Code of Conduct

Thread: Tonka bean

Default Tonka bean

I seem to have acquired a desire for fragrances with tonka bean. However, I do not know what the heck I'm smelling! Of the frags I've bought totally blind or sniffed in the store and made a quick, hasty purchase and happen to keep (not sold or swapped) contain tonka bean in them.

Is it a sweet scent or a mild spice? Both? I can't put my nose around it.

Here's what I have and like the scent that contain tonka bean with some of my thoughts.

Paul Smith Extreme - light and sweet almost can't smell it
    Allure pour Homme - woody spice with a sweet base
    Dunhill Desire Blue - aquatic with fruitiness
    Canoe by Dana - smells like suntan lotion
    Arpege pour Homme - smells like a sweeter, lighter cousin of Lolita Lempicka
    Ulrich Lang Anvers 2 - very light, slightly spicy and had a short metallic timbre to it. Paul Smith Extreme if it was made by Creed?
    L'Homme YSL - tested in the store and I loved this so much I got my brother a gift set which he liked. I remember it being very sweet yet masculine and having a very heavy cap

Default Re: Tonka bean

A few that come to mind are:
    Caron 3e Homme
    Guerlain Heritage
    and I think Chanel PM Concentree also may have it.
    It's a wonderfully warm and sweet note. I enjoy it too.
    I think YSL L'Homme has vetiver in the base and not tonka.
    RM

The scent of pure tonka is sweet, round, and warm, and smells similar to vanilla.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Armani Code and Gris Clair have tonka also. It is similar to vanilla, and I would consider it a gourmand note.

It doesn't bother me in Equipage but I can't stand it in most other fragrances.

Here is the description and picture

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonka_bean

jacomo rouge has a prominent note of tonka if im not mistaken...look like from the above description...

Tonka lends a "creamy" sensation to the mix, and as stated above, is similar-ish to vanilla.

For what its worth...I own an essential oil (probably synthetic though) entitled 'tonka bean'.

I find the smell to bear some similarity to vanilla in the sense that it is sweet; however tonka appears to be less heady, less potent, more nutty and a little spicier than vanilla (as I detect some mild cinnamon undertones). Overall I would imagine tonka to be ingredient that sits comfortably in the background of a mix.
    Favete Linguis

Creed Bois de Santal and Santal Imperial both contain tonka. Tonka smells kinda almondy.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Definitely a warm, creamy, sweet scent and does smell a lot like almonds. Also it seems that tonka bean gets paired with sandalwood a lot.

Tonka is like cream, vanilla, a pinch of incense and a sprinkling of almonds, all as one scent As sandalwood can be quite harsh, and needs to be muted, it can be muted with Tonka without turning overtly sweet, as it would with vanilla

I think these were good descriptions and would only add:
    -the central ingredient in tonka beans is coumarin, which is used in countless perfumes as a synthetic.
    -a tonka-bean parfait or crème brulée is really worth trying. Delicious.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Basenotes Institution

Next time you're walking by a Hermes boutique, go inside and ask to smell the Hermessence: Vetiver Tonka. This scent has the most prominent tonka accord I've ever encountered.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Joop! Homme ( 1989 ) just SCREAMS tonka bean. I´m surprised nobody has mentioned it. The whole fragrance is based around tonka bean.
    In germany you can order / purchase tonka beans as seeds fairly easily, ( through a phamasist / chemist ) and they are not expensive. They smell quite intensive and are a bit bigger in size than kidney beans. This will give you the truest impression.
    I would descibe tonka bean as a fusion of almond and vanilla.

As stated...Tonka Bean gives the sweet smell of Vanilla. Armani Code Pour Homme and Polo Double Black have Tonka Bean as one of their notes. It is more obvious in Code Pour Homme. Double Black has a spicy-ness that Code does not have. This is due to the nutmeg.....I like both, but Code is my Favorite by far.
    Gary

brit has a fair whack of tonka also... one of my favorite notes!
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Joop! Homme ( 1989 ) just SCREAMS tonka bean. I´m surprised nobody has mentioned it. The whole fragrance is based around tonka bean.
    In germany you can order / purchase tonka beans as seeds fairly easily, ( through a phamasist / chemist ) and they are not expensive. They smell quite intensive and are a bit bigger in size than kidney beans. This will give you the truest impression.
    Everything he said.
    If you want to smell the actual tonka beans, you can probably find them in any herbalist shop. May even have them at Whole Foods or other such grocer.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 23rd February 2008 at 04:50 AM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    The whole fragrance is based around tonka bean.
    Long time no hear, David, and welcome back !
    Thanks for the advice. We'll purchase tonka beans next! My apothecary has this kind of stuff, I am sure. They also had birch tar, except the owner didn't want to sell it to me "because it stinks too much"(love that owner, and I would agree that refined birch oil would be much easier to the nose!) .
    Last edited by narcus; 23rd February 2008 at 09:12 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.