Code of Conduct

Default Washington Tremlett = Washington that's it?

One of the reasons I don't post much anything of scent value, or reviews, is because I lack the ability to describe accurately what I am smelling. With that, I won't be able to provide something descriptive; the best I can do is tell you what something smells similar to.

Soooo, I had Black Tie on my left arm and Royale Heroes on my right for the last two days. Starting with Black Tie, you would think that the company "who invented the 7 fold tie" would have produced a scent that is both complex and varied with a name like that. I find Black Tie to be neither. I can't describe a scent for nada, but, I can pick up the rose and sandalwood. In short, I find it to be a watered down Montale Attar. Perhaps Attar skin scent is better applicable. There is something cozy about this scent but how many times have you associated "cozy" with a black tie? Exactly. I almost want to say it is feminine scent. Factor in the price point, I'd recommend the Attar, Rose 31 or DC for true black tie events when it comes to rose scents.

On to Royale Heroes. My natural propensity is for scents such as this, based on the description. Perhaps that is why I was let down with built in expectations already in place. Oddly enough, this one has a strong similarity to Creed VIW. I know, this makes no sense since R. Heroes has no coconut. Heroes is smooth and velvety, if that makes sense. Stronger than Black Tie and it does have a musc ravageur "effect" (vanilla musk something something). But I'm left with a feeling that something is missing, somehow incomplete.

Overall, I'd describe both of these as average, meaning, its not bad, but its not great either. If I had to choose between the two, I'd pick Black tie because rose strangely works for me.

TNMA
    Last edited by thenmarcher; 24th February 2008 at 07:13 AM.
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Washington Tremlett = Washington that's it?

I heard Black Tie has a noticeable saffron note in it - would you agree? Saffron is tricky on me...
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

Ive said it before and I'll say it again... LOOOOVES the Black Tie!

i want to like saffron in theory, but in practice it's kind of iffy. am going to chase this up
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher View Post
    One of the reasons I don't post much anything of scent value, or reviews, is because I lack the ability to describe accurately what I am smelling. With that, I won't be able to provide something descriptive; the best I can do is tell you what something smells similar to.

Soooo, I had Black Tie on my left arm and Royale Heroes on my right for the last two days. Starting with Black Tie, you would think that the company "who invented the 7 fold tie" would have produced a scent that is both complex and varied with a name like that. I find Black Tie to be neither. I can't describe a scent for nada, but, I can pick up the rose and sandalwood. In short, I find it to be a watered down Montale Attar. Perhaps Attar skin scent is better applicable. There is something cozy about this scent but how many times have you associated "cozy" with a black tie? Exactly. I almost want to say it is feminine scent. Factor in the price point, I'd recommend the Attar, Rose 31 or DC for true black tie events when it comes to rose scents.

On to Royale Heroes. My natural propensity is for scents such as this, based on the description. Perhaps that is why I was let down with built in expectations already in place. Oddly enough, this one has a strong similarity to Creed VIW. I know, this makes no sense since R. Heroes has no coconut. Heroes is smooth and velvety, if that makes sense. Stronger than Black Tie and it does have a musc ravageur "effect" (vanilla musk something something). But I'm left with a feeling that something is missing, somehow incomplete.

Overall, I'd describe both of these as average, meaning, its not bad, but its not great either. If I had to choose between the two, I'd pick Black tie because rose strangely works for me.

TNMA

I've had these two same samples in the past three days myself. BIG LET DOWN. Both of these just have a note, maybe saffron, that just plain stinks on me. Two of the nastiest frags I've ever tried.

I have spent some time with both of these and have to say they were ok, but did not wow me at all. Black tie reminds me of Black Aoud Lite with a heavy dose of saffron. I got medium longevity and minimum sillage. It came off flat on my skin. Royale Heroes seemed more feminine than masculine; semi-sweet with a Mechant Loup feel to me.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I heard Black Tie has a noticeable saffron note in it - would you agree? Saffron is tricky on me...
    Sorry Mike, I wouldn't know saffron if it poked me in the eye. I'm gonna have to investigate it since others are saying Saffron is the x-factor, such as yourself.

I like how Jock put it, Black Aoud Lite.

TNMA
    Last edited by thenmarcher; 24th February 2008 at 04:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, i've been wanting to try Black Tie kind of because of the Rose and Saffron notes. I'm a big fan of saffron in fragrances, and it works well with my skin chemistry, but unfortunatley, the only sample i've encountered, Safrant Troublant, just smelt like upscale indian pilau rice.

Today is now the 3rd day and the last of my samples. I am more aggravated with Black Tie because I am swayed by the name itself. I hear black tie and at a minimum, I think masculine. However, I am now convinced that this frag is wearable only for women (or those who are more daring than I).

TNMA

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Mike, I wouldn't know saffron if it poked me in the eye. I'm gonna have to investigate it since others are saying Saffron is the x-factor, such as yourself. TNMA
    The smell of saffron is incredibly hard to describe - when it doesn't work in a scent for me, the smell reminds me of eating Italian food (tomato sauce) and leaving the dirty dishes in your sink overnight and smelling them in the morning. A sour, food smell.

Saffron is not present to my nose at all in Black Aoud.

In addition, I don't think saffron makes scents more 'feminine' to my nose. Just more...pungent.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

OOH goodie!
    All this unfavorable comment about BLACK TIE will ensure its a unique scent, worn by few ...and adored by... ME!

Post Thanks / Like

Today is now the 3rd day and the last of my samples. I am more aggravated with Black Tie because I am swayed by the name itself. I hear black tie and at a minimum, I think masculine. However, I am now convinced that this frag is wearable only for women (or those who are more daring than I).

TNMA
    This sentiment is very near and dear to me as well, the implication of a dressy black tie fragrance is almost irresistible, Unfortunately, it appears that this one is at least 5 cents short of a dime. That's too bad. Of course, we are not without consolations as we do have Domenico Caraceni and Rose 31, which I believe would have suited (a-ha) Fred Astaire very well.

Pass on these.
    Last edited by Joe_Frances; 3rd March 2008 at 01:32 AM.

I like Royale Heroes. It's very very different than most fragrances I've tried so it struck a nice vibe with me.

I like wearing it for a relaxing evening of reading. The anise reminded me a little bit of Lolita Lempicka.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    I have spent some time with both of these and have to say they were ok, but did not wow me at all. Black tie reminds me of Black Aoud Lite with a heavy dose of saffron. I got medium longevity and minimum sillage. It came off flat on my skin. Royale Heroes seemed more feminine than masculine; semi-sweet with a Mechant Loup feel to me.

In light of that, here are my testing notes on Black Tie :
    "As I wear and test fragrances I develop more and more points of reference. For better or worse, this often leaves me comparing an unfamiliar scent with one I already know, and so it is with one of the latest lemming scents, Black Tie. When I first put it on, I immediately muttered to myself “Black Aoud.” Black Aoud? Well yes, and no.

Black Tie does for rose and saffron what Black Aoud does for rose and oudh. The two accords somehow manage to smell remarkably similar, despite their different content. The common factor may be the bitter, medicinal edge common to both saffron and oudh. Black Tie’s rose and saffron is less blunt and potent than Black Aoud’s central accord, and hence quite a bit less shocking when it first hits the skin. Black Tie’s rose soon sweetens and takes on a few spicy traveling companions, all of which soften the scent into something more oriental than starkly woody in character.

Once it’s been on the skin for a while Black Tie evolves into a dark, sweet, rose-garnished oriental scent that’s enlivened by its astringent saffron note. The saffron is sharper and more forward here than in Diptyque’s Opone or L’Artisan Parfumeur’s Saffron Troublant, which likewise center on a rose and saffron accord. The rose and saffron in Black Tie are supported by a crisp, dry sandalwood that’s softened by a good deal of vanilla.

Black Tie is a very well-named fragrance. It’s a suave and somewhat formal scent that leaves me feeling very dignified. If you want a spicy, woody rose that’s less challenging than the rose-centered Montale Aouds, yet more monumental in character than say, Opone, you might want to give Black Tie a try. On the other hand, you may just want to hunt down Czech & Speakes great No. 88. It’s even more complex and sophisticated than this scent."
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 3rd March 2008 at 03:11 AM.

Well said!

And yes, I am consoled that I have 4 other rose scents to lean on!

TNMA