Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 61 to 82 of 82
  1. #61

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    brooklyn NYC
    Posts
    1,981
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - new manufacturer

    Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Damn man you beat me to it! I though I had breaking news there. But yes for anyone still freaking out, it is infact back in stock at Lucky Scent.
    so it's not out of production? or is it?

    i'm still so intrigued by this scent...even though i've never tried it.

  2. #62
    mtgprox05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,255

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - new manufacturer

    Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    so it's not out of production? or is it?

    i'm still so intrigued by this scent...even though i've never tried it.
    TBH everso, your guess is as good as mine. But since, we all know that something is going on with it, I would suggest that if you are that intrigued with it you should go ahead and sample it. I'm sure your already aware of this but if not, you can get a sample for 3 dollars and if you use the code "mua" you get free shipping, so its a good deal.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 1st December 2008 at 05:31 PM.

  3. #63

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - new manufacturer

    Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Damn man you beat me to it! I though I had breaking news there. But yes for anyone still freaking out, it is infact back in stock at Lucky Scent.
    Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    so it's not out of production? or is it?

    i'm still so intrigued by this scent...even though i've never tried it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    TBH everson, your guess is as good as mine. But since, we all know that something is going on with it, I would suggest that if you are that intrigued with it you should go ahead and sample it. I'm sure your already aware of this but if not, you can get a sample for 3 dollars and if you use the code "mua" you get free shipping, so its a good deal.
    It is definitively discontinued, please read post #40 above.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

  4. #64
    mtgprox05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,255

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - new manufacturer

    Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    It is definitively discontinued, please read post #40 above.
    My apologies, for not doing my homework first. To be honest I am not completely up on the topic in general, I just saw it at LS, and knowing that a lot of people were upset that they no longer would be carrying DC I figured I share some good news. Thanks for pointing that out to me TwoRoads, next time I'll make sure to read carefully before posting.

  5. #65

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    brooklyn NYC
    Posts
    1,981
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - new manufacturer

    Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    TBH everso, your guess is as good as mine. But since, we all know that something is going on with it, I would suggest that if you are that intrigued with it you should go ahead and sample it. I'm sure your already aware of this but if not, you can get a sample for 3 dollars and if you use the code "mua" you get free shipping, so its a good deal.
    thanks for the shipping code! i just ordered a sample of this...along with a few other scents. cheers!

  6. #66
    mtgprox05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,255

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - new manufacturer

    Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    thanks for the shipping code! i just ordered a sample of this...along with a few other scents. cheers!
    No problem at all everso! I think that code is good forever, or at least indefinitely. I have saved SO much using it, it really is unreal. As always I look forward to your opinions on your samples.

  7. #67

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - new manufacturer

    New bottle design and I think they knocked off 10 dollars of the selling price now.

    http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/item/...ceni_1913.html

  8. #68

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - new manufacturer

    Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    New bottle design and I think they knocked off 10 dollars of the selling price now.

    http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/item/...ceni_1913.html
    I am not sure what this means but at the very least this is an interesting development!
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 15th May 2009 at 12:41 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

  9. #69
    KMF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    3,330

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - new manufacturer

    Hopefully there isn't a reformulation with the new bottle design...

  10. #70

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - new manufacturer

    international economic crisis and all, DC is back in production baby!
    YEAH!
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

  11. #71

    narcus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Königl. Preussen
    Posts
    4,586

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - new manufacturer

    Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    New bottle design and I think they knocked off 10 dollars of the selling price now.

    http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/item/...ceni_1913.html
    That's good news! Thank you nsamadi !
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

  12. #72

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - new manufacturer

    Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    New bottle design and I think they knocked off 10 dollars of the selling price now.

    http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/item/...ceni_1913.html
    Can someone find out whether it is still made by Forester, Milano? Their site still displays the frragrance, but the history timeline marks 2007 as the end of their engagement.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

  13. #73

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - new manufacturer

    Is this still available anywhere to purchase?

  14. #74

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Stamford, CT
    Posts
    1,582

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - new manufacturer

    A very new post on a very old thread: DC is back on the Luckyscent website. They can't or won't give me any information about reformulation. Apparently this issue has been as well and often discussed on the boards as the quality of the fragrance itself. And it should be. If a purchaser expects one thing and gets another under the guise of something they had expected that's "bait and switch" which should be illegal, but in the fragrance business probably is not. The only way to find out from our friends in LA is to order the samples. Ah that's the rub… Buy to try. I have about a third of a bottle of DC left, but my insatiable curiosity may make me buy some samples. This is a crazy business. Has anybody tried the 2015 version of Caraceni?

    Post note: The interesting thing is that the 2015 version has the round (not the rectangular) bottle mentioned in earlier comments in this thread back to 2007. I wonder what that means?
    Last edited by Joe_Frances; 6th October 2015 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Amplification

  15. #75
    Oviatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    3,331

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - new manufacturer

    Loved it in the day--hope it still holds its own!
    Striving still to Truth unknown
    Currently wearing: Havana by Aramis

  16. #76

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Stamford, CT
    Posts
    1,582

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - new manufacturer

    Quote Originally Posted by Oviatt View Post
    Loved it in the day--hope it still holds its own!
    Oviatt old man, being the nut job that I am I just bought two vials of the "new", "old" or the "same" Domenico Caraceni and will advise what the folks at Fragrance Bar send me. Hope you are well. I have been off these boards more or less for a couple of years, bur have come back for a few posts, nice to see you on here still. I miss our old friend of happy memory Two Roads in this thread, but he lives on in his posts.

    All the best, and I will let you know what this new stuff smells like when I have a chance.

    Best to all.
    Last edited by Joe_Frances; 7th October 2015 at 12:50 AM.

  17. #77

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - new manufacturer

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Frances View Post
    Has anybody tried the 2015 version of Caraceni?
    I did and posted my comments in some discussions about Caraceni here and there:

    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/390...=1#post3523130

    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/401...=1#post3633409

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Frances View Post
    Post note: The interesting thing is that the 2015 version has the round (not the rectangular) bottle mentioned in earlier comments in this thread back to 2007. I wonder what that means?
    The bottle difference, I don't think it means anything. The manufacturer is small and quite local, I guess they just changed supplier.
    ______________________________

    My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

    Niche, vintage & discontinued stuff - Creed Royal English Leather in!> Sale thread & Swap thread

  18. #78
    Basenotes Plus
    schnozz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    NY / DC
    Posts
    941

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - new manufacturer

    I must dissent from Colin's recent bullish remarks about the reformulation. I've been doing the two-hand test for a few hours now and honestly there is no contest. The vintage, after a period of time, seems like it has about twice the stuffing and projection. The base of the vintage is far richer and, unlike what you might expect with a vintage/new comparison, the vintage has a sustained top-note layer of sort of clove-y menthol type that the new version completely lacks.

    To be fair, Colin never said the reformulation was identical and noted that he thought the new may be somehow easier to wear. To me, however, this comparison reveals just how amazing the vintage is, diminishing to zero my interest in the new one.

  19. #79

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - new manufacturer

    Quote Originally Posted by schnozz View Post
    I must dissent from Colin's recent bullish remarks about the reformulation. I've been doing the two-hand test for a few hours now and honestly there is no contest. The vintage, after a period of time, seems like it has about twice the stuffing and projection. The base of the vintage is far richer and, unlike what you might expect with a vintage/new comparison, the vintage has a sustained top-note layer of sort of clove-y menthol type that the new version completely lacks.

    To be fair, Colin never said the reformulation was identical and noted that he thought the new may be somehow easier to wear. To me, however, this comparison reveals just how amazing the vintage is, diminishing to zero my interest in the new one.
    Actually I agree with that to many extents, yes - and finally I was curious to read other people's takes about this! Just to reply - I just feel this new version may have some broader and "easier" appeal, like it happens sometimes with vintages versus current versions (I guess that's the best scenario with reformulations...). If you're used to vintages and you look for that thickness, longevity and depth, and also that sort of decadent/deep vibe 1913 had, then yes, there's probably quite no game (keeping in mind the obvious aging factor, especially if natural materials have been used). Me, for example, despite I agree with what you wrote, I honestly find the new one more agreeable to wear. The vintage one had a maybe more fascinating, yet sometimes a bit more cloyingly dark presence, while the new one feels cleaner - something you can wear more often and, say, in more contexts, with more ease. They tamed it down a bit, but for the good (or, well, I see some good in that). I also enjoy its fresher-sweeter feel. In the end it's quite about individual tastes and subjective pro's and con's - objectively though, and considered we're speaking about a masterpiece, I agree with you but nonetheless still think the current version is good for the price. I'm quite sure many fans of older Caraceni will be happy with this too. I mean, there's longtime fans of Antaeus being happy with that current rubbish, Caraceni deserves that well better, lol.

    (at first I read "Colin's bullshit remarks" - that would have been frank )
    ______________________________

    My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

    Niche, vintage & discontinued stuff - Creed Royal English Leather in!> Sale thread & Swap thread

  20. #80
    Sound Scents
    drseid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Northern VA/DC Area
    Posts
    8,512

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - new manufacturer

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Frances View Post
    A very new post on a very old thread: DC is back on the Luckyscent website. They can't or won't give me any information about reformulation. Apparently this issue has been as well and often discussed on the boards as the quality of the fragrance itself. And it should be. If a purchaser expects one thing and gets another under the guise of something they had expected that's "bait and switch" which should be illegal, but in the fragrance business probably is not. The only way to find out from our friends in LA is to order the samples. Ah that's the rub… Buy to try. I have about a third of a bottle of DC left, but my insatiable curiosity may make me buy some samples. This is a crazy business. Has anybody tried the 2015 version of Caraceni?

    Post note: The interesting thing is that the 2015 version has the round (not the rectangular) bottle mentioned in earlier comments in this thread back to 2007. I wonder what that means?
    I'll have to leave any comparisons to others as I have never smelled the vintage. I do have a sample of the current stuff though, and while I liked the open plenty, the dry-down just didn't really impress. For me, this one was good but not great. I won't be buying a bottle of the current version, surely.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

    6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

  21. #81

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - new manufacturer

    Good to see you Joe Frances! I also miss Two Roads, what a fantastic person he was.

    I'm hoping to get to smell the new version soon. I'm a huge fan of the vintage and one of its most remarkable aspects is Forester's renowned geranium oil. Schozz mentioned that the new version lacks that mentholated feel, I would venture to guess it's the geranium we are talking about. Forester's geranium is green, bitter and even minty. It's an essential part of this fragrance. If I recall correctly, Colin isn't huge fan of geranium, this could be one of the reasons why he is more content with the modern version than some other members.

  22. #82
    Moderator
    rum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,152

    Default Re: Domenico Caraceni - new manufacturer

    I wonder, should we be looking to include the 2015 version in the Basenotes Directory?

    Not sure what our policy is here... I'll check with Grant.
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000