Code of Conduct

Default Suggestions for a new cologne suiting a 18 year old?

I am an 18 year old searching for a new cologne. I have sampled some, bought a few, but I am again in search of a new one. I am seeking a cologne that I can wear at any times of the day, even to school etc. Something that is not to sweet, headache educing. Does anyone have any suggestions of colognes I can sample that they think would suit my age and requirements? Something that me, as well as others will tend to enjoy?

*(money is not much of an option, I have my fair share, but please no Creeds, not that rich )
    **(Something that can be bought in a store, as I do not have a credit card for online purchases, but not overly common, and something a little more unique than the average Aqua Di Gio, Cool Water, Issey, etc)

Thanks for all the help basenoters

Default Re: Suggestions for a new cologne suiting a 18 year old?

Kouros!

hey smwyea! the best reccomendation i can think of is polo double black (not ordinary polo black!). i find it's great smelling, unobtrusive and while i can't detect it after about four or five hours others still can - and i tend to be complimented on it throughout the day. give it a test and see what you think, you might enjoy it!
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

Joop! Nightflight, if you can find it. I guarantee you no one else will be wearing it, and most people will not have ever even smelt it before. It also goes quite well in the heat of summer, and its never cloying.
    Id also recommend trying Bvlgari Aqua and Bvlgari pour Homme. Aqua is more aquatic, and pour Homme is a musk / citrus affair.

Carlos Santana, sweet but not cloying. Sexy, playful, and still casual.

Mesmerize for men by Avon (don't laugh!). Apples, spices, and vanilla. $15 a bottle.

YSL L'Homme - a creamier D&G PH without the tobacco. This might be getting fairly popular by now though.

Antidote - citrus to cinnamon/nutmeg/floral heart with creamy vanilla drydown. An oriental that is light enough for everyday wear, even in warmer weather. Costly, but worth it. I can pretty much guarantee nobody your age will be wearing it. Sample if you can.

Polo Double Black is a good suggestion. Along similar lines is Obsession Night, which is a pear/suede fragrance with a hint of musk.

Hugo XY - a really refreshing minty fragrance with a hint of watermelon (to my nose) that dries down to a clean cotton smell. Inoffensive and not terribly original, but nice.

i think ysl l'homme is a nice idea, too - i don't think too many 18 year olds would be wearing it, but at the same time it's not limited to an older demographic.

Blog Entries

Fahrenheit 32. Wears fresh and dries down to a mellow citrus sweetness. Le Male and Lacoste Pour Homme (in the silver cap) gives me headaches, this didn't. As for Polo Double Black, I like this suggestion, however, in America, a lot of the younger college folks and teenagers wear it too. At least based on the other forums I've read (one of which was a sneaker forum where practically half of the responses was "Polo Double Black"). Bottom line is, if you haven't smelled it on someone else, just get it if you like it.

Welcome to the board.
    I find Polo Double Black to be an excellent everyday scent. Try it out and see if you like it.
    Also check out CK Euphoria Men, I find it quite interesting and girls around our age group seem to like it very much.

I`ve suggested this one a few times already......Versace Man Eau Fraiche.

YSL L'Homme is a good suggestion.
    If you really want to distinguish yourself as classy, get Terre d'Hermes - eminently wearable, but stunningly unique at the same time. Versatile too.
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

I second Avon Mezmerise. But you know what I'll recommend.

Iceberg Twice!

If you want something more classy, try John Varvatos. This scent is sweet, dense (For me it's as dense as Paco Black XS, just not as powerful) and fruity with a vanilla base. Lasting power is average so spray it on your shirt to get extended sillage and longevity.
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

Smile Re: Suggestions for a new cologne suiting a 18 year old?

Quote Originally Posted by frank06 View Post
    I`ve suggested this one a few times already......Versace Man Eau Fraiche.
    This is a GREAT suggestion for a young man, and there seems to be few of them on Basenotes searching to expand their fragrance wardrobes.

From bossanova_boy's "Department of Redundancy Department":

1. Dolce & Gabbana's Masculine (My nineteen-year-old nephew's preferred fragrance.)

2. S.T. Dupont's L'eau

3. Bulgari Aqua Marine (Even more youthful than Bulgari's "regular" Aqua.)

Go right to the top tier...Havana.

i'll drop another vote in for Versace Man Eau Fraiche also - beautiful, under-represented scent