Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Institution

Default Cinnamon - The lists, the scents and the recommendations - 2008 edition

Welcome to the annual mikeperez23 Cinnamon thread. This is Part 2 to a thread I started last year (http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=198828) about cinnamon prominent scents. I took the list from last year, updated it from the suggestions in the thread, edited the scents I have sampled/bought since – and here we have the 2008 Cinnamon Thread.

I own:

Baie de Genievre by Creed
    Ambre Narguile by Hermes
    Sherbet: Cinnamon by Comme des Garcons
    Spezie by Lorenzo Villoresi
    Noir Epices by Frederic Malle
    Obsession by Calvin Klein
    Santalum by Profumum
    Comme des Garcons EDP
    Arabie by Serge Lutens
    Calvin by Calvin Klein
    White by Comme des Garcons
    Witness by Bogart (which I own)
    Chergui by Serge Lutens
    Egoiste by Chanel

I have tried and love (and will own soon):

Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain
    Un Crime Exotique by Parfumerie Generale
    LP No.9 for Men by Penhaligons
    Opium EDT by YSL
    London by Burberry
    Tea for Two by L’Artisan Parfumeur

I have tried and DO NOT LIKE:

Must Pour Homme by Cartier
    Pour Monsieur Concentree by Chanel
    Envy by Gucci
    Dunhill Edition
    Brit by Burberry
    Corduroy by Zirh
    Spirit by Antonio Banderas
    Cypress by Acqua di Parma
    Joop Homme
    360 Red by Perry Ellis
    L by Lolita Lempicka
    Feminite de Bois by Shiseido
    Black Cashmere by Donna Karan
    Cinnabar EdT by Estee Lauder
    Musc Ravageur by Frederic Malle
    Incensi by Lorenzo Villoresi
    Amber Canelle by Creed
    Maharadjah by PdN
    Carlos Santana Pour Homme
    Original Santal by Creed
    Zero Plus by Diesel
    Cimabue by Dawn Spencer Hurwitz
    Querelle by Parfumerie Generale
    Rousse by Serge Lutens
    Patchouli Pure by Fresh Index
    Organza Indecence by Givenchy
    Maharanhi by PdN (I have a sample)
    JHL by Aramis
    Catalyst by Halston
    Costes by Hotel Costes

I have ‘heard’ have cinnamon and want to sample:

Eau Lente by Diptyque (I have a sample)
    Nikos by Nikos
    Jaipur Homme by Boucheron
    L’Eau by Diptyque (I have a sample)
    Vanille Cannelle by Comptoir Sud Pacifique
    Solo Loewe by Loewe
    Woods of Windsor for Gentleman by Woods of Windsor
    Fresh by Trussardi
    Uomo by Fendi
    Kashmir Spice by Ava Luxe (I think I have a sample..?)
    Epice Sauvage from Ayala Moriel
    Bengal by BPAL
    Basi Homme by Armand Basi

I have tried and I’m 'on the fence' about:

Sushi Imperiale by Bois 1920
    Bois de Paradis by Parfums Delrae
    H.O.T. Always by Bond No. 9
    Carven Homme

So, here’s my questions that I posed from the last thread:

Which of the above list (those I want to sample or those I am on the fence about) would you recommend?
    What scents (men or women’s scents) am I missing?

Feel free to suggest fragrances marketed to men or women – I’ll try anything as long as it smells good!
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 10th December 2008 at 12:05 AM. Reason: UPDATED 12-08
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Default Re: Cinnamon - The lists, the scents and the recommendations - 2008 edition

Well, I was about to recommend Santana but realized you don't like it. Hmm, just curious what you didn't like about that one?

I get a noticeable amount of cinnamon and nutmeg sweetened a hint with vanilla and further rounded with a touch of powder from guaiacwood in the heart and majority of the drydown in Viktor and Rolf's Antidote.

Other than that, you've listed all the cinnamon scents I've tried (Santana, Obsession, London (don't get much cinnamon there)). I guess I need to sample more .

Default Re: Cinnamon - The lists, the scents and the recommendations - 2008 edition

Carven and Sushi!
    "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Mike, out of those listed, can you tell me which are the most cinnamon prominent. I love cinnamon as a note and would love to check out more of these frags.

