Code of Conduct

Default Two questions about Bond No 9

I just got some samples of Bond No. 9 (thanks rhm). I've only tried two (Wall st and Riverside Drive). My wife and I really liked Wall St. Here are my questions:

1. Why so much hate for Bond No. 9? I have Erolfa, MI, and SMW and while they might be close to Wall St, there are differences IMHO. Why does everybody hate on Bond so much?

2. Is the only way to get Bond via full retail? (i.e. $190 for Wall St)? If there are other places to get them, where are they? Thanks.
    Current Wishlist: Vetiver Extraordinaire, Rousse & Opus 1870

Default Re: Two questions about Bond No 9

Hey mate, a lot of people are Bond Bashers (This term must be used, as I came up with it and like it :P) simply because they're Creed fanbois. I like a lot of what Bond has to offer, Wall St isn't Erolfa, it's better. Hamptons isn't SMW, it's got a lot more woody elements. Bleecker Street isn't Original Vetiver, it just isn't. There's one that apparently smells like Rochas Man, and i'll have to agree on that, but it's mainly because they're both well done gourmands.

There are a few people, few and far, that do appreciate Bond (I am one) despite me thinking their marketing strategy is shit (Something screams we're for the Nouveau Riche only) I am still an admirer of their fragrances.

But, Bond no. 9 fragrances can be found cheap on e-bay, there was one seller selling 100ml bottles for $120 + $12 shipping (he had Wall St, and several others), now that's a steal compared to $190 (is that for 50 or 100ml?) Just give it a search, he had over 1000 positive feedback at 99.8% or something, I made a thread and asked if the bottles were authentic, several people thought they were.

So, if you like Wall St, ignore what other people say, wear it and have fun

More than happy to answer this one

I hate Bond because:

1) Their bullying of small perfume companies in regard to the usage of words in product titles. (ex. Bond apparently thinks they own all exclusive rights to the word "peace", when used in any relation to fragrance.
    2) They are extremely expensive, and in my opinion, unjustifyably overpriced.
    3) They have released a huge number of fragrances in a very short amount of time. How much consideration can be given to each fragrance when they are cranking them out at such a fast rate?
    4) It seems that many Bond scents are attempts to copy Creed scents. The perfumer from Bond previously worked at Creed, and from what I've come to understand, was fired/terminated/shitcanned. So not long after that, this person starts their own company and releases a large number of fragrances that have undeniable similarities to obviously-acknowledged Creed scents like Green Irish Tweed and Erolfa.
    5) The packaging is ridiculous, clownish, and tacky. Like a freaking carnival prize for popping a ballon with a dart.
    6) I really just don't like many of their scents! Other than the Creed ripoffs, they're generally uninspired, muddy, irresolute, bland, and just plain not interesting. New Haarlem and Eau de New York are decent, but even those I'd NEVER pay the $200+ for.
    7) The only discernable brand "image" I can think of has to do with snooty, rich idiotic women who are too patronizing to one another that they don't notice the unjustifiability in their product line.

You suck, Bond. Pull your heads out of your asses.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Wink Re: Two questions about Bond No 9

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Creed fanbois.
    And they're from Portugal?
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Th Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post

I hate Bond because:

1) Their bullying of small perfume companies in regard to the usage of words in product titles. (ex. Bond apparently thinks they own all exclusive rights to the word "peace", when used in any relation to fragrance.
    3) They have released a huge number of fragrances in a very short amount of time. How much consideration can be given to each fragrance when they are cranking them out at such a fast rate?
    4) It seems that many Bond scents are attempts to copy Creed scents. The perfumer from Bond previously worked at Creed, and from what I've come to understand, was fired/terminated/shitcanned. So not long after that, this person starts their own company and releases a large number of fragrances that have undeniable similarities to obviously-acknowledged Creed scents like Green Irish Tweed and Erolfa.
    5) The packaging is ridiculous, clownish, and tacky. Like a freaking carnival prize for popping a ballon with a dart.
    6) I really just don't like many of their scents! Other than the Creed ripoffs, they're generally uninspired, muddy, irresolute, bland, and just plain not interesting. New Haarlem and Eau de New York are decent, but even those I'd NEVER pay the $200+ for.
    7) The only discernable brand "image" I can think of has to do with snooty, rich idiotic women who are too patronizing to one another that they don't notice the unjustifiability in their product line.

