Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool Man's man fragrance thread

Please recommend me something unusual. I'm 23 but I love to wear fragrances that women have not smelled on a man before. I'm growing out of my collection, the only fragrance that I wear now is Terre D'Hermes and Creed Aventus. I've received numerous compliments for the Hermes and would like something that smells very manly.

I've read good reviews about the Creed Tabarome original however I don't know where to purchase it as I would only want it from a credible source.
    Last edited by Forza; 19th October 2010 at 08:26 PM.

Default Re: Recommend me a man's man frangrance

Very manly you say? How about Mazzolari's Lui: only available at luckyscent.com, and you can buy inexpensive samples to try it out. It is totally unique, and I can almost guarantee that your lady friends have never experienced anything this one before-- and neither have you! Remember let it dry down for a good 10-20 minutes before you make any decisions. Lui is going to last all day. Use it sparingly and you will be amazed.

Also from luckyscent: Il Profumo's G-11. Same conditions as above apply.
    Last edited by Joe_Frances; 7th October 2010 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Thought of another one.

This is my kind of thread
    Try these

J Peterman 1903
    Dunhill Edition or Classic 1934
    Chanel Antaeus (vintage if possible but new formulation is fine too)
    Ungaro III
    Jaipur EdT/EdP
    Maxims Pour Homme
    Creed Bois De Portugal
    Montale Black Aoud
    Loewe Esencia
    Amouage Epic and Gold

I can keep going, but I will stop here for sanity's sake
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Test Mazzolari Lui, I've found it to be a huge winner & receives compliments on top of each other.
    Another is Midnight in Paris. Personally, I think it's hugely underrated because of pricing I suppose and the trigger quick comparison with Bvlgari Black.

Add +1 for Maxims Pour Homme. Maybe consider Marquis de Sade too.

I will try to test some of those in the upcoming weeks, please try to recommend ones that I would be able to find in a store as I'm too impatient to wait for online orders.

Green Irish Tweed by Creed
    Black Aoud by Montale

Wearing a sample of Green Irish Tweed right now, definitely on the long term purchase list.

Default Re: Recommend me a man's man fragrance

Burberry London for men
    Tabac Original
    Rive Gauche pour homme
    Chanel Antaeus

Chanel Antaeus - masculine and classy
    Van Cleef and Arpel PH - same
    Creed Bois de Portugal
    Above, probably not many 23 yr old guys wearing (some consider them more old men scents)

Mazzolari Lui is another great suggestion

Manteaus, oops I mean Anteaus.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennard View Post
    Burberry London for men
    Tabac Original
    Rive Gauche pour homme
    Chanel Antaeus
    All of these and I would also not hesitate to recommend Jacomo de Jacomo. Possibly even Kanon, VC&A Tsar and Trussardi Uomo.
    "You just keep me hangin' on." -- Farewell, Lou.

Man's man? Just as a start....

Aramis
    Bois du Portugal
    Polo

TOM FORD Italian Cypress

Dependent

K o u r o s

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Frances View Post
    Very manly you say? How about Mazzolari's Lui: only available at luckyscent.com, and you can buy inexpensive samples to try it out. It is totally unique, and I can almost guarantee that your lady friends have never experienced anything this one before-- and neither have you! Remember let it dry down for a good 10-20 minutes before you make any decisions. Lui is going to last all day. Use it sparingly and you will be amazed.

Ordered two samples of Lui and one of G-11, will report upon receiving.

Quote Originally Posted by Forza View Post
    I will try to test some of those in the upcoming weeks, please try to recommend ones that I would be able to find in a store as I'm too impatient to wait for online orders.
    If your location wasn't top secret it would help. We don't know what stores are conveniently near "undisclosed" location.

Cool Re: Recommend me a man's man fragrance

1. Check out the " Powerhouse fragrance users. " Group here.

2. Read about the powerhouses. Then check them out individually in the reviews section.

3. Or skip 1 & 2 and just read my reviews. Damn! I'm good! ---Naw, don't skip 1 & 2--it's more responsibility than I can bear

4. Try to order decants if you can't get a whiff of these scents at a brick and mortar store. Whenever possible DO NOT BUY BLIND; which brings me to--

5. Go to http://theperfumedcourt.com/ and type " Vintage Tabarome " in their search engine. It's one of my all time favorites, btw. A 1.5 ml decant should be enough to know if you're going to like it. (2.5 if you're really concerned and want to play it safe)

And welcome to the madness!

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Rive Gauche
    Gucci Pour Homme
    L'Eau Bleue D'Issey pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani View Post
    1. Check out the " Powerhouse fragrance users. " Group here.

2. Read about the powerhouses. Then check them out individually in the reviews section.

3. Or skip 1 & 2 and just read my reviews. Damn! I'm good! ---Naw, don't skip 1 & 2--it's more responsibility than I can bear

4. Try to order decants if you can't get a whiff of these scents at a brick and mortar store. Whenever possible DO NOT BUY BLIND; which brings me to--

5. Go to http://theperfumedcourt.com/ and type " Vintage Tabarome " in their search engine. It's one of my all time favorites, btw. A 1.5 ml decant should be enough to know if you're going to like it. (2.5 if you're really concerned and want to play it safe)

And welcome to the madness!

Cheers,

Mario
    Great, ordered a sample. I was advised by Nordstrom and NEiman Marcus to call the Creed store in New York tomorrow to see if they have the private reserve Tabarome, which I will do.
    StylinLA, I'm in Seattle.

Alfred Sung Hei. It's like an improved version of Aqua Velva. Fairly inexpensive.

Also, Old Spice. Around $5 at your local drugstore.

Both of these are fairly common scents - not at all hitting your unusual criterion - but if you're looking for "man's man," you'd definitely be on the right track. Good values for the money.
    Last edited by mrcologneguy; 7th October 2010 at 11:46 PM.

Rive Gauche - inexpensive, manly. Good for that Seattle weather.

BTW, Vintage Tabarome and Tabarome Millesime are two very different Creeds. Make sure you specify VT.

I've posted this review vid several times, but it never fails to entertain and inform
    Last edited by adonis; 7th October 2010 at 05:46 AM.

L'instant is a favourite of mine, it has that woody base that makes it masculine (at least for me) but it still has some sweetness - women loves it.

Great, ordered a sample. I was advised by Nordstrom and NEiman Marcus to call the Creed store in New York tomorrow to see if they have the private reserve Tabarome, which I will do.
    StylinLA, I'm in Seattle.
    Great. Thank you. Now we know some of the possibilities. Seattle opens up your options.

The estimable Mario speaks truly. Some of the powerhouse frags are worth a look and most can be had reasonably (not that you're bargain shopping).

I will advocate for Versace L'Homme and Chanel Antaeus. Both were 80s scents that are potent and manly. You will not smell like the "aquatic" crowd. Van Clef & Arpels Pour Homme is also a killer. Big time sillage. Giorgio for Men another strong 80s monster.

As to Vintage Tabarome, I won't tell you "forget it." But I can assure you the Creed store will likely have none. If they did, this crowd would have pounced on it. If you find with a private collector, he (or she) will gouge you for it. It is magnificent indeed, but a rare find now. If you are interested in sampling, indeed the Perfumed Court can likely sell you a small sample for a premium price. If you are "one of us...one of us" you might want to pop for a sample to smell a masterful piece of "manly man" perfumery.

If you're a walking boner looking for some male fragrance tips, pass on it. Any that can be found will be outrageously expensive.

There are plenty of other good options (loving Vintage Tabarome as much as I do, I would not pay through the nose for it. There are other great scents that will meet your needs and desires.)

Too, get patient and buy some samples. Maz Lui suggested by others is a monster of a scent. I tried some and it f-ed up my sinuses. PG L'Ombre Fauve is another sneaky monster that is surprisingly sexy and werewolf like. Smells like animal fur.

The 80s powerhouses may hit home with you. But there are some killer "niche" scents available that you'll have to exercise some patience to sample and buy.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    If you're a walking boner looking for some male fragrance tips, pass on it. Any that can be found will be outrageously expensive.
    My band's name back in the grunge days

New York by Parfums de Nicolai

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Great. Thank you. Now we know some of the possibilities. Seattle opens up your options.

The estimable Mario speaks truly. Some of the powerhouse frags are worth a look and most can be had reasonably (not that you're bargain shopping).

I will advocate for Versace L'Homme and Chanel Antaeus. Both were 80s scents that are potent and manly. You will not smell like the "aquatic" crowd. Van Clef & Arpels Pour Homme is also a killer. Big time sillage. Giorgio for Men another strong 80s monster.

