Code of Conduct

Talking What do YOU think I would like based on this?

Hi basenoters. I'm new to this and this is my first post. I'm looking to expand beyond the so called "Department Store" fragrances. I'm the Fragrance Expert at my Sephora in Jersey and own just about everything they have. I was just wondering if you could give me suggestions based on the ones I own and like. I had the pleasure of meeting Frederick Malle and we talked for a good half hour on fragrances in NY and he gave me Musc Ravager which I find to be raunchy, sexy as hell, and nothing like what i previously owned...anyway thats my only non commercial frag so any suggestions?

1-Dunhill Man
    2-Dunhill Desire
    3-Dunhill Pursuit
    4-Hanae Mori
    5-Michael Kors
    6-Black Jeans
    7-Lolita Lempicka
    8-John Varvatos
    9-Gaultier2
    10-Very Irresistable
    11-Allure Homme
    12-YSL L'Homme
    13-Musc Ravager

Based on these what do you think? I've noticed a trend of woodsy orientals,

Default Re: What do YOU think I would like based on this?

Givenchy Pi, Ralph Lauren Romance Silver, Armani code...come to mind right off since you like varvatos, Allure, Gaultier.

You might also like bulgari black if you like black jeans...both have that black rubber note or tar note, whichever.

Also look into Santa Maria Novella Musk(Muschino)...can check her out at Lafco.com...this is a real rich, beautifully crafted frag.

If you like Kors, you might like Bogart pour homme

if you like lolita lempika, hanae mori try minotaure by paloma picasso

You also may like Vera wang for men...has a lovable sweet herbaceous drydown...its awesome but im sure you have already tried this one working at Sephora.

Hope these suggestions help.
    Last edited by jdnba; 20th February 2008 at 03:41 AM.

Creed, Its the best.
    Acier Aluminium i garuntee you will like. Nothing like it AT ALL. NOTHING
    Also, Bois du Portugal, Baie De Genievre
    These Creed frags are simply unbeatable.
    Those three i mentioned, You have NOTHING like. If you try them...You'll forget about the stuff you already have.
    Last edited by mttafire; 20th February 2008 at 03:37 AM.

You might enjoy:

Jaipur EDP/Lalique EDP
    Lalique's Encre Noir
    M7,
    L'Occitane's Eau des Baux,
    Bond's New Haarlem, Bleecker Street
    Yohji Homme,
    Davidoff's Relax, Zino
    Montale's Sandalsliver/SKIN, Blue Amber
    L'Artisan Parfumeur's Mechant Loup, Dzing!
    PDN's New York
    Guerlain's Habit Rouge/Heritage
    MPG's Ambre Precieux
    Creed's Bois du Portugal, Royal English Leather
    Diptyque's Eau Lente
    Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan, Chergui...
    Agatha Brown's Conquest,
    Halston's Catalyst

The fragrances you have listed ebb and flow between the woodsy and sweet... the the above-mentioned fragrances fit that bill.. you will receive countless other wonderful suggestions, so this is just a start

good luck!
    Last edited by NearFantastica; 20th February 2008 at 03:37 AM.
    Current Top 5: Timbuktu, Gris Clair, J. Cassanova, Zino, Rose Poivree

from gaultier2, you might enjoy a little burberry brit. otherwise i'd reccomend you blow $50 on somewhere like luckyscent and sample. i spent several hours just browsing through and got a heap of blind samples based solely on the descriptions on the website. ended up with an awesome bottle of l'air du desert marocain, with plans to buy some devine l'homme sage and pg un crime exotique.
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

You met Frederic Malle and he gave you Musc Ravageur??!! Wow, I'm inpressed - and jealous.

I agree with NearFantastica's recommendations - particularly in respect of Serge Lutens, Diptyque and L'Artisan Parfumeur - if you want to explore niche I think these houses are a good place to start, and some experience of them is essential (even if they don't please you altogether). I also agree with the specific fragrances from these houses that NearFantastica suggested, in light of your current collection. I would also add Arabie to the Serge Lutens list.

Also, give the Hermès Hermèssence lines a try, particularly Ambre Narguilé if you like sweetish orientals.

You would like Le Male and Au Masculine since a number of the frags listed contain vanilla. You might even like Pi.

Another vanilla suggestion is V&R's Antidote. As far as niche stuff goes, my only experience is with the MPG house, and I must say I do enjoy them a lot. Very raw, very natural. I'd highly recommend scoring samples of Iris Bleu Gris, Route du Vetiver, and Plain de Graisir.

I would recommend Creed Bois du Portugal and L'Occitane Eav des Bavx for spicy/sweet woods.
    Hermes Bel Ami, Zileri Sartoriale, L'Artisan Timbuktu are three more unique spice/woods.
    Also, since you like Michael Kors, I expect you'll like Very Valentino, or one/both of the Creed Tabaromes. Also, maybe try Canali Men once or twice.

Thanks so much for the suggestions I will take them seriously with great consideration.

Oh and yes I met him. He was at the Barneys in New York on the lower level talking with an SA. I had no idea who he was until he walked over to me so that I could try his line. Hes very selective in who he lets have his fragrances. Must be educated to a certain degree otherwise he tells you to leave like he did to this fat women who kept touching his bottles.

Wow!! A lot of Basenoters would kill for the opportunity. Consider yourself very fortunate

I'd be surprised if you weren't taken by MPG's Ambre Precieux or Santal Noble, or the equivalents in the Serge Lutens line.

Others have mentioned Creeds and other niche scents, but be wary - don't buy without giving niche scents a good testing. Spray some on your wrist and see if they're still there with some power after 3 hours. Many of the Creeds pass that test on me (Green Irish Tweed and Silver Mountain Water) but many fail miserably (Acier Aluminium, Millesime Imperial).

To my mind, no matter how good they smell, there is nothing worse than spending big bucks on scents that have conked out by lunch time.
    Renato

Based on your list I would recommend trying scents that are beyond the sweet category.
    At the same time, some of my favs are not mentioned so here is my list:

Bvlgari Black
    Rochas Man
    Rochas Lui
    Guerlain L'Instant
    Armani Emporio Night
    Cacharel Nemo
    Dolce Gabbana By
    Thierry Mugler B*Men
    Yohji Yamamoto Yohji
    Lagerfeld Jako
    Prada PH
    Givenchy Xerius Rouge
    Chanel Antaeus
    Chanel Egoiste Platinum
    Lanvin Arpege Pour Homme

You are right in identifying that you like woodu orientals, and sweeter frags. On that basis I'd suggest:

Chanel Egoiste (not Platinum) - if you don't take any other suggestions of mine, please take this one!
    Creed Bois du Portugal
    Boucheron Jaipur EDP
    YSL Opium and M7

Agree with you on Musc Ravageur!

Then I'd throw in a few so to diversify:

Terre d'Hermes - coz it's so damn good, versatile and multifaceted
    an old Dunhill (For Men 1934 or Edition) - coz you seem to like the brand, the old ones are infinitely better
    something fun and summery like Creed Erolfa or Bvlgari Aqua
    something macho like Rive Gauche, Azzaro or Tuscany, or maybe Narcisso Rodriguez?

Most of these are easily accessible in NYC and the internet for much cheaper.

Once you've tried those, you can branch out into Luckyscent samples from the micro-niche houses. Domenico Caraceni, Le Labo, and Nasomatto Duro are some of the "it" frags at the moment (with good justification).

Just a few random ideas!

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime