Code of Conduct

Smile Recomendations for a 14 year old girl

Hello,this is my first post on Basenotes. My little sister's birthday is coming up and I wanted to get her a new fragrance. she uses the average teen crap like Hollister and things of the sort. I want to convince her that there are better things out there. Unfortunately I have no idea what a 14 year old girl might enjoy. Thanks

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Recomendations for a 14 year old girl

That's easy. Tommy Girl by Tommy Hilfiger. Outstanding fragrance, easily TH's best fragrance. So good, I even own a bottle.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

That may be a viable option. I even like that one myself

Had she been even one day younger than 14 I could not have helped suggesting none.
    But let's say from 14 on a girl is slowly starting to step into "young lady territory".
    (In my book it is more like 16...but it's hard to fight the spirit of the times).

That being said, how about Coco Mademoiselle?. That smells very young yet refined to me. I know it is worn by many women much older than 14 but to me that is such a young smell without erring on the side of cheapie that it may be worth looking at...

Hi!

I can tell you which ones my 13 year old son likes, but you may not want to know about those!

My daughter is only six weeks old, so I don't have to worry about fragrances for her yet, but if she were older these are the scents I'd recommend: Helllo Kitty Momoberry, Nina (new) by Nina Ricci, Philosophy Baby Grace, Fragonard Juste un Baiser, Moea perfume, Coquette Tropique, Voluspa Pink Fatale, Voluspa Vanity, Voluspa Corsica, and Melissa Flagg Clementine. Philosophy Falling In Love is a favorite of both my sons (ages 13 and 8) but my husband likes it too. It's a perfect "all ages" feminine fragrance that's sweet, comforting, and softly pretty.
    Last edited by Tovah; 20th February 2008 at 08:31 PM.

Lacome Hypnose.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

My GF, who is 15, like me, uses Coco Mademoiselle, Delices de Cartier, Diesel Fuel for Life, Dior Addict (1 or 2, can't remember), Nina for Her and Emporio Armani Diamonds, that should give you enough choices !

Thumbs up Re: Recomendations for a 14 year old girl

Thank you for your replies, you've all been quite helpful.

Hope I'm not too late to join the party of suggestions!

I'm in the exact same boat as you; my little sister will be 14 in April. I've bought her L de Lolita Lempicka because she really really loves that one (always tries to steal it off my shelf and put some on). I know she also likes Pink Sugar, Miss Dior Cherie and Davidoff Echo Woman. All very youthful, sweet fragrances.

Talking Re: Recomendations for a 14 year old girl

nah never too late

I promise you that you don't need to go buy expensive niche perfumes now, please don't... No one will know but you, and I would bet the boys and girls at school won't appreciate it if you do.

I'm a teenager as well, and here's a young guy's opinion on what I like to smell on a girl:
    Go light, citrus, fruity, floral. Get 2 of the following and you should be fine.

-Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue
    -Marc Jacobs Daisy
    -Moschino I Love Love
    -Moschino Funny
    -Ralph Lauren Blue
    -Ralph Lauren Romance
    -Abercrombie 88
    -Victoria's Secret Very Sexy for Her
    -Britney Spears Curious
    -Britney Spears Fantasy, NOT for school, for extracurriculars
    --------------------------------------
    Oh, and I second Tovah's suggestion of Philosophy Falling In Love
    For more sophisticated, Chanel Coco Mademoiselle or Ralph Lauren Romance, but honestly, at 14 I don't think she should stray from "crap like Hollister." I think that comes with age, I used to be like that but I learned the ways through maturity, let her reach that on her own. She probably just wants to fit in with the popular kids at school, and as adults we think that's ridiculous, but it's so important for kids her age. But hey, if she wants to rebel against conformity, get Paco Rabanne Black XS for women.
    Last edited by somethinpositiv; 20th February 2008 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

Red face Re: Recomendations for a 14 year old girl

Can Can

My 14 year old daughter wears Princess and it really smells fabulous on her. She also wears Burberry Brit regularly. My 16 year old wearS Angel and Champs Elysees.

I'll second the Pink Sugar & Light Blue D&G. Also, Incanto Charms, Versace EDP, and Lolita Lempicka
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Thumbs up Re: Recomendations for a 14 year old girl

This really gives me alot to think about. As one of you kindly reminded me, I really shouldn't want her too grow up too fast ( if you know what I mean) *wink* *wink* and so I have decided on 2 scents that you have suggested. 1 young frag and 1 "mature" frag (coco mademoiselle and princess respectively) I really do think that she will love them. thanks for the advice. I am off to bed, goodnight.

My suggestions would be:

Estee Lauder Beautiful - because I loved it at that age, and
    Sarah Jessica Parker Lovely - I tried this the other day and my thought was that it would be perfect for a young girl -- it doesn't smell like "artifice", it smells light and natural (to me) and wholesome.

