Code of Conduct

Default Why don't more men's fragrances have almond notes?

So, doing a basenotes directory search, I found that only three (3!) masculine fragrances list "almond" in some form as one of its notes. There are seven unisex fragrances and 31 feminine fragrances that have almond in them. My question is, why do so few men's fragrances use almond? In terms of bath and toiletry supplies, almond is a pretty common scent, even for male-specific items (like shaving lather soap). But from the look of things, even if basenotes doesn't list some fragrances, it seems to be highly underutilized in the men's fragrance field. Why is that? Is it considered too common of a scent? Are there difficulties with isolating almond scent that makes it difficult to produce?

I think that almond is a wonderfully versatile scent that has the potential to "play nice" with lots of other notes. Although some designers seem to lean on the sweeter side of almond, I don't think there's anything particularly masculine or feminine about almond. Being a food item, it obviously has foodie/gourmand elements, but not drastically so like coffee or chocolate. There's something about the nuttiness that translates into "earthiness" to my nose. And it bespeaks a natural clean to me, which is perhaps why it's so frequently used in bath products (although there might be some chicken and egg stuff going on here).

I really wish more men's fragrances used almond as a key fragrance note. Anyone with me?

Default Re: Why don't more men's fragrances have almond notes?

What's wrong with the Unisex ones? I like them, though they all seem to have a Loukhoum/Loukoum theme. Between the 3 masculines and 7 unisex that you listed, I'm sure you can find 1 that you like, and that's all you need, right?
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

The main reason almond isn't used more often in fragrances is that it overpowers everything else it's mixed with. The only thing it commonly goes well with is vanilla. That's why you'll generally see almond only as a stand-alone, single note scent.
    Currently digging: Le Labo Rose 31 and Oud oils.

its prominent in Paco rabbance XS extreme (girl) - my wife uses it..

as for male - i guess Austin reed has a almond, vanilla & honey drydown...i have also read here about how it is similar to chanel allure sport (if im not mistaken)..i never had allure, so cant comment

I find that Burberry Brit has a real barbershop almond note going with it which i love....but i couldnt agree with you more. Most of the unisex almond frags are laden with coconut, cherry or vanilla and usually sway more to the feminine side. If you find a predominantly masculine sweet almond oil frag, let me know because im looking!
    Last edited by jdnba; 18th February 2008 at 07:42 PM.

If I am not mistaken, Trumpers (Geo F Trumper) may do something Almond in a fragrance, as I have an almond shaving creme sample off them

The best way to simulate the smell of almonds is the use of tonka bean, Unfortunately, tonka beans contain coumarin, a blood thinner, and for this reason its use in food is banned in the US by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Coumarin is an anti-coagulant and can be lethal in large doses. It can also easily be absorbed through the skin. Many anti-coagulant prescription drugs are based on more powerful forms of coumarin. Tonka is usually paired with sandalwood to smooth it over.

Quote Originally Posted by storyends View Post
    In terms of bath and toiletry supplies, almond is a pretty common scent, even for male-specific items (like shaving lather soap). But from the look of things, even if basenotes doesn't list some fragrances, it seems to be highly underutilized in the men's fragrance field. Why is that? Is it considered too common of a scent? Are there difficulties with isolating almond scent that makes it difficult to produce?
    Although there are some brands which carry almond scented shaving creams, I wouldn't rank almond alongside other scents such as sandalwood, lavender, lime and other citruses as a traditional male scent. I guess it comes down to society enforced gender boundaries; (until recently) like vanilla and certain florals, it wasn't considered a masculine enough note. With that said, I haven't seen many examples (except for the cherry-almond Lakhoum scents) where it brings any distinctive character to a fragrance. With that said I would be interested in a fragrance with notes of civet, bitter almond and castoreum...lets call it Poison pour homme

p.s. I just noticed that you have been a Basenotes member since Jul 2003! That makes you more senior than 95% of the current Basenotes regulars - were you around when Basenotes was a Yahoo! group?
    -

Quote Originally Posted by jdnba View Post
    I find that Burberry Brit has a real barbershop almond note going with it which i love....but i couldnt agree with you more. Most of the unisex almond frags are laden with coconut, cherry or vanilla and usually sway more to the feminine side. If you find a predominantly masculine sweet almond oil frag, let me know because im looking!
    how did i miss that! almond all the way!

I dig the almond in M7 because it is a dry, nutty aroma. I generally destest most other scents I have smelled almond in as it reflected a wet, milky note which I found headachy and nauseating.

It seems that Profumum Antico Caruso has almond - I think? A very nice scent!

...or one has, it will be discontinued. L"Artisan's Jour de Fete is a great -albeit marketed as unisex- almond scent, which can safely be worn by men. Being discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    It seems that Profumum Antico Caruso has almond - I think? A very nice scent!
    I concur. Almond is very present in this one.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

cologne blanche - christian dior?!
    wishlist:
    Chanel - Cuire de Ruissie and Eau de Cologne
    Penhaligons - Quercus, Castille, and Raquets
    Dior -Eau Noire, Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Sweet Sun
    Frédéric Malle - Angelique sous la pluie and Eau d'Hiver
    L'Artisan - l'eau de l'artisan and bois farine
    Hermès - Elixir des Merveilles, Jardin sur Nil, and Hermessence Confret.

Have you tried "Aqcua di Parma - Blu Mediterraneo (Mandorlo di Sicilia)"...for me the best almond fragrance, but it´s also unisex. Don´t matter.

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    The best way to simulate the smell of almonds is the use of tonka bean, Unfortunately, tonka beans contain coumarin, a blood thinner, and for this reason its use in food is banned in the US by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Coumarin is an anti-coagulant and can be lethal in large doses. It can also easily be absorbed through the skin. Many anti-coagulant prescription drugs are based on more powerful forms of coumarin. Tonka is usually paired with sandalwood to smooth it over.
    The amount of coumarin in fragrances is miniscule and you'd have to drink a hell of a lot of perfume for the coumarin to have any significant blood thinning affects on you. And even then it wouldn't amount to much unless there was something seriously wrong with you. If the FDA wasn't completely corrupt it would spend its time banning the use of serious poisons like Aspartame which is used in massive quantities in thousands of food products.

????didn´t you read my comment???? It´s a pour Almond Scent: Aqcua di Parma - Blu Mediterraneo (Mandorlo di Sicilia) Almond straight from Sicilia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p-natra wins! i love the blu mediterraneo scents
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

actually the almond smell in scents is due to the use of heliotrope or benzoin and not to tonka bean. Very nice almond scents I reccomend are Etro Heliotrope and Pi which many people think of being a vanilla scent when instead it's all about resind, benzoin with almondy vibe. Also Cologne blanche is a very good suggestion.

My favorite is Mandorlo form Acqua di Parma's Blue Med. Line.....I do understand your question and feel that this is a good question.....Gary

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Although there are some brands which carry almond scented shaving creams, I wouldn't rank almond alongside other scents such as sandalwood, lavender, lime and other citruses as a traditional male scent. I guess it comes down to society enforced gender boundaries; (until recently) like vanilla and certain florals, it wasn't considered a masculine enough note.
    Each of the "big" British manufacturers of traditional shaving creams has an almond in its product line (and it does not get any more "traditional" than these players -- especially the "Three T's):
    • Coates: Almond, Lavender, Lime, Rose, Sandalwood, and Tea Tree
    • Cyril R. Salter: Almond, Citrus, Limes, Mint, Rose, Sandalwood, and Vetiver
    • Geo F. Trumper: Almond, Coconut, Limes, Rose, Sandalwood, and Violet
    • Taylor of Old Bond Street: Almond, Avocado, Lavender, Lemon & Lime, Rose, and Sandalwood
    • Trufitt and Hill: Almond, Lavender, West Indian Limes, Rose, and Sandalwood

These manufacturers have been in-business since the early years of the 19th century, and show no signs of leaving the playing field.

I just today received a sample of Acqua di Parma's Mandorlo di Sicilia EDP -- it smells quite nice. Here is a list of its ingredients:

Head notes: Frangiapane, orange blossom, Star Anise, bergamot, green almond
    Heart notes: Aniseed, white peach, coffee accord, white jasmine
    Base notes: Bourbon vanilla, white musk, cedarwood, sandalwood

Nevertheless, I just purchased a gift set of Burberry Brit (3.3oz each of the EDT, ASB, and shower gel), on eBay, for $47.49 (including S/H) -- hat-tip to jdnba!

Yes, JBHoren hits on what I'm talking about. It's not hard to find toiletry products with almond, but it seems to be more difficult to find a men's fragrance or unisex fragrance that uses almond prominently. Not that it's non-existent--just more rare than one might expect.

Thanks for the heads up on the Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo Mandorlo Siciliano. There is no fragrance pyramid, so that's why it didn't show up on the basenotes search. Chandler Burr reviewed it pretty recently and gave it three stars (which qualifies as "breathtaking" in his system). I'll have to give it a try.
    http://themoment.blogs.nytimes.com/2...cqua-di-parma/

Quote Originally Posted by storyends View Post
    Yes, JBHoren hits on what I'm talking about. It's not hard to find toiletry products with almond, but it seems to be more difficult to find a men's fragrance or unisex fragrance that uses almond prominently. Not that it's non-existent--just more rare than one might expect.

Thanks for the heads up on the Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo Mandorlo Siciliano. There is no fragrance pyramid, so that's why it didn't show up on the basenotes search. Chandler Burr reviewed it pretty recently and gave it three stars (which qualifies as "breathtaking" in his system). I'll have to give it a try.
    http://themoment.blogs.nytimes.com/2...cqua-di-parma/
    it might be breathtaking to him, but it was overkill for me....i tried it at saks and i just did not like it in the lest bit...it doesnt smell like almond really....i was extremely disappointed....im still lookinf for a sweet almond oil frag....in vain.

i find all of the blu mediterraneo scents i've tried so far great interpretations of their topics, but they're pretty... in your face.
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors