Code of Conduct

Default But it's Terre d'Hermes :(

Until two days ago, I have not tested Terre d'Hermes yet, but from the reviews alone, this one was very high on my list. I knew it was wrong to like a fragrance before trying it, but I couldn't help it. Everyone keeps saying it's the fragrance and being that new to fragrances, at some point you just start believing that.

The time was two days ago. I went to test Terre d'Hermes and nothing else. I asked the SA, only to receive the shock of the month: Hermes is not available in my country

I was disappointed that day.

Today, a friend of mine hooked me up with a guy that sells fragrances for cheaper prices than in the market. I'm not certain about the legality of the business though. I think the guy gets his fragrances from out of country and bypasses the customs somehow.

I asked him about a few fragrances on my wish list and he has them for cheaper than their market prices. I was thrilled, and figured I'd take a shot and ask about Terre d'Hermes. He didn't have it, but told me he could get it and sounded very certain. I told him I'd contact him again in a week and find out whether he found it.

My problem now is.. If I got Terre d'Hermes from that guy, I would have nothing to compare the smell to. I'm pretty sure that given enough time to dry down, I could recognize a fake fragrance, especially with a complex one like this, but still, I don't know, there's just something about this.

Terre d'Hermes isn't available in the country and that somehow justifies my questionable purchase, but the other fragrances are everywhere and I would feel slightly guilty to buy them this way. The prices are tempting for a college student like myself. Body Kouros for example would cost me $40 instead of the $70 I'd normally pay at most shops (I know, $70 is totally crazy.. customs and luxury goods).

Just wanted to share this. Sorry for the scattered thoughts
    Last edited by Mostapha; 19th February 2008 at 07:51 PM.

Default Re: But it's Terre d'Hermes :(

I'm in the same boat as you my friend... Hermes, Chanel etc aren't available in my city atleast but i'm sure they're available at many other places coutrywide. I too pay about the same amount of cash for my colognes.. the latest example being .. I paid $69 for my latest acquisition, Baldessarini Ambre.

That being said, all the best on your forthcoming purchase.. hope its the real thing...fingers crossed

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Why not just buy it online?

First I have to find a store that would ship to where I live, second it would cost me a small fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by Mostapha View Post
    First I have to find a store that would ship to where I live, second it would cost me a small fortune.
    That is an excellent point.

Fragrancenet.com ships worldwide for under $15. Plus the plentiful coupons we have in the forums. Alot better than getting a possible fake.

When you finally get it, there is a 100% chance it will not smell the way you imagine, and a good chance it will not fulfill your expectations. It is not "the" fragrance, among other reasons because there is no "the" fragrance. I remember being very interested to try this one and having some expectations based on reviews. When I did sample it, I liked it reasonably well, but not enough to buy. That's often how it goes. I have nothing against this specific fragrance, but I think it helps to have realistic expectations.
    “They aren't connected . . . they aren't mafia. Not with names like Tuner Watson” - Jim Rockford

Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    I too pay about the same amount of cash for my colognes.. the latest example being .. I paid $69 for my latest acquisition, Baldessarini Ambre.
    Congratulations. Ambre is excellent IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuner_Watson View Post
    When you finally get it, there is a 100% chance it will not smell the way you imagine, and a good chance it will not fulfill your expectations. It is not "the" fragrance, among other reasons because there is no "the" fragrance. I remember being very interested to try this one and having some expectations based on reviews. When I did sample it, I liked it reasonably well, but not enough to buy. That's often how it goes. I have nothing against this specific fragrance, but I think it helps to have realistic expectations.
    I know what you mean. The same happened to me with Kouros. People worship Kouros. I like it okay, but it's not for me. If that happened with Terre d'Hermes I'd be very disappointed. I know the rule is never to buy blind but I feel I just have to own this
    I guess I'll wait for a few days and see what happens.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Mostapha; 20th February 2008 at 09:22 AM.

I know what you mean. The same happened to me with Kouros. People worship Kouros. I like it okay, but it's not for me. If that happened with Terre d'Hermes I'd be very disappointed. I know the rule is never to buy blind but I feel I just have to own this I guess I'll wait for a few days and see what happens.Thanks.
    As a rule of thumb: take all praises with a grain of salt! If there are clusters of fans for a particular cologne, and if it's new - wait a good while! Sometimes people will be fairly quiet after their new baby has arrived, usually for a good reason. - If I do not like a fragrance, I am normally silent for different reasons, but mainly because I do not want to spoil someone elses fun with it. We all have a nose of our own. Nay sayers as a whole may talk less about something they do not love, like me on Terre: I finally bought it, didn't really like it in spite of the fine quality. But I was simply not motivated to start a thread on it. Disappointments can occur, particularly when we have high expectations.
    Last edited by narcus; 20th February 2008 at 11:38 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I tried Terre d'Hermes last week on my wrist and something in it gave me a headache. Smelt too much like hot sand, and reminded me of getting bogged for a day up north in 42 degree weather.

I can see people liking it, especially for its originality, but I'm definately not a fan.
    Last edited by Anthony87; 20th February 2008 at 10:34 AM.

Congratulations. Ambre is excellent IMO.

I know what you mean. The same happened to me with Kouros. People worship Kouros. I like it okay, but it's not for me. If that happened with Terre d'Hermes I'd be very disappointed. I know the rule is never to buy blind but I feel I just have to own this
    I guess I'll wait for a few days and see what happens.
    Thanks.
    I found this to happen often in my early days here, and it still does happen to a degree, but I've learned not to get too infatuated with the idea of a scent, primarily because it can elevate your expectations so high that you are bound to be let down.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

If I am not mistaken, I have seen Terre d'Hermès at one of the perfume shops at CityStars shopping center in Cairo. I think the name of the store is Palais des parfums. This was less than a month ago. Let us know if you find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Apis View Post
    If I am not mistaken, I have seen Terre d'Hermès at one of the perfume shops at CityStars shopping center in Cairo. I think the name of the store is Palais des parfums. This was less than a month ago. Let us know if you find it.
    Wow that is exactly where I went to test it!!
    They told me they don't have it and nobody else does! "No Hermes in Cairo" was his exact response to my question. I will go again very soon to double check. If I do find it, I'm going to give them a hard time for what they did to me.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    As a rule of thumb: take all praises with a grain of salt! If there are clusters of fans for a particular cologne, and if it's new - wait a good while! Sometimes people will be fairly quiet after their new baby has arrived, usually for a good reason. - If I do not like a fragrance, I am normally silent for different reasons, but mainly because I do not want to spoil someone elses fun with it. We all have a nose of our own. Nay sayers as a whole may talk less about something they do not love, like me on Terre: I finally bought it, didn't really like it in spite of the fine quality. But I was simply not motivated to start a thread on it. Disappointments can occur, particularly when we have high expectations.
    Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I found this to happen often in my early days here, and it still does happen to a degree, but I've learned not to get too infatuated with the idea of a scent, primarily because it can elevate your expectations so high that you are bound to be let down.
    Makes a lot of sense. But I guess I need to experience this a few more times before I learn my lesson well.

I'm trying as hard as I can to test it before buying, but if after all I couldn't test, there's a big chance I'll make this my first blind buy.

I'm trying as hard as I can to test it before buying, but if after all I couldn't test, there's a big chance I'll make this my first blind buy.
    don't blind buy!

It's not worth it to do a blind buy for (is anything?).

It is essentially a little bit of citrus and a LOT of Cedar wood so it is not for everyone and isn't worn well by many.

Be patient!

While I feel it is a good perfume, there are lots of good perfumes out there that you have access. It also isn't going to be discontinued any time soon, nor is it the last good perfume ever made!
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 20th February 2008 at 02:13 PM.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

If that helps: the last time I broke the rule a g a i n : Narcisso Rodriguez for him
    The fragrance is of decent quality but just not my style. And have you ever seen a clear glass bottle that looks like plastic? The cap actually is! Only the Gucci envy cap is bulkier.
    Last edited by narcus; 20th February 2008 at 02:33 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I shouldn't talk. I've blind bought Grey Flannel, Dali pour homme, AND L'Anarchiste. I guess I'm a bit crazy.

