Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Scents that are rugged, masculine, and sensual

I consider fragrances such as Chrome and Dolce and Gabbana PH to be those things. What are some others?

Default Re: Scents that are rugged, masculine, and sensual

Opium
    LP 9
    and Bandit (not quite as rugged as the other two.)
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Well, I wouldn't consider either rugged or particularly masculine, especially D&G ph.
    But if you do, you should try:
    Chrome:
    Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Dunhill Fresh

D&G ph:
    Boucheron Jaipur homme
    Givenchy Pi for men

Maybe my olfactory receptors are not in tune but Chrome and D&G are about the furthest things from rugged I can think of. The only ones I can equate to those values are:

Aramis for men
    Montale Greyland

Again, it's probably just me.

Rive Gauche, Envy, Obsession... pretty much any 'oriental' or 'woody' affair.

Havana / Reserva
    Loewe Para Hombre

Quote Originally Posted by leor_77 View Post
    I consider fragrances such as Chrome and Dolce and Gabbana PH to be those things.
    Personally, I wouldn't consider them rugged at all. Maybe my standards are a little skewed due to the fragrances I wear, but I would consider those fairly "soft" fragrances.

Rive Gauche
    Kouros
    Scent Intense

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

I guess different people have different opinions on what is "rugged," so let's just keep this to masculine and sensual. And I do believe that both Dolce and Gabbana PH and Chrome are unequivocally masculine scents. If you dont think so, there might be something wrong with you.

Dior Jules
    YSL Kouros
    Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme
    Ted Lapidus Pour Homme (1978)
    Carlo Corinto Vetyver
    Loewe Pour Homme
    Rochas Macassar
    Caron Yatagan
    Last edited by pluran; 7th March 2008 at 01:40 AM.

Hermès BEL AMI is sensual, masculine, extremely woody. For me, it's the perfect scent, furthermore it is named after one of the best 19th century novels from Guy de Maupassant ;-)
    Last edited by transmaniacon; 19th February 2008 at 07:47 AM.

Cool Re: Scents that are rugged, masculine, and sensual

Quote Originally Posted by lasta View Post
    Maybe my olfactory receptors are not in tune but Chrome and D&G are about the furthest things from rugged I can think of. The only ones I can equate to those values are:

Aramis for men
    Montale Greyland

Again, it's probably just me.

No. You are not alone.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Rive Gauche by YSL
    or
    French Lover by Frederic Malle
    or
    Bois du Portugal by Creed
    or
    Old Spice (no joke)

I guess different people have different opinions on what is "rugged," so let's just keep this to masculine and sensual. And I do believe that both Dolce and Gabbana PH and Chrome are unequivocally masculine scents. If you dont think so, there might be something wrong with you.
    I guess there is something wrong with me then, because when I think of unequivocally masculine scents I think of ones women couldn't pull off wearing, and D&G pH and Azzaro Chrome don't fit that bill.

Post Re: Scents that are rugged, masculine, and sensual

Rive Gauche is an excellent suggestion. Rugged and masculine sensuality is a strange combination of attributes in my books, that just makes it an interesting and good question. Maybe Trumper's Eucris - although it might not be sensual enough to qualify. Eau d'Hermes is rugged and sensual, but not masculine. Trumper's Spanish Leather came to mind immediately, yet it might be a bit too soft to be considered rugged. This is difficult...

...Vintage Tabarome?! Yes! That's my answer!

Not so rugged, but masculine and sensual it is: Antidote by V&R.

The drydown of Grey Flannel also fits. Iris Bleu Gris by MPG is also quite sensual and yet still masculine for an iris based scent.

I'll add Villoresi Vetiver and Patchouli, Creed Baie de Genievre, Bogart One Man Show.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Check these..

Aramis 900
    Alfred sung homme
    Xeryus
    Fahrenheit
    Gucci
    Van Cleef & Arpels
    Kouros
    Zino
    Givenchy Gentlemen
    Paco Rabanne Original
    Pierre Cardin
    Cacharel Pour Homme
    Last edited by deck89; 19th February 2008 at 10:13 AM.

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

I'm with the group so far, I can't see what you see in Chrome...

From D&G, you should try Roma by Laura Biagiotti

From my own sense and wardrobe, give Santos de Cartier and Halston Z-14 a try.

Dior Homme and Prada Amber Homme
    I like, I buy, I wear

Quote Originally Posted by Mokkie View Post
    Dior Homme and Prada Amber Homme
    You've got an interesting idea of masculine (I should add that I really enjoy Prada, but wouldn't dare call it overtly masculine.)