Creed Ambre Canelle is awesome IMO but you did not like it.
    Last edited by samplermike; 19th February 2008 at 10:51 PM.

Mike, I'd say not to bother with Woods of Windsor. I got a bottle at TJMaxx for $10 and gave it away. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one "on the fence" about Costes and Tea for Two! I love Olivia G., but these two have never quite grabbed me. Costes is a bit neutral for me and Tea for Two a bit too literal. (It just smells like nice Chai to me.)

I like Eau Lente a lot, but although it has cinnamon, to me it's much more about cloves. I don't really get much cinnamon (if any) from Tea for Two.

Creed Orange Spice is warm, fruity and spicy with orange, cinnamon and clove notes.
    I get as much cinnamon as I get orange and clove.

I dislike Original Santal, Joop, Envy, the majority of your dislikes are mine.
    I do dislike the balmy Equipage note in L'Artisan Tea for Two, but the rest is ok.
    The dark green Must de Cartier I do like, and it's understated cinnamon, but not enough to buy.
    I only have three more scents I knowingly liked the Cinnamon in:

The drydown of Vintage Tabarome has a pleasant cinnamon note, and that's the stage of it I like.
    Bowling Green is one of my favorites, the cinnamon is overwhelmed by the rest, but does compliment it.
    Also, the middle of Eax des Bavx has a more prominent Cinnamon note, it's more subtle initially, and fades nicely into the incense/vanilla drydown. Eax des Bavx sweet drydown reminds me of a Lebanese strain of herb (yes, that kind of herb) whose name transalates to "Marshmallows". I haven't smoked that strain since I was 17, and still remember it smelling of funk, spice, and cereal marshmallows. LOL
    As far as the use of both prominent Cinnamon & Incense in Eax des Bavx, it's shockingly similar to THIS and THIS
    Both very prominent and pleasant blend of Cinnamon in a stickless resin Frankincense.
    Good luck finding the perfect Cinnamon.

My experience is rather limitid in this arena but I love the cinnamon in JHL. Was not actually aware of there being a cinnamon note in Carven Homme. That said, I like that fragrance a lot as well.

L'Instant PH I comes off as having a cinnamon note, or a combination of notes that provide the same effect.

Agree with you on Must de Cartier - great if one is pushing 80.

I just got a sample of Terra di Siena by i Profumi di Firenze from Beauty Habits. Though my nose may not be as trained as most, I do detect the hint of cinnamon they mention on their site.

"This unisex fragrance captures the magic of Sienna with top notes of bergamot and mint; heart notes of Florentine lavender, cumin, cinnamon, orange blossom and a seductive woody finale of sandalwood, cedar, tonka bean and vanilla."

After wearing the sample, I'm getting a bottle for sure. It works so well with me and this cold weather. I still have some of the sample left.
    Last edited by SirSlarty; 20th February 2008 at 01:34 AM.

Rousse by SL, the summer cinnamon.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Mike, out of those listed, can you tell me which are the most cinnamon prominent. I love cinnamon as a note and would love to check out more of these frags.
    Gucci II - 45 seconds into it it becomes pure cinnamon....and stayes that way....strong as well
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Aramis Devin definitely has cinammon.
    RM

i just get nasty synthetic from gucci II.

for the real cinnamon business, go Un Crime Exotique... frontrunner for my favorite gourmand of all time.
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

though its not cinnamon...i would reccomend royall bay rhum or trumpers bay rhum which are both clove laden which to many smells very similar. Funny enough my dad insisted my girlfriend smell his Royall bay Rhum and her first reaction was ....you guessed it...."that smells like cinnamon". Royall Spyce smells kinda cinnamony too(i like it better than their bay rhum)....also these frags can be had in small sizes for very cheap...so if you dont like em you wont really have buyers remorse because you got them for so cheap.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by acceptfacts View Post
    Gucci II - 45 seconds into it it becomes pure cinnamon....and stayes that way....strong as well
    i thought that was the pimento i was smelling?
    Last edited by jdnba; 20th February 2008 at 03:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    That's a hard question to answer. Prominent to my nose might not be prominent to your nose. But, if I had to name 3 I'd say:

Rousse by Serge Lutens
    Cinnamon (Sherbet Series) by CdG
    Witness by Bogart or Catalyst by Halston [a tie].

-- Jack Kerouac

You missed 'SWING' by Fragonard. I like the Spicy headiness with the Cinnamon.

A definite try before you buy scent.
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    As far as the use of both prominent Cinnamon & Incense in Eax des Bavx, it's shockingly similar to THIS and THIS
    Both very prominent and pleasant blend of Cinnamon in a stickless resin Frankincense.
    I'm familiar with Shoyeido incense - great stuff, isn't it. The frankincense is the best of the line. And not too 'smoky' either. That reminds me I need to buy some more of that soon...

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post

I have ‘heard’ have cinnamon and want to sample:

Epice Sauvage from Ayala Moriel
    If you are looking for cinnamon the perfume with the most pronounced note of it in my collection is Immortelle l'Amour, which features notes of cinnamon CO2 - a distillation that is very fresh and true to the real spice.

There are a few more in my collection with cinnamon, I personally love this note (Finjan, Palas Atena, Bois d'Hiver and Ayala) but Immortelle l'Amour is the only one where it has such a pronounced presence. It helps to create waffles scent - with cinnamon and maple syrup...
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

In conjunction with my last post about Terra di Siena there is another fragrance made by the same perfumer (i Profumi di Firenze) called Spezie de Medici (not to be confused with Spezie by Lorenzo Villoresi which you already have on your list). It's notes are Cinnamon, Cayenne, Cardamom, Clove and Ginger.
    Last edited by SirSlarty; 21st February 2008 at 07:16 PM. Reason: spelling

Basenotes Institution

Thanks for all of the great recommendations everyone. So, I've got:

Antidote by Viktor & Rolf, Gucci Pour Homme II, Bowling Green, Orange Spice, Vintage Tabarome (I smelled all of these once before and I don't remember cinnamon in them at all. I'll resniff again)
    Eau des Baux by L'Occitane (I've been hearing good things about this one recently)
    L'Instant PH (I thought this had chocolate in it?)
    Terra di Siena and Spezie de Medici by I Profumi di Firenze (both sound great)
    Devin (I know this fragrance very well and love it - but I didn't list it above because I don't think of it as a cinnamon scent..?)
    Royal Bay Rhum and Trumpers Bay Rum (I love bay rum fragrances, so I'll try these two...a good bay rum in my wardrobe for my upcoming summer vacation in Europe would be nice)
    Swing by Fragonard (I've never even heard of this - thanks!)
    Immortelle l'Amour (thanks alaya - honestly, I would have never known that IA had prominent cinnamon from the name...I love immortelle, but Eau Noire is my immortelle go-to scent - however immortelle and cinnamon sounds fantastic)

Also - has anyone smelled Isabelle Capeto. It's marketed to women, and it comes in the most impossibly girly bottles I've ever seen (pic below) - but the cinnamon/woods base sounds yummy.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 21st February 2008 at 06:26 PM.

-- Jack Kerouac

I noted Cinnamon in Caron's L'Anarchiste ... pretty prominently... at least to my nose ...
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Two blockbusters in which cinnamon plays an important role (even if these are not cinnamon fragrances proper) are Patou pour homme and Jil Sander Man Pure. I personally find the cinnamon decisively contributes to their über-brilliance.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Two blockbusters in which cinnamon plays an important role (even if these are not cinnamon fragrances proper) are Patou pour homme and Jil Sander Man Pure. I personally find the cinnamon decisively contributes to their über-brilliance.
    Thanks t_g_l - I've not smelled both, although the Jil Sander line is so friggin confusing Man, Man Pure, Man Eater, Half Man....

Which brings up a good question: How does cinnamon contribute to these scents? Does it spice up the woods? I've never really thought of cinnamon as something that played in the background of a scent, I always look for it on the surface. But your post brings up a good point - cinnamon is most likely there in the background of a lot of scents, undetected to my nose.

-- Jack Kerouac

My limited edition fragrance Temple has Chinese Cinnamon and other warm spices anchored by true Oud. The opening note of distilled orange juice of course is a fun accompaniment to the cinnamon!
    Anya McCoy - http://anyasgarden.com/
    Best of the Best awards - Perfume: MoonDance, StarFlower, Amberess, Light, Royal Lotus and as
    Project Leader: Outlaw Perfume and Mystery of Musk
    Basic Perfumery Course with lifetime access to the website - http://perfumeclasses.com
    America's First Natural Perfume Line 1991
    First Artisan Perfumer Voted in as member of the American Society of Perfumery 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Thanks t_g_l - I've not smelled both, although the Jil Sander line is so friggin confusing Man, Man Pure, Man Eater, Half Man....

