Code of Conduct
    Next to the bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve

Default Ever received a bad tester?

A short while ago, I received a bad tester from Scented Monkey (horrible customer service, will NEVER do business with them again). The bottle had a bit of dust on it, and the juice was musty and stale. Has anyone else had a similar experience ordering testers? And just why are testers sold? Are they old leftovers from stores that decided to get rid of them? Should I avoid testers in the future? Should I just give up wearing scents completely and rely on my natural, sweaty musk?

Okay, ignore that last question. But I would be interested in learning how come to be sold and whether anyone else has had a bad experience (which, based on a thread search, it seems like everyone has had only positive tester buys).

Default Re: Ever received a bad tester?

I havent bought many testers...actually I have only 2 tester bottles, that too bought just yesterday.. got brand new bottles. I hope you can return your bottle for a refund since you've received a bad piece.

Also, I dont think of testers as old leftovers.. unless the store is in a area where nobody buys perfume.. which would be quite rare. Many major online retailers source their testers either directly from the perfume manufacturers or from some big distributor and they generally arrive fresh and stay fresh throughout their testing lifetime.. your bottle might just be a victim of bad storage / neglect.. in any case, return it

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I e-mailed to ask about the shipping fee to Thailand and their answer was $200-300. I almost burst in tears. In my life, I've never expected such an answer. Another seller, from NYC, charges only $15.

Sorry, I forgot to answer your question. I have bought several testers and all came perfect, not old, no dust. But...when strawberrynet used the agent in the U.S. (for several months last year), some boxed scents I got were dusty, such as Givenchy Greenergy and Paris Hilton HEIR. They weren't sealed but boxes were in good condition.
    Last edited by KiatBkk; 22nd February 2008 at 03:49 PM.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Yes. Bought my mother a bottle of Prada for Women as a Christmas gift from Scentiments and we both agreed it was bad. It was off smelling. It smelled nothing like the sample she received at Sephora. So back it went. No hassles. And I bought her replacement from the local Sephora.
    When I found testers online I purchased a few for myself from the retailers we are all familiar with but no longer buy anything other than retail boxes. I have had less than satisfactory experience and having the cap and box is nice for travel and storage and if I plan to resell or swap I believe it has more value.

November 2007 I received a bad Azzaro Visit tester from a San Francisco seller on eBay. It was pure alcohol with the last remnants of nutmeg. They sent me a refund.

Next to the bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve

The refund was taken care of - sort of. Long story, no point, won't bore you with it. Will probably go to Neiman's and pay full price to insure I get good stuff.

Does anyone know where testers come from and why stores would get rid of them?