Code of Conduct

Default Ava Luxe - Favourite scent, and why? (Along with other questions!)

Well, i've seen more Ava Luxe creations in more women's wardrobes, so I thought this would be the best place to ask these questions.

I've located Ava Luxe's website, but am a bit confused, on Etsy she only has a couple of fragrances for sale. Have the older ones been discontinued? If so, does anyone know where they might be available? Or if the creator herself only makes things when contacted? As I saw some things that were 'reserved' to certain people.

Apart from those questions, what's your favourite Ava Luxe scent, and why?

Default Re: Ava Luxe - Favourite scent, and why? (Along with other questions!)

Serena used to sell all of her scents on ava-luxe.com, but she closed the site several months ago. I believe she basically said she just needed a break. She puts a few things up on etsy from time to time, but if you want something specific, email her through etsy and she will make it for you. She'll then put it up on the site and say "reserved for ____". She is planning to reopen the original ava-luxe.com, with fewer scent choices, but she recently had a technical delay. Over on MUA, we're all waiting with bated breath...

I have so many favorites: Olibanum (divine incense) Palisander (a dead ringer for Tam Dao), Egyptian Musk among them. Her scents are well-blended, sophisticated and very wearable. No headshop nightmares. Plus, they are a bargain compared to mass market releases.

The only Ava-Luxe I've sampled is her Gardenia Musk, which I find understated and absolutely lovely!

Thanks sarahn, she has so many scents that sound divine, and they're so affordable and unique, i'm really drawn in I've been wanting to try loads of scents:

Cafe Noir
    Loukhoum
    Biba
    Firewood
    Milk
    Dark Chypre
    Fumari
    Golden Amber
    Incense Musk
    Madame X
    Kretek
    Opoponax
    Sweet Amber Wood
    Vamp
    Shisha
    Rasa

As you can see, it's a long list, and i'm not sure if I should ask Serena for samples (I'm willing to pay) as she might not have the fragrances made xD, I think i'll request a couple of those, and see how it goes

Golden Amber and Rasa are two of my faves as well. I would email her your list and ask which ones will still be available on the new site when its relaunched. Then ask for samples of those. That way if you like them, you'll still be able to get them! Nothing worse than having a favorite get discontinued...

I have tried quite a few Ava Luxe's. Her frags and packaging are very chic for the price. Madame X and Love's True Bluish Light are in my wardrobe. Love, love, love. I am hoping for samples of Midnight Violet(never sniffed but on a violet kick) and Kama (I'm remembering it a lot like MKK) in my next order! I think she does the best vanilla musk on the planet, but LTBL is just a smidge over the edge to a sexy comfort scent.
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

Love's True Blueish Light - I go through bottles of this stuff because I love to wear it at bedtime nearly every night. "Dreamy" is the best way I can describe it.

Thanks for all the replys guys, i've just sent out an e-mail, i'll let you know how it goes !
    I've recently got this dirty scent thing appeal, so i'm hoping Kama will be available. Just tried some Bandit EDP (Robert Piguet, yes, off topic :P) and damn, it's good!

My favorites are Loves True Bluish Light, Ambre Tibet, Golden Amber and No. 23. There are so many I have not tried yet though.

I have only tried Love's True Bluish Light and Film Noir (thanks tdi). Love LTBL so much! Sent a message to Serena to order a bottle of the stuff and now I'm just waiting for it to arrive So excited!

My absolute favourite is Milk; it's divine. I also own bottles of Madame X and Heart of Glass. Other favourites include: Film Noir, Rasa X, Ambra Tibet, Ingenue, Camisole, Sunday Girl (though she turned on me last time I wore her), and the list goes on.

I don't think Serena is too keen to do samples anymore, though maybe I'm wrong about that. In any case, I have a number of samples that I'd be happy to send on to you (Cafe Noir, Firewood, Dark Chypre, Fumari, Shisha, Madame X and Milk.) PM me your addy if you're interested.
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

Oh my god, thankyou Pellen!!!!!!!!!!!

You have no idea about how happy you've made me

My absolute favourites that I wouldn't be without: Gardenia Musk, Love's True Bluish Light, Madame X, Rasa, Madeline
    I also have Cafe Noir which is a great scent but I really have to be in exactly the right mood for it. It can be worn just as well by a man as a woman.
    I also recommend Tuberose Diabolique.

Hmm, i've been wanting to try some Tuberuse scents, I was going to start with sampling the Tuberose scent that's xclusive to Le Labo NY, ill give the ava luxe a shot too

Just love love love the Madame X. I have two bottles of parfum (one as backup). It's my comfort, go to scent.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Basenotes Institution

Film Noir and Midnight Violet are IMO two of Ava Luxe's finest creations.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I have already big bottles edp of Cafe Noir,Midnight Violet and Moss.
    Which other do you suggest for man?

