Code of Conduct

Default Gucci Envy: Initial Impressions

Well, I'm probably the only person here who hasn't smelled this until now.

Here are some quick thoughts about 2 hours into the scent.

The opening is spicy, with a hint of citrus. I'm thinking the citrus is actually the ginger, which lends to the spiciness as well. I detected a rubber note about 2 minutes into the scent, but that faded quickly and I'm wondering if my nose wasn't playing tricks on me. The opening was reminding me of something which took me a minute to place: the smell of Ungaro II about 10 minutes into the scent (which also shares some similarities to Chanel's PMC and Paul Smith PS)

The heart is nutmeg heavy over 'woods' - which unfortunatley I can't be more specific about except to say I seem to detect a bit of cedar. There's a pepper aspect throughout although I don't know if pepper is a note or not. I haven't smelled Azzaro visit in a long long time, but it brought that scent to mind. Are these scents similar?

The scent seemed to disappear or was at least heavily muted almost right from the start until an hour or so in. It almost made me think I am anosmic to something in the fragrance, but then it returned after an hour and was more prominent. By no means is it a 'loud' fragrance, it seems to wear close to the skin. I can't judge longevity just yet, but it seems as if it's fading again and I don't know if it will make it to the 5 or 6 hour mark. It's a shame, because a hint of vanilla or something sweet is poking through from the base and is rounding off some jagged edges that persisted from the top through the heart notes. I've heard others say they think this smells cheap, and I think the jagged edges due to a lack of some round note in the heart, are what cause that impression.

Overall, I like it. I'll need to do full body and under the shirt wearing before I can decide if it's bottle worthy. Initial rating: 70%.

PS: I tested Antidote on my other arm since I had heard someone comment that it was a weak ripoff of Envy and I wanted to either confirm or deny this before I order a large bottle of Antidote. Heck, if Envy was a replacement at half cost, I'd have been happy. Sadly, it's not. Besides a nutmeg note, which is far more prominent in Envy, they are not similar at all until a few hours in once the sweetness in the base announces itself in Envy. Antidote is softer, smoother, and more round all throughout its evolution. It also starts out far more citric and less spicy, and turns more soft and round (a bit powdery) in the heart.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Default Re: Gucci Envy: Initial Impressions

How much % would you rate Antidote compared to Envy?
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Perhaps it is just my skin chemisty, my nose, a combination of both, or some strange alignment of the stars but Antidote is a holy grail contender for me. Granted, I haven't smelled nearly as many different frags as most basenoters, but I've smelled enough to know what works for me. I'm going to write a thorough review of Antidote in due time, once I get my full bottle (I've stretched a 7ml to it's last drops, which I've had to FORCE myself not to use this last week while waiting for some samples to arrive so I could do a side by side comparison.)

Antidote is also a bit smokey and incensey, but much much rounder and smoother throughout. I'd say Antidote is more elegant, romantic, and femine, while Envy is more masculine and rugged and overtly sensual. Antidote is snuggling after making love, Envy is handcuffs and cat-o-nine tails (it's not really *that* sensual, but for comparisons sake I think the analogy works.)

They both stay fairly close to the skin on me. Envy is still around, so I might have misjudged its longevity. Antidote, despite disappearing quickly on some, lasts 8-12 hours on me, and after 5-6 it is at the final stages of its basenotes which is a really lush and creamy vanilla that is somewhat similar to the opening of Hypnotic Poison, without being as heavy or synthetic smelling. I'd rate Antidote 90% or higher.

I do like Envy though, and look forward to a full "proper" wearing. It is definitely distinct enough when compared to Antidote to justify owning both.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 23rd February 2008 at 08:53 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

IMO Envy and Visit aren't similar. I own both and really prefer Envy. Although, it's because I can't wear Visit - but like the scent.. like asphalt in the summer on a rainy day. Envy is spicy too, but has a hint of sweetness, slightly vanilla to me at the base.
    Last edited by Regis Philbin; 23rd February 2008 at 09:00 PM.

Sounds good SOS - Antidote doesn't fare well in the Basenotes reviews, but it sounds like it might be worth to get a sample from this stuff somewhere.

I really like Envy. It's a sensual spicy fragrance, that says: "I'm romantic. Love me".
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

I don't understand why Antidote has been so harshly reviewed. I've noticed that most of the people who have it in their wardrobe rated it 5 stars though, and that they haven't submitted an official review. It's not revolutionary but it is unique, elegant, and just magnificently blended.

The longer I'm wearing Envy, the more I like it. I don't have anything like it in my wardrobe.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

My initial reaction to Envy was that it was a softer version of Opium. Not a bad thing. However, I didn't buy it because I didn't think I'd need a softer version. I will give it another pass this evening and see what my second reaction is.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

I don't ind Envy to be very similar to anything. On me it goes strong but then suddenly disappears and I don't know if my nose gets tired or the scent does not last. did not do time test on my wrist with this one yet.

antidote isn't particularly pleasent to my nose, but i quite enjoy envy...
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors