Code of Conduct

Default Creed Private Collection Aubepine Acacia

Well, never one of my particular favourites (falls into the "quite nice" catagory for me), I know this one has some followers here. It sells for £195 for 250ml in the UK.

I have always wondered what aubepine is.

Consider these excerpts:

Aubepine Acacia

1)An envigorating and light blend of fresh Spanish bergamot, vibrant acacia and hawthorn with a flowery heart of mimosa on a base of ambergris.
    Creed fragrances.co.uk

2)Aubepine Acacia - a delicious and very traditional green floral with top notes of spring hawthorn, scent of the country hedges enhanced with powdery acacias and mimosa.
    Most refreshing and a return to an more gracious age. Highly recommended.
    Les senteurs web site

3)...he (Elena) took an old synthetic, Aubepine (an anisic aldehyde), which smells like a mix of finger paint you used at age five and cleaning wax applied to formica floors. Aubepine costs almost nothing, around three euros per kilo.

C. Burr: The Perfect Scent (2008) p105

Those other ingredients had better be VERY expensive.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 18th February 2008 at 06:43 PM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Default Re: Creed Private Collection Aubepine Acacia

This one smells stunning....on women. It has prominent floral heart notes which smell a tad too feminine to my nose. Aubepine might be responsible for the bug spray accord which makes an appearance 10 mins into the fragrance's evolution.

There are two kinds of mimosa: Acacia Farnesia (cassie absolute) and Acacia decurrens. Both have a slightly green character, but cassie absolute is more intensely floral while Acacia decurrens has a cucumber like fresh accord. Going by what I smell in Aubepine Acacia, its probably the cassie absolute which is the type of mimosa/acacia listed. Cassie absolute is expensive, so that probably contributes to the cost.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Aubepine costs almost nothing, around three euros per kilo.

C. Burr: The Perfect Scent (2008) p105

Those other ingredients had better be VERY expensive.
    Isn't that true for most if not all designer scents? Hopefully not niche as well! The mark-up for frags must be in the 1000's of percent.
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

Quote Originally Posted by somethinpositiv View Post
    Isn't that true for most if not all designer scents? Hopefully not niche as well! The mark-up for frags must be in the 1000's of percent.
    You are right, the synthetic might be cheaper than the natural oil. Aubepine in Aubepine Acacia refers to the hawthorn flowers. Anisique aldehyde is one component of hawthorn essential oil. More info here:

http://www.aromachemicals.basf.de/(1ocoaa55cla1mhvwq4utik55)/pdf/statements/Technical%20Information/Aroma/Anisic%20aldehyde_TI.pdf

Recall that Dior's Fahrenheit has a motor oil smell, and it contains strong hawthorn and honeysuckle notes.
    Last edited by zztopp; 19th February 2008 at 12:45 AM.
    -

I have a 1oz decant of AA from a kind Basenoter. Initially, I thought it very unisex but lately, it really leans toward feminine to me. The above bug spray reference is spot on. A green, floral, bug spray accord with some depth toward the drydown and a tinge of the Creed ambergris base but nothing like the Millesime's. I don't get anything powdery or aldehydic on my skin.
    I tried to get my wife to sample it but she literally runs out of the room on the mention of it. Both she and my daughter dislike it intensely.
    I haven't come across anything like it and maybe that's a good thing. I'm happy I have the 1oz and do wear it from time to time but I would not pay Creed Vintage prices for a full flacon.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    You are right, the synthetic might be cheaper than the natural oil. Aubepine in Aubepine Acacia refers to the hawthorn flowers. Anisique aldehyde is one component of hawthorn essential oil. More info here:

http://www.aromachemicals.basf.de/(1ocoaa55cla1mhvwq4utik55)/pdf/statements/Technical%20Information/Aroma/Anisic%20aldehyde_TI.pdf

Recall that Dior's Fahrenheit has a motor oil smell, and it contains strong hawthorn and honeysuckle notes.
    Natural hawthorn flowers also have a prominent aroma of almonds, which I think I detect in the Creed formulation. I wrote a review of this a while ago, and I said I thought it could be pulled off by a confident man. I have it and wear it occasionally. I have even worn it to work, and it didn't seem to raise any eyebrows (but then people there are used to me smelling "weird" I guess). The top note is very lemony, but if you get past it, the greenness of the acacia flowers takes off both the sweet edge of the hawthorn and the acid edge of the lemon: great balance, I think. Maybe not for everyone, but one of my favorite Creeds.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post

Ahh - it occurs naturally in the hawthorn. Thanks ZZ.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I`m very intrigued by this Aubepine Acacia. I`m wearing it today, and it seems on me to go in more classical citrus direction. The opening reminds me of Philtre d'Amour by Guerlain, with the bright, juicy citrus. I`m also intrigued that the citrus aroma does last more than an hour on me - and gives space to what seems like a similar base of eau d`rochas - salty patchouly and amber. It seems well done, but it doesn`t inspire me to buy a full bottle.

Does anyone detects a note that reminds of beach in this one? I heard this comment this morning by my mom. She told me that my fragrance of today, in the case Aubepine Acacia, had something that remind her of beach.