Of course, Grey Flannel is one of my all time faves. I've also tested and then bought Body Kouros, but quickly grew sick of it. I guess you never really know.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    I'm in the same boat as you my friend... Hermes, Chanel etc aren't available in my city atleast but i'm sure they're available at many other places coutrywide. I too pay about the same amount of cash for my colognes.. the latest example being .. I paid $69 for my latest acquisition, Baldessarini Ambre.

That being said, all the best on your forthcoming purchase.. hope its the real thing...fingers crossed
    heerapanna and other markets known for their smuggled goods sell these...hermes might be difficult but chanel defintely yes. and brands like gucci you wil lget it for a steal...i got gucci Ph for 1800 bucks...XS for 1100, opium for 1345...isnt tht cool..

--------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    If that helps: the last time I broke the rule a g a i n : Narcisso Rodriguez for him
    The fragrance is of decent quality but just not my style. And have you ever seen a clear glass bottle that looks like plastic? The cap actually is! Only the Gucci envy cap is bulkier.
    talk about caps - must be cartier...man...its so heavy..
    Last edited by jenson; 20th February 2008 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

You could try to find & test Cartier Declaration before cause it´s another frag from J.C. Ellena which shall be similar to Terre, which is my number 1 frag till now. I can wear it 24 h on every 365 day. And i am suprized how well it is when i dont use it some days.

If in Cairo it is difficult to find it you could sell it without problems later if you dont like it.
    Last edited by sanatik; 20th February 2008 at 03:37 PM.
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

If someone sent a sample in the mail would it get through to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    If someone sent a sample in the mail would it get through to you?
    Yes it would, thank you very much. Someone offered that to me a while ago, and I'm waiting for his sample to arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by sanatik View Post
    You could try to find & test Cartier Declaration before cause it´s another frag from J.C. Ellena which shall be similar to Terre, which is my number 1 frag till now. I can wear it 24 h on every 365 day. And i am suprized how well it is when i dont use it some days.

If in Cairo it is difficult to find it you could sell it without problems later if you dont like it.
    Declaration is not remotely like TdH.
    “They aren't connected . . . they aren't mafia. Not with names like Tuner Watson” - Jim Rockford

I have the same problems like you, Mostapha. There is not an official distributor for Guerlain, Hermes, Dunhill... in my country. It could be very frustrating for a scent collector, in did. I must say that I don't believe much in online shopping. However, my best friend (after that he's definitely my best friend) bought for me Vetiver, Habit Rouge and L'Instant in Croatia. One of my female neighbour (she's an air-hostess) bought for me Eau d'Hermes and Terre d'Hermes (very good one, by the way) in Austria. I requested my aunt from Germany to send me Desire Blue by Dunhill and she did it...
    We have here a proverb: "If someone don't want something - he finds an excuse, If someone wants something - he finds the way".
    Good luck with your scent hunting, Mostapha.
    Last edited by peevish_yolk; 22nd February 2008 at 03:55 PM.
    “As if everyone, all over the world, had his daily visually artistic task; the task of being an image for others.” Peter Handke

I got this stuff today and not sure if i like it.I'll try it again tomarrow...It's kinda smokey smelling.

http://imgfreehost.com/out.php?i17512_cologne.JPG
    Last edited by BMW135i; 21st February 2008 at 10:32 PM.

TDH is a Holy Grail for me. Its a modern Polo. However, I rarely reach for it. I need to wear it more often. I love the greeness of the citrus and pepper/inscense. It is a woody, masculine classic!

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    TDH is a Holy Grail for me. Its a modern Polo. However, I rarely reach for it. I need to wear it more often. I love the greeness of the citrus and pepper/inscense. It is a woody, masculine classic!

It does remind me of Polo Green....If i decide i don't like it i'd be willing to trade you for something else.

Okay I found it. Many thanks to Apis for the directions!
    How do I put this? It's been on my wrist for more than an hour now, and as much as I'm trying to be impressed by the scent, I'm not (at least not yet). Perhaps too masculine (in an old way) for my taste. I got Dior Homme and Habit Riouge on my other arm and so far they're doing a great job, and I'm constantly reaching for my arm.

I don't think I'll be buying Terre d'Hermes any time soon. Although I know today was just a first impression, and if I got a sample soon I have to wear it full day for a few times so I can see what is it that people dig so much about it.
    --------------------------------------
    But I learned a great lesson.
    Last edited by Mostapha; 26th February 2008 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

The first time I wore Terre d'Hermes I really disliked it. I am glad I gave it a second chance as it subsequently impressed me.

For myself, I think it wears much better when it is warm (summer) outside. I do not wear it in cooler seasons.

Blog Entries

I'm wearing TDH now and it's just above freezing outside and I'm liking it. It has a very fresh sense to it and reminds me of spring....which I need to come! It's too cold!

Terre d'Hermes fake? LOL doubtful!

I don't really enjoy the scent myself...Too much of everything I don't want. I do give it props for originality.
    I have: Davidoff Relax, Dior Homme Sport, Boss Selection, Azzaro Visit, and Creed MI (will provide # on bottle for verification) available.

Looking for the following: DG The One, Himalaya, YSL L'Homme, John Varvatos (not vintage) Canali For Men or Paypal.

I don't see the connection to the orignial Polo (green). When I wore TdH it was in warm weather as most prefer I smelled citrus, spice, vetiver and then the base reminded me of clay. I see the connection to earth with this mineralic note but don't see the pine and leather and herbs that Polo Green has. I recall there being a fragrance by Caswell Massey that was supposed to smell like a fresher Polo but I believe it was reformulated (Green Briar?).

Well I do get citrus, spice, etc. but overwhealmingly it is cedar and a smattering of sandalwood on me.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Terre d' Hermes is the same type with GFF by Gianfranco ferre (http://www.laparfumerie.com/page_pro...CA4KLKDFUAAG7B). The top notes are almost similar but the base notes are big difference. When GFF is turning in to fresh burned incese, Terre d' Hermes is staying with its warmth scent and never turning into fresh scent until it is fade away.

Ugh, one of the few fragrances I've worn that made the people around me cover their noses and say "Eew, what's that smell??" Maybe it's just my skin chemistry? The sillage is suffocating. I'll leave the rotting oranges to the compost heap.
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

Dear Terre d'Hermes,
    I'm sorry I didn't like you before. It always seems to me that the things I love the most in life are the things that didn't really have a great first impression. On the second testing, I am really starting to understand you and appreciate your originality. As soon as my samples are over, I will buy a bottle of you right away.

Quote Originally Posted by marquee View Post
    Terre d' Hermes is the same type with GFF by Gianfranco ferre (http://www.laparfumerie.com/page_pro...CA4KLKDFUAAG7B). The top notes are almost similar but the base notes are big difference. When GFF is turning in to fresh burned incese, Terre d' Hermes is staying with its warmth scent and never turning into fresh scent until it is fade away.
    interesting that you find them similar. i find at fragrancex this description:

gieffeffe (1996) is classified as a refreshing, fruity fragrance. This unisex scent possesses a blend of citrus fruits and floral bouquets, with base notes of patchouli and sandalwood. It is recommended for daytime wear.
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

Blog Entries

Dear Terre d'Hermes,
    I'm sorry I didn't like you before. It always seems to me that the things I love the most in life are the things that didn't really have a great first impression. On the second testing, I am really starting to understand you and appreciate your originality. As soon as my samples are over, I will buy a bottle of you right away.
    good to hear! i hope i don't turn since i liked it to begin with...
    Looking for:
    Versace Man eau Fraiche - Please PM me if you have it!

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...r8877/haha.jpg