Which brings up a good question: How does cinnamon contribute to these scents? Does it spice up the woods? I've never really thought of cinnamon as something that played in the background of a scent, I always look for it on the surface. But your post brings up a good point - cinnamon is most likely there in the background of a lot of scents, undetected to my nose.
    It essentially orientalizes them. What Patou ph, Versailles ph, JHL and Man Pure share is a clove-cinnamon axis in the middle notes that adds spicy sweetness. Not surprisingly three are categorized as orientals by H&R, while Sander is grouped with the leathery chypres, its distinctiveness within that group however derives from that oriental inflection
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Witness is one you should retry IMO. On me it doesn't last very long, but what a nice ride for a short one! I just keep a 5ml roll-on of Witness with me when I wear it so I can re-intensify it whenever the mood strikes.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Witness is one you should retry IMO. On me it doesn't last very long, but what a nice ride for a short one! I just keep a 5ml roll-on of Witness with me when I wear it so I can re-intensify it whenever the mood strikes.
    I have about 1/3 of a bottle - I have retried it about 10 times already. Each time, the harsh/synthetic top notes are what turn me off to it (same thing happened with Catalyst by Halston). After about 10 minutes is when it really starts to smell nice and toned down spicy. Having to endure the difficult top notes is not enjoyable to me, though. I'm not getting rid of my bottle, but it is not something I feel like wearing regularly.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 24th March 2008 at 01:15 AM.

-- Jack Kerouac

I like London by Burberry. Classy smell.

Basenotes Institution

Since we are in the middle of cool weather now, cinnamon prominent scents are really working for me.

I'm bumping this thread to gain any new recommendations, perhaps...

I guess I should also revise my list, since many on the above list I've since tried and liked/disliked. Let me do that later...

-- Jack Kerouac

I second JHL. It's spicy cinnamon/ floral in the midnotes is great, expecially this time of year. This one a little goes a long way.

Thanks for a very good reference thread for cinnamon! I am most definitely a fan too.

I get a very prominent cinnamon note from Crabtree & Evelyn's Sandalwood, much in the same way as Musc Ravageur but not as sweet.
    Last edited by Noalick; 3rd December 2008 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dmarino67 View Post
    I second JHL. It's spicy cinnamon/ floral in the midnotes is great, expecially this time of year. This one a little goes a long way.
    Agree. Take in mind that according to many BNoters Cinnabar is very alike. Opium pF is quite similar too.

That's quite a list! I love cinnamon as a note, but so far I've found very few cinnamon "soliflores", as it were.

My favorite of those you mention is CdG EDP. I'd be very interested in trying their Cinnamon fragrance from the Sherbert line if it's anything like it, but I've heard it doesn't have a very strong cinnamon note..?

The one that I have sampled that has a good cinnamon notes is Opium. I see you have it on your list. I am just confirming. I do have Arabie and Obsession but I don't think of these as a strong cinnamon like Opium. I actually prefer Opium over Opium PH because of the cinnamon note.

Mike, you have done a wonderful compilation of nearly all things cinnamon. BRAVO! However, I am reluctant to recommend as you requested because I am obviously not as experienced and I feel you only deserve a recommendation with integrity, i.e., from someone who knows every fragrance on your list. There are so many that I don't know that to say I like JHL and Jazz for fragrances with cinnamon would be unjustly discrediting others that might be great. Heck, I usually trust your opinion so when you figure this out, let us known so I will have an idea what to try! lol

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed wearing Witness by Bogart - it's all about cinnamon and is not too sweet nor too dry - just right. Bogart is a great cinnamon for Christmas season. You might also give Bond's H.O.T. Always a trial run - I really liked that one when I sampled it a while back.

But, you already have my two all time favorite cinnamon fragrances - that quiet but very incensey CdG Sherbert series Cinnamon - it's brilliant! / and Profumum Santalum.