As to Vintage Tabarome, I won't tell you "forget it." But I can assure you the Creed store will likely have none. If they did, this crowd would have pounced on it. If you find with a private collector, he (or she) will gouge you for it. It is magnificent indeed, but a rare find now. If you are interested in sampling, indeed the Perfumed Court can likely sell you a small sample for a premium price. If you are "one of us...one of us" you might want to pop for a sample to smell a masterful piece of "manly man" perfumery.

There are plenty of other good options (loving Vintage Tabarome as much as I do, I would not pay through the nose for it. There are other great scents that will meet your needs and desires.)

Too, get patient and buy some samples. Maz Lui suggested by others is a monster of a scent. I tried some and it f-ed up my sinuses. PG L'Ombre Fauve is another sneaky monster that is surprisingly sexy and werewolf like. Smells like animal fur.

The 80s powerhouses may hit home with you. But there are some killer "niche" scents available that you'll have to exercise some patience to sample and buy.
    I just hope that those will not be too off-putting to the ladies around me because I'm only 23 and most of them expect men like me to wear something more hip and mainstream, however I think I can pull it off. Right now I'm looking more to experiment rather than switch to the powerhouses alltogether. As far as the Tabarome, I will wait for my sample to arrive before beginning the hunt for it. How different is the Vintage versus the Millessime? When I purchased the Aventus I sampled the Tabarome but can't remember too much.

Hermes Bel Ami
    Hermes Equipage

Another great frag along these lines is Tuscany by Aramis

i'm not a man's man but my uncle is and he happens to love cologne too. he actually wears generic scents and doesn't fully understand the concept of niche when i told him they're only sold in paris in the case of exclusives or don't have many distributors or something like that. he just goes that doesn't make sense hehe! he likes polo explorer, dolce and gabbana for men, armani, lacoste. he doesn't know what creed is when i mentioned git. he knows cool water i guess.

if i were to get him something perhaps it would be these...

creed GIT
    ysl rive gauche
    guerlain vetiver

I just hope that those will not be too off-putting to the ladies around me because I'm only 23 and most of them expect men like me to wear something more hip and mainstream, however I think I can pull it off. Right now I'm looking more to experiment rather than switch to the powerhouses alltogether. As far as the Tabarome, I will wait for my sample to arrive before beginning the hunt for it. How different is the Vintage versus the Millessime? When I purchased the Aventus I sampled the Tabarome but can't remember too much.

Well now you're waffling. Hip and mainstream scents are not terribly "manly," nor are they anything like Vintage Tabarome which is where your original post started.

I'm not attacking any of the modern scents or those who wear them. I have Aventus, Bleu de Chanel and L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme. They are plenty "masculine" and modern and well received by women.

But you started out asking for something "women hadn't smelled before" and quizzing about a very, very old school fragrance.

Now you're flipping back to "I have to be young and hip." People have been tossing out some monsters that are unlike most contemporary scents. There are a lot of great suggestions here, but they may not all, if any, be consiered "hip and mainstream."

Tabarome Millesime is a fine scent. I like it a lot. It is a more modern take by Creed on a tobacco scent. It share little with Vintage Tabarome. It is citrus, ginger and tobacco and quite "manly."

Vintage Tabarome is very potent. I gave a sample of it to a woman I work with who is a bit of scent fan. I sprayed it on a card.

She sniffed it and it brought a tear to her eye. She wasn't crying from joy. It's strong stuff, theoretically created at a time when daily bathing was not common. But it is a delight to wear.

Get patient, buy or obtain some samples and find your way.

Spanish Leather by Geo F Trumper

Clubman Bay Rum by Pinaud

Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpels

I think that Davidoff Adventure deserves a mention. Probably not many women have smelled it, but the first day I wore it to work, it got the girls' attention.

I love Habit Rouge... reading the whole post i've got lost and don't know what kind of frag are you looking for anymore.

Anyway, habit rouge is manly, is elegant and can be pulled on any occasion.
    I love Antaeus and it's going to be my next full bottle purchase, don't care if i'm in my late twenties.
    I loved Chergui too, from Serge Lutens

Any of the frags that our fellow basenoters are telling you are good options, not very common and very manly. They know what they talk about.

Please recommend me something unusual. I'm 23 but I love to wear fragrances that women have not smelled on a man before. I'm growing out of my collection, the only fragrance that I wear now is Terre D'Hermes and Creed Aventus. I've received numerous compliments for the Hermes and would like something that smells very manly
    Not many places carry it retail, but Yatagan fits the requirements of being unusual, manly, and not a wallet-breaker. Like TdH, it has a dry, natural smell to it.

As to Aramis, Antaeus, Quorum, and company - don't forget that the "old school" fragrances wouldn't be worn by fathers and grandfathers if they drove eligible women away!

Quote Originally Posted by Hob Dobson View Post
    Not many places carry it retail, but Yatagan fits the requirements of being unusual, manly, and not a wallet-breaker. Like TdH, it has a dry, natural smell to it.
    +1!

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    +1!
    +2!

Yup, I too gotta recommend Yatagan yet again!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

rive gauche if you want something reasonable, bois du portugal if price does not matter.

DeepSilence

Pasha De Cartier

Got my samples of Mazzolari Lui and Il Profumo G-11, needless to say both are very unique fragrances, never smelled anything quite like them. I already purchased a bottle of Vintage Tabarome and strongly considering purchasing either G-11 or Lui, or both. Thanks!

Sung Homme
    One Man Show
    Lomani
    Witness
    Lapidus pH
    Tsar

Kouros. End of thread?

If you're going to start sampling old school frags, you might also try Dior's Jules. Sage up top, a potent start, but dries down to an herbal woods musky manly smell. And it's uncommon.

If you want something more modern and mainstream, try Dior's Fahrenheit Absolute. A quick burst of Fahrenheit up top, but then it becomes a smoldering incense frag with a little bit of cumin. This one's garnered me several compliments, and I can't imagine there being a lot of people wearing this around.
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

Mazzolari Lui
    Tuscany by Aramis
    Parfum d'Habit by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

chanel "mantaeus", "tuscmany", escada pour homme, havanna (great), lalique( a little soft but still manly), gucci envy-i'll stop there.

Editions de Parfums French Lover

That is always such a difficult question. There are so many fragrances to choose from.

You have a nose. Use it!

This is just like a woman asking, "Reocommend a dress for me to wear."

Follow your OWN tastes as you explore different scent categories from different fragrance houses. Trust your own tastes to guide you. Don't ignore some of the scents marketed to women, and remember that gender labels are just a form of marketing and some men who are expert in fragrance use "women's" scents without hesitation.

Never wear what is touted as "hip" or chic, and avoid what they sell in young people's clothing boutiques as thousands of other young men will be wearing the same thing. You will only be part of the crowd. Bravo for your interest in being unique, and for being so young yet forging on into the houses of Creed and Hermes!

I would start with the Carons, too, like Yatagan: Le Troisieme Homme and Pour Un Homme.

You may venture into the "barbershoppy lines" (Trumper's) or the designers (Tom Ford).

Here are my recommendations off the cuff (with cufflinks, thank you very much!) Some are rare, others easy to find and on discount. Most young men will never have heard of these:

Hermes Bel Ami and Equipage
    Boucheron Pour Homme EDP or EDT
    Guerlain Habit Rouge and Mouchoir de Monsieur (Derby is pricey.)
    Richard James Eau de Toilette (might be hard to find but unique)
    1740 Marquis de Sade by Histoires de Parfums (pricey but easy to find and robust; nor overly flowery)

+1 for Aramis, a wonder floral/leather and a classic.

P.S. Are you really interested in a young woman who is so common and unsophisticated that she wants "one of the crowd" of young men? A young woman interested in a man with unique qualities is deserving of you. A man truly of himself does not care to please anyone but himself. A woman will be attracted to you--for yourself.
    Last edited by Primrose; 14th October 2010 at 04:26 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    Rive Gauche - inexpensive, manly. Good for that Seattle weather.

BTW, Vintage Tabarome and Tabarome Millesime are two very different Creeds. Make sure you specify VT.

I've posted this review vid several times, but it never fails to entertain and inform
    that guy is classic!! rive gauche is money!!!

Got my samples of Mazzolari Lui and Il Profumo G-11, needless to say both are very unique fragrances, never smelled anything quite like them. I already purchased a bottle of Vintage Tabarome and strongly considering purchasing either G-11 or Lui, or both. Thanks!
    I am going to order Lui, but I can not find G-11

Givenchy Gentleman. enuff said.

Issey Miyake L'Eau D'Issey
    Azzaro Chrome
    Bvlgari Aqva

Chevalier d'Orsay

Extremely under appreciated and under the radar.

Here are some manly frags that come to mind...

Azzaro Pour Homme
    Halston z-14
    Oscar De La Renta Pour Lui
    Original Chaps by Ralph Lauren
    Calvin by Calvin Klein
    Obsession Men by Calvin Klein
    Chanel's Antaeus, Egoiste, Pour Monsieur, Allure Edition Blanche (well, maybe a little less manly, but still good)
    Trussardi Uomo
    Fendi Uomo
    Cigar Afficianado
    Tuscany
    Aramis
    Gucci Pour Homme
    YSL Kouros, Rive Gauche, Pour Homme
    Worth Pour Homme
    Pierre Cardin original. Really manly, really good, and really cheap (but not cheap smelling).

DeepSilence

1+ One Man Show
    Drakkar Noir
    Armani Eau Pour Homme
    Santos De Cartier

YSL - Rive Gauche
    Creed - Acier Aluminium
    Tom Ford - Tuscan Leather

You're welcome. Let us/me know which you decide to go with. Would be interested in hearing which you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    That is always such a difficult question. There are so many fragrances to choose from.

You have a nose. Use it!

This is just like a woman asking, "Reocommend a dress for me to wear."

Follow your OWN tastes as you explore different scent categories from different fragrance houses. Trust your own tastes to guide you. Don't ignore some of the scents marketed to women, and remember that gender labels are just a form of marketing and some men who are expert in fragrance use "women's" scents without hesitation.

Never wear what is touted as "hip" or chic, and avoid what they sell in young people's clothing boutiques as thousands of other young men will be wearing the same thing. You will only be part of the crowd. Bravo for your interest in being unique, and for being so young yet forging on into the houses of Creed and Hermes!

I would start with the Carons, too, like Yatagan: Le Troisieme Homme and Pour Un Homme.

You may venture into the "barbershoppy lines" (Trumper's) or the designers (Tom Ford).

Here are my recommendations off the cuff (with cufflinks, thank you very much!) Some are rare, others easy to find and on discount. Most young men will never have heard of these:

Hermes Bel Ami and Equipage
    Boucheron Pour Homme EDP or EDT
    Guerlain Habit Rouge and Mouchoir de Monsieur (Derby is pricey.)
    Richard James Eau de Toilette (might be hard to find but unique)
    1740 Marquis de Sade by Histoires de Parfums (pricey but easy to find and robust; nor overly flowery)

+1 for Aramis, a wonder floral/leather and a classic.

P.S. Are you really interested in a young woman who is so common and unsophisticated that she wants "one of the crowd" of young men? A young woman interested in a man with unique qualities is deserving of you. A man truly of himself does not care to please anyone but himself. A woman will be attracted to you--for yourself.
    That's what I'm trying to shy away from, I had lots of mainstream designer house fragrances that I would like to replace with more niche flavours as my tastes are changing (plus my little cousin is just delighted since he gets the fragrances that are being replaced) So far I've bought Aventus, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed and got many samples of other. The reason I was asking for help is because I didn't really even know where to start.
    As far as the ladies go, it brings me more pleasure to have someone compliment me on the Creeds (which already happened multiple times) rather than on a D&G, Ferragamo or whatever else. I've had a girl tell me that the Tabarome smell alone probably has all the girls who know what they want running after me. I'm also looking for additional signature scents which so far for me has been Terre D'Hermes.

Quote Originally Posted by arthierry View Post
    I am going to order Lui, but I can not find G-11
    The G-11 is also on luckyscents.com
    http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detai...4400&section=2

You're welcome. Let us/me know which you decide to go with. Would be interested in hearing which you choose.
    Definitely, I'm giving myself a few more days to try out G-11 and Lui samples, both of which have been great (albeit pricey) suggestions before settling on one of those.

Any fragrance discussed in the Powerhouse Fragrance Users Group is a "man's man fragrance".

Check out the group. We're always looking for new members. And that invite goes out to anyone on BN.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.