Honestly, get her Paris Hilton by Paris Hilton. You can get the 3.4 oz very cheap on the internet or they sell great gift sets everywhere.

Better yet, just any Paris Hilton fragrance in general. They are all very nice and perfect for a girl that age (My personal favorite is her newest one Can Can)
    Last edited by thisbekevinn; 21st February 2008 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Looking for Partial or Full Bottles Of:
    Silver Mountain Water
    Green Irish Tweed
    Scent of Peace

PM me please.

I actually smelled Hillary Duff (With love?) and it wasn't half bad.. I've actually received a lot of scent searching help in a thread recently so I'll offer up what I can!

If money is not an issue, spring for a bottle of Creed's Millesime Imperial... I have yet to meet a girl who didn't absolutely love the smell of this... (not to say they arent out there)

for something different, I suggest Prada for women... strong patchouli note... I adore it, though I have no idea what your sister's prefs are.

Hmmm.. haven't been much help, have I?

a.
    Current Top 5: Timbuktu, Gris Clair, J. Cassanova, Zino, Rose Poivree

My sister ,who's 15 wears Be delicious+BD Red,BS Curious,The Escada series,Laura and also enjoys Pure Poison.

Clinique Happy
    Esprit Life

Besides extra fruity stuff, my 14 year old daughter likes Escada Into the Blue.

for a fourteen year old girl, i don't think you could go past marc jacobs daisy. great scent, not too overpowering, fantastic bottle... give it a try
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

My 13 year old daughter's favorites-

Ralph - Ralph Lauren
    Happy - Clinique
    Paris Hilton - Paris Hilton
    (similar to Ralph but longer lasting)
    Love Spell - Victoria's Secret

And her current absolute favorite that she wears the most:

Love's Baby Soft - usually layered over Johnson's Baby Lotion (I swear I didn't teach her about layering)

She's smelled and tried on all of the perfumes that I have as well as going with me on sniffing expeditions. Heavier, more "mature" fragrances aren't appealing to her(or her friends) at all.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Lacome Hypnose.
    You're not serious, are you?
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

I'm 17 and really into sweet stuff - I'd recommend Tommy Girl, Pink Sugar, Lolita Lempicka, Burberry Brit, With Love by Hilary Duff, Cacharel Promesse, YSL Baby Doll Paris, Paris Hilton and Fantasy - although most of these have already been mentioned before.

Just one thing about Fantasy is it's extremely popular - does she like wearing stuff everyone else wears or want to be a bit different? If she wants to be a bit different opt for Pink Sugar I stopped wearing Fantasy awhile ago just coz everyone else was wearing it - especially a lot of customers at work (Italian restaurant).

Good luck choosing something!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    That's easy. Tommy Girl by Tommy Hilfiger. Outstanding fragrance, easily TH's best fragrance. So good, I even own a bottle.
    Yeah, so do I. And I even wear it sometimes too! :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by sanatik View Post
    You're not serious, are you?

<butt in mode> What's wrong with Hypnose? Personal taste accounted for and all that, I think it's a perfectly fine fragrance for a 14-year-old.
    Last edited by Clemmie; 21st February 2008 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Quote Originally Posted by jillsy View Post
    I stopped wearing Fantasy awhile ago just coz everyone else was wearing it - especially a lot of customers at work (Italian restaurant).
    Ya shouldn't have stopped! I would give any waitress wearing Fantasy a better tip
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

I changed my mind about the Coco Mademoiselle because I found out that my grandma owns that one. I am afraid that my sister will notice and be hesitant to wear it. Who knew grandma had such good taste!

i agree with the folks who said light blue by d&g. its very nice. i also agree with moschino cheap and chic line. dream angels heavenly is also a nice one.
    ~*~*~*~*~
    One by one the lava lamps are stealing my sanity...

Quote Originally Posted by somethinpositiv View Post
    Ya shouldn't have stopped! I would give any waitress wearing Fantasy a better tip
    Haha pity you aren't in Australia. Nah people hardly tip here anyway - is it just an American thing?

Actually I wear it occasionally (bf likes it) but usually layered with other things - never on it's own anymore.

Aqualina's Pink Sugar or Chocolovers
    Lolita Lempicka - L

Quote Originally Posted by cimebue View Post
    Hello,this is my first post on Basenotes. My little sister's birthday is coming up and I wanted to get her a new fragrance. she uses the average teen crap like Hollister and things of the sort. I want to convince her that there are better things out there. Unfortunately I have no idea what a 14 year old girl might enjoy. Thanks

When I was a tween my dad bought me Versace's Baby Rose Jeans and I wore it until I left for college. It is a beautiful, light floral, and something about it says girlish, sweet, and innocence. Way too innocuous for a woman but perfect for a girl.
    Ayesha

Cacharel Anaïs Anaïs is a classic young girl fragrance. I wore it from thirteen to eighteen.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Quote Originally Posted by sanatik View Post
    You're not serious [about recommending Hypnose], are you?
    Sure, why not. It's light, fruity, and just a bit sexy (and while I'm sure as a parent you may not want your child to smell sexy, they of course want to.)

What do you find wrong with that suggestion?
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 22nd February 2008 at 05:25 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

When I was fifteen my dad brought me back a bottle of Miss Dior when he went on a business trip
    to Montreal. It was probably lost on my boyfriend at the time, but it started me on a great path! He liked Narcisse Noire on my mom, too. Quite a far cry from the fruity stuff (Love Spell, Pure Seduction, from Victoria's Secret) my daughter likes. Girls' clothing is far more, ahem, provocative today, so perhaps their scents should be more juvenile.

Talking Re: Recomendations for a 14 year old girl

It seems as though D&G light blue is a popular suggestion but alas, I have only smelled the mens version.I should go smell it IMMEDIATELY. this is a good excuse to go to the perfume store!

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post
    Cacharel Anaïs Anaïs is a classic young girl fragrance. I wore it from thirteen to eighteen.
    I like this idea, especially for a girl who is not looking to smell like her friends...although at 14 this is the goal, as I recall. At that age I would have been mortified to wear something "age appropriate" and wore Tigresse, Flambeau and Aphrodesia!

My 14 year old daughter wears Gucci Envy ( having tried a tester) and also DKNY Be Delicious.
    However I don't think you can beat getting a selection of samples and letting her choose, with the promise of a full bottle for birthdays, Christmas etc. It is surprising what a 14 year old girl will like...

I like that idea fancynance maybe I should buy a buttload of sample and let her choose. that way I cannot possibly buy something she doesn't like.

My 14 year old niece requested the original Paris Hilton for last Christmas, which I got for her. She also got Cashmere Mist, which she says is her other signature scent.
    My older niece, 19, likes Versace Bright Crystal, which I think would work for a 14yr old as well.

Summer Hill by Crabtree & Evelyn would be perfect for a 14 year old. It also has matching bath and body products, like shower gels and lotions, and comes in pretty hatbox gift sets.

Sung by Alfred Sung or Pure Poison by Dior or the lovely Wish by Anna Sui... or Promesse

Valentino V is nice for someone young. Or Rock'n'Rose.
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

My first two fragrances were the reformulation of L'Interdit (a gift for my senior prom) and one of the Aqua Allegorias) Foliflora. Some of the Aqua Allegorias would be great for a young girl- not too complicated, pretty. I really enjoyed Foliflora- a very pleasant, youthful, green floral. They're also pretty reasonably priced and there are a lot to choose from.

Hiris by Hermes.
    Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

Teddius

I second quite a few other recommendations:

Versace Baby Rose Jeans
    Ralph
    Tommy Girl
    Miss Dior Cherie
    Philosophy Falling in Love, Amazing Grace or Baby Grace
    The Body Shop White Musk (I wore this at 14!)
    Anna Sui Dolly Girl or Dolly Girl Bonjour L'Amour
    DKNY Be Delicious
    Crabtree and Evelyn Summer Hill
    L'Occitane Green Tea with Jasmine

I think the key words are sweet, clean and uncomplicated. I'd stay away from Britney and Paris, not because the fragrances are bad, but because they're everywhere and they're often worn by, ummmm, girls who aren't as classy as your sister surely is.

CH by Carolina Herrera and KenzoAmour are nice options as well.

Coco Mademoiselle uses a hazardous chemical called benzophenone-3 as a sunscreen. Some people (like me) are highly allergic to it and it has been *banned* in sunscreens for children, because it gets into the bloodstream and children cannot eliminate it from their systems as fast as adults can. People who have babies and small children should avoid it, too! The lotion does not contain this sunscreen, so it is a better alternative.

Edit: These chemical sunscreens added to beauty products have also been found to have estrogenic properties that can lead to abnormal development in young people and breast cancer in adults. fyi
    Last edited by beachroses; 2nd March 2008 at 10:05 PM.

I wouldn't suggest Coco Mademoiselle nor Pure Poison: they have too much sillage!
    I would opt for a lighter scent, as Light Blue or l'Eau Par Kenzo.
    If you were to say to the grown-ups: “I saw a beautiful house made of rosy brick, with geraniums in the windows and doves on the roof,” they would not be able to get an idea of that house at all. You have have to say to them: “I saw a house that cost $20,000.” Then they would exclaim: “Oh, what a pretty house that is!”

(extract from "The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

Think about it...

I'm way late, but I think the best scent for a young girl is Annick Goutal's Petite Cherie. Fresh cut pears, grass, and flowers. It is such a sweet sixteen kind of scent.
    "The death of Satan was a tragedy for the imagination."