Quote Originally Posted by giannis View Post
    I have already big bottles edp of Cafe Noir,Midnight Violet and Moss.
    Which other do you suggest for man?
    Many of the woods are beautiful, Palisander and Johri are two I own that I would recommend men to try. Also the sandalwood musk, Nude Musk is superb, IMO

Some of my favorites are Midnight Violet, Queen Bess, LTBL, Rasa, Madonna Lily and Nude Musk.

Thank you for your suggestion!
    Just thinked that only the Kama,from the musk range, is recommended for men.
    Palisander pyramide sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by Zibeline View Post
    Many of the woods are beautiful, Palisander and Johri are two I own that I would recommend men to try. Also the sandalwood musk, Nude Musk is superb, IMO

Some of my favorites are Midnight Violet, Queen Bess, LTBL, Rasa, Madonna Lily and Nude Musk.
    Last edited by giannis; 20th February 2008 at 03:39 PM.

I own and love Midnight Violet and L'sTBL, but would still like to get a bottle of Gardenia Musk, another favorite.
    I agree, Serenas creations are sophisticated and divine. Really beautiful scents without trying too hard. I love them!
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

Madame x, Loves True Bluish, Roses & Incense Noir are my faves and I have full bottles. I think I have tried half of her scents before she went offline - and there was only about 4 or 5 that I disliked. Serena is amazing.
    I know she is going to be doing 5ml deluxe samples - but email her your 'wish list' and she will let you know what she is making or has in stock. I currently have ordered about 20 5ml deluxe samples.

For anyone who is still procastinating about trying Ava - Madame X, LTBL, Rasa and Midnight Violet are my picks to try first. You get a real scale of what Serena is capable of.

IMHO, Wild Black Fig, Biba & Patchouli Leaves can be worn easily by men. Incense Noir starts out as tar rubbed on your pulse points - but my God! it is divine after 15/20mins. Imagine Midnight Violet but 'burnt'.

Ava Luxe are second to none for original scents with terrific quality. The price does not reflect how wonderful these frags are. (I know, I'm gushing )
    “If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.” Tallulah Bankhead - Actress

Her new one, Hong Kong Garden, is amazing. The description is up on her etsy shop when it's in stock - woody, iris-based, but rose, grass and cassis pop in there too.

I'm wearing Incense Rose today, and can't stop smelling my wrists. Want to try layering it with Loukhoum.

Giannis, Palisander is more than good; I bought backup of this.
    If you adore rosewood, you will swoon.
    I have too many to list, and there are few that I dislike.
    I have a cache of backup bottles of:
    Madame X
    Midnight Violet
    Ambra Tibet
    Kretek

Her incenses are amazing- Zibs and I heartily agree on the woods, for which she has a great love !

I have a sneaking suspicion Vivek might like Royal Parvati- which is truly heartbreaking in
    its authenticity, with sandalwoods and exotics aplenty.

I have many of her florals, including Roses, Frangipani, Orange Flowers, Gardenia Musk.

Thank you for your suggestion!

Palisander and Patchouli leaves will be my next purchases.

Giannis
    Quote Originally Posted by chayaruchama View Post
    Giannis, Palisander is more than good; I bought backup of this.
    If you adore rosewood, you will swoon.
    I have too many to list, and there are few that I dislike.
    I have a cache of backup bottles of:
    Madame X
    Midnight Violet
    Ambra Tibet
    Kretek

Her incenses are amazing- Zibs and I heartily agree on the woods, for which she has a great love !

I have a sneaking suspicion Vivek might like Royal Parvati- which is truly heartbreaking in
    its authenticity, with sandalwoods and exotics aplenty.

I have many of her florals, including Roses, Frangipani, Orange Flowers, Gardenia Musk.

Quote Originally Posted by dewey eyed View Post
    Her new one, Hong Kong Garden, is amazing. The description is up on her etsy shop when it's in stock - woody, iris-based, but rose, grass and cassis pop in there too.

I'm wearing Incense Rose today, and can't stop smelling my wrists. Want to try layering it with Loukhoum.

Tell us more about the Hong Kong Garden! I've been looking at that one for a while now!
    Last edited by Zibeline; 21st February 2008 at 04:28 PM.

Okay then....

The first blast of HKG on me is teak, with a buttery orris root on it. (I also have her Teakwood, and I suspect they share some elements.) After the dryness of the teak gives way a little, you get the grass, rose and cassis coming through. There is some woodiness still underneath - sandalwood, I think? So most of the time I have it on, I get sandalwood/iris, with pops of green and floral above it. The pops change from time to time, which feels like magic.

Here's her description: This fragrance is based around the ethereal Iris flower. The root of the iris known as orris root has a sweet , earthy and somewhat powdery aroma which is very distinctive. The opening notes sing with brilliant fresh verdant hues of cassis, citrus , green grass, and a hint of metallic aldehyde which give it an unusual twist. The top notes give way to heart notes of iris, rose, white violet and musk. The base notes are where the fragrance is most pronounced with deep vetiver, powdery sandalwood, orris, ebony and mosses.

dewey eyed, that sounds fantastic! Is it too powdery though?

And chayaruchama i'll check out royal parvati by Ava Luxe

Quote Originally Posted by dewey eyed View Post

Here's her description: This fragrance is based around the ethereal Iris flower. The root of the iris known as orris root has a sweet , earthy and somewhat powdery aroma which is very distinctive. The opening notes sing with brilliant fresh verdant hues of cassis, citrus , green grass, and a hint of metallic aldehyde which give it an unusual twist. The top notes give way to heart notes of iris, rose, white violet and musk. The base notes are where the fragrance is most pronounced with deep vetiver, powdery sandalwood, orris, ebony and mosses.
    Sounds like Iris Poudre! Has anyone tried both?!
    Last edited by lookingglass; 21st February 2008 at 05:16 PM.
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~

Quote Originally Posted by lookingglass View Post
    Sounds like Iris Poudre! Has anyone tried both?!
    This is what I am thinking, except I do better with ALs than FMs.

I don't get too much powder. I also don't get aldehyde, unless that's the teaky dryness I'm getting in the beginning.

I have to say this is the best thing I've tried in a while.

Ahh, Serena is fantastic, I can see why so many people love her She just sent me a really friendly e-mail back, saying she doesn't do samples, but because i've never smelt an ava luxe scent before (Which I havent) she can sell me some samples ! I'm going to order a couple after a bit more research into them

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Ahh, Serena is fantastic, I can see why so many people love her She just sent me a really friendly e-mail back, saying she doesn't do samples, but because i've never smelt an ava luxe scent before (Which I havent) she can sell me some samples ! I'm going to order a couple after a bit more research into them
    That is very sweet. Yes, that is her style exactly. What did you order?

Well, Pellen is sending me some samples, so i'm going to see what I receive from her first, and then i'll be buying 3-4 of the ones I haven't received off Pellen. I'll probably also buy a bottle or two from the samples that Pellen sends me, simply because of the price, at $26, they'd make fantastic gifts too

My LTBL arrived today $26 may sound cheap but for us Aussies after conversion to local currency and postage the total cost was just over AUD50 for a 30mL bottle.
    Last edited by jillsy; 22nd February 2008 at 02:56 AM. Reason: spelling

Sadly I feel like I really missed out here.
    I've only had a chance to try a few of AL creations
    and have fallen in love with each and every one of them.
    Ambre Tibet, No. 23, Loukhoum, Milk, Shisha, and LTBL.
    I'm so curious about
    Madame X, Midnight Violet, Moksha, Kama, Tuberose Diabolique
    since I read about them so frequently on Basenotes.
    I too will just have to see about contacting her and
    arringing for a few purchases. Hopefully her site goes up soon .
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

Agent P, she has a shop on etsy.com (http://avaluxe.etsy.com) where you can purchase her fragrances. What she has available changes from time to time, so it's always worth peeking. She has Madame X, Moksha and Kama up right now, along with some others.

Just got the sexyest set of samples off the fantastic Pellen! <3

Tried Milk on one wrist, Shisha on the other. Shisha is fantastic, totally cool and hot. I'd wear it anywhere.

I'm liking Milk too, not as much as Shisha due to the sweetness, but it's one of those scents you wear when you know no one's going to be smelling you (as it's quite feminine imo for a guy!) But, i'd blates wear it to sleep in

I've tried quite a few, too. I love Queen Bess for a spicy cinnamon kick. I also really like Pearl Musk. I used to wear Creative Scentualization Perfect Veil almost exclusively 4-5 years ago and Pearl Musk is almost identical to it and much cheaper.

I've never tried an Ava Luxe fragrance, but I REALLY like the sound of LTBL and Milk! I'm tempted to order, but like Jillsy has said earlier in this thread... with currency conversion and international postage that $26 bottle isn't nearly so cheap anymore!!

If I did make an order, then I'm starting to think that maybe if I ordered several different scents it'd be more worthwhile. That way I'm getting more perfumes, and for only + $1 on the postage for each one.

Ah, so many fragrant desires, so little expendable cash....

Looky, looky !
    It's LISA !!!

Wow, what a hot pic, baby....
    [I ordered a bottle of QB, it makes me think of you !]