Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - new manufacturer

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    I have been on that site, it doesn't mention their fragrance line at all.

I agree, the company fascinates me as well.
    I get the feeling that Caraceni may be like 'Ray's Pizza' in NYC. There are anywhere from 50 to 100 and all claim to be the original Rays.

What's really interesting is that Pliny wrote of Plutarch patronizing the Caraceni's. (See the wikipedia entry above and follow the Caraceni tribe link)
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 7th November 2008 at 06:24 PM.

I'll be ordering a bottle right after work...

Basenotes Plus

this started around the same time as this thread:

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=207849

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    Just what trumpet_guy said. My bottle is the one on the left from luckyscent.

My bottle is from a Basenoter who bought it from LuckyScent. It is the one on the left also.
    These things cannot be long hidden: the Sun, the Moon, the Truth--Buddha
    Currently wearing: Cumming by Alan Cumming

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    Done!

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    I get the feeling that Caraceni may be like 'Ray's Pizza' in NYC. There are anywhere from 50 to 100 and all claim to be the original Rays.
    I believe the original Ray's is on 12th St and Avenue Of Americas.
    Last edited by PJX007; 7th November 2008 at 10:50 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by PJX007 View Post
    I believe the original Ray's is on 12th St and Avenue Of Americas.
    I like Domenico Caraceni, to stay on topic I'll mention that first.

I forget which street, but I've been told by reliable sources that it's further downtown in Little Italy.
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 8th November 2008 at 07:26 AM.

The latest on this is that Franco of Luckyscent thinks this one is dead. He has tried to keep the lines open with them, but apparently there is no production or shipments to be made, at this point.
    Currently wearing: Benedictus by Excelsis

This is very bad news. It's a beauty. Odd how quickly things are going on and off the market at this moment. Or maybe 'twas ever thus?

I received this email earlier today:

Dear xxxx xxxxxxxx (aka TwoRoads),
    indeed, the production of the Caraceni line has ceased because the license contract has been canceled.
    But we are still aible to deliver for several months, you can find and order the fragrances here:
    www.firstinfragrance.com and on the page click on Aus Liebe zum Duft - Online Beautystore der Fa. Wuchsa

Best regards, Alexandra Stricker

Classic Parfums
    Westendstrasse 73
    60325 Frankfurt / Germany
    +49 1717591049
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Letter writing campaign? Beg for the formula? What can WE do?!

What an olfactory tragedy.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Someone should really start a company that buys up the formulas and licenses to produce out-of-production scents.

It's obviously not the same kind of market, but (at the risk of revealing what a total geek I am) in the world of boardgames there are companies that do just this.

Quote Originally Posted by PhinClio View Post
    Someone should really start a company that buys up the formulas and licenses to produce out-of-production scents.

It's obviously not the same kind of market, but (at the risk of revealing what a total geek I am) in the world of boardgames there are companies that do just this.
    Anglia Perfumery does precisely that, with a focus on traditional English scents.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

just to shed a little light (but willing to take the heat...), I tried Rose d'Homme by Parfums Rosine all day yesterday and, well, it sorta kinda reminded me of Domenico Caraceni. It's a bit more powdery and lighter overall... but there is a certain kinship.

Can someone with any authority bring to the DC franchise ownership a formal, basenotes-inspired protest that this is NOT one of the formulas to end production? For the love of all things, this is like silently watching sportsmen hunt the last dodos. I for one hope not to cling nostalgically to an empty bottle, occasionally removing the cap to take a measured draught and to be reminded of what once was.

Well my bottle arrived today... For some reason I had it in my head that it would take 4-6 weeks for it to get to me, but it only took a week... It actually takes less time to arrive than my orders from Beauty Encounter... So overall, it was a great experience ordering from http://www.ausliebezumduft.de . I recommend it highly...

For anyone who is interested, my bottle looks identical to the Luckyscent bottle....

That's great news! That means I should be getting mine soon! I agree with Oaksbluff that maybe we could band together to send a letter to somebody or other. If we made a big deal about it, do you think we could get Chandler Burr to write something about it? That would probably get somebody's attention.

Well my bottle arrived today... For some reason I had it in my head that it would take 4-6 weeks for it to get to me, but it only took a week... It actually takes less time to arrive than my orders from Beauty Encounter... So overall, it was a great experience ordering from http://www.ausliebezumduft.de . I recommend it highly...

For anyone who is interested, my bottle looks identical to the Luckyscent bottle....
    My bottle? you only bought one?
    WHY?
    I you should have bought half a dozen.
    My bottles are at the postal office w00t!
    Last edited by irish; 15th November 2008 at 12:09 AM.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Blog Entries

Great! One week is awesome! Its been three days, and my order is still in "pending" state.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    My bottle? you only bought one?
    WHY?
    I you should have bought half a dozen.
    My bottles are at the postal office w00t!

Probably because I have better ways to spend $840... I might grab a back up bottle after the holidays if they still have stock...

Probably because I have better ways to spend $840... I might grab a back up bottle after the holidays if they still have stock...
    I have food and HVAC...
    Sorry could not come up with a better way to spend that much money
    I got my bottles today (they are only three btw). They are also the LS type. They are not quite full though... that was odd.
    Last edited by irish; 15th November 2008 at 06:39 PM.

They are not quite full though... that was odd.
    Mine wasn't quite full either...

They are not quite full though... that was odd.
    Mine wasn't quite full either...
    Were they about 80% - 85% full?

If so, that may be the same problem I talked about in post #27 above. I have been speculating that production problems may have been one of the major factors in the demise of the House of Domenico Caraceni.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    Were they about 80% - 85% full?

If so, that may be the same problem I talked about in post #27 above. I have been speculating that production problems may have been one of the major factors in the demise of the House of Domenico Caraceni.
    My bottle was much more full than that... It just looked like it had been sprayed a few times...

It's back in stock at luckyscent!

You can actually see it on the picture up there. See how the liquid does not reach the top of the bottle? It is the first BNIB fragrance I have seen like that, as if it were 99% full. Odd.
    Last edited by irish; 25th November 2008 at 12:28 AM.

I have three bottles of 1913. The first I ordered from LS I sent back because a couple % had leaked out in transit, which also resulted in much of the film coating the bottle peeling away. While the juice is nonpareil, the packaging is really quite poor--not that the packaging matters much in the final analysis, but you really need to be able to rely on the bottle remaining sealed if you are a manufacturer/dealer.

If I knew anything about sourcing these kinds of things, I'd buy the license/formula in a heartbeat, even if it meant changing the name.

By the way, thegoodlife, I'd be interested in hearing your further thoughts on the Gianni Campagna line of fragrances you've tried.
    Last edited by Circa1905; 25th November 2008 at 02:32 AM.

I wish I'd tried more. I cannot add much to my review of Scilla e Carridi, except that I have not tired of it. Still magnifiscent. The other one I know is Vento Canale, which I would describe as a superior version of Bogart pour homme - i.e. a sweet (cherry) pipe tobacco scent which manages to exude quality and doesn't induce headaches. Sweet and refined is hard to do and it does it very well. I really should try the others. There are hidden treasures there, in all likelihood.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa1905 View Post
    I have three bottles of 1913. The first I ordered from LS I sent back because a couple % had leaked out in transit, which also resulted in much of the film coating the bottle peeling away. While the juice is nonpareil, the packaging is really quite poor--not that the packaging matters much in the final analysis, but you really need to be able to rely on the bottle remaining sealed if you are a manufacturer/dealer.

If I knew anything about sourcing these kinds of things, I'd buy the license/formula in a heartbeat, even if it meant changing the name.

By the way, thegoodlife, I'd be interested in hearing your further thoughts on the Gianni Campagna line of fragrances you've tried.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I found another site that sells it...I think a bit cheaper?

Site

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    I found another site that sells it...I think a bit cheaper?

Site
    Good for non-EU buyers. To Germany you pay high shipping plus VAT, brings it to 93 Euros, vs. 72 at FiF. Brick& mortar price here is 80.
    My Wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by dmarino67 View Post
    It's back in stock at luckyscent!
    Damn man you beat me to it! I though I had breaking news there. But yes for anyone still freaking out, it is infact back in stock at Lucky Scent.