Wasnt dior homme mentioned in a thread 'suggest a feminine scent' a day or so ago?

That's an odd sentiment, considering that the consensus of nearly all respondents to this post think otherwise.

You're referring to qualities that are subjective in the extreme and which are defined by general consensus. A rose is a rose - because it's a rose whether we're around to say so or not. But masculine? Ask someone from SoHo what masculine is, then ask someone from my neck of the woods, and I guarantee you'll get two VERY different answers. Add me to the list that think Chrome and D&G are not exemplars of the qualities you listed. And for the record, Dior Homme is so far from masculine that it's not even on the radar. I love DH and own it, but masculine it's not.

Rugged, Masculine, Sensual?

Leave off Sensual and you've got: Chanel Antaeus & PM, Paco Rabanne, Knize Ten, Fahrenheit, French Lover, and Old Spice (good call, P-Natra!).

Leave off Rugged and you've got: Guerlain Habit Rouge, Heritage & Vetiver, most all older Creed formulations.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 19th February 2008 at 05:16 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Like previous posters have pointed out, it's a difficult combination of 3 attributes.

Certainly rugged and masculine can go together, but sometimes (not always) that excludes sensual (eg Polo). Even rugged and masculine don't always go together, as I'd say some classic masculine ones mentioned, like BdP and VCA PH, are to me more smooth than rugged.

So ones that satisfy all 3 criteria, for me, are:

Rive Gauche
    Azzaro
    Kouros
    Fahrenheit

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Perhaps not rugged, but the first frag I think of is Acier Aluminium. Certainly masculine and very sensual IMO.

If you leave off "sensual" - I would rank Yatagan up there. Rugged and Masculine no doubt. But NOT sensual.

Masculine and Rugged as in "Beating up and taking the lunch money of those weaker than itself."
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 19th February 2008 at 03:30 PM.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

I'll add another - RL Safari.
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Basenotes Institution

Leaving off the 'rugged' category, I'd say Tuscany by Aramis. Another that comes to mind is Tom Ford Extreme.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 19th February 2008 at 03:21 PM.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Different perception
    Chrome is in the same family as CK One wich was, IMO, the most succesful (marketed as) unisex scent of the 90's.
    Dolce and Gabbana is masculine, but metrosexual. A man that reads fashion magazines and uses a mirror for a lot more things than just shaving. Masculine with a suit and tie or polo shirt or something similar. Not muscular, kicking butt and takning names kind of man. Nor it is Godfather-007 kind of masculine.

I think John Varvatos fits the bill! It's one of the most sensual fragrances of that type!
    "Faites des bêtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

+1 for Kouros, Aramis, Fahrenheit, Knize Ten, Azzaro PH and Old Spice.

I would suggest:

Halston Z-14
    Quorum
    Jacomo de Jacomo
    Pino Silvestre
    MPG Parfum D'Habit
    MPG Eau Des Iles
    Polo Green
    Terre D'Hermes (not impossible for women to wear, but the most modern one I can think of that would meet all three criteria for me)
    Eau D'Hermes (another from this house, see above parentheses)
    Francesco Smalto PH
    any bay rum (I have not yet tried these, but Royall, Dominica and St. Johns are reputed to be among the best)
    Royall Lyme (one of the more rugged citruses I can think of)
    Loves of Late: Agua Lavanda, Eau Sauvage, Gendarme, Guerlain Vetiver, Guerlain EdC Imperiale, Ivoire de Balmain, Kenzo PH, Mitsouko, Royall Lyme, Tabac Original

YSL Kouros
    Carlo Corinto Vetiver

and what about Egoiste Platinum?
    Last edited by Delmar; 19th February 2008 at 03:58 PM. Reason: another one came to mind!

If the question is 'rugged' then I don't see why leave off rugged...but that's just me.
    I agree with Varvatos, would add Dali PH, LV Piper Nigrum, Basala.
    In a sense Fleur du Male.

PARFUM D'HABIT
    POLO GREEN
    KOUROS

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Salvatore Ferragamo PH
    Shiseido Basala
    Rive Gauche
    M7
    Opium
    Rochas Lui

I haven't tried it yet, but samples are on the way.

Royale Heroes by Washington Tremlett

Quoted from Luckyscent's description:

A magnificent combination of rugged masculinity and sophistication, the perfume blends rich, warm notes of tonka, patchouli and cedarwood with the striking spiciness of cloves and anise. The honeyed quality that comes from the pairing of mandarin and tonks bean is positively mouthwatering. Fans of Merchant Loup and D'Orsay le Dandy will be delighted.

A lot of scents have been mentioned. I'll add Gucci Rush, Azzaro Visit or Hermes Rocabar. I think they touch on all three requirements.

Blog Entries

Chrome and DG PH are far from being "rugged". They are just as rugged as Aqua Di Gio. In my book, something will have to throw you back at first sniff in order to qualify as rugged. Caron Yatagan it is! Or if you want it to be sensual as well, then go for Jacomo de Jacomo.

Please consider Opus 1870 (Penhaligon's).

Creed Epicea smells rugged and sensual like the pine trees and is masculine as all hell.

Costume National Scent Intense - i dare someone tell me that this scent isnt masculine or rugged or sensual.

Body Kouros.....read above.

Musc Ravageur - i know its supposed to be 'unisex' but this one screams sensuality first second and third with masculinity and ballsy ruggedness following behind.

Michael Kors for men.....you have to have at least 5 oclock shadow to wear this bad boy.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Body Kouros isn't rugged or particularly masculine. It's quite sweet and honestly it's drydown is rather unisex. It's a decent scent but too heavy and thick and as some others have mentioned, has a 'flat soda' character to it.

It IS quite sensual though. I should probably put my bottle on the chopping block as I just don't wear this one anymore.

andy tauer, lonestar memories...

and the big daddy? black aoud....
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Even rugged and masculine don't always go together, as I'd say some classic masculine ones mentioned, like BdP and VCA PH, are to me more smooth than rugged.
    I've done some pretty rugged sh*t while wearing a little Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromo33333 View Post
    If you leave off "sensual" - I would rank Yatagan up there. Rugged and Masculine no doubt. But NOT sensual.
    My gf thinks it's profoundly sensual.

I would also place Creed Royal Scottish Lavender, Vintage Tabarome and Vetiver '48 as rugged, sensual scents that only a man could possibly pull off. Nothing remotely unisex here at all IMO.

or you could beleive the marketing and go for polo explorer...

or, you know. not.
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

^Yeah, I was very dissapointed by the sweet powdery note in the drydown in Explorer.
    The top notes were Ok, but that drydown is not Masculine or rugged.

Anyways, if you're not looking for scents with similar profiles as Chrome or D&G, and want real rugged, masculine scent, Vintage Tabarome is probably the best bet. It's all strong, natural Tobacco to start, and fades into a smooth spicy and sweet drydown. 100% Masculine.
    Also, once the loud sour citrus falls out from Terre D'Hermes, the rugged "bombed building note" is there.
    Guerlain Vetiver Extreme is also fairly rugged.

But if you want similar to Chrome and D&G ph, test those in my earlier post.
    Last edited by DULLAH; 20th February 2008 at 12:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I haven't tried it yet, but samples are on the way.

Royale Heroes by Washington Tremlett

Quoted from Luckyscent's description:

A magnificent combination of rugged masculinity and sophistication, the perfume blends rich, warm notes of tonka, patchouli and cedarwood with the striking spiciness of cloves and anise. The honeyed quality that comes from the pairing of mandarin and tonks bean is positively mouthwatering. Fans of Merchant Loup and D'Orsay le Dandy will be delighted.
    Make sure you tell us all about this one when you have a chance to sample it a couple of times.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    ^Yeah, I was very dissapointed by the sweet powdery note in the drydown in Explorer.
    The top notes were Ok, but that drydown is not Masculine or rugged.

100% agreed....i tried polo explorer so many times and hoped that the drydown would be anything like its initial notes....but that sweet syrupy drydow almost made me nautious.....wore it one time and never again...

by the way...a full bottle of Polo Explorer is for trade!
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Bel Ami is all of these things and then some.

Chanel Antaeus fits the bill IMO.

From the ones that I own :

Rugged/Masculine : Dior Fahrenheit, Azzaro PH, Baldessarini (not rugged, but masculine.. I couldn't imagine a woman pulling this one off), Fendi Life Essence, YSl L'Homme

Sensual : John Varvatos, Azzaro SilverBlack (masculine AND sensual, atleast to me ), Aigner Black for men

There may be more but those are off the top of my head.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Any 80's perfume or smells like the 80's ---- Paco Rabanne Pour Home, Esencia Loewe.....

Joseph Abboud (maybe not sensual)

Kiton Men is all you need!

Patou pour Homme

French Lover by Fredric Malle

Profumum Fumidus ( thought I feel Indian vetiver oil does a better job )

The 1st scent that came to mind was Polo Explorer by RL.
    Gary

I don't mind saying that I like Armani Attitude. Could it be?

I don't think any Armani scent is rugged

Romeo Gigli Sud Est fits.