Brother, you've won yourself a wolf shirt!!

Really though, I would say that while I don't hate Bond, I do agree with most of what Scentronic wrote. In about five years they have tried to recreate the prestige that took Creed 200+ years. The reality is that whereas Bond has done it by churning out scent after uninspired scent (30+ scents in five years), Creed did it by turning out quality product. Practically all of the Bond scents that I've sampled have either been highly derivative of another house (ahem) or very uninspiring. Given, there are some fragrances from Bond that I really do enjoy, such as Central Park (my SotD) and Chinatown, but other aspects of the house (such as those mentioned by Scentronic) just leave me feeling "whatev".
    You are not your perfume.

Hey mate, a lot of people are Bond Bashers (This term must be used, as I came up with it and like it :P) simply because they're Creed fanbois.
    or perhaps it's just not a very good product...

Is fanbois the French spelling for fanboy?

Ah, another "Yes Bond, No Bond" discussion.

You can find good deals on Ebay...I have bought a few, and none have had me posting "Help my Bond is fake!!!!" threads on Basenotes yet.
    -

I hate Bond because:

I didn't know #1 or #4. That's a bit uncalled for. I don't know if th scents are any good (yet to smell any), but I must say I can't stand and don't care to support those kind of business practices.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Samplermike, I don't want to get into an argument but thats completely based on people's opinions. But I think your signature may involve a slight bias?

Scentronic:
    Point 1, Source?

Point 2, Say we're comparing to Creed, and talking retail price, in the US as far as I am aware 1oz of a Creed fragrance, retail, costs $110. If we take the smaller 1.7oz Bond bottles, they're $125. This shows that Bond is cheaper, when comparing the smallest sizes. Both are available cheaper off e-bay, but with Bond you don't need to worry about bottles turning and authenticity (as the bottles aren't replicated) Plus, the bigger bottles are usually the price of the 1.7oz bottles or cheaper on e-bay.

Point 3, They have several in-house perfumers and work on simultaneous projects at once, same amount of thought just more of a work-force, so I don't see the point of that argument.

Point 4, If you think of them as being the same and as i've proved Bond works out cheaper, why not use the Bonds? But personally, I agree on the copying, but find them modernised and youthful versions of what they're said to be, and as a younger person, I can appreciate this.Plus, I'd like to hear anyone name the Creed counterpart to Bleecker Street, Eau de New York, Silver Factor, West Side, Little Italy, or Chinatown.

Point 5, It's extravagant, fun and different, and it gets attention, in my eyes, for all the right reasons. More of a significant opinion based thing, can't blame a house just because you don't like their packaging, anyway, it's about the scent inside.

Point 6, Once again, thats just you, if you don't want to pay $200, how about trying a smaller size, or buying the bigger 3.3oz off e-bay for $100-$120? As i've allready said Bleecker Street, Eau de New York, Silver Factor, West Side, Little Italy and Chinatown aren't rip-offs of Creeds, and they're still popular

Point 7, After all this arguing, i'm going to have to agree. But, to be fair, not many people like Tom Ford's advertising and publicity schemes, yet still deeply appreciate the fragrances, once again, don't base your entire view on just that.

I'm not a Bond or a Creed devotee, I appreciate and intend to purchase scents from both lines, i'd just like to see Bond being given a fair chance

Quote Originally Posted by primetime34 View Post
    I just got some samples of Bond No. 9 (thanks rhm). I've only tried two (Wall st and Riverside Drive). My wife and I really liked Wall St. Here are my questions:

1. Why so much hate for Bond No. 9? I have Erolfa, MI, and SMW and while they might be close to Wall St, there are differences IMHO. Why does everybody hate on Bond so much?

2. Is the only way to get Bond via full retail? (i.e. $190 for Wall St)? If there are other places to get them, where are they? Thanks.
    I don't 'hate' Bond, I just dislike their marketing and overzealous lawyers. Bond Wall street is a fine fragrance, but I refuse to pay the huge mark-up just because it is a 'Bond' product. I have a similar dislike of Creed's cost structure, but you can find them for a reasonable sum.

Bond is simply cashing in on their popularity and elitism.
    Last edited by greendragon; 23rd February 2008 at 09:58 PM.
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

I think that the level of bad ress for the Bond fragrances is unjustified, to a certain extent.

Yes, I do agre that the marketing of Bond fragrances can be a bit lame (Especially with the limited edition bottles cut with diamonds for a too expensive price.) However I do find many Bond fragrances to be excellent, such as Coney Island, Silver Factor, Hapton's and Riverside Drive, and lets be honest here, $125 is a regular price to pay for niche fragrances.

Regarding the packaging of the Bond No 9 fragrances, I can honestly say that I like the packaging. The bottles look good, the spray mechanism is excellent, and the lid looks smart. The box the fragrance is contained in is excellent as well, addiding a bit of class to the finished product.

Although people can claim that some of the fragrances "rip-off" Creed fragrances, you can not tell me that they are the same note for note. There are lot's of other similar fragrances on the market but nobody else is going on about the others. For example nobody claims that Original Santal by Creed rips off Joop for men in it's top notes when the similarities are obvious. It is only after the drydown the fragrance becomes more fruity and different.

I also understand that sometimes a brands scents just dont work for certain people, as is with myself and Armani fragrances, which never seem to appeal to me. And it is even more understandable if someone has a particularly strong alliegance to one fragrance house.

I think that the fragrance house will start to slow down releases now, as there is only the new Andy Warhol release announced so far this yar, but I guess time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    or perhaps it's just not a very good product...

Is fanbois the French spelling for fanboy?
    It's actually fairly common on teh internetz to spell fanboy as ' fanboi'

I just got some samples of Bond No. 9 (thanks rhm). I've only tried two (Wall st and Riverside Drive). My wife and I really liked Wall St.
    I once owned both Wall St. and Riverside. Both are quality well-made scents with outstanding longevity and you can find good deals on ebay, caveat emptor, and occasionally a Basenoter has one or the other for sale.

Scentronic did a thorough job of explaining some of the negativity aimed at Bond. I admit I am not a big a fan of the company and its marketing tactics but I can reconcile the cognitive dissonance I feel and enjoy a few their scents regardless.

Samplermike, I don't want to get into an argument but thats completely based on people's opinions. But I think your signature may involve a slight bias?

Dude, you turned a Bond thread into a Bond vs. (I hate) Creed thread. Why hijack this by mentioning Creed when the OP is clearly asking about Bond? You walked straight into that. If that's not trolling I don't know what is...

Sur la Plage

I don't hate Bond, I just haven't been very impressed with most of their fragrances that I have sampled - and I have sampled most of them. And for the price that they want, I would really need to be in love with the fragrance to purchase it.

However, I just recently sampled Silver Factory. This is the first Bond fragrance that I thought was something special. I was really wowed by it - particularly the incense notes. It seemed like it had very good logevity and sillage also. This may be my first Bond purchase - but I am still not sure I want to shell out $230 for a bottle though.

Bond's bottles are funky. I don't feel compelled though to shelf out so much money for their fragrances. But that goes the same for other niche perfumes.

I'm predisposed to dislike the house. Technically it's a fragrance manufacturer, sure, but really I think Bond is just an advertising gimmick. I think the smells of products aren't creative, I think they're immitations. I think they're very expensive. I think they give a huge sales commission to sales associates because when I've been in stores carrying them I get pressured to buy them more than usual. That disposes me against the house. I think the bottles are dumb, and they tip over.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I liked Bond when they first came out, "defending" them against the clone disputes, preferring Chez Bond to GIT, for instance. By the time they came out with The Hamptons fragrance, I threw in the towel. I've tried maybe one since then, and still own a few--but they just seemed to be flooding the market with expensive clones, and I mean FLOOD--as in when it rains, it pours. It wouldn't be so bad if they released maybe one or two a year, but they've gone well, well beyond that. I can't speak of some of their newer offerings, but I do have, and find, Wall St. to be one of their more original offerings. To me, there's just too many other interesting houses out there that trump them in terms of creativity, and when it comes to the bottom line, if I'm going to spend $150+ on a fragrance, it better not smell like a variation of something I already have, especially at quarter of the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Thebark View Post
    but they just seemed to be flooding the market with expensive clones, and I mean FLOOD--as in when it rains, it pours. It wouldn't be so bad if they released maybe one or two a year, but they've gone well, well beyond that.
    To be fair, Bond isn't the only house flooding the market. The grand house of Guerlain launched THIRTEEN fragrances in 2006, and FOURTEEN in 2007! I tried most of them and except for 3 or 4, most didn't hold my interest for long. Dior launched 9 fragrances in 2007. From the looks of it, the house of Givenchy is also set on flooding the market with a lot of fragrances this year ...

Fragrance houses are releasing too many fragrances per year. 4 or 5 per year per would be more bearable.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    To be fair, Bond isn't the only house flooding the market. The grand house of Guerlain launched THIRTEEN fragrances in 2006, and FOURTEEN in 2007!
    Yes, but how many are truly new fragrances and not new versions of pre-existing fragrances? Bond's fragrances are all to be unique, and even if you commissioned many of the world's best noses, I find it hard to accept that one's able to release so many "unique" and truly well-developed scents in such a short amount of time. Granted, all of the Bonds I've sampled have had superior longevity, but none of them I'd be willing to shell out big bucks for (though New Haarlem and Coney Island are quite nice, and the Sak's fragrance would be excellent if it were 30% of the price it's going for). Oh, and the sales people are pushy as hell, every time I try something out the guy is pretty much bagging it up for me and seems disappointed when I don't commit to purchase.

For all I care, if they didn't exist, I don't think I'd be much upset as they really haven't made a significant contribution to the corpus of great scents out there (of course, in my opinion). Creed on the other hand...

*Oh, but back to the original question: if you want it cheap, eBay is pretty much your best bet. Laurice pretty much got a lockdown on distribution, so it's hard to find product outside of its "official" channels.

Bleecker Street isn't Original Vetiver, it just isn't.
    LMAO! AHAHAHAHA
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    none have had me posting "Help my Bond is fake!!!!" threads on Basenotes yet.
    which is a constant worry with Creed...
    Last edited by somethinpositiv; 25th February 2008 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

I love the Bond No. 9 scents. Last Saterday I bought my first Bond fragrance "Wall Street". For me it is one of the best fragrances (right now). I also got 8 bottles of Creed (also very nice).
    Dont listen to the haters. My girlfriend flipped out, because of Wall Street.

all Bonds (even Hamptons) got lasting power...sometimes more than Creed. Believe me I tested so many fragrances and Bonds is very good house.

Quote Originally Posted by Thebark View Post
    I liked Bond when they first came out, "defending" them against the clone disputes, preferring Chez Bond to GIT, for instance. By the time they came out with The Hamptons fragrance, I threw in the towel.
    True, through Chez Bond and Hamptons they copied GIT and SMW exactly, Creed's two best sellers. That was Laurice exacting revenge on Creed for some wrong they apparently committed against her (by firing her?). She needs to get over it. Plagiarism is wrong, true, but because they ripped off these two exactly, suddenly with every new fragrance they put out (and they put out a lot), comparisons to Creed are suddenly made, and similarities appear out of thin air. Wallstreet is a rip off of Erolfa and Millesime Imperial? Sorry, didn't know Creed has the copyright to aquatics. Wallstreet is no more like Erolfa than it is like Acqua di Gio or L'eau D'issey. These comparison's are getting ridiculous. Bleecker Street ripped off of Original Vetiver? People who don't know what they're talking about should... leave the discussion to people that can make intelligent arguments (on both sides). When the new Andy Warhol comes out, people are going to start to say "It's a copy of Spring Flower!" "It smells just like Love in White!" "It was inspired by Zeste Mandarin Pamplemousse!" I can't wait...
    Last edited by somethinpositiv; 25th February 2008 at 10:29 AM.

I'm wearing Bleecker Street today and it doesn't smell like anything I've smelled before....parts of it are familiar, but overall it is its own fragrance. I have quite a few Creeds (with two more on the way...Erolfa and Selection Verte), but there are now two Bonds I want...Wall St and Bleecker St. They are unique and I like them. I guess it is okay to like both.

but there are now two Bonds I want...Wall St and Bleecker St. They are unique and I like them. I guess it is okay to like both.
    No, it is not okay. You can only like Creed.

