Code of Conduct

Default Testing Fragrances Using the Card Provided

I have decided not to use the cards provided by shops to test fragrances whenever possible. My decision has come about after I tested a few fragrances on the test cards today, but did not make a note of which fragrance was on which card. I'm usually pretty good at distinguishing notes, and consequently the fragrance on the card later in the day as long as I know what I've tried, and what notes I'm looking for. I enjoy doing this.

However, when I came home to sniff out the card containing Chanel Allure Sport which was the only fragrance I tried on my wrist I was in a muddle, as I was comparing the scent on my skin to the scent on the card. I'm aware of the reasons why fragrances can smell very different on the skin then on a piece of card but there's usually a resemblance with the paper and skin. To my nose there isn't with this one. This is at a different part of the spectrum

To cut this short, I found the card containing Allure Sport by the process of elimination.

Unless I am going to be commuting on a packed tube after I test fragrances, I will only test on my skin so I can really experience the drydown, and the way it can differ to the initial application. (I made this mistake today when I tried kouros... bad move to use the tube).

Default Re: Testing Fragrances Using the Card Provided

I always disliked testing frags by trying to smell them from a paper card. To me they always smell weird, plus it's generally not a good idea to try very many perfumes in one day. Perhaps the cards should only be used for rough elimination of those you absolutely don't want. Otherwise, I pick two frags, then spray one on each wrist and I'm done for the day. Kinda slow, but eventually, you get what you want. I would much prefer samples than strolling through the store if it werent for the nice ladies working there...

The card test usually is a disaster for me. My last experience was with my beloved Chanel #5 that I haven't owned in many years. I wanted DH to smell it, but since I was already wearing perfume when we approched the counter, I sprayed a card, waved it dramaticly in the air, and presented it to him. He responded with a crinkled up nose and walked away, complaining that he hates all perfumes sold at department stores. I did not buy a bottle that day. I have since presented him with a perfumed wrist and he complements the fragrance.
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

Cards are bad, the ribbons they sometimes provide only marginally better. A lot of the time the cards without any fragrance themselves have an overtly pungent odor which sometimes translates through to the fragrance, which is unfortunate.

I *always* scribble down the name of the frag on the card. Otherwise it's really a mess when I come home.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by electric View Post
    I always disliked testing frags by trying to smell them from a paper card. To me they always smell weird, plus it's generally not a good idea to try very many perfumes in one day.
    Me too.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle