Code of Conduct

Default Testing Fragrances Using the Card Provided

I have decided not to use the cards provided by shops to test fragrances whenever possible. My decision has come about after I tested a few fragrances on the test cards today, but did not make a note of which fragrance was on which card. I'm usually pretty good at distinguishing notes, and consequently the fragrance on the card later in the day as long as I know what I've tried, and what notes I'm looking for. I enjoy doing this.

However, when I came home to sniff out the card containing Chanel Allure Sport which was the only fragrance I tried on my wrist I was in a muddle, as I was comparing the scent on my skin to the scent on the card. I'm aware of the reasons why fragrances can smell very different on the skin then on a piece of card but there's usually a resemblance with the paper and skin. To my nose there isn't with this one. This is at a different part of the spectrum

To cut this short, I found the card containing Allure Sport by the process of elimination.

Unless I am going to be commuting on a packed tube after I test fragrances, I will only test on my skin so I can really experience the drydown, and the way it can differ to the initial application. (I made this mistake today when I tried kouros... bad move to use the tube).

Default Re: Testing Fragrances Using the Card Provided

I always disliked testing frags by trying to smell them from a paper card. To me they always smell weird, plus it's generally not a good idea to try very many perfumes in one day. Perhaps the cards should only be used for rough elimination of those you absolutely don't want. Otherwise, I pick two frags, then spray one on each wrist and I'm done for the day. Kinda slow, but eventually, you get what you want. I would much prefer samples than strolling through the store if it werent for the nice ladies working there...

The card test usually is a disaster for me. My last experience was with my beloved Chanel #5 that I haven't owned in many years. I wanted DH to smell it, but since I was already wearing perfume when we approched the counter, I sprayed a card, waved it dramaticly in the air, and presented it to him. He responded with a crinkled up nose and walked away, complaining that he hates all perfumes sold at department stores. I did not buy a bottle that day. I have since presented him with a perfumed wrist and he complements the fragrance.
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

Post Thanks / Like

Cards are bad, the ribbons they sometimes provide only marginally better. A lot of the time the cards without any fragrance themselves have an overtly pungent odor which sometimes translates through to the fragrance, which is unfortunate.

I *always* scribble down the name of the frag on the card. Otherwise it's really a mess when I come home.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by electric View Post
    I always disliked testing frags by trying to smell them from a paper card. To me they always smell weird, plus it's generally not a good idea to try very many perfumes in one day.
    Me too.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac