Code of Conduct

Default Coriolan and the confused opinions

Right now, stocks of discontinued Guerlain's Coriolan are very affordable, my question: It worth the price or is just a failed Guerlain?

Why Guerlain discontinued the frag ? (the causes of the poor sales) no caracter? indefinition?

Default Re: Coriolan and the confused opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Torvo View Post
    Right now, stocks of discontinued Guerlain's Coriolan are very affordable, my question: It worth the price or is just a failed Guerlain?

Why Guerlain discontinued the frag ? (the causes of the poor sales) no caracter? indefinition?
    It was too good to be successful in the mass market.

I agree with the esteemed foetidus. A very fine chypre. Check out the fragrance review directory for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by foetidus View Post
    It was too good to be successful in the mass market.
    I agree. I got mine for about five dollars when Perfumania had it. I don't think that it is the best composition from the House of Guerlain, but it is still pretty dam good. Its unique quality is that is features immortelle (everlasting flower) prominently, so that was probably a hard sell in the mass market of men's fragrances.

Guerlain has apparently re-issued Coriolan as L'Âme d'Un Héros (The Heart of a Hero):
    http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...os_2008_n.html

Here is the French osMoz page for L'Âme d'Un Héros:
    http://www.osmoz.com/encyclo/marques...NGUE&LANGUE=FR

Here is the Babel Fish Translation website, to translate the osMoz page from French to English:
    http://babelfish.altavista.com/

Last edited by Rockford; 23rd February 2008 at 03:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockford View Post
    Guerlain has apparently re-issued Coriolan as L'Âme d'Un Héros (The Heart of a Hero):

http://www.osmoz.com/encyclo/marques/parfums_fiche.asp?ID=4244&CATEGORIE=PARFUM%5FAUTRE LANGUE&LANGUE=FR

Here is the Babel Fish Translation website, to translate the osMoz page from French to English:
    http://babelfish.altavista.com/

Thanks for the links Rockford.

$205 for a bottle of the new version!

Here's what I found most interesting (from Scented Salamander):

"It is a re-take on a former fragrance by Guerlain, Coriolan; as can be expected it will be probably inspired significantly by it but modified somewhat too and made more upscale thanks to more luxurious ingredients..."

Wonder how noticeable the difference will be. Will it be worth the up-charge?
    Last edited by robyogi; 23rd February 2008 at 04:52 AM.

It is excellent fragrance. Get it while you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockford View Post

http://www.osmoz.com/encyclo/marques/parfums_fiche.asp?ID=4244&CATEGORIE=PARFUM%5FAUTRE LANGUE&LANGUE=FR
    Thanks for fabulous service to the community! As Osmoz now have both perfumes in their encyclopedia, I had a first look at the details: there are differences in the middle notes mainly: nutmeg is out, and cyprès, basil and absinth are in. Consequently, there has also been a reclassification:

Coriolan - woody chypre
    L'Ame d'un Héros - woody aromatic

I already have stocked up on Coriolan, because I love it more than any other Guerlain masculine except Derby. If they are going to be cheap in the heart of Europe also, I may just get a third bottle (love it's shape ).

Last edited by narcus; 23rd February 2008 at 08:25 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

As I wrote in an earlier thread, Guerlain's PR-worker Isabelle Rousseau herself explains in an e-mail that Coriolan was discontinued because of commercial reasons (i.e. it sold badly) and that L'Âme d'un Héros is simply a reissue of the exact same fragrance as Coriolan.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guerlain View Post
    As I wrote in an earlier thread, Guerlain's PR-worker Isabelle Rousseau herself explains in an e-mail that Coriolan was discontinued because of commercial reasons (i.e. it sold badly) and that L'Âme d'un Héros is simply a reissue of the exact same fragrance as Coriolan.
    Ulrik,

That's good news though I can never rely on what the houses tell me. I hope it is the same stuff because I don't want to spend $200 to buy the new one.

I wonder why osmoz lists it with different notes and classification?

£10.50 for 50ml EdT and Deo stick.
    Bought unsniffed, if I don't like it, i'll store it and sell it off for a whole lot more later

Pluran, you are so right - emails from Guerlain are often full of rubbish. But so are many olfactory pyramids and fragrance classifications.

My logic has been: why admit it's the same juice if you want to sell it again?

Yet, I agree that we won't really solve the mystery before we try it and compare it side by side...

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Ulrik,

That's good news though I can never rely on what the houses tell me. I hope it is the same stuff because I don't want to spend $200 to buy the new one.

I wonder why osmoz lists it with different notes and classification?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guerlain View Post
    Pluran, you are so right - emails from Guerlain are often full of rubbish. But so are many olfactory pyramids and fragrance classifications.

My logic has been: why admit it's the same juice if you want to sell it again?

Yet, I agree that we won't really solve the mystery before we try it and compare it side by side...
    I enjoy conversing with Isabelle Rousseau. Who knows about the pyramid info. It should be clear enough when we smell it. I'm lookin forward to it.
    Last edited by pluran; 23rd February 2008 at 03:24 PM.

$ 48.75 Coriolan + (Sligthly reformuled + new bottle) = $ 205 L'Âme d'un Héros

...Sometimes I feel Perfume Houses treat us as aspirational stupids.

While my view of Coriolan has mellowed since writing my review, I still can't help but comparing it to Baie de Genièvre, which cuts through all the fuss to deliver its finely honed message of juniper and cinnamon succinctly and brilliantly. That perfume is worthy of a Roman war hero's name, while Coriolan is more of a De Bello Mellow Yellow....
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.