Scentronic:
    Point 1, Source?
    Throwing this one in here: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=204231

-----------------------------------------------------------

I haven't tried any of the Bond scents, but given their business practices I'm not in a hurry to do so either...

I tend to agree with Scentronic for the most part. The sudden expulsion of 20 something scents was because most the work had been done for her. I dislike bond for 2 reasons:

1. I can't physically wear their fragrances. It makes me ill.

2. The lack of integrity of the company.

I hear some people don't like the bottle. I use to but I don't anymore. Those stickers glued to the bottle are cheap and tacky. To say she had revenge on Creed by coping their two popular scents is retarded. This does not smack of revenge, it smacks of idioticy. All it proves is that she is a blatant ripoff with a lack of inspiration to birth her own legends. I guess Sean John was following suit and said "If Bond can do it, I can too". So, she paved the way for other impressionist artists. Personally, I won't pay big bucks for someone's "impression" or "version" of a famous scent. Those kinds of frags belong in a drugstore.
    Last edited by Scentologist; 25th February 2008 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    1. I can't physically wear their fragrances. It makes me ill.
    Really? All 1923456630 of their fragrances make you ill? I didn't realize Bond had a house note, I thought that was one thing they hadn't stolen from Creed.
    To say she had revenge on Creed by coping their two popular scents is retarded.
    Saying "that's retarded" is "retarded". Just like saying "that's gay". Those phrases reek of ignorance.
    Last edited by somethinpositiv; 26th February 2008 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I expected an insible childish remark but goodness, you could have put more thought into your reply. Has the well ran dry in your defense of Bond? I thought so. Its ok, perhaps you can organize a "Bond Pride Day" and march for your cause.

There's no need at all to get on a personal level with anyone. This thread is about Creed vs. Bond. Period.
    Last edited by leor_77; 26th February 2008 at 04:53 AM.

I tend to agree and find the attacks tiresome by "somethingpositiv....or whatever". Being a mild rectal itch by trying to chaf and inflame the anal cavities of all those who do not like Bond, is simply not the way to go here.

Dude, chill out, by saying that are really bringing this thread down. This isn't about you or him or namecalling between the two of you.

I have no problem with whoever likes Bond for any reason, but I simply cannot support a company that does little to progress the art of perfumery. It may turn out well in the end, and maybe Bond will release something truly great (there's been hints of it from time to time), but until then, you won't see a bottle on my dresser.

Creed is a good niche house and Bond No.9 is good niche house. I like them both. I like SMW and Hamptons (both different) and I like Wall Street and M.I. (both different). Maybe they share some notes, but thats ok for me. I like this kind of fragrances. That´s I got 8 bottles of Creed and I´m starting to get some Bond´s (Wall Street I already got this one)...the next could be Hamptons, Bleecker St., Little Italy, Eau de New York!
    I would never choose a side which fragrance company is the best...just the smell counts. that´s it.

I expected an insible childish remark
    From who?
    Being a mild rectal itch by trying to chaf and inflame the anal cavities of all those who do not like Bond, is simply not the way to go here.
    Childish? Yeah.
    Last edited by somethinpositiv; 26th February 2008 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Sigh. I like Bond. I like Creed. Can't we all just get along?

Coney Island has become a real staple for me. I like the packaging and the funky bottles. I also love my two Creeds: REL and VIW. I'm not interested in politics and whatnot. Just what smells good. Which is what this should be about, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuffman View Post
    This isn't about you or him or namecalling between the two of you.
    Tell that to Scientologist. He feels the need to denigrate me and my comments by calling them "retarded" and me a "rectal itch." Some people need to chill out and grow some balls and not flip out anytime someone plays the Devil's Advocate. Grow up, child.

If this doesn't get back on topic it will be locked.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G View Post
    If this doesn't get back on topic it will be locked.
    As it should be.

To summarise for the original poster:

1. Bond do make good fragrances.
    2. Some people like them, some people dont.
    3. They are expensive, but no more expensive than most Niche fragrances these days.
    4. There are question marks over whether some fragrances rip off other fragrance houses.
    5. The packaging is a love or hate issue.
    6. People dont like Bond because of the person who established the company and the way they run it.
    7. Others buy fragrances based on the quality of the product exclusively.

@LeeScot, that´s true...so you can put any fragrance house in it and discuss it.
    This list suit also to other fragrance houses.
    I couldn´t decide between Bond and Creed...both got good fragrances...thats it.
    I also I love Hermés, Frederic Malle, Serge Lutens and so on...I love fragrances...how can someone hate a house or fragrance...everybody got different taste ...hate it or love it...thats it

Wow, talk about a thread that has left its original purpose. I just wanted to know two things:
    Why people don't like Bond so much (that questions has been answered)

Is there anywhere to get Bond for less than retail (kind of answered)

A previous poster stated that this thread was Creed v. Bond....it isn't. In fact, this seems to be the problem with so many of the Bond threads...they turn into Creed v. Bond. To quote Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along?"

I don't like the owner of the company. I did not like her when she was with Creed, I would not purchase in the states, and told them in Paris how nasty she was. I therefore would never think to purchase from Bond. I would not buy a cracker from the woman if I were starving, and she was the only source of food. I think her prices are outrageous, her scents meh, and the whole concept tasteless.
    Not another soul has to agree, just me and my musings
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

@Brielle87, I´m not interested who is the owner of the company. Just the smell counts and I get many compliments when I´m wearing Wall Street...I wear a lot of different fragrances...from Frederic Malle to Serge Lutens, from Creed to Bond...I don´t care about the politics, prices and so on...if it´s good for my nose and brain I will wear it...and testing fragrances will never stop...point blank.

I pretty much feel the same as Brielle87. There are so many other, more original, fragrance lines out there who are more deserving of my money than the repellent Ms. Rahme. And besides, avoiding her line also sends a message to Saks as to how pathetic their fragrance selection has become in recent years.

I have to agree with tigers1901 in one respect, September was my first visit to a SAK's store when looking fro fragrance, and apart from the Bond No 9 section, the male fragrance selection was terrible, hardly any choice at all...

It is almost as if they are only interested in you if you want to buy Bond No 9. Still, I might pick up one or two when I am next in Florida, depends how the new Andy Warhol scent is.

Quote Originally Posted by P-Natra View Post
    @Brielle87, Im not interested who is the owner of the company. Just the smell counts and I get many compliments when Im wearing Wall Street...I wear a lot of different fragrances...from Frederic Malle to Serge Lutens, from Creed to Bond...I dont care about the politics, prices and so on...if its good for my nose and brain I will wear it...and testing fragrances will never stop...point blank.
    She has personal distaste for the purveyor, no problem. If you are concerned about smell, saddly, the same effect can be had by much cheaper scents, in my opinion or course.

Nobody likes Laurice Rahme. She has no integrity. However, that's not going to make me boycott the company if they have some good scents, she's rich no matter what.

By the way, I just realized this: Rule of thumb is the more unique the Bond bottle, the more unique the scent (Eau de New York, Bleecker Street, West Side, Silver Factory.) You'll notice that the Bonds that plagiarize other houses tend to be in the clear bottles (Chez Bond, Hamptons, Great Jones, New Haarlem).

To date I have received one sample of Bond No 9 and it was Wall St. It reaked I thought, smelled of cucumbers and kale. I don't let one bad experience write off an entire house and looked forward to sampling their other offerings..... Until Bond No 9 threatened a lawsuit against Liz Zorn and Anya McCoy and their little specialty artisan perfume companies because they used the words "Peace" and "Riverside" in some of their scent names, i.e. Peace on Earth, Riverside. The irony of threatening to sue over the word "peace" is not lost on me.

After that I will have nothing to do with Bond No 9.

I hate Bond because:

I'm not defending anything or anyone. Personally I don't think Bond comes anywhere in the same stratosphere as Creed. But assertion #4 is false. The perfumer DID not work for Creed. The owner however did. She was not fired it was a mutual departure from Oliver.

Cheers,
    Al

H.O.T. Always is a magnificent fragrance, original and exceptionally well made. Silver Factory as well and Nouveau Bowery is a marvelous citrus. Wall Street is a sharp clean mean green that's lovely in the morning. After that the line kind of falls apart for me.
    Last edited by anak; 14th August 2008 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Man's Hand View Post
    After that I will have nothing to do with Bond No 9.
    you show 'em!
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Of for FFS, grow up the bloody lot of you.

I've got three Bonds, Eau De New York, Riverside Drive and Hamptons, I like all of them.

I prefer Penhaligon's to either Bond or Creed. So what does that make me?
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by anak View Post
    H.O.T. Always is a magnificent fragrance, original and exceptionally well made.
    All im going to say is...Givechy Gentlemen!

/runs away giggling like a school girl.

But seriously, what I don't understand are how people say Bond is overpriced - I mean $125 for a retail 1.7oz 50ml bottle with a box and cap, imagine if testers we're available, i'd bet they would go for less than $100. Their prices aren't anymore outrageous than any other niche house. That being said, I absolutely love how a lot of them smell on me, soooo to anyone who actually takes the time to sample the fragrance, who cares?
    Last edited by s0me0nesmind1; 14th August 2008 at 01:26 PM.

Thanks for this insightful, comical and tense discussion on Creed v Bond. Sounds like a new Rocky movie to me.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    I prefer Penhaligon's to either Bond or Creed. So what does that make me?
    A snooty Brit

I like Penhaligon's, too, but it's the price that scares me off. I can find Bond's and genuine Creed's at discounters but rarely do I see Penhaligons.

Blog Entries

Bond No. 9 stuff is great...expensive, but great.

they don't copy Creed, that's BS......Creed themselves are copyists, so let's not get into who copied who....

Let's give an example of a Bond No. 9 that i find interesting ----- Great Jones, for example. Great Jones is a very very GOOD copy of Paco Rabanne....it removes all the side stuff from Paco Rabanne, and comes across as a very PURE version of a very classic fragrance. I'm not sure how they get away with such plagiarism, but when it's done THIS well...i'm not complaining.

Eventually i'll pick up a Great Jones, because of my immense appreciation for Paco Rabanne, however I do agree with some of you that the bottles/packaging are quite tacky....however, at least it's not as ugly as Creed.

My feelings about Bond No. 9 changed greatly AFTER i visited the wonderful Bond Street shop they have...it's a great shop, not tacky at all...and very classy with very nice people.

How is the packaging tacky? It's unique thats for sure...A box with a perfect fit for a star shaped bottle looks great to me. I love the bottle designs of West Side, Silver Factory, and Wall Street too . But tacky? All I see is classy unless you think star shapes is tacky.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by s0me0nesmind1 View Post
    How is the packaging tacky? It's unique thats for sure...A box with a perfect fit for a star shaped bottle looks great to me. I love the bottle designs of West Side, Silver Factory, and Wall Street too . But tacky? All I see is classy unless you think star shapes is tacky.
    you don't find this stuff tacky??

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I didn't know #1 or #4. That's a bit uncalled for. I don't know if th scents are any good (yet to smell any), but I must say I can't stand and don't care to support those kind of business practices.
    Scentronic is right about them being a Creed copy. Last time I went to Saks, the SA asked me what kind of fragrances I prefer. I said I am a huge Creed fan (as anyone will know by looking at my collection, or even just my avatar). The SA went to the counter and picked up a folder and started to read "If you like Creed Erolfa, then you will love......" It reminded me of those generic grocery store fragrances. The ones that read like "if you like Armani, you'll love Armadillo, the new Armani inspired fragrance, for men...

So I asked him what he was reading, and he told me it was a comparison of all Bonds and Creeds that was put out by Bond 9. I asked him why he needed that...and he got embarrassed and quickly changed the subject.
    Last edited by Maz24; 14th August 2008 at 04:49 PM.

Last edited by Maz24; 14th August 2008 at 04:57 PM.

Blog Entries

One of the gripes she had with Creed was them not doing enough to fix their sales distribution. Bond No. 9 is meeting the same fate (I would venture to say its a deliberate thing to increase sales). I could understand a house with some kind of a volume showing up at unauthorized dealers in NY. Anything beyond that would mean the house getting big enough for everything turning into numbers and bottom line.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962