Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default New Hermes Un Jardin apres la Mousson - article from WWD

Copied from WWD Online article (link here: http://www.wwd.com/search/article/122805)

Hermes Garden Grows With Third Jardins Fragrance
    By Ellen Groves

PARIS — India in monsoon season inspired Hermès Parfums' latest eau.

The scent, called Un Jardin après la Mousson, or a Garden After the Monsoon, in English, will bow in May as part of the French luxury brand's yearlong tribute to India.

For the third fragrance in the Jardins series, Jean-Claude Ellena, Hermès' in-house perfumer, traveled to Kerala, in southwestern India, where he was inspired by nature's revival following the region's annual rainy season. The global introduction of the unisex scent, which features vegetal, floral and spicy notes, will coincide with the beginning of the monsoon period in Kerala.

With the latest addition, Hermès executives expect the Jardins series, which also includes Un Jardin en Mediterannée and Un Jardin sur le Nil, to generate a quarter of its fragrance sales in 2008. Last year, Hermès' fragrance sales grew 20 percent year-on-year to 118.9 million euros, or $163 million at average exchange. Industry sources estimate Un Jardin après la Mousson will generate 16 million euros, or $24 million at current exchange, at wholesale in its first year.

"The Jardins series' particularity is that it's a meeting between Hermès' yearly theme, its perfumer and a place," explained Catherine Fulconis, Hermès Parfums managing director.

For Un Jardin après la Mousson, Ellena wanted to capture an unexpected aspect of India, so he visited Kerala several weeks after the long-awaited monsoon rains ended when nature had started to spring back to life. Though Kerala is a region renowned for its spices, Ellena eschewed hot spicy notes in favor of cooler vegetable notes such as cardamom, coriander, pepper, ginger and ginger flower. He also included a vetiver accord of his own creation.

"In India, your senses are arrested everywhere, you have a desire for calm," explained Fulconis. "This was the idea of après la Mousson. While India abounds in colors and noise, with this fragrance, one has a moment of rest."

The fragrance's heavy glass bottle resembles those of the other scents in the Jardins collection. Its graduated green and blue color recalls the clouds of a monsoon and the vivid green of nature reborn. A frieze on its outer carton, designed by artist Karen Petrossian, who has also created Hermès scarves, is a playful take on nature, featuring elephants and monkeys taking refuge under umbrellas.

The eau de toilette will be available as 100- and 50-ml. sprays, priced at 83 euros, or $122 at current exchange, and 60 euros, or $88, respectively. The fragrance's ancillary line includes a body lotion and a bath and shower gel, priced at 39 euros, or $57, and 33 euros, or $49, respectively, for 200 ml., as well as a body mist for 42 euros, or $62, and a dry oil for 40 euros, or $59, both 100 ml.

A gift set containing a 100-ml. fragrance, a scented home decoration and a book by journalist Sarina Lewis, published in eight languages, including Malayalam, the language of Kerala, will be sold in Hermès boutiques and select department stores for 115 euros, or $169.

Single-page advertising, created by the Publicis agency, shows an elephant's trunk shielding the fragrance from monsoon raindrops with a leaf.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Default Re: New Hermes Un Jardin apres la Mousson - article from WWD

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    For Un Jardin après la Mousson, Ellena wanted to capture an unexpected aspect of India, so he visited Kerala several weeks after the long-awaited monsoon rains ended when nature had started to spring back to life. Though Kerala is a region renowned for its spices, Ellena eschewed hot spicy notes in favor of cooler vegetable notes such as cardamom, coriander, pepper, ginger and ginger flower. He also included a vetiver accord of his own creation.
    Sounds very interesting. I look forward to trying it.

Thanks for posting Mike.
    Can't say I'm excited though on the basis of the other ones or Elenas recent creations.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Thanks for reporting! I do want to test it but I agree that my excitment is reserved. I think sur le nil is fresh but honestly it is too fem for my nose to handle. I do love it on women though. I have had a soft spot for the meditereanee and I go back and for with my torrent love affair with it. Most recnetly I was thinking of ordering some more. Everytime I do though, it gets cloying on me and sooner or later, I get rid of it.

Kerala? It has to have a banana note.

Come on Ellena, wave those two scent strips of vanilla and peach and conjure the smell of banana before our unbelieving eyes!
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Kerala? It has to have a banana note.

Come on Ellena, wave those two scent strips of vanilla and peach and conjure the smell of banana before our unbelieving eyes!

The scent of "impression of banana".
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post

The scent of "impression of banana".
    Pardon my french for I thought it was just another excuse for Ellena to use his favorite notes like cardamom, coriander, pepper, ginger in yet another creation ( I am coming off a heavy Ellena testing session burning my nose off on Declaration, Angelique sous, and p. samarcande)
    Last edited by zztopp; 22nd February 2008 at 07:00 PM.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Thanks for posting Mike.
    Can't say I'm excited though on the basis of the other ones or Elenas recent creations.
    My thoughts as well...

Something to look forward to! I fell for BOTH of the earlier "Jardin"s in transit at London Heathrow and boarded the next plane a proud owner of two new Hermes fragrances (talk about buying impulsively as I only had minutes to make a flight connection) - and before I knew Basenotes existed! I didn't realize I was being such a help to Hermes sales at the time.
    Thanks for yet another great post!

Basenotes Institution

You're welcome all.

Un Jardin sur le Nil was the fragrance (along with Ambre Sultan) that brought me into Basenotes. It will always evoke wonderful memories for me.

Most likely I will be buying the new Jardin blind. I'm that excited!
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Dependent

I enjoy the two Jardins quite a bit. My nose is not as sophisticated as Basenoters that precede me. I just know what I smell and I know what I like. I'll be looking towards the decants and will pick one up when they're available.

This scent and Comme des Garcon's 888 are 2 that I can't wait to sample.
    Gary

i find the whole series beautiful so far, although too sheer to wear myself. i'd almost buy them just to sniff in the privacy of my home...
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

I thought Nil was a tad too feminine for me at first as well, but I grew to love it and get compliments when I wear it so who cares? I also like Mediteranee, but what I like in it is what's similar to Nil and what I don't like is the fig note which is not a favorite. I am very eager to try Mousson!
    My current top 10: Richard James; Clive Christian No. 1 for Men; L'Artisan Voleur de Roses; Creed Aventus, Erolfa, Santal Imperial, Virgin Island Water, and Windsor; Serge Lutens Chergui and Gris Clair

"It is never to late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

i bought un jardin sur de nil blind and although i do find it overall pleasant....i was dissapointed......maybe its a bad bottle, maybe its just me but all i pick up is linear grapefruit note which is pleasant but not inspiring in any way, shape or form......i thought Mediterranee was a bit better, because i sensed sweeter notes that i felt were missing from sur De nil....

i will be looking forward to the new fragrance, but i will not make that mistake again and purchase a full bottle blindly.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

i love fragrances the "resemble" wet vegetation (excluding demter's...)
    if this has similarities to the character of Angeliques sous la pluie.......i'm probably going to love it since im in a "sweet vegetal" phase

estimated release in US?

Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    This scent and Comme des Garcon's 888 are 2 that I can't wait to sample.
    Gary
    ditto
    wishlist:
    Chanel - Cuire de Ruissie and Eau de Cologne
    Penhaligons - Quercus, Castille, and Raquets
    Dior -Eau Noire, Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Sweet Sun
    Frédéric Malle - Angelique sous la pluie and Eau d'Hiver
    L'Artisan - l'eau de l'artisan and bois farine
    Hermès - Elixir des Merveilles, Jardin sur Nil, and Hermessence Confret.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelmilk View Post
    estimated release in US?
    ...the scent, called Un Jardin après la Mousson, or a Garden After the Monsoon, in English, will bow in May as part of the French luxury brand's yearlong tribute to India...

-- Eckhart Tolle

Supposed to be released in May according to Robin (nowsmellthis)

edit: mike outdraws me again
    Last edited by zatarain; 26th February 2008 at 11:11 PM. Reason: too slow
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

...the scent, called Un Jardin après la Mousson, or a Garden After the Monsoon, in English, will bow in May as part of the French luxury brand's yearlong tribute to India...
    oh...ma bad

perfect! by then, i have money for my hermès wallet!
    Last edited by squirrelmilk; 27th February 2008 at 05:39 AM.
    wishlist:
    Chanel - Cuire de Ruissie and Eau de Cologne
    Penhaligons - Quercus, Castille, and Raquets
    Dior -Eau Noire, Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Sweet Sun
    Frédéric Malle - Angelique sous la pluie and Eau d'Hiver
    L'Artisan - l'eau de l'artisan and bois farine
    Hermès - Elixir des Merveilles, Jardin sur Nil, and Hermessence Confret.

