Code of Conduct

Default please don't throw anything at me, other than suggestions..for I bruise easily..

I needed the perspective of folks on the other side of the gender spectrum...

Though I am an 'avid' fan of men's fragrances... the majority of women's perfumes I come across (mainly in designer) stores come off as almost painfully strong - even in the smallest- doses... perhaps it has to do with the EDP strength of most of the women's fragrances...

What I would love..are some recs of perfumes that don't fall into that overly saccharine/floral/strong..nose stingy zone!

I am quite well schooled in many of the Niche unisex offerings (ie, Artisans, SL, Diptyque) but I was hoping someone could suggest a few designer fragrances that provide the antithesis of the over-sugared, synthetic floral/generic fragrant bombs that have been hitting the market...

I know that my request is fairly vague but I would love to be pushed in the right direction!

Thanks in advance,

Anthony (aka NF)
    Last edited by NearFantastica; 19th February 2008 at 05:31 AM.
    Current Top 5: Timbuktu, Gris Clair, J. Cassanova, Zino, Rose Poivree

Default Re: please don't throw anything at me, other than suggestions..for I bruise easily..

I'm not one of the gals, but I can suggest YSL's Opium. I have the EdT and it's a thing of wonder. Genderless and sexy as hell in the dry down.

Default Re: please don't throw anything at me, other than suggestions..for I bruise easily..

Prada Infusion d'Iris
    Hermès Hiris

Both are dry and elegant iris scents.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

While I do like sweet, I'm not drawn to floral and/or strong (Flowerbomb notwithstanding, which is neither flower nor power, imo).

My suggestion is for Bulgari - Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge.

Notes from OsMoz:
    Top note: Pink Pepper, Seville Orange, Bergamot
    Middle note: ‘Roiboos’ Red Tea, ‘Yunnan’ Red Tea, Fig
    Base note: Walnut, Musk, Balsamic Notes

Also Eau Parfumée au Thé Blanc and Eau Parfumée au Thé Vert, in that order.
    Last edited by tang; 19th February 2008 at 06:18 AM.

Shalimar
    Feminite du Bois
    Chanel No 5 (especially parfum extrait)
    Bois des Iles
    Eau de Patou
    Agent Provocateur
    Bandit
    Cabochard
    Un Jardin Sur Le Nil
    Last edited by Artisankey; 19th February 2008 at 06:16 AM.
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

Jean Couturier Coriandre EDT
    Gres Cabochard EDP
    Chanel Cuir de Russie parfum
    Hermes Eau des Merveilles/Parfum des Merveilles
    Last edited by pluran; 20th February 2008 at 06:13 AM.

Halston Classic soapy and woody.
    Fendi Palizza(sp) again soapy, think that is why the sa's dislike it. LOL
    Calache classic a green aldehyde

You really need to try Mitsouko, it works wonderfully on men.

I also agree with the Prada Iris and Feminite du Bois.
    Last edited by donna255; 19th February 2008 at 09:04 AM.
    DONNA

You have quite a nice collection - the majority of which are NOT shrinking violets.

Are you looking for suggestions for yourself or - um - a lady friend?

You've got Issey Miyaki - try her Eau for women. Ditto Lalique - Lalique de Lalique or Tendre Kiss. De Nicolai? Try Sacrebleu.

Let us know what you try and like. Pliz!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Darling, you've just described my experience with brick-and-mortar shopping. As the gals here will attest, I've been on the journey for the gentle, and there's a reason why Nanadebary Green (icon above) is the link to my wardrobe. I've learned that women's scents in the "green" category often represent smart and affable fragrances. Recently I fell for Molinard de Molinard and rediscovered Terracotta Voile d'Ete (thanks to my BN buddies here). I like a number of the unisex offerings, too: Black Vetyver Cafe, Mandragore, Jicky, Dzing! There isn't much I can recommend in the designer category--sorry.
    Last edited by Quarry; 19th February 2008 at 01:52 PM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Smile Re: please don't throw anything at me, other than suggestions..for I bruise easily..

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    While I do like sweet, I'm not drawn to floral and/or strong (Flowerbomb notwithstanding, which is neither flower nor power, imo).

My suggestion is for Bulgari - Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge.

Notes from OsMoz:
    Top note: Pink Pepper, Seville Orange, Bergamot
    Middle note: ‘Roiboos’ Red Tea, ‘Yunnan’ Red Tea, Fig
    Base note: Walnut, Musk, Balsamic Notes

Also Eau Parfumée au Thé Blanc and Eau Parfumée au Thé Vert, in that order.
    I second tang's recommendations and would like to add ~

Annick Goutal. I'm not a huge fan, but for all the reasons I think her frags might work for you! Give them a try, they are quality for sure. Definitely not overly sweet or pungent. Come to think of it, Keiko Mecheri might have a few winners for you as well, although a bit difficult to find. Best of luck!

2nd the Annick Goutal suggestion! Also, check out L'Occitane. I'm sampling Cologne Sologne by Parfums de Nicolai today and it is a gorgeous light unisex scent, so are Un Jardin Sur le Nil and Un Jardin en Mediterranee by Hermes.

One of the biggest designer frags of the last couple of years : SJP's Lovely. It's classy, wearable, suitable for all ages and genders. Not run of the mill at all.
    WISHLIST: Tokyo Milk Honey & the Moon, Brooklyn Bunny Lettuce
    "Another way to take up more space is to wear perfume. I really love wearing perfume." ANDY WARHOL
    DETROIT RED WINGS: RULING THE HOCKEY UNIVERSE SINCE 1927

Magie Noire

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Thanks for all the help everyone! One of my close female friends douses herself in Pink Sugar, year round.. and among my group of friends it has become quite a bone of contention. Before tactfully approaching the situations I was thinking of having a few other scents I could recommend (along with going a little lighter on the application - though I am certainly no saint in this respect)

they say "if you are going to identify an issue, at least have a few solutions in your pocket"... I certainly do now.. thanks again

a.
    Current Top 5: Timbuktu, Gris Clair, J. Cassanova, Zino, Rose Poivree

Riviera dei Fiori near Sanremo and Alassio

Cristalle Chanel
    Parfums Montale
    Diorella
    Aqua Motu CSP
    Guerlain A Allegoria Mentafolia
    A, quales ego mane rosas procedere vidi!
    Nascebantur adhuc neque erat par omnibus aetas.

Quote Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
    Thanks for all the help everyone! One of my close female friends douses herself in Pink Sugar, year round.. and among my group of friends it has become quite a bone of contention. Before tactfully approaching the situations I was thinking of having a few other scents I could recommend (along with going a little lighter on the application - though I am certainly no saint in this respect)

they say "if you are going to identify an issue, at least have a few solutions in your pocket"... I certainly do now.. thanks again

a.
    Wow- I guess I'd also have to say, "Good luck with your friend!" If she likes to douse herself in something as sweet and powerful as Pink Sugar it might take her awhile to open up to fragrances that are drier and less gourmand. At least she has a knowledgeable fragrance-friend in you.
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

Let me see..I agree with a lot of the mentioned scents...Feminite du bois,Omnia,Narciso Rodriguez...all are quite light imo

Boss Femme
    Bulgari Omnia crystalline

Hanae Mori Butterfly is sweet, but might be easier to bear than Pink Sugar.

Donna Karan Black Cashmere, Jaipur Saphir, Tiempe Passat
    Last edited by Perfume_Addict; 26th February 2008 at 04:59 AM.