Code of Conduct

Default behind the mask... fragrance face/content incongruency

As we all know, bottle design..name and marketing are all a huge part in selling a fragrance. If you had to choose 'one' fragrance in your collection that seems to exhibit the biggest incongruency between it's looks and it's content.. in other words.. (which scent bottle, colour, styling.. would you say is in most contract with what it delivers). What would you suggest as an alternative?

I would have to say that Gucci Envy's bottle doesn't suit the fragrance itself. Envy is an aptly coloured green, sensual oriental that has a snake like slither about it. There's nothing about the clumsy rectangular bottle and overbearing black cap that enhances the fragrance. Perhaps a bottle with contours, curves and a less intrusive cap might complete the Envy experience for me!

This is what happens when I have a night off! (heh)

a.
    Current Top 5: Timbuktu, Gris Clair, J. Cassanova, Zino, Rose Poivree

Default Re: behind the mask... fragrance face/content incongruency

Interesting. Yes! As I was reading your post I immediately thought of the Envy bottle. Then, lo and behold, it's the one you mentioned. I expected it to smell like a soapy, modern, trendy, CK-like frag. I find it to be a softer version of Opium PH. So I would say (for me) that a less sleek look is in order. A more traditional, upright bottle would suit it to me. I think something with a wider top to signify strength (like the shape of the masculine frame.) I disagree on the color though. I feel the green is too cool looking. I think a warmer yellow to orange would convey its scent identity more accurately.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

L'Anarchiste. Should have a bottle evocative of a buddhist temple. Would change the image and perception of this scent entirely.

Azzaro Visit. I've got to retest this one before I suggest an alternative. I just remember expecting something modern and fresh, and I got pepper, cedar, and nutmeg.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Basenotes Institution

Idole by Lubin

The bottle is ultra silly - everytime I see it, I giggle to myself. It looks like something you'd see on the shelf of Disney World's Polynesian Resort gift shop.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Opium pour Homme's edp version is bottled appropriately, and Opium pour Homme Eau d'Orient is bottled, well, acceptably.
    (I mean, at least it's emblazoned with some bamboo stalks and shoots.)

But the original Opium pour Homme is in a boring bottle, IMHO -- it deserves something far more exotic and interesting.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 21st February 2008 at 03:47 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Idole by Lubin

The bottle is ultra silly - everytime I see it, I giggle to myself. It looks like something you'd see on the shelf of Disney World's Polynesian Resort gift shop.
    haha! totally! You don't get a sense of it just looking at it online but up close in person it's kinda shocking... i thought, "THAT'S what I've been seeing all this time?"

Mine is Gucci Rush. The bottle concept is cool but one could pour that fragrance into a beautiful and very plain (ala Jo Malone) bottle and rename it very minimalistically "white incense" and it be very successful in that interpretation. Rush, the name, and the bottle, to me, create a mental image incongruent with the beautiful veil of a fragrance inside.
    Last edited by nthny; 21st February 2008 at 04:01 PM.