The only Cinnamon heavy frag that I can recommend that I haven't seen on the thread is one that you have tried already Serge Noire. Perfect for the cooler weather and one of the best releases of 2008.
    Last edited by surreality; 4th December 2008 at 04:40 AM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

am I smelling some dry cinnamon stick in TAR's drydown? It seems like it. Anyway, mikeperez23, thanks for the store lead, got my bottle today!

Have you tried Jaipur Homme (Boucheron) yet? It's cinnamon, but also a ton of other spices as well. Musky vanilla drydown.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I agree with mikeperez23 about not liking Chanel pour Monsieur Concentrée very much, but the original Chanel pH is also very enriched by the cinnamon note, and is much better overall than the Concentrée.

Another fragrance that has a beautiful accord supported by cinnamon is Parfums de Nicolaï New York.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

To the above excellent suggestions, might I add "Serge Noire" (which I have already elaborated on in my review of course) and the women's "Opium" in EDT especially.
    There is also a delectable cinnamon note in "Mitsouko" vintage EDT, if you care to search for it.

I'd also suggest you search for scents with prominent benzoin and/or styrax (as those two often read as cinnamon in a mix, due to their resinous nature)

Quote Originally Posted by Bromo33333 View Post
    I noted Cinnamon in Caron's L'Anarchiste ... pretty prominently... at least to my nose ...

ditto+clove

Musc Ravageur. OOPS! I see you don't like. Sorry.
    Last edited by richard d; 4th December 2008 at 07:57 PM.

I can't find cinnamon in the list of notes for Guerlain's Winter Delice, but it sure smells like cinammon to me.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by dmarino67 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    Agree. Take in mind that according to many BNoters Cinnabar is very alike. Opium pF is quite similar too.
    JHL and Cinnabar I really, really wanted to love. I find so many of Estee Lauder scents bottle worthy, but these two are just chock-full of fatty aldehydes and I really can't get past that part without wincing inside when I apply them. I'm crossing my fingers, on getting a sample of Cinnabar parfum - I've read online that it is much different than the regular Cinnabar, and perhaps this one I'll like. I'll report back when I get to smell it.

Quote Originally Posted by Noalick View Post
    Thanks for a very good reference thread for cinnamon! I am most definitely a fan too.
    I get a very prominent cinnamon note from Crabtree & Evelyn's Sandalwood, much in the same way as Musc Ravageur but not as sweet.
    You're welcome. I actually happen to have a sample of C&E's Sandalwood at home - I'm going to smell it again, this time seeking out the cinnamon.

I love the cinnamon in Musc Ravageur, but it seems kind of silly to spend the $ on that scent just for the spice part, when I don't smell the musk part.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    That's quite a list! I love cinnamon as a note, but so far I've found very few cinnamon "soliflores", as it were.

My favorite of those you mention is CdG EDP. I'd be very interested in trying their Cinnamon fragrance from the Sherbert line if it's anything like it, but I've heard it doesn't have a very strong cinnamon note..?
    Since this post, I have fallen more and more in love with CdG EdP, event though technically it's not really a cinnamon scent I think it's more clove-y.

And yes, try the Cinnamon (Sherbet Series) by CdG - it is very cinnamon prominent, but incorporates a strange, synthetic watery note into it. I've described it as 'a very cold pitcher of water, with cinnamon sticks floating in' here on BN - and that description seems to fit.

-- Jack Kerouac

I think there's cinnamon in Lauder's Sensuous. I may very well be mistaking something else as cinnamon, though.

Clive Christian X for men has a wonderful cinnamon note. Highly overpriced though
    Last edited by The Duke; 5th December 2008 at 02:51 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower View Post
    The one that I have sampled that has a good cinnamon notes is Opium. I see you have it on your list. I am just confirming. I do have Arabie and Obsession but I don't think of these as a strong cinnamon like Opium. I actually prefer Opium over Opium PH because of the cinnamon note.
    I have tried Opium since I made the list above, and while I am still making my way thru all of the formulations (EdT, EdP, SdP and parfum) it's very nice and cinnamon-y.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Mike, you have done a wonderful compilation of nearly all things cinnamon. BRAVO! However, I am reluctant to recommend as you requested because I am obviously not as experienced and I feel you only deserve a recommendation with integrity, i.e., from someone who knows every fragrance on your list. There are so many that I don't know that to say I like JHL and Jazz for fragrances with cinnamon would be unjustly discrediting others that might be great. Heck, I usually trust your opinion so when you figure this out, let us known so I will have an idea what to try! lol
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    I was surprised by how much I enjoyed wearing Witness by Bogart - it's all about cinnamon and is not too sweet nor too dry - just right. Bogart is a great cinnamon for Christmas season. You might also give Bond's H.O.T. Always a trial run - I really liked that one when I sampled it a while back.

But, you already have my two all time favorite cinnamon fragrances - that quiet but very incensey CdG Sherbert series Cinnamon - it's brilliant! / and Profumum Santalum.
    Since I have worn Witness many times, I'm starting to like it more and more. I hate the aldehydes at the top, but the middle and base notes are so nice. And I FINALLY got to try HOT Always and I love it. The patchouli/cinnamon combo is great. But then I kinda hate BN9, so I'm not sure I'd ever own a bottle of it.

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    The only Cinnamon heavy frag that I can recommend that I haven't seen on the thread is one that you have tried already Serge Noire. Perfect for the cooler weather and one of the best releases of 2008.
    Serge Noire is bomb-diggity good, isn't it. It's like a private little room full of spices, incense and smoke - in a bottle. It's the one scent that I will NOT wear to work...I don't want to ruin it's olfactory associations at all. To me, SN is a scent I want to associate with relaxation, meditation and comfort.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 5th December 2008 at 08:43 PM.

-- Jack Kerouac

Mike, did you get a chance to try your sample of Diptyque L'Eau? If not, please do. I'm not an expert but this, IMO, is as much cinnamon as they could possibly put in a fragrance. So sample on a cold day. If you do, it would be interesting to read what you think of it, because I too am on the fence with this one (but it's been growing on me).
    Last edited by Mostapha; 5th December 2008 at 09:33 PM.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Have you tried CdG's Jaisalmer? It's cinnamon and woods; I wear it a lot during the holidays, sometimes layered with SL Chene. I own Mouchoir de Monsieur and have never noticed cinnamon. I'll have to revisit it. I can send you a sample, if you'd like. Serge Noire has pushed all my buttons as of late. I'm hoping Santa has been listening to me carrying on about it for the last couple of months.

Quote Originally Posted by Mostapha View Post
    Mike, did you get a chance to try your sample of Diptyque L'Eau? If not, please do. I'm not an expert but this, IMO, is as much cinnamon as they could possibly put in a fragrance. So sample on a cold day. If you do, it would be interesting to read what you think of it, because I too am on the fence with this one (but it's been growing on me).
    I'm curious about this one, L'Eau, the first fragance by diptyque based in a poutpurri... Is there any fragance able to compare it? For example, the top notes are like Rousse x10, I don't know, only to make me an idea (I didn't tested yet)

Quote Originally Posted by Kakihara View Post
    I'm curious about this one, L'Eau, the first fragance by diptyque based in a poutpurri... Is there any fragance able to compare it? For example, the top notes are like Rousse x10, I don't know, only to make me an idea (I didn't tested yet)
    Sorry I have nothing to compare it to. Maybe someone else can help. L'Eau for me is just a very powerful blast of clove and cinnamon, and I have never smelled anything like it before.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Mike - I'm glad you're not the only one who doesnt like Diesel Zero Plus. Honestly, who wants to smell like regurgitated cinamonn donuts and potpurri.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Blog Entries

I don't see Shiseido Basala on the list. If the reason you didn't like Carlos Santana is beccause of its booziness/sweetness, then do give Basala a try. My favorite of the lot is Aramis JHL. Try it when its a bit chilly (kinda hard in FL weather), and you might fall for it.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Penhaligon's Elixir. Cinnamon, Incense, Rose, etc. Impressive.

I found some cinnamon in Possets' Perpetual Motion Machine. It's by no means the main note; PMM is more about tea and spices and woods and vanilla. Either way, it's the single most interesting scent Possets has churned out.

I might go ahead and try some of these, though cinnamon is a notoriously tricky note for me. If it goes anywhere near the artificial flavouring fiery red jawbreaker type "cinnamon", I bail.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

I get more clove than cinnamon from Diptyque's L'Eau. I wasn't a fan of it when I got my sample last summer. But I should try it again; maybe colder weather will improve my feelings about it!