Thanks Mike. Elena is hit or miss for me, not when it comes to great scents but whether they are feminine or masculine. I own both the Jardins but Nil is too feminine for my liking.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

After finishing the Ellena-Hermes part of Perfect Scent I wondered if Hermes had given up on the Indian garden altogether. But here it comes. Thanks, Mike! Catherine Fulconis, Hermès (new?) Parfums managing director seems to be the real news, though. I had almost developed an affection for Mme Gautier . She and Ellena seemed to get along particularly well.

Mine is a rather unemotional respect for Ellena's concepts. I do not need Terre d'H on myself. I love him for Globe and Eau de Campagne, but these were starting points he seems to have moved away from. All of his more recent perfumes are best suited for modern women with limited needs or time for romantic hours. They all have class, though!
    Last edited by narcus; 27th February 2008 at 07:00 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

You're welcome all.

Un Jardin sur le Nil was the fragrance (along with Ambre Sultan) that brought me into Basenotes. It will always evoke wonderful memories for me.

Most likely I will be buying the new Jardin blind. I'm that excited!
    I am as well! I have a bottle of the Un Jardin en Méditerranée and will be sampling the new one as soon as I can!!

(I do note that it looks to be marketed as a woman's scent rather than unisex. I wonder what that means as far as juice?)
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

I think what a lot people don't realise about Sur Le Nil is that it needs to be under-sprayed to get the best out of it. It's really potent and has massive sillage and longevity. I really wish half the frags I bought had this amount of muscle. I can wear one spray of this divided between two palms and adorned accordingly and that is enough. Anymore and you are going to start over-powering small countries.

It is a wonderful scent though for a warm day. While the rest of the fragrance market is fetishistically going for their "zesty citrus opening", Sur Le Nil is just as refreshing but soooo different.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Bromo33333 View Post
    (I do note that it looks to be marketed as a woman's scent rather than unisex. I wonder what that means as far as juice?)
    Hermes has always marketed the Jardin's as unisex - I am surprised at your concern. What, to you, looks like Hermes is marketing the scent to women?

This is one that I can't wait to sample.
    Gary

Hermes has always marketed the Jardin's as unisex - I am surprised at your concern. What, to you, looks like Hermes is marketing the scent to women?
    Don't people agree here that fragrance classification should be secondary for your decision what to wear and what not? If that's true for the 'feminines' it must be valid for 'unisex' fragrances also. "Equally suited for men and women" is just another classification given by the house. At least two thirds of all fragrances offered by Malle, Lutens, and some others - without gender specification - have been designed with a female wearer on mind, I am sure. The Jardins just smell like a womans dream, and the bottles underline the impression. Where do you buy them in America - ladies counters or men's?
    Last edited by narcus; 25th April 2008 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    The Jardins just smell like a womans dream, and the bottles underline the impression. Where do you buy them in America - ladies counters or men's?
    Womens counters

Womens counters
    Yuppers.

But the concern was the unisex designation for the previous 2 in the database here and "female" for the new one.

This would not stop me, but I do enjoy the herbaceous quality of the perfumes that one could not pin down to any sex in particular even with a conservative approach to notes and scents.

I was just wondering if they kept up this in the new one, or had they decided differently?
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Thank you so much for the article...i can't wait to test it out.

Basenotes Institution

In my post above, I was expressing my surprise at what I thought was Bromo suggesting that Hermes the company itself was marketing the Jardins to women.

I never thought this was the case. Yes, American shops do this. Basenotes database does this. But Hermes, I thought, always marketed all of the Jardin's as unisex.

Is this correct?

well you can look at the hermes website. the jardin series are in the mixte category

Basenotes Institution

I just found out there here in the US, the new Jardin will be exclusive to Saks Fifth Avenue (and the Hermes boutiques) first, and therafter to other stores (Neimans, Bloomingdales, the usual suspects...)
    --------------------------------------
    I called Saks tonight and they have this in stock!

Oh look...and there goes my debit card - magically slipping out of my wallet for a blind buy.
    --------------------------------------
    I just found out the Saks here in Miami (Bal Harbour) has this in stock. I just might blind buy this tomorrow - that's how excited I am about it!
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 29th April 2008 at 04:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost