Code of Conduct

Question Posting SOTD Before Actually Wearing?

I confess I do this a lot as it makes it easier for me to pick my SOTD.

Of course if I get a jones for a frag that I can't shake then that's what I wear, sort of like listening to a song that's stuck in your head in a counterintuitive effort to get it out, at least for a little while.

But when it's down to a few I'll sometimes post one arbitrarily and that's what I wear.

Does anyone else do this, or have other methods for choosing what to wear when you're feeling indecisive?
    Loves of Late: Agua Lavanda, Eau Sauvage, Gendarme, Guerlain Vetiver, Guerlain EdC Imperiale, Ivoire de Balmain, Kenzo PH, Mitsouko, Royall Lyme, Tabac Original

Default Re: Posting SOTD Before Actually Wearing?

I sometimes need a little kick in the butt to get my day going, so yes, I confess, I do this myself.

I also sometimes use other Basenoters' choices as "hints" for my next SOTD and/or SOTE. For example, I saw that someone today chose Yang by Jacques Fath. I haven't worn my Yang in a while (boy, that sounded bad!) and think I'll wear my Yang tomorrow. (Will YOU be wearing YOUR Yang?)

Seriously, I do this kind of SOTD selection fairly often -- just crack it up to the power of suggestion, I reckon.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Yes I do I choose the previous night before retiring. I spray a little on the back of my hand as a "cheat" before I wake. If it's something new and don't care for it, I'll edit my post with a known preference.
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." HERBERT SPENCER

God I love Basenoters! I often will name my sotd before I actually even shower. The real kicker is that a couple of times I have changed my mind and worn something alltogether different and didn't bother to change my sotd. I enered it as my sote later in the day. There, I feel better now!

This is an interesting thread. Honestly, every time I posted my SotD before I applied it, I actually ended up wearing something else. I basically decide what I am going to wear as soon as I get out of the shower. It is pretty spontaneous, depending on how I am feeling at that very moment.

I do that all the time.. but it's pretty rare that I change my SoTD

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Yes, I pre-plan my fragrance like I pre-plan my clothes: the night before.

Most of the time I post my SOTD from work while I am actually wearing and enjoying it.

tvlampboy - yes I am wearing my Yang todayand loving it, I bought it about a month ago but never wore it as my SOTD before
    My Top Six - Guerlain Vetiver, Santal Noble, Bois Du Portugal, Antaeus, GIT, Vetiver Extraordinaire

Wardrobe

Well, I'd only choose my SOTD the night before wearing it if I have something special to do, attending business bouquet for example, or having a date. But if there's nothing special, I'd decide right in that morning, normally after a shower, I'd think hard of what to wear, which has a lot to do with the weather and my mood. Old ones would be left behind. I'd wear new ones and then go back to older ones, but since 2008 I haven't been able to stop myself from buying, so I have been wearing new scents for the past 4-5 weeks.

And since I have about 150 bottles, I also wear another scent after the shower at the gym. I love walking home smelling a bit warm and sweet, it just fits the nighttime.

Also, for the past 2 weeks, I got 2 stalkers, not sure if that was by the scent I wore. One night it was Sander for Men (1999) and another was Jacomo Rouge. Both of the stalkers were gay and asked impolite questions. Guess it was a power of cologne. LOL.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

I shower, and then go stand in front of my frag fridge and pick what speaks to me at that moment or seems right. Very little advance thought or planning.

Post Re: Posting SOTD Before Actually Wearing?

Do you think we are into fragrances......OR WHAT??
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

In fact, when I don't end up wearing what I posted, I feel guilty. Imagine that! :-)
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet View Post
    Yes I do I choose the previous night before retiring. I spray a little on the back of my hand as a "cheat" before I wake. If it's something new and don't care for it, I'll edit my post with a known preference.
    I do the posting the night before also, because I can't always get to it first thing in the morning. And I also spray a bit on my hand before retiring as a promise of the day to come. If I feel tempted to switch, though, I usually don't. I try to stay true to my post.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

it depends when i see the sotd thread pop up, due to the time difference. if it's before i'm sprayed, then i'll make a descision then.
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

As of now, I have many samples to choose from. I just grab one and shower and apply. When I get to work and have a break I will post my SotD. Sometimes I check to see if anyone commented about it in the thread or talked about the fragrance elsewhere later that day.

Once I start wearing something regularly I probably won't end up posting what I'm wearing but who knows!

There's an EDIT button people! Or you could print a retraction and correction in tomorrow's edition.

SOTD TBD...

Quote Originally Posted by Circa1905 View Post
    I shower, and then go stand in front of my frag fridge and pick what speaks to me at that moment or seems right. Very little advance thought or planning.

Tooooooooooooo much info Mr C!!!
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."

Daily Wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by Lightninrod View Post
    Tooooooooooooo much info Mr C!!!
    Dirty old man! I put on pants before hand--I don't stand naked w/ hands on hips in front of my cooler!!

Quote Originally Posted by Circa1905 View Post
    Dirty old man! I put on pants before hand--I don't stand naked w/ hands on hips in front of my cooler!!
    Toooooooo much information for those of us who understood what you meant the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Toooooooo much information for those of us who understood what you meant the first time.
    What? That I don't choose my sotd in advance? Or that I don't choose it naked?

What an odd response.