Code of Conduct

Default 2008 price raises on their way?

Yesterday, I was looking through Aedes and discovered that the price of regular export-line Serge Lutens EdPs have been raised to 120 bucks and L'Artisan 50ml EdTs to 95. Checked on the L'Artisan website, and it looks like the official recommended retail price on their frags has been raised by $10 indeed. I don't know if prices for anything else has gone up on Aedes, since I don't have the price of everything they carry memorized, but as far as I know, it seems like only SL and L'Artisan prices have been changed (Diptyque, Etro and MPG, the prices of which I do remember, have not... yet)

So far, it seems only Aedes has reflected the price changes in their catalogue, because everywhere else I checked SLs are still 110 and L'Artisan 50ml 85. But I'm guessing other retailers will soon follow suit, so it may be wise to stock up on before the price raises become universal.

And just to comment, the recent price trends in the niche market are quite ridiculuous frankly... Some fragrance companies have raised their prices by 30-45% in the last 3 years (yes, I'm talking to you, messieurs at L'Artisan!)
    Last edited by heythatslife; 5th February 2008 at 02:37 PM.

Default Re: 2008 price raises on their way?

You can't really ignore the weakness of the dollar against the Euro
    http://finance.yahoo.com/currency/co...USD&amt=1&t=5y

When it comes to increases in fragrance prices.

But I also noticed that the volume of bottles gos down - many recent scents are produced in 90 or 80 ml bottles instead of 100 ml, and 40 ml instead of 50 ml
    At least designer brands.

Yeah - this is how they cope with a weak dollar.

They are faced with tough times - you cannot pass the price entirely on to the US customers without decimating your sales. I mean $85 -> $95 when the the Euro went from abtou 1 to 1 all the way to 1.5:1.

So a combination of smaller sizes and slightly higher prices will preserve them until the currencies stabilize . . .

I hate a weak dollar.
    ===
    [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me nave, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross. ~ David Sedaris

So, do you guys think the prices will then go back down, when the dollar gets stronger again?

Quote Originally Posted by Boal View Post
    But I also noticed that the volume of bottles gos down - many recent scents are produced in 90 or 80 ml bottles instead of 100 ml, and 40 ml instead of 50 ml
    At least designer brands.
    Fromm 100ml to 50 ml in the case of Mr.A. Tauer
    Quote Originally Posted by drifting View Post
    You can't really ignore the weakness of the dollar against the Euro ...when it comes to increases in fragrance prices.
    But where are the cheaper (or bigger) bottles from Calvin Klein (R. Lauren, Esther Lauder...) in European stores ?
    Last edited by narcus; 9th February 2008 at 11:46 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Riviera dei Fiori near Sanremo and Alassio

In Europe, with euro, prices are raising too!!! Angélique noire Guerlain 150--->155
    And perfumes standard prices are more high than in USA.
    In Italy:

CK1 100 ml (3,4 oz) 37 eu
    Woman in rose 49 eu
    L'artisan 95 eu
    Goutal 95 eu
    Last edited by nyneve; 10th February 2008 at 05:50 AM.
    A, quales ego mane rosas procedere vidi!
    Nascebantur adhuc neque erat par omnibus aetas.

L'artisan fragrances are still more affordable than Lutens or Creed fragrances.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    Fromm 100ml to 50 ml in the case of Mr.A. Tauer
    with the price remaining exactly the same, which was a coup in the fragrance business and did not go without notice immediately. I love the guy but that was priceless.

As far as I could see - selective brands costs less in luckyscents than in Europe
    And I even would not show you the price rise in Russia.
    Like, we could not buy Amouage from official web-site - we should buy it from official distributor in Moscow (two times more expensive)...
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    So, do you guys think the prices will then go back down, when the dollar gets stronger again?
    Yea right...it'll be just like fuel prices....a huge spike and then lower to something higher than where it started but everybody is happy because it is lower the spike. RIDICULOUS..
    Current Wishlist: Vetiver Extraordinaire, Rousse & Opus 1870

It should be noted that MPG, which is a great house, has actually lowered their prices recently by changing their bottle size from 90 ml to 100 ml while keeping their price the same!

Hermes Boutiques in the last two weeks raised their prices on their exclusive Hermessence collection
    fragrances from $192 to $210 for a 100ml Spray. Ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Hermes Boutiques in the last two weeks raised their prices on their exclusive Hermessence collection
    fragrances from $192 to $210 for a 100ml Spray. Ouch!
    So long as people are willing to pay the prices, they will charge what the market will bear. The kind of people who would drop $192 for 100ml of perfume are probably not bothered by an increase to $210. And if that sort of increase crimps your wallet, you probably shouldn't be shopping at Hermes to begin with.

Personally I think the increase in the price of Hermes beach towels from $470 to $510 is much more troubling.

http://usa.hermes.com/webapp/wcs/sto...10895&nbItem=0

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    But where are the cheaper (or bigger) bottles from Calvin Klein (R. Lauren, Esther Lauder...) in European stores ?
    But you realize you're not missing anything. That is nothing to complain about.
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances