate: gardenia.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought a bunch of white flowers for my house, for a party last weekend. When I brought them home, trimmed them and placed them in water I soon realized that I had just purchased fresh tuberose flowers.

If you all have never smelled a fresh cut tuberose flower, it is simply fantastic. So very indolic, it really had a oily animalic note bordering on that 'rubber' note many have mentioned. Smelled from afar (when the flowers were in the living room and I was standing in the kitchen) the smell was sensual and very intoxicating. Smelled up close, it became so animalic almost bordering on claustrophobic.

This has given me an entirely new perspective on enjoying the tuberose note. I might even wear my sample of Richard James tomorrow, that I've been saving.

i love tuberose on my wife and all the white indolic flowers in general. haven't considered wearing one myself, but i do buy them fresh to smell up my apartment. she recently got a sample of nasomatto's narcotic venus and it definitely has a narcotic effect on me!