Code of Conduct

Thread: ...

Default ...

I can't believe more people don't wear it. It's a hell of a fragrance.

Default Re: Jean Couturier Coriandre

We do! It has been my HG for many many years, just recently started sharing the spot with Balmain de Balmain.

Believe it or not, a guy can get away wearing this overlooked gem much more easily than you might think.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I have been wearing this for over twenty years, and it has never failed to make me feel happy. It is such an overlooked scent, which is such a shame. Wish I could still find the extrait here in the states, I used to find it at Neimans...long ago.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

Blog Entries

Brielle, there are a couple of online shops that have the 0.3 oz Parfum for about 80.00 - amazon, beautiful perfumes and beauty encounter.
    Last edited by DeeOlive; 12th February 2008 at 01:23 AM. Reason: typo :)
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

Quote Originally Posted by DeeOlive View Post
    Brielle, there are a couple of online shops that have the 0.3 oz Parfum for about 80.00 - amazon, beautiful perfumes and beuaty encounter.
    Dee, thank you so much, you have just brightened my day. I love this scent, and the extrait is just glorious. I am going to go look at these sites now.
    Thanks again
    --------------------------------------
    Just bookmarked the page, and will order when tax return is here.
    Last edited by Brielle87; 12th February 2008 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

Blog Entries

Brielle - Can't wait for my tax money to come in either - have visions of spending
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

An excellent fragrance! It was my favorite for many years. I especially loved wearing the perfumed powder.

Basenotes Institution

If I remember correctly, I think Coriandre was one of those blind scents that I and Indiscreet received when we had those Sniff-n-Scent blind sniffathons - and we were doing the Chypres. I got a new found respect for it, once I smelled it. Good stuff.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I've got to revisit it. Coriandre was one of my regulars many years ago but I haven't worn it in a long time. Thanks for sparking my memory.

Awesome news. It's a great one. Spicy, earthy, woody, rosy with a good dose of peppery green angelica. It's a perfect blend really. It reminds me of some other stuff but I can't figure it out right now.

Top notes: Coriander, Angelica, Orange Blossom, Aldehydes
    Heart notes: Rose, Geranium, Jasmine, Orris, Lily, Ylang Ylang
    Base notes: Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Civet, Musk, Oakmoss

I don't smell any significant aldehydes. Someone called it a sharper, lighter, more rosy version of Aramis 900 EDC (which is similar to Aromatics Elixir). Those are great fragrances but I like this one a lot better. Coriandre's less sharp than those two because the geranium is more integrated. It's beautiful, earthy, sensual, cerebral stuff that would work anywhere, not the least of which would be hangin out in the the old growth forests in Northern Cal. Other than the rosiness, it smells sort of like what your skin could smell like after spending a lot of time out there. The girl who lived up in the giant redwood for two years could've used some but she probably didn't wear perfume. I bet she would've liked it though. Right now I'm smellin the vetiver and oakmoss. It's easily one of the best chypres I've worn. I'm glad scentemental turned me on to this one and so many others.
    Last edited by pluran; 5th March 2008 at 08:12 PM.

It makes me so happy to see this longtime love of mine celebrated here! (and Twolf, Balmain de Balmain is its great contender in my heart too!)

I love Coriandre. To my nose, Soir de Lune (Sisley) is similar.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Awesome news. It's a beauty. Spicy, earthy, rosy and easily worn by a man. It's sort of a perfect blend really. It reminds me of some other stuff but I can't figure it out right now.

Top notes: Coriander, Aldehydes, Angelica, Orange Blossom
    Heart notes: Rose, Geranium, Jasmine, Orris, Lily, Ylang Ylang
    Base notes: Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Civet, Musk, Oakmoss

I can't smell any significant aldehydes. Scentemental called it a sharper, lighter, more rosy version of Aramis 900 EDC (which is very similar to Aromatics Elixir). Those are great fragrances but I like this one a lot better (though Aromatics Elixir parfum smells incredible on my gf). I'd call Coriandre slightly less sharp than those two primarily because the geranium is a little more integrated. It's just really beautiful, earthy, sensual, cerebral stuff that would work anywhere, not the least of which would be hangin out in the the old growth forests in Northern Cal. The girl who lived up in the giant redwood tree for two years could've used some of this but she probably didn't wear perfume. I bet she might have liked it though. Right now I'm smellin the vetiver and oakmoss. It's easily one of the best chypres I've worn. I'm glad scentemental turned me on to this one and so many others.
    When I smelled Paloma Picasso (the original chypre powerhouse!) I thought it smelled like Coriandre.

BTW - Coriandre is a fragrance that Frederic Malle talked about last year in a short article in Allure magazine, as a fragrance that 'fascinates' him.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 13th February 2008 at 07:49 PM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    ...BTW - Coriandre is a fragrance that Frederic Malle talked about last year in a short article in Allure magazine, as a fragrance that 'fascinates' him.
    Thanks Mike. I can understand why it fascinates him.

I like several of his fragrances, but other than Vetiver Exraordinaire I prefer Coriandre by a quit a bit to any of them.
    Last edited by pluran; 26th February 2008 at 07:49 AM.

I didn't see this thread the first time, I'm a fan of Coriandre too. I remember it from the past but Twolf recently sent me a good sample, and now it's on my full bottle wishlist.

Wow, this sounds gorgeous! And just what I'm looking for. Must try it.

I don't know if the stuff I have is new or one of the older fomulations. They say the new stuff isn't nearly as good but that isn't always true.

--------------------------------------

Edit: I just got confirmation that the decant I have is the vintage juice.
    Last edited by pluran; 6th April 2008 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I wore this one exclusively for a while about 25 years ago. Loved it; still do. I still have an old bottle of it (early '90s), and I recently bought a new bottle of it. The new bottle practically made me cry -- it's as though they ripped the heart out it. It's much more highly pitched and lacks that mellow, spicy warmth of the old one. There's just a ghost of the original in there.

If you love the new one, you're fortunate.

Edit: I just found out that the decant I have is the vintage juice. I have yet to try the new one.
    Last edited by pluran; 6th April 2008 at 01:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Rubbish. I just bought some of the vintage juice from the early 80's. It's the same basic scent but with a little more depth and slightly more of that oozing from the pores feel which comes from the civet.
    And the mellowing oakmoss, which is missing from the remake. It was the second or third ingredient listed on the older version.

Glad you're enjoying today's version. Sorry for ruffling your feathers.

Quote Originally Posted by Twitchly View Post
    And the mellowing oakmoss, which is missing from the remake. It was the second or third ingredient listed on the older version...
    Edit: I just got clarification that the decant I have is the vintage juice. I have yet to try the new stuff.
    Last edited by pluran; 6th April 2008 at 01:15 AM.

This one has always had a fond place in my perfume wardrobe.
    Lovely, long-lasting and affordable.