Code of Conduct

Default 19 year old male - what fragrances do you recommend

Hi

What fragrances do you recommend to a 19 year old male?
    I have used some Boss bottled so far, and I think its okay but i want to try some others.
    Im considering buying Armani code.

I dont like fragrances like "Fahrenheit" or "Polo black" which i think is too masculine macho and smells "old men". And I dont like lacoste´s citrus blush so much either.

So what youthful fragrances do you recommend to me?

Default Re: 19 year old male - what fragrances do you recommend

Have you tried

ACQUA DI GIO?

Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Swiss Army
    Tommy
    Chrome

What scents do you like? eg Coffee, Orange, Lemon, Pine etc. Find a cologne that smells good to you and sorta says something about you. I think fragrances can be a nice non verbal greeting or a calling card of sorts. Guess thats where a signature scent evolves.
    I have a friend who once said he would wear a scent if girls liked it. I asked him what about yourself? Please yourself first. The rest will come through in self confidence.

I will recommend

Sander Men
    Polo Blue
    CK Truth
    TM Cologne
    John Varvatos original because you like Boss 6/Code
    Last edited by Titan; 22nd February 2008 at 03:53 PM.

Blog Entries

Try all the Burberrys (Brit, Touch, London, Weekend) and Bulgaris (Aqua, Blv Notte, Black). Also take a shot at Kenzo Pour Homme (marine sea) and L'Eau Par Kenzo (fresh water sweet) if you want some aquatic and fresh. Kenneth Cole's Reaction and Black are great too. I hear good things about Versace Eau Fraiche, but it's more towards the sharp citrus side. Versace The Dreamer is a nice warm(er) sweet vanilla scent without having it slap you in the face. However, if you want more punch out of something similar to that, Jean Paul Gaultier's Le Male is the answer. If Fahrenheit's sorta too dark and thick for you, maybe give Fahrenheit 32 a shot? I personally can't wear heavy stuff myself and I liked that one a lot. It wears very fresh and has a nice clean amber sweetness to it. I like Dolce & Gabanna Pour Homme. It's very woodsy and citrus and mellows out very smoothly. If that's a bit much, D&G Light Blue's a good alternative. My friend wears that one to work because he works with people who have allergies and sensitive noses.

Lacoste Style in Play is nice for casual use too, it sorta has that fresh sweet party vibe to it. Ralph Lauren's Romance is good, but if you want something a bit fresher and aquatic along those lines, Romance Silver is good. Diesel Fuel For Life is bold and sweet and a lot of people like that one, it's got some punch to it. Issey Miyake's L'Eau D'Issey is a nice aquatic/citrus scent that's very popular with people everywhere (which can be a drawback, depending on how much you wanna stand out). There's been a bit of buzz recently from forum members about Hugo XY too. It's a nice modern scent when I tested it on a piece of paper. I'd probably get a sample of that myself. If you want something classier for times when you go out for a nice dinner, John Varvatos is great. It's a nice bridge between smelling young and showing some classy maturity. His clothing line's pretty impressive in the first place, so the cologne is as well.

Even though I haven't smelled as much as the more experienced members here, I still have a pretty decent list of stuff to try, is there anything in particular you're aiming for? I think you'll be fairly busy for a while with the list so far. Haha. Good luck man. Feel free to post your findings when you try 'em out.
    Last edited by Hollandaze; 22nd February 2008 at 04:02 PM.

Stereotomy, you devil!
    Fahreheit too macho?!? Did I miss something?
    Please boy, try to address the gurus of the smellies here giving them more indications about what you like and dislike, what's the purpose of wearing scents for you, which kind of look style they have to match etc... Otherwise to generic questions you will just get back generic answers.

Versace Man Eau Fraiche
    Diesel Fuel For Life

Quote Originally Posted by frank06 View Post
    Versace Man Eau Fraiche
    Diesel Fuel For Life
    In my humble opinion, for a 19 year old these two would garner countless compliments from the opposite sex and you will generally smell 'good'.

I have a nineteen year old nephew, and young ladies find Dolce & Gabbana's Masculine quite beguiling on him.

Also, S.T. Dupont's L'eau is a nice, fresh youthful scent that is a welcome change from Acqua di Gio.

If it's within your budget, Bulgari Aqua Marine is an even more modern update of the aquatics so popular with younger people. But, it's marine seaweed note makes it a bit more unique than the "Gio" clones. It is a very acceptable fragrance.

Enjoy your quest...

-David

Quote Originally Posted by frank06 View Post
    Versace Man Eau Fraiche
    Diesel Fuel For Life
    i'll second both of those - nice work frank!
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

Cool Re: 19 year old male - what fragrances do you recommend

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent View Post
    Stereotomy, you devil!
    Fahreheit too macho?!? Did I miss something?
    Please boy, try to address the gurus of the smellies here giving them more indications about what you like and dislike, what's the purpose of wearing scents for you, which kind of look style they have to match etc... Otherwise to generic questions you will just get back generic answers.
    But is it as masculine macho as Versace Dreamer?
    Or Le Male?

Get the Armani Code, if you've smelled it on your skin and liked it--it's a start.

Consider Swiss Army, as recommended. Also Ferrari Black and John Varvatos. The first two are inexpensive but I don't know if you can find a store that will let you test it. JV is carried by many dept stores throughout the world.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

versace eau fraiche (personal fav)
    burberry touch
    acqua di gio
    gucci envy
    very sexy VS
    romance silver
    curve
    or le male if you dont mind the gay bottle lmao
    Last edited by xclusive; 23rd February 2008 at 03:24 AM.

Blog Entries

I'm 20 and a big fan of Code, and not so big a fan of Fahrenheit, so we see eye to eye at least a little bit! If you want something in the same vein, Unforgivable, Romance Silver, and The Dreamer spring to mind quickly, and possibly Fuel for Life as was also mentioned. I've also been using Happy for Men and just picked up Euphoria as something for lighter, more casual scenarios. Code and Romance Silver are very elegant smelling, don't be afraid to take a list of some of the recommendations by the users here and go to a local retail store where you can try them out.

For what it's worth, I personally don't see the reason for all the hype about Acqua di Gio, I tried to like it but it didn't break any new ground to me and came off as weak overall. It also didn't mesh well with my chemistry.

Let us know what you decide on and any experiences you have!

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    Have you tried

ACQUA DI GIO?

Yes, and I think that scent is pretty boring. Just smells jasmin, citrus. Dont like it.
    --------------------------------------
    Thanks for all your answers guys!
    Got some new fragrances to check out now.
    Tommy sounds intresting, with notes of applepie, hehe.

Some other Fragrances that I dont like:

Lacoste Style in play - Smells like rutten apples and citrus
    JPG le male - Smells like toothpaste at first, in the middle notes it get a kinda dirty smell. The basenotes though, I like very much, warm, sweet vanillic.
    Last edited by swe_tiger; 23rd February 2008 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

As said before, Diesel Fuel for life seems to be perfect for you. It's lavender(y) and a bit sweet.
    You should also try Hugo Energise, Hugo and Davidoff Echo (if you like metallic smell) and Tommy 10 (if you like fresh cloths smell).

I used to wear Very Sexy from Victorias Secret. It's a great scent for a young guy, and you will get lots of compliments. I've been tempted to get it again.

And check out L'eau d'Issey.