Code of Conduct

Default Fragrance before lotion

I've just heard an interesting comment from a representative from Urban Retreat. He says we should apply a lotion after spraying a fragrance, and not the other way around. The reason is the lotion will then seal in the fragrance. Has anyone tried this?

I have also heard that we shouldn't rub the skin where we've spray a fragrance because it would "crush" the fragrance. Wouldn't applying a lotion afterwards do this?

Default Re: Fragrance before lotion

I would never think of layering fragrance first, then lotion...it's so out-of-order. I don't think I can bring myself to try this! Odd.

Quote Originally Posted by chengfun View Post
    I've just heard an interesting comment from a representative from Urban Retreat. He says we should apply a lotion after spraying a fragrance, and not the other way around. The reason is the lotion will then seal in the fragrance. Has anyone tried this?
    There are threads addressing this in the BN forums but I'm too lazy to look them up. In my experience, lotion 'holds' the fragrance on your skin longer but it also mutes its projection somewhat - meaning sillage diminishes.

Quote Originally Posted by chengfun View Post
    I have also heard that we shouldn't rub the skin where we've spray a fragrance because it would "crush" the fragrance.
    Myth. However, rubbing it can heat it and may burn off the top notes a little quicker.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Divatologist uses this method. Right Diva? I know I read something to that effect in one of the "how to apply" threads not that long ago. I actually have tried using this method, but I can't decide if it works any better than the lotion first method I typically employ. Then again, I love heavier scents so, I am used to always smelling my fragrances. But like I said, I think this works for Diva and I'm sure she smells fabulous all day long!

R
    "Yo soy un hombre sincero de donde crece la palma, y antes de morirme, quiero echar mis versos del alma."

JosÚ MartÝ

I think the best method is to buy an unscented lotion in a spritzer bottle and spray it onto your skin AFTER applying cologne. Do not rub fragrance on your skin and do not apply lotion before fragrance as both will alter the smell dramatically.

Quote Originally Posted by richyac View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, I believe Divatologist uses this method. Right Diva? I know I read something to that effect in one of the "how to apply" threads not that long ago. I actually have tried using this method, but I can't decide if it works any better than the lotion first method I typically employ. Then again, I love heavier scents so, I am used to always smelling my fragrances. But like I said, I think this works for Diva and I'm sure she smells fabulous all day long!

R

Yes this is my method of applying fragrance and it works very well for me. Please with all the mess about not rubbing in the perfume and all that other foolishness. Honey it's a liquid in a bottle OK. When you spray airfreshener in the air, do you stand there and make sure the particles don't separate so that you can enjoy the full fragrance just in that spot you just sprayed. UH NO!!!!! You spray it and it spreads all around the room and it still smells like fresh clean linen or whatever the scent may be. Well, when I apply my perfume I put it on directly out of the shower while my skin is still damp. I spray my chest, the twins...*giggle*, my stomach, my arms, and my neck. Then I spread the perfume all over my upper body and then apply my lotion.

Let me break it down for ya.
    We lose a layer of skin each and every single day. We lose this whether we wear lotion or anything else. The body is programmed to get rid of what it doesn't want anymore. It is also programmed to protect itself. I say this because it's the reason why hygiene is so important. Now, everyone has resident and transient microbes on their body. The resident microbes are what make up your body chemistry because they will always be there no matter how much you scrub and wash and soak. Honey, they ain't goin nowhere. SKIN CAN NOT BE STERILIZED!!!!! This is what gives a person there so-called natural scent. Everyone has one. Now your transient microbes are pesky little buggers. These are the things we pick up throughout the day. They can be washed away. They can also alter your natural and applied scent. Now, it's OK to shower and soak in the tub and exfoliate and wash with vigor. You will not wash away precious oils. You see, your oils will always be there because that's one of the body's defenses to protect itself. However, some of us were born with oily skin and some of my have dry skin and some of are in between. Don't fret Boo Boo. That's why they have lotion.

With that being said, let's get down to why this method works. Now, after scrubbing myself to death in the tub or shower I apply my fragrance while my skin is still damp and spread it all around. This spreads my frag around allowing each note to do its thang. Now, I've rubbed this perfume into my skin. OK. Now, I will apply my lotion. I use about 3 to 4 different kinds that I mix together including the lotion to my SOTD. So, what I have done is I have layered my fragrance and seasoned my skin with fine botanicals and perfume. Now, the magic happens. As I stated earlier the body secretes it's natural oils (your natural essence, your body chemistry). What do I have mixed in with my natural oils? Yes, I have my fragrance mixed in. Very good boys and girls! Guess what happens now? My body's own defense mechanism (release oils to help protect the skin) releases the frag back to the surface of my skin throughout the day. Yes, this happens even with folks who have dry skin.

What I have done is washed my skin very well to help remove the layer of dead skin and the oils that my body has secreted. By removing all that mess it allows my frag to be absorbed without any barriers of dead skin and old body oil to break through. Hygiene plays an important part in wearing a fragrance. The cleaner you are the better chance you have of getting sillage, longevity, and the enjoyment of your frag throughout the day.

My perfume still smells like it's suppose to if not better when it hits that beautiful caramel brown skin of mine. I get compliments on the regular OK. So, yes this method works very well for "ME". All I can tell you to do is try out different methods of applying your perfume and see which one works out the best for you. It's OK to touch your perfume once it's out of the bottle. I promise you you won't self destruct and neither will your perfume. If anything, you will spread it out and allow each note to blossom on its own, not fighting to break out of the one spot you just sprayed it in. I wonder if they sit and really give this some thought sometimes.....jeez.
    Last edited by Divatologist; 23rd February 2008 at 06:16 AM.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Thanks for all your suggestions, and wow Diva, I'm very impressed with your fragrance ritual.

BTW, I heard the not-rubbing tip from